Official 2013-2014 IM Residency WAMC (What Are My Chances) Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 219 on step 1... i passed every rotation during third year.. my medicine grade is still pending.. i would really love to go back to the northeast... i am at a mid tier medical school.. any advice on places for these cities:

NYC, BOSTON, DC, Philly, and Chicago

any advice would be amazzzzin

bump

Members don't see this ad.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

My advisor suggested applying mainly to community programs, so I just wanted to see what anyone may think here on SDN:

Step 1: 227
Step 2: taking next month
Honors: most of 1st year, Medicine rotation, Psych rotation, Fam Med rotation
Societies: Not in AOA; Accepted to Gold Humanism Honor Society
Research: Tons of research in my undergrad as a Biomedical Engineer with multiple presentations, a provisional patent, and an accepted grant proposal. One publication but not first author.

Looking to stay in southeast and would like to be at an academic program, but anywhere works:
- Virginia Tech Carilion?
- UVA?
- VCU/MCV?
- EVMS?
- Georgetown?
- UNC?
- Duke?
- Wake?
- ECU?
- Vandy?
- MUSC?

Thank you again!!

Are you applying to some community programs in addition to the programs you've listed here? I think Duke and Vandy are reaches. UNC/UVA are too, but less so. GT might be hard because DC is a fun city. Maybe add UF and Miami if you want to stay southeast, though maybe that's too far south based on the other programs. I'm curious as to why your advisor told you to apply mainly to community programs as I think that if you cast a good net, you probably have a decent chance of ending up at an academic "mid tier". Your app has an average Step 1 (close to national avg) but you otherwise had really good clerkship grades and an okay amount of research.

not many IMG's on this thread posting credentials? still debating whether I should post mine :s

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking to get into university program in the south-midwest area with the intent of going Cardio..

School: DO in midwest
Step 1: 626/239
Step 2: August
Rotations: All High pass, honors in my cardio sub-i.
Class rank: top 20%
Research: No papers published however 2 abstracts in SLE research, 1 Abstract in radiology research all published all 1st author.

Looking at (no specific order):
Texas A&M-Temple
UTSW-Dallas
Baylor-Dallas
UTMB-Galveston
Methodist-Houston
Baylor-Houston
UT-Houston
UT-San Antonio
KU-Kansas City
Missou-Kansas City

OU-OKC is questionable, word is they don't take DO's to Cards.

Any tips, advice, comments welcome.

I am an IMG from India, Graduated last month, stp1-237, ck- 231, cs-pass1st time, 2 mnths electives in IM,need Visa, have research volunteering from August,will give step3 before ivs, i am looking for IM , mostly university afiliated/comunity spots, what r my chances?

How do you honor cardio sub? There isn't a shelf for it, right?

Looking to get into university program in the south-midwest area with the intent of going Cardio..

School: DO in midwest
Step 1: 626/239
Step 2: August
Rotations: All High pass, honors in my cardio sub-i.
Class rank: top 20%
Research: No papers published however 2 abstracts in SLE research, 1 Abstract in radiology research all published all 1st author.

Looking at (no specific order):
Texas A&M-Temple
UTSW-Dallas
Baylor-Dallas
UTMB-Galveston
Methodist-Houston
Baylor-Houston
UT-Houston
UT-San Antonio
KU-Kansas City
Missou-Kansas City

OU-OKC is questionable, word is they don't take DO's to Cards.

Any tips, advice, comments welcome.

School: DO program
Step 1: 245
COMLEX 1:637
Step 2: 230
COMLEX 2: 595
Rotations: all A’s on required clerkships
Class Rank: top 5
AOA: Sigma Sigma Phi, but no AOA at our school
Research: no publications, a handful of presentations, 3 yrs of research prior to medical school
Extracurriculars: club president, several volunteer activities, involved with several student organizations, a few relevant work experiences

Looking into:
VCU
MUSC
UNC (reach)
Duke (reach)
ECU
Wake Forest
Carolinas Medical Center
UGA
Emory (reach)
UF- Gainesville
UT-Chattanooga
UT-Knoxville
Vanderbilt (reach)
Louisville
UK
UAB (reach)

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

Research: no publications, a handful of presentations, 3 yrs of research prior to medical school
Extracurriculars: club president, several volunteer activities, involved with several student organizations, a few relevant work experiences

Looking into:
VCU
MUSC
UNC (reach)
Duke (reach)
ECU
Wake Forest
Carolinas Medical Center
UGA
Emory (reach)
UF- Gainesville
UT-Chattanooga
UT-Knoxville
Vanderbilt (reach)
Louisville
UK
UAB (reach)

The bottom line with DO matches is that some PDs won't consider DOs. So if those places haven't taken DOs in the past, don't expect them to start now.

