Official 2013-2014 IM Residency WAMC (What Are My Chances) Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the lowest level dui. Clearly not my finest moment. I should also clarify that I'm hoping to match at a strong south/mid-atlantic academic program, a la Duke or Vanderbilt. Appreciate the feedback.

DUI = no bueno. Can't imagine a misdemeanor where you put OTHER peoples lives in danger will go over well.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I agree that if I was a PD, I wouldn't give one of my precious spots to the person I was 4 years ago. But I'm hoping being a few years removed and being a less idiotic and more mature human being having gone through the experience will give me a chance. I know it will knock me down a peg in just about any programs eyes, but I guess my question is whether it will screen me out of a lot of interviews and whether I should try to apply to a good handful of mid-tier programs to be safe.

I'm switching into IM very late after going through almost all the surgical specialties and realizing I definitely don't want to do surgery and I need patient interaction. In fact, even Ophtho was too technical and definitely too narrow (eye visits are usu 5 minutes with a lot of gadget-tinkering).

And so, I'm pretty excited to finally have found the right field in IM with a bent towards Oncology. I think I will enjoy the innovative research and caring for physical, social, and emotional aspects of illness that it seems to demand.

And so, here goes those damned stats:

School: top 20
Step 1: 251
Step 2: Do I need to take this before interviews?
Clinical Grades: 3 Honors (Surgery, Neurology, FM), 3 HP (HP Medicine, OB/GYN, Psych)
AOA: possibly top quartile.
Research: 3 first author pubs (2 in Derm, 1 in Ophtho) and a lot of Ophtho research presentations (I was on a year of bench research funded by a competitive research fellowship) - came out of the year loving research but unsure of what career to dedicate it to
LORs: letters from known profs in other fields (Neuro and Ophtho), IM PD letter, but I'm somewhat lacking in other IM letters with only one from a young professor
Extracurriculars: Leadership in a student run clinic, TA'd Anatomy, volunteer work

So, just how important is Sub-I?
Due to the Sub-I spots filling up and my late switch, I'd have to Sub-I in August with a young IM prof. The other option is doing an Oncology elective with a fairly well known Full Prof, who is known to be an awesome teacher and to write very supportive letters if you put the effort in and perform well.

I've also been away from rotations for a year b/c of research. So, it would be easier to transition into the Oncology elective vs. Sub-I. Do you guys think doing the Oncology elective and getting a good letter from it speaking of my clinical skills would still hurt me due to lack of Sub-I before submitting apps? Is there any way I could tell programs that I will be doing Sub-I before interviews (in Nov) and submit an extra letter from it then?

Also, what programs do you think I should shoot for and have a shot at? Do I have a chance at 2nd tier programs?

Sorry for the long post and thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
It was the lowest level dui. Clearly not my finest moment. I should also clarify that I'm hoping to match at a strong south/mid-atlantic academic program, a la Duke or Vanderbilt. Appreciate the feedback.

It shouldn't be a big problem. Getting into *some* trouble with booze or weed isn't a rare thing anymore. It could mean you have a few more hoops to jump through come applying for licensure but if it was all a long time ago without any new red flags medicine gives people a mulligan. Just keep your nose clean from here on out.

Well I agree that if I was a PD, I wouldn't give one of my precious spots to the person I was 4 years ago. But I'm hoping being a few years removed and being a less idiotic and more mature human being having gone through the experience will give me a chance. I know it will knock me down a peg in just about any programs eyes, but I guess my question is whether it will screen me out of a lot of interviews and whether I should try to apply to a good handful of mid-tier programs to be safe.

I think it sounds like you have the right attitude - no excuses, taking ownership, and a committment to responsibility in the future after learning a hard lesson.

I'll think you'll do better than you think. But I do agree that you need to apply maybe a bit more braodly than maybe you would have otherwise.

