Official 2013-2014 IM Residency WAMC (What Are My Chances) Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a top 20 med school and got 253 on step 1. However, my clinical grades are a mix of pass and high pass, no honors, More importantly, my medicine and primary care grades are both pass. No research, little extracurricular activities. Wanted to know what you all think my chances are top NYC programs such as Cornell, Mt. Sinai, NYU, Montefiore, and LIJ.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I go to a top 20 med school and got 253 on step 1. However, my clinical grades are a mix of pass and high pass, no honors, More importantly, my medicine and primary care grades are both pass. No research, little extracurricular activities. Wanted to know what you all think my chances are top NYC programs such as Cornell, Mt. Sinai, NYU, Montefiore, and LIJ.
Thanks!

If you are near the bottom of your class, then Cornell is a reach. +/- Sinai. The rest should be fine. The best thing you can do at this point is take your sub I early, do really well and get a really strong letter out of it. Also ask current 4th yrs at your school for advice to see what their experience was with the IM match process.

Top programs - slim, very slim. Looks like you are very good at standardized exams and not very good at clinical medicine. You mentioned poor extra-curriculars. Take your face off the books and try learning patient care. Your summary comes off as "I hid myself in my apartment and studied day and night to get a high step 1 score" and that's how programs will see you.
Seriously learn how do perform well in a rotation so that you can honor your sub-I. If you think "it's the residents and attendings they all hate me" consider therapy so that you can learn how to be liked.

Members don't see this ad :)
Top programs - slim, very slim. Looks like you are very good at standardized exams and not very good at clinical medicine. You mentioned poor extra-curriculars. Take your face off the books and try learning patient care. Your summary comes off as "I hid myself in my apartment and studied day and night to get a high step 1 score" and that's how programs will see you.
Seriously learn how do perform well in a rotation so that you can honor your sub-I. If you think "it's the residents and attendings they all hate me" consider therapy so that you can learn how to be liked.

Hmm, I think that's unnecessarily harsh.

But I agree, chances are not great at "top tier" places with the Ps/HPs and no Hs. Probably too late to add in any ECs (which don't matter that much) or get in quality research. I would try to schedule a subI and see if you can get an H and a great letter but even then you should be prepared for anything. If you have no geographical restrictions, I'd definitely apply to academic programs in other parts of the country-- there are many places that can give you training on par with Columbia/Cornell/MSSM as long as you aren't restricted to that region.

Cornell/Columbia only interviewed the AOA kids at my school.
You MAY get looks at MSSM/NYU but I think it will be unlikely.
You should get interviews at Monte and NSLIJ.

Aside from your step 1 score, your application is lackluster.

coming from a top 20 school will help a little but as others have said your app is pretty weak beyond your step 1 score. you'll likely get interviews at monte and LIJ, columbia and cornell almost certainly won't, NYU and sinai are a toss-up.

i highly recommend you consider not restricting yourself geographically. look at UMDNJ programs and others in the northeast.

I know it's early, but GutOnc has been quiet lately and I miss his snarky responses.

As per usual:

Step 1:
Step 2 CK/ CS:
School:
Class Rank:
Grades in Clekship:
AOA:
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars:
Overview of where you want to end up:

Again, I apologise if the early thread this year grinds anyone's gears.

I know it's early, but GutOnc has been quiet lately and I miss his snarky responses.

As per usual:

Step 1:
Step 2 CK/ CS:
School:
Class Rank:
Grades in Clekship:
AOA:
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars:

Again, I apologise if the early thread this year grinds anyone's gears.

My snarky response is that it's too damn early for this.

if you're going to ask THIS early, just take a look at this thread long and hard before you post. it will give you a pretty accurate idea.

My snarky response is that it's too damn early for this.

Fair enough - I just spotted your response in last year's thread regarding it being too early.

Feel free to delete/ lock this one, and we can hold off until mid-late June.