The bottom line with DO matches is that some PDs won't consider DOs. So if those places haven't taken DOs in the past, don't expect them to start now.

Just to add to this. If you were an MD grad, your scores/CV would be good enough for most of those programs. Just apply...it'll cost you less than $100 for the few places that are true reaches. And I can guarantee you that you won't get interviews at any of them if you don't apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you honor cardio sub? There isn't a shelf for it, right?

My school requires two months of medicine and one of those has to be a specialty and its treated as part of the graded core rotations.

Step 1 <220
Grades: P and HP, 1 H
Research: 4

What program should i be looking at?

Trying to either stay in the northeast, near FL/GA or MI/IL...

Looking into:
VCU
MUSC
UNC (reach)
Duke (reach)
ECU
Wake Forest
Carolinas Medical Center
UGA
Emory (reach)
UF- Gainesville
UT-Chattanooga
UT-Knoxville
Vanderbilt (reach)
Louisville
UK
UAB (reach)

This is a good place to get started in formulating your list.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1008132

Step 1: 259
Step 2 CK/ CS: pending
School: first graduating class from low/mid tier state school's satellite campus
Class Rank: uncertain but top 3 of 40
Grades in Clerkship: all honors
AOA: junior
Research: x2 pubs + x2 abstracts in cancer biology (none 1st author)
EC's: nothing special - some community health and teaching
LOR's: one letter from ex chief resident at hopkins (thinking this may help my credibility coming from a no name school?)

Shooting for: top/high-mid tier programs on east coast + Texas; possibly cards fellowship
*Vandy, Duke, UNC, Wake, Hopkins, Maryland, Emory, UAB, UVA, Pitt, Case, MGH/BWH/BID, BU, Penn, Columbia, Cornell, UT, Baylor....

----------------------------------------------------------------------

My primary concern is coming out of the first class from a no name school and shooting too high, despite a pretty solid app otherwise. Any advice on my competitiveness at programs like these or how PD's generally respond to app's like mine would be much appreciated. Thanks! :)

School: first graduating class from low/mid tier state school's satellite campus
LOR's: one letter from ex chief resident at hopkins (thinking this may help my credibility coming from a no name school?)

Shooting for: top/high-mid tier programs on east coast + Texas; possibly cards fellowship
*Vandy, Duke, UNC, Wake, Hopkins, Maryland, Emory, UAB, UVA, Pitt, Case, MGH/BWH/BID, BU, Penn, Columbia, Cornell, UT, Baylor....

My primary concern is coming out of the first class from a no name school and shooting too high, despite a pretty solid app otherwise. Any advice on my competitiveness at programs like these or how PD's generally respond to app's like mine would be much appreciated. Thanks! :)

Well, as you probably already realize, the wildcard is how well your school is perceived and whether or not coming from a new program will hurt you. I think that given your great Step 1, junior AOA, and (likely) strong letters, you should still be pretty well off at most places and as long as you interview ok, you'll probably get at LEAST a "high-mid" tier (not sure what programs fall into that to be honest).

BTW, if you're willing to apply to Case (which is technically in the midwest), you should probably add Michigan, UChicago, and NW.

What types of programs should and IMG be looking at? What would they qualify for?

So is your "husband" applying fir residency or fellowship? You need to get your story straight and pick a forum to post in.

Fellowship. Just looking for more info on programs for IMG's who are american citizens. Not sure where to look. Read a zillion threads and no one seems to be in the same boat. Most IMG's need visa.

