Official 2013-2014 GI fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please share: What is the average ivs for a j1 , community program applicant so far
I have 1

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
0 interviews in Sep
10 interviews in Aug
Just goes to show again that nothing about this entire process makes sense!

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the unfounded positions in GI programs, and how to find a sponsor for those positions

Has anyone heard from Cook County, CWRU, MetroHealth, or Brown?

Can someone please let me know what is the standard of DDW abstract acceptance? thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone interviewed at Providence Hospital in Southfield Michigan?
How is that program? and how is their interview?

All of my interviews came in August but haven't heard from programs in September... Has it been like this for others? Are you guys still waiting to hear back from programs? I still have not heard from approx half of the programs I applied to

All of my interviews came in August but haven't heard from programs in September... Has it been like this for others? Are you guys still waiting to hear back from programs? I still have not heard from approx half of the programs I applied to
Hey I got all my interviews in August as well and nothing in September. However, I do know that I am waitlisted at a couple of places. I am not expecting anymore interviews to tell you the truth. For me the season is over!

Hey I got all my interviews in August as well and nothing in September. However, I do know that I am waitlisted at a couple of places. I am not expecting anymore interviews to tell you the truth. For me the season is over!

How did find out that you were on the wait list ? Do you call programs? Or just assume if you didn't receive either iv or rej?

How did find out that you were on the wait list ? Do you call programs? Or just assume if you didn't receive either iv or rej?
1 program emailed me that I am on waitlist
1 program - I called as I did not get rejection when everybody else did.

1 program emailed me that I am on waitlist
1 program - I called as I did not get rejection when everybody else did.

Does anyone know the interview dates for Jefferson?

Einstein Montefiore sent out invites Sept 26 or so. Anyone know how many positions they have?

Tufts rejection, Uni of Utah final rejection after being on hold.....Bad season...people please share interview experiences since its been quiet lately in the forum...it will help us apply/match next year.

Planning ahead. How to get research positions in GI either paid or voluntary? Would really appreciate help from people who have experience. Thank you!

I have upcoming interview at SUNY downstate. Please kindly guide about the GI fellowship - no. of spots, strengths, where to stay during the visit for interview. Also I say on there website that they matched 6 fellows last yr but had 3 fellows in each year before that.... y the increase in spots and is this going to continue this year also?

Tufts rejection, Uni of Utah final rejection after being on hold.....Bad season...people please share interview experiences since its been quiet lately in the forum...it will help us apply/match next year.

it depends on where you are and if you are willing to move. for example, if there is a big university close to you and there is alot of GI research going you can email the PI for that research and tell them you are interrested.

It is not over yet guys. I just received an interview today.

did anyone interview at the texas programs? methodist, UT houston, baylor COM, baylor univ, UT Southwestern? How do you think these programs rank in terms of prestige and quality of training? what were impressions of the interviews for you all.

Has anyone registered for the NRMP?
I did but could not find a section that says I'm registering for the GI match. For me to rank it gives the option to search for the programs through their NRMP number.
Does anyone remember anywhere in the application where they selected GI?

Has anyone registered for the NRMP?
I did but could not find a section that says I'm registering for the GI match. For me to rank it gives the option to search for the programs through their NRMP number.
Does anyone remember anywhere in the application where they selected GI?

You need to select MSM - Medical Subspecialty Match. That includes many Internal Medicine subspecialties. Once you register with that, you can select your program.

You need to select MSM - Medical Subspecialty Match. That includes many Internal Medicine subspecialties. Once you register with that, you can select your program.

Thanks!
So we only pick MSM. And you basically could rank different sub specialties within one application. For example we could rank MGH gi first then Brown endocrine second, duke GI third and so on?

Thanks!
So we only pick MSM. And you basically could rank different sub specialties within one application. For example we could rank MGH gi first then Brown endocrine second, duke GI third and so on?

Sure. Just like you can rank Duke IM first, then MGH Gen Surg 2nd, then UCLA Derm 3rd...etc. Different specialties, same match.

Did anyone interview at NY Methodist hospital? Any information appreciated - No. of positions, internal candidates, etc.
Thank you in advance.

has anyone interviewed at einstein in philly? any information about the program there would be greatly appreciated!

Nobody is sharing IV experiences anywhere in the forum??

Match is in less than 98 hours. Getting very anxious and restless!!

Congratulations to all that matched!

Last edited:
Didn't match! Now I know how it feels like to be depressed! :(

Didn't match! Now I know how it feels like to be depressed! :(

Sorry man. Do you have a good relationship with your internal PD to ask what you can do to be a more competitive applicant?

Congratulations to all the applicants who matched!
Would you like to share your interviews in this forum or under the thread of "GI interview experience"?
Thank you so much!

Matched at my number 1

Please give your input abou tinterviews to help the fellow applicants, thank you so much!
"Interview Impressions for GI"

21 IV, 6 rejections. I still have not heard from more than half the places I applied to. I plan on going to maybe 10-15 interviews. I am an AMG, >250 on boards, top 10 med school and residency, good letters, but my research leaves something to be desired.

I updated the list below.

Interviews:
Albany Medical Center
Albert Einstein - Beth Israel
Banner Good Samaritan - Arizona
Baylor- Houston
Boston Medical Center
Brigham & Women's
Carilion Clinic
Carolinas
Case Western
Case Western MetroHealth