It's not too early. Don't mind the cranky old man yelling at the teenagers on his lawn.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1: 237
Step 2 CK/ CS: Pending July/August
School: Top 20
Class Rank: Don't know
Grades in Clerkship: Honors in Medicine and Medicine Electives.....High Pass on the rest
AOA: Probably not
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: Strength: 8 papers (2 first author clinical in subspecialty, 3 basic science in subspecialty, 3 co-author clinical in subspecialty), 7 national abstracts.....most of these were during medical school....won some research awards for basic science...no time off
West: Stanford, UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, UWash
Middle: Baylor, UTSW, Mayo, UPMC, Ohio State, Case Western, UChicago, NW, Michigan
East Coast: Brown, MGH, BWH, BIDMC, BU, Yale, Cornell, Mount Sinai, NYU, Columbia, Penn, JHU, UVA
South: Vanderbilt, UNC, Duke, Emory

Last edited:
Grades in Clerkship: Honors in Medicine and Medicine Electives.....High Pass on the rest
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: Strength: 8 papers (2 first author clinical in subspecialty, 3 basic science in subspecialty, 3 co-author clinical in subspecialty), 7 national abstracts.....most of these were during medical school....won some research awards for basic science...no time off
Middle: Baylor, UTSW, Mayo, UPMC, Ohio State, Case Western, UChicago, NW, Michigan
East Coast: Brown, MGH, BWH, BIDMC, BU, Yale, Cornell, Mount Sinai, NYU, Columbia, Penn, JHU, UVA

Your app is strong because of your research. Your lack of AOA might hinder you at some "top tier" places, but I can see you getting interviews at most of the programs listed. If you have more extracurriculars besides research, you have an even better chance. Also, I can see that a strong CK score might bolster your app as well.

I think you'll have issues with Stanford, UCSF, MGH, BWH, Columbia, JHU, and UPenn. But, I also wouldn't be surprised if you get invites from half these places.

Regardless, you'll have plenty of fine interviews.

Provided you don't screw the pooch on Step 2, I think you have a good shot a either the top tier or just below.

Your step 1 should get you in the door at most places, your honors in IM wont turn people off and your research will be a huge plus for the academic powerhouses. Now you're not going to get all of those interviews but you will get a smattering.

30 is a lot to apply to. I'd trim the list a bit. Remember to keep a good amt of safeties just in case.

IMO your list is fine since you're applying pretty broadly geographically. if you end up in the top half of your class and get 250+ on CK you'll be in good shape. being from a top 20 school + your research will give you a big boost despite a step 1 score on the low-end of what some of these top places are looking for.

Dang, that's a lot of pubs. How did you get all this done during med school?

The lack of AOA and "low" step 1 might hurt a bit but I would anticipate at least getting invites at a few of the top tiers and maybe more.

Step 1: 235
Step 2 CK/ CS: havn't taken yet
School: state school in the mid-south
Class Rank: top 25%
Grades in Clekship: mostly As, however I DID receive a B in internal medicine as 50% of the grade depends on evaluation and the attending I had simply didn't give anyone good evaluations. I subsequently did a sub-internship/junior-internship and received an A.
AOA: Nope
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 1 publication as 2nd author in neurology, a few small projects here and there with posters/presentations but no publications
Overview of where you want to end up: Emory, Boston U, Tufts, UVA, U Washington, Georgetown, UNC, U southwestern...basically NOT the top-tier schools but definitely not small community programs either...so, what are my chances?

Reactions: 1 user
Grades in Clekship: mostly As, however I DID receive a B in internal medicine as 50% of the grade depends on evaluation and the attending I had simply didn't give anyone good evaluations. I subsequently did a sub-internship/junior-internship and received an A.
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 1 publication as 2nd author in neurology, a few small projects here and there with posters/presentations but no publications
Overview of where you want to end up: Emory, Boston U, Tufts, UVA, U Washington, Georgetown, UNC, U southwestern...basically NOT the top-tier schools but definitely not small community programs either...so, what are my chances?

A solid "mid-tier" application.

Not sure if you'll get interviews at Emory, UWash, UNC, or UTSW.
Probably get looks from Boston U, Tufts, UVa, Georgetown.

You need to expand your list to include more mid-tier programs. You're kind of picking places all over but avoiding the midwest and west coast (except UW). Do you have a region in mind? This will help us expand your list.