Fellowship. Just looking for more info on programs for IMG's who are american citizens. Not sure where to look. Read a zillion threads and no one seems to be in the same boat. Most IMG's need visa.

If he is an IMG then he HAS TO do a residency first. You can't worry abut cardiology until you've done a residency. So do that first.

Your satellite school has ZERO track record with any of the top programs. My guess, if I had to guess, is that most will pass on you. And you had better make sure to set more realistic match goals. I'm not saying don't apply to those programs, you might find someone who will take a chance, but I'm kind of doubting it. You'll probably get invites from Wake, Maryland, UAB, UVA, Case, BU, UT, and Baylor. Add more programs and then consider it a bonus if you get them. If the ex-chief resident knows the current PD ask him to make a phone call.

Good luck.

Where have the other IMGs in his residency program gone for fellowship? Or do you not have any idea what you're asking about?

If he is an IMG then he HAS TO do a residency first. You can't worry abut cardiology until you've done a residency. So do that first.

I'm aware. He's a third year at the moment. His friends/ other residents in his class mostly applied to other fellowships other than cardio. Only 2 others have applied for cards. Obviously IMG's don't apply to top tier or mid tier programs. I'm wondering where would they actually be given a shot? Realistically.

Not sure why my question is confusing or in any way offensive?

I'm aware. He's a third year at the moment. His friends/ other residents in his class mostly applied to other fellowships other than cardio. Only 2 others have applied for cards. Obviously IMG's don't apply to top tier or mid tier programs. I'm wondering where would they actually be given a shot? Realistically.

It's confusing cause if he's a 3rd yr., he probably knows all this already.

It's confusing cause if he's a 3rd yr., he probably knows all this already.

Thanks for all your great answers. We now know exactly what extra suggested programs to add to his list! Yay!

...that was sarcasm

Not to you specifically just frustrated with people's attitudes.

Going to toss an oddball app into the arena, if for no other reason then maybe it will help a similar applicant get a better pulse in the future. New user name to protect identity a bit.

School: name-brand/top-tier
Step 1: 228
Step 2: CS and CK in September
Clinical Grades: straight HPs (at a school where only the top 10-15% get honors on most rotations and passes are fairly plentiful, reflected clearly on MSPE breakdown)
Research: MD/PhD; got lucky with 20 publications (most as first-author, many somehow landed in recognizable journals); 30+ published abstracts; patent; NIH grant; awards.
ECs: strong on teaching/mentoring/admin; weaker on volunteering/club involvement.
LoRs: pretty strong clinical letters that should demonstrate I actually have a personality/can interact with real people despite the stereotype that will undoubtedly be associated with my nerdy CV.

Planning to apply categorical, but need to be at an academic medical center with decent fellowship placement. Hoping the PhD/research experience accounts for the average/slightly above average clinical performance. List so far:

U of Washington
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
OHSU
Utah
Northwestern
U of Chicago
WashU
Mayo
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Kansas
Ohio State
Cincinnati
MCW
Colorado
Vanderbilt
Emory
UTSW
Baylor
UVA
UNC
Wake
Miami
UPMC
Brown
Dartmouth
U of Rochester
Vermont

SO is not interested in living in Boston, NYC, or DC/Baltimore metro areas so there goes a chunk of programs. Advisors think this list is going a bit overboard, I'm not so sure about that advice (more less worried about auto screens). Any decent academic programs I'm missing? Any programs to cut? Thanks.

I think concern about an auto-screen is warranted, but you should get more interviews than you can go on with that list. You've basically got almost all of the university programs NOT in the part of the world you're trying NOT to live in. Heh. A couple you might add . . .

Duke (why not? in your areas on interest)
UF-Gainesville (the flagship of the U Florida programs)
UAB
Kentucky

It's confusing because you're posting it in the thread for those trying to find RESIDENCY spots.

There is a cardio sub-forum, try your question there.

Though generally speaking if he doesn't have any visa issues, his IMG status is more of a non-issue, and it will be all about the reputation and status of his residency program, on top of who knows the cardiologists at his program who are writing him letters at the programs he is applying to. After that, he's just one more application to the pile of applications, and his stuff will have to stand anonymously on it's own against the rest of the apps.

It's confusing because you're posting it in the thread for those trying to find RESIDENCY spots.

There is a cardio sub-forum, try your question there.

Though generally speaking if he doesn't have any visa issues, his IMG status is more of a non-issue, and it will be all about the reputation and status of his residency program, on top of who knows the cardiologists at his program who are writing him letters at the programs he is applying to. After that, he's just one more application to the pile of applications, and his stuff will have to stand anonymously on it's own against the rest of the apps.

The forum says IM and IM Subspecialties. Just an FYI.

The forum says IM and IM Subspecialties. Just an FYI.

Yeah and cardiology which is a "subspecialty" of medicine has it's OWN sub-forum. Please purview the entire forum.

I'm not really sure why you seem to have your panties in a wad. I told you why your posts were confusing IN THIS THREAD, give you some general advice once I understood your situation and what you were asking, and directed you where you can go to get more advice.

I really have no clue how you've turned me into the bad guy here. I hope you don't treat your husband like this (poor guy).

Thanks for all your great answers. We now know exactly what extra suggested programs to add to his list! Yay!

...that was sarcasm

Not to you specifically just frustrated with people's attitudes.

I see. I'm going to go ahead and prescribe you a PA or DNP. They'll hold your hand and answer all your questions. :naughty:

That...was sarcasm.

Sounds like you are here to annoy people cause your 'husband' won't answer these questions himself. Why are you posting on his behalf anyways?

Hey guys,

Maybe you can help me out. I'm kind of concerned when to apply for DO residencies? Should I wait until I take my Comlex 2 CE to get my scores back and then submit my application or go ahead and apply right now with my Comlex part 1. I am applying to IM osteopathic residencies. My Comlex part 1 was low (498) so I was thinking to wait for part 2 and then submit my apps. I'm planning on taking part 2 early August, so is applying then too late?? If I apply right now with just my Part 1, will I get interviews based on my low score, just kind of worried. I just hope I match and I'm not late. Thanks and any advice would be appreciated!

Hey guys,

Maybe you can help me out. I'm kind of concerned when to apply for DO residencies? Should I wait until I take my Comlex 2 CE to get my scores back and then submit my application or go ahead and apply right now with my Comlex part 1. I am applying to IM osteopathic residencies. My Comlex part 1 was low (498) so I was thinking to wait for part 2 and then submit my apps. I'm planning on taking part 2 early August, so is applying then too late?? If I apply right now with just my Part 1, will I get interviews based on my low score, just kind of worried. I just hope I match and I'm not late. Thanks and any advice would be appreciated!
Actually your level 1 score isn't that low... it's right around the average score overall (500) and it's above the national average score for IM (482); see page 15 of the Osteopathic GME match report: http://data.aacom.org/media/DO_GME_match_2011.pdf

When were you planning to take the COMLEX level 2? I don't think you should have problems getting interviews either way since your level 1 score is competitive. AOA programs start downloading eras applications on July 15th so early August isn't terribly late.

Going to toss an oddball app into the arena, if for no other reason then maybe it will help a similar applicant get a better pulse in the future. New user name to protect identity a bit.

Clinical Grades: straight HPs (at a school where only the top 10-15% get honors on most rotations and passes are fairly plentiful, reflected clearly on MSPE breakdown)
Research: MD/PhD; got lucky with 20 publications (most as first-author, many somehow landed in recognizable journals); 30+ published abstracts; patent; NIH grant; awards.
ECs: strong on teaching/mentoring/admin; weaker on volunteering/club involvement.
LoRs: pretty strong clinical letters that should demonstrate I actually have a personality/can interact with real people despite the stereotype that will undoubtedly be associated with my nerdy CV.

Planning to apply categorical, but need to be at an academic medical center with decent fellowship placement. Hoping the PhD/research experience accounts for the average/slightly above average clinical performance. List so far:

U of Washington
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
OHSU
Utah
Northwestern
U of Chicago
WashU
Mayo
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Kansas
Ohio State
Cincinnati
MCW
Colorado
Vanderbilt
Emory
UTSW
Baylor
UVA
UNC
Wake
Miami
UPMC
Brown
Dartmouth
U of Rochester
Vermont

SO is not interested in living in Boston, NYC, or DC/Baltimore metro areas so there goes a chunk of programs. Advisors think this list is going a bit overboard, I'm not so sure about that advice (more less worried about auto screens). Any decent academic programs I'm missing? Any programs to cut? Thanks.