Hey thanks for the reply! I don't really have regional preferences; any decent sized metropolitan area will do for me. I was putting this together late at night so I simply picked the top few that came to my mind.

Here's my expanded list:
UAB
Loma linda
USC
UC Davis
UC Irwine
Stanford? maybe?
George Washington
Georgetown
USF at Tampa
Emory
U illinois at Chicago
Rush
U Chicago
Louisville
Boston U
Beth Isreal at boston
Tufts
U Maryland
UVA
UNC
Wake Forrest
NYU
Mount Sinai at NYC
U Rochester
Case Western
Oregon Health&Science
Thomas Jefferson
U Penn
UT southwestern
Baylor
U Washington

Ill definitely apply widely. Are there any other good programs out there that you think I might have a chances that not on this list?

A solid "mid-tier" application.

Not sure if you'll get interviews at Emory, UWash, UNC, or UTSW.
Probably get looks from Boston U, Tufts, UVa, Georgetown.

You need to expand your list to include more mid-tier programs. You're kind of picking places all over but avoiding the midwest and west coast (except UW). Do you have a region in mind? This will help us expand your list.

Hey thanks for the reply! I don't really have regional preferences; any decent sized metropolitan area will do for me. I was putting this together late at night so I simply picked the top few that came to my mind.

Here's my expanded list:
UAB
Loma linda
USC
UC Davis
UC Irwine
Stanford? maybe?
George Washington
Georgetown
USF at Tampa
Emory
U illinois at Chicago
Rush
U Chicago
Louisville
Boston U
Beth Isreal at boston
Tufts
U Maryland
UVA
UNC
Wake Forrest
NYU
Mount Sinai at NYC
U Rochester
Case Western
Oregon Health&Science
Thomas Jefferson
U Penn
UT southwestern
Baylor
U Washington

Ill definitely apply widely. Are there any other good programs out there that you think I might have a chances that not on this list?

Here's my expanded list:
UAB- Maybe
Loma linda- Yes
USC- Yes
UC Davis- Maybe-
UC Irvine- Maybe+
Stanford?- No
George Washington- Yes
Georgetown- Maybe+
USF at Tampa- Yes
Emory- Maybe-
U illinois at Chicago- Yes
Rush- Maybe
U Chicago- No
Louisville- Yes
Boston U- Maybe
Beth Isreal at boston- No
Tufts- Yes
U Maryland- Maybe-
UVA- Maybe+
UNC- Maybe -
Wake Forrest- Yes
NYU- Maybe-
Mount Sinai at NYC- Maybe-
U Rochester- Yes
Case Western- Yes
Oregon Health&Science- Maybe-
Thomas Jefferson- Yes
U Penn- No
UT southwestern- No
Baylor- Maybe-
U Washington- No

I am sure others may disagree. But that's what I think. I tend to have a more negative bias than positive. Btw- some of the places you listed are definitely not in "decent" sized metropolitan areas, but YMMV.
Other programs you should consider?
UColorado, UWisco, UUtah, UMich, Brown, Dartmouth... can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Last edited:
I am sure others may disagree. But that's what I think. I tend to have a more negative bias than positive. Btw- some of the places you listed are definitely not in "decent" sized metropolitan areas, but YMMV.
Other programs you should consider?
UColorado, UWisco, UUtah, UMich, Brown, Dartmouth... can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Thanks man! really appreciated the input!

37825566.jpg

As per usual:

Step 1: 233
Step 2 CK/ CS: take July
School: UTMB
Class Rank: no rankings
Grades in Clekship: honored peds and IM, high pass surgery and neuro. Passed the rest
AOA: neg
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 1 publication, 1 poster, lots of research without publication
Overview of where you want to end up: I have no idea how competitive I am for what programs - ideally I'd like good programs in NYC or Baylor but not sure with my step if ill get interviews.

no chance

no chance

As per usual:

Grades in Clekship: honored peds and IM, high pass surgery and neuro. Passed the rest
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 1 publication, 1 poster, lots of research without publication
Overview of where you want to end up: I have no idea how competitive I am for what programs - ideally I'd like good programs in NYC or Baylor but not sure with my step if ill get interviews.

no chance

no chance

As humorous as it is, it's not helpful. If you're aggrieved by how early the thread has been started, I stand by my initial position that we can defer it until mid to late June.

As per usual:

i'll play nice. my copious amounts of end of 4th year time could not be spent better than coming up with responses.

Baylor- why don't you ask your fellow classmates who matched there? there are plenty of people you can talk to at UTMB that matched at Baylor (from looking at their match list) . this will give you the most accurate idea of whether or not you'll interview/match.

NYC- "good" programs are relative as are "top tier" and "mid tier". anyway. no chances at columbia or cornell. slight at MSSM and NYU. good chances at Monte and NSLIJ.

after going through this past cycle, i am just not sure how important step 1 is (albeit you should NOT underestimate it's importance just to be on the conservative side). coming from a very mediocre step 1 score, it didn't hinder my chances except for maybe at the very competitive residencies.

the only thing that may help you at this point is taking CK early and doing well.

Long time member, made a new username because my old was a bit too personally identifying. Thanks in advance

Step 1: mid 250s
Step 2 CK/ CS: October
School: East Coast Top 50
Class Rank: uncertain (top 25%?)
Grades in Clekship: All honors except HP in peds (first rotation) and surgery which is pending
AOA: potentially Senior AOA
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: first authored review in minor journal, 2nd authored large phase 2 trial from MD Anderson, First Authored book chapter in cancer pharmacology with leader in area. Patent in US and many other countries from work prior to medical school at biotech company
Overview of where you want to end up: looking to do fellowship in Heme/Onc

significant other is physician and will be likely taking a job in industry or academics in SF or possibly LA, hoping for UCSF>stanford> UCLA or we could do another major city NYC Columbia, Cornell, MGH, BIDC, BWH, JHU, northwestern, UChicago. Short list, weighted towards the top-- open to suggestions. Thanks

Long time member, made a new username because my old was a bit too personally identifying. Thanks in advance

Grades in Clekship: All honors except HP in peds (first rotation) and surgery which is pending
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: first authored review in minor journal, 2nd authored large phase 2 trial from MD Anderson, First Authored book chapter in cancer pharmacology with leader in area. Patent in US and many other countries from work prior to medical school at biotech company

significant other is physician and will be likely taking a job in industry or academics in SF or possibly LA, hoping for UCSF>stanford> UCLA or we could do another major city NYC Columbia, Cornell, MGH, BIDC, BWH, JHU, northwestern, UChicago. Short list, weighted towards the top-- open to suggestions. Thanks

You're competitive for the top or all the places you listed; I'll take a guess and say you'll get interviews at more than half of those programs on that list (UCSF, Stanford, JHU, MGH, and BW being the most choosey). It'll just be a crapshoot whether or not they decide to offer you an interview and the reasons as to why or why not you get an interview can only be left up to the gods... or which side of the bed the PD woke up on... or if he or she had his coffee before reading your app... you get the idea. The only thing that might hurt you for those top places is your lack of AOA and hopefully if you get senior AOA, you get it before apps go out.

My only suggestion is that you broaden your list to include some more mid-tier programs as "safeities". CA= UCSD; OR= OHSU; WA= UW (not mid tier); NYC= MSSM and NYU; MI= UMich (midwest, i know); PA= UPenn (not mid tier). There are plenty of solid places out there aside from your short list, but I understand if geography is playing an important role.

'FOLFOX6' - GutOnc's going to love this guy!

'FOLFOX6' - GutOnc's going to love this guy!

Gutonc tolerates about <5 a year (the first 5), and then he backhands the rest.

PSA- everyone please read the PREVIOUS WAMC thread. plenty of good information in there.

Actually, I'm so annoyed that this thread got started this early that I'm only going to participate in a disruptive, unhelpful way. Y'all are on your own this year.

As much as I hate to massage your grossly over-inflated ego, I think that, in itself, is reason enough to postpone the thread until mid-to-late June. This thread has thrived off your input over the past number of years.

Lets lock it/ delete it and set up a new thread/ unlock this one in mid-to-late June. Deal?