Michigan, Yale (doubt your SO would wanna be here), Duke, UPenn

you should've taken step 2 earlier.

Step 1 <220
Grades: P and HP, 1 H
Research: 4

What program should i be looking at?

bump

BA in Biology, M.S. in Biomedical Sciences
Med School: Low to Mid Tier
Step 1 <220
Pre-Clinical and Clinical: P and HP, 1 H
Research (during med school): 2 abstracts, 1 full article, 1 poster presentation (probably gonna have about 2-3 more by the time applications are sent out)
EC: didn't get too much cuz was I was simultatneously trying to finish my M.S., but do have some volunteering abroad experience, as well as volunteering for camps in the US, as well as tutoring experience
LORS: should be pretty strong

Step 1 <220
Research (during med school): 2 abstracts, 1 full article, 1 poster presentation (probably gonna have about 2-3 more by the time applications are sent out)
EC: didn't get too much cuz was I was simultatneously trying to finish my M.S., but do have some volunteering abroad experience, as well as volunteering for camps in the US, as well as tutoring experience

<220 is vague. Many programs have strict cutoffs for interviews. Either Pass, 200, 210 or 220, etc.

Step 1 <220

Still essentially useless information.

Step 1: Both 185 and 219 are <220. They're both going to cause you trouble, one more than the other. Take Step 2 yesterday.
Grades: Nobody cares about pre-clinical. What did you get in your IM clerkship and SubI? That's all anybody wants to know.
Research: You have 1 pub. Good for you. Lots of other people don't have any so this is a plus.
ECs: It pisses me off that med schools care about this and the fact that it's relevant for residency apps infuriates me. I'm probably alone in this view but, whatever.
LORs: "should be" or "will be"? If you want to match a decent academic program, based on your stats, the answer is "they must be."

Be more vague please. More than half of the IM programs in the country fall into that geographic category. If you plan on applying to every single program "in the northeast or near 2 of the 5 most populous states in the country" you'll probably match at one of them.

Do some homework. Think about programs you want to apply to and give us a list of 20+ of them. And to save you a little bit of work, you can probably safely skip the programs your grandma has heard about (which is short-hand for "Top Tier).

U of Washington
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
OHSU
Utah
Northwestern
U of Chicago
WashU
Mayo
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Kansas
Ohio State
Cincinnati
MCW
Colorado
Vanderbilt
Emory
UTSW
Baylor
UVA
UNC
Wake
Miami
UPMC
Brown
Dartmouth
U of Rochester
Vermont

X out Vermont, U of Rochester, Kansas, some of the desolate inconvenient places. And SO is also hating Philly area? you'll probably get plenty of interviews despite average step I. Consider UC Davis/Irvine/USC if you like Cali. It doesn't hurt to apply to 30 programs but you might want to select out 15 that you know will cancel if you have 10 other interviews lined up.

ECs: It pisses me off that med schools care about this and the fact that it's relevant for residency apps infuriates me. I'm probably alone in this view but, whatever.

Don't you remember the big fight I got into about three -four years back on this? :laugh:

When I made assessment that "all of your ECs are bull**** and no one cares"?

Step 1 218
Pre-Clinical and Clinical: P and HP, 1 H (HP in IM, haven't had my SubI yet)
LORS: will be strong

Programs I'm looking at...what do you guys think?

UConn
Yale
Georgetown
George Washintong
U of Miami
Rush
UIC
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Tufts
BU
UMass
U of Maryland
Johns Hopkins Bayview
U of Michigan
UNC
Duke
Albany Medical Center
SUNY Brooklyn
Einstein Montefiore
Einstein Jacobi
U of Buffalo
Einstein Beth Israel
NYU
Mount Sinai
U of Rochester
SUNY Stony Brook
NYMC
Case Western (Metrohealth)
Caes Western (University Hospital)
Ohio State
Penn State
Thomas Jefferson
Temple
UPMC
Brown
UVA
Virginia Commonwealth
U of Wisconsin
Emory

Good God, as an AMG with a 218 you can look at those tier programs legitimately?