As much as I hate to massage your grossly over-inflated ego, I think that, in itself, is reason enough to postpone the thread until mid-to-late June. This thread has thrived off your input over the past number of years.

Lets lock it/ delete it and set up a new thread/ unlock this one in mid-to-late June. Deal?

P.S. I'd just like to add that I didn't include my credentials as I don't think it's necessary due to earlier advice I received from Instatewater - a user who really I'm really indebted to who gave excellent advice. I hope Instatewater will contribute insofar as possible this year, as I found his/ her advice spot on.

Too late to lock it down, not worth the trouble.

I actually have two real reasons for not participating in this thread.

The first is that, my real world experience with applying to residency is now 8 years out of date. It's a different world now. I don't think my advice would be bad but it might not be as relevant as it was 4 or 5 years ago. That's just life.

The second reason is that WAMC questions for residency applications are stupid. Full stop.

Unlike med school apps, applying to residency programs is cheap and easy. You push the same button and submit the same stuff to all of them, no stupid secondaries (special programs like research pathway are an exception but that's uncommon) so the amount of work it takes to apply to 10 or 100 programs is basically the same. And you can always add on programs later if you don't get love out of your first batch (it will take about 10 minutes). Did I mention it's cheap? Based on current ERAS and AMCAS fee structures (and assuming a $75 secondary fee across the board for med schools), residency apps are about 20% of the cost of med school apps. You can apply to 100 programs for $2K (100 med schools will run you $10-12K). Heck, you can apply to every single IM program in the country for <$8K. So just bust out the VISA and apply. This is not the time or place to scrimp and save and play chicken with your career.

And that's why I'm not going to post in the thread.

I actually have two real reasons for not participating in this thread.

The first is that, my real world experience with applying to residency is now 8 years out of date. It's a different world now. I don't think my advice would be bad but it might not be as relevant as it was 4 or 5 years ago. That's just life.

The second reason is that WAMC questions for residency applications are stupid. Full stop.

Unlike med school apps, applying to residency programs is cheap and easy. You push the same button and submit the same stuff to all of them, no stupid secondaries (special programs like research pathway are an exception but that's uncommon) so the amount of work it takes to apply to 10 or 100 programs is basically the same. And you can always add on programs later if you don't get love out of your first batch (it will take about 10 minutes). Did I mention it's cheap? Based on current ERAS and AMCAS fee structures (and assuming a $75 secondary fee across the board for med schools), residency apps are about 20% of the cost of med school apps. You can apply to 100 programs for $2K (100 med schools will run you $10-12K). Heck, you can apply to every single IM program in the country for <$8K. So just bust out the VISA and apply. This is not the time or place to scrimp and save and play chicken with your career.

And that's why I'm not going to post in the thread.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

probably the best post you've ever made. wish you would've written it a year ago (especially the last paragraph).

to anyone thinking of posting their stats in this thread....go look at the 2013 match outcomes and compare your stats to the applicants who posted there!

probably the best post you've ever made. wish you would've written it a year ago (especially the last paragraph).

to anyone thinking of posting their stats in this thread....go look at the 2013 match outcomes and compare your stats to the applicants who posted there!

You are the king of the underhanded compliment.

But don't worry, I'll be sure to participate in other threads with more of my patented dangerous and misleading advice.

Step 1: failed the first time, passed it a couple wks later (barely) - in just enough time to miss only one rotation.
Step 2 CK/ CS: June for CK, not sure for CS yet
School: midwest (not a top school - just a regular USMD school)
Class Rank: no clue but def in the upper 50%
Grades in Clerkship: no honors at my school, but I did very well in all of third year (all my clerkship scores were over 80%)
AOA: hell no
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: nothing - just been trying to keep my head above water (and do well in third year).

I've searched in the old WAMC thread and there is nobody with my kind of low scores.

I screwed up on step 1 - i get that... also, I failed first year. Went through A LOT of family issues during it, which I can explain on my PS. No issues with the repeat year. No issues with second year. Doing great in third year.

I've literally turned my life around for 3rd year and I'm expecting a solid score on CK. Planning on taking CK in June so that it can be included on my application when I submit it.