For an IMG, it's like hitting the lottery to land 2-3 interviews at cellar dweller community programs with that score.

Step 1 218
Pre-Clinical and Clinical: P and HP, 1 H (HP in IM, haven't had my SubI yet)
LORS: will be strong

UConn
Yale - Reach
Georgetown - Reach
George Washington
U of Miami - Reach
Rush
UIC
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Tufts
BU
UMass
U of Maryland - Reach
Johns Hopkins Bayview - Reach
U of Michigan - Reach

UNC - Reach
Duke - Reach

Albany Medical Center
SUNY Brooklyn
Einstein Montefiore
Einstein Jacobi
U of Buffalo
Einstein Beth Israel
NYU - Reach
Mount Sinai - Reach

U of Rochester
SUNY Stony Brook
NYMC
Case Western (Metrohealth)
Ohio State
Penn State
Thomas Jefferson
Temple
UPMC - Reach
Brown
UVA -Reach
Virginia Commonwealth
U of Wisconsin - Reach
Emory - Reach

The 218 coupled with your "low to mid tier" school is probably gonna hurt. I marked the ones I think are definitely reaches, but don't have experiences with some of these other programs, hopefully someone else can comment or provide recs on places.

Don't you remember the big fight I got into about three -four years back on this? :laugh:

When I made assessment that "all of your ECs are bull**** and no one cares"?

No, I remember that. But unfortunately you're wrong. Normal people agree that's all bulls*** but far too many PDs disagree.

See...was that so hard?

Yale
BU
UMass
U of Maryland
Johns Hopkins Bayview
U of Michigan
UNC
Duke
Einstein Montefiore
NYU
Mount Sinai
U of Rochester
Ohio State
UPMC
Brown
UVA
U of Wisconsin
Emory

These programs range from definite "No" to highly likely "No." Not that you can't apply to them (it's the cheap part of this process after all) but anything more than 2 or 3 invites from the list above will be a huge surprise.

The rest of the programs fall in the "more than likely" category and you should get invites from 70-90% of them.

Med School: Top 25
Step 1 247
Step 2 Taking in Sept
Pre-Clinical: Mix of As & B+s. Honestly probably more B+ than A.
Clinical: H peds, neuro. HP medicine, ob/gyn, family. P in psych. Surgery grade pending

Research: 1 paper on algae biodiesel research in undergrad. 2 papers, 2 abstracts, and 1 poster presentation on ortho research in med school (decided I wasn't a surgery person)

EC: Not much in med school. Volunteered at a health fair screening BP and talking about general health maintenance, healthy diet, exercise, etc.. Spoke at some panels for pre-meds. Might do some low-income clinic work later this semester. Some cool stuff in undergrad but I'm not sure how much that really matters.

LORS: should be strong. 2 medicine, can get 1 peds or 2 neuro letters as well (any thoughts on this?)

AL: UAB
CA: Cedars-Sinai, UCLA, LA County/UCLA, USC, UCSF
IL: UChicago, Northwestern
MA: BID, Tufts, BU, B&W, MGH
MI: Michigan
MN: Mayo
MO: WashU
NY: Columbia, NYU, mt sinai
NC: Duke
OR: OHSU
PA: Penn, Pitt
TN: Vandy
TX: UTSW, BCM, UT Houston, Methodist, UTSA,
VA: UVA?
WA: UW

Strong interest in going to the Pacific Northwest, particularly UW, because I have family up there. However, it wouldn't be the end of the world if I ended up somewhere else.

What are my chances at these programs? Also, do I need more safety programs?

Last edited:
See...was that so hard?

These programs range from definite "No" to highly likely "No." Not that you can't apply to them (it's the cheap part of this process after all) but anything more than 2 or 3 invites from the list above will be a huge surprise.

The rest of the programs fall in the "more than likely" category and you should get invites from 70-90% of them.

When you say "more than likely", are you saying "more than likely yes", or "more than likely no"?

Also, are there any other programs in those areas that you would suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.