My whole family lives in Ohio, so I would very much like to go there for residency (the closer to columbus the better). Is this something possible or should I be getting myself ready to take some spot in the middle of nowhere? I really don't care what kind of program I end up at, as long as it's IM. Location is definitely my number one priority though.

I literally have no clue what my chances are and I am too embarrassed to even talk to other students who ended up matching around the area I am interested in. So, any advice you may have for me would be very much appreciated.

thanks in advance :oops:

Step 1: failed the first time, passed it a couple wks later (barely) - in just enough time to miss only one rotation.
Step 2 CK/ CS: June for CK, not sure for CS yet
School: midwest (not a top school - just a regular USMD school)
Class Rank: no clue but def in the upper 50%
Grades in Clerkship: no honors at my school, but I did very well in all of third year (all my clerkship scores were over 80%)
AOA: hell no
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: nothing - just been trying to keep my head above water (and do well in third year).

I've searched in the old WAMC thread and there is nobody with my kind of low scores.

I screwed up on step 1 - i get that... also, I failed first year. Went through A LOT of family issues during it, which I can explain on my PS. No issues with the repeat year. No issues with second year. Doing great in third year.

I've literally turned my life around for 3rd year and I'm expecting a solid score on CK. Planning on taking CK in June so that it can be included on my application when I submit it.

My whole family lives in Ohio, so I would very much like to go there for residency (the closer to columbus the better). Is this something possible or should I be getting myself ready to take some spot in the middle of nowhere? I really don't care what kind of program I end up at, as long as it's IM. Location is definitely my number one priority though.

I literally have no clue what my chances are and I am too embarrassed to even talk to other students who ended up matching around the area I am interested in. So, any advice you may have for me would be very much appreciated.

thanks in advance :oops:

You sound like the ideal candidate for an away rotation. You have a specific region you are hoping to end up in, on paper you have some issues (failed step 1), but you are doing great M3 year so you might be one of those people that are better in person than on paper.

My advice:
1) take Step 2 EARLY, like immediately after M3 year. Rock it.
2) immediately start looking into away rotations in Ohio, these need to be organized sort of far in advance. Don't do a SubI away on a general medicine service, it's hard to look good in a new hospital that way (don't know the hospital layout, how to write notes on their computer system, how to find the nurses... etc). Find a nice inpatient nephrology or cardiology (any subspecialty) rotation and impress them, get a meeting with the PD and express your interest. Show how personable and hard working you are!

You sound like the ideal candidate for an away rotation. You have a specific region you are hoping to end up in, on paper you have some issues (failed step 1), but you are doing great M3 year so you might be one of those people that are better in person than on paper.

My advice:
1) take Step 2 EARLY, like immediately after M3 year. Rock it.
2) immediately start looking into away rotations in Ohio, these need to be organized sort of far in advance. Don't do a SubI away on a general medicine service, it's hard to look good in a new hospital that way (don't know the hospital layout, how to write notes on their computer system, how to find the nurses... etc). Find a nice inpatient nephrology or cardiology (any subspecialty) rotation and impress them, get a meeting with the PD and express your interest. Show how personable and hard working you are!

thanks so much for your advice! it was very helpful, especially considering the fact that I was about to try to take a subI away on a general medicine service. Will make sure I don't do that. I was wondering about something: some schools specifically mention on their websites that one of their requirements for applying to their residency program is "passing step 1 on the first attempt". Do people like me simply not bother applying to these schools, or is it worth it to contact them and ask? thanks again for your help! :)

Step 1:221
Step 2 CK/ CS:not taken
School:Average State school
Class Rank:bottom 1/2
Grades in Clekship:All Pass
AOA:No
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: Summer research program, presented at conference, no pubs. Nothing special on EC's, director at student run free clinic.
Overview of where you want to end up: South East/Midwest

P.S. I'd just like to add that I didn't include my credentials as I don't think it's necessary due to earlier advice I received from Instatewater - a user who really I'm really indebted to who gave excellent advice. I hope Instatewater will contribute insofar as possible this year, as I found his/ her advice spot on.

I am pretty ****ing awesome.

No need to still be butt hurt. Last year is the distant past. Where did you end up matching that pissed you off so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.