I'm switching into IM very late after going through almost all the surgical specialties and realizing I definitely don't want to do surgery and I need patient interaction. In fact, even Ophtho was too technical and definitely too narrow (eye visits are usu 5 minutes with a lot of gadget-tinkering).

And so, I'm pretty excited to finally have found the right field in IM with a bent towards Oncology. I think I will enjoy the innovative research and caring for physical, social, and emotional aspects of illness that it seems to demand.

And so, here goes those damned stats:

School: top 20
Step 1: 251
Step 2: Do I need to take this before interviews?
Clinical Grades: 3 Honors (Surgery, Neurology, FM), 3 HP (HP Medicine, OB/GYN, Psych)
AOA: possibly top quartile.
Research: 3 first author pubs (2 in Derm, 1 in Ophtho) and a lot of Ophtho research presentations (I was on a year of bench research funded by a competitive research fellowship) - came out of the year loving research but unsure of what career to dedicate it to
LORs: letters from known profs in other fields (Neuro and Ophtho), IM PD letter, but I'm somewhat lacking in other IM letters with only one from a young professor
Extracurriculars: Leadership in a student run clinic, TA'd Anatomy, volunteer work

So, just how important is Sub-I?
Due to the Sub-I spots filling up and my late switch, I'd have to Sub-I in August with a young IM prof. The other option is doing an Oncology elective with a fairly well known Full Prof, who is known to be an awesome teacher and to write very supportive letters if you put the effort in and perform well.

I've also been away from rotations for a year b/c of research. So, it would be easier to transition into the Oncology elective vs. Sub-I. Do you guys think doing the Oncology elective and getting a good letter from it speaking of my clinical skills would still hurt me due to lack of Sub-I before submitting apps? Is there any way I could tell programs that I will be doing Sub-I before interviews (in Nov) and submit an extra letter from it then?

Also, what programs do you think I should shoot for and have a shot at? Do I have a chance at 2nd tier programs?

Sorry for the long post and thanks!

Ok. Here's the way I play chess on this one . . . the situation isn't entirely optimal, BUT, you can explain that because you were exploring other specialties before settling on IM (I think that deserves some time in your PS fyi - would also make the PS a bit more interesting than your per usual statement), and I think you go with the Oncology elective first, get your letter from someone with a track record of writing good letters, and being a full prof he's got more gravitas when he says, "this kid is fooking awesome, his ballz are made of brass and the size of grapfruit . . .etc". Pick up the sub-I after you've gotten your feet wet again on a consult servce, and honor it before the dean's letters come out.

I mean it's not like you have a mickey mouse application. It's pretty damn good anyway. I'm just taking about ways to tighten things up a bit. You'll be fine I think.

Medical School: borderline top 50, well known regionally
Red Flags on my app: mediocre clerkship grades due to shelf exams:scared:
Step 1: 234
Step 2: not taken yet
pros: 3 posters, student research award, one paper was podium at national conference, 2 pubs not first author, Away rotation at a prestigious top 10 program, strong letters, Honors in Medicine Clerkship with very strong evaluation

1. Am I screwed and do I have to apply to community IM programs?
2. Can I hope for a strong/decent program with a strong letter at my Away, good Personal Statement, and my Honors in medicine and publications?
3. How many programs should I apply to? I'm thinking 50 with hopefully 20 interviews
4. any advice for away rotations?
5. When should I take Step 2? Planning on Late August

If anyone wants to let me know if I can apply to any of the following (Bold are reach programs):
Harbor UCLA
Bayview Hopkins

Henry Ford
San Antonio
UTMB
Scott&White
UTSW Austin
UTSW
Baylor

Methodist Houston
UT Houston
St johns Providence Detroit
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
Mayo Jax
Mayo Scottsdale
Emory
UAB
UF
U Miami
Cook County
Northshore LIJ
Montefiore
MSSM
Rush
Loyola
USC
Scripps Green
Baylor Dallas
Mayo Clinic Rochester
UIC
UConn
Temple
Ochsner
Tulane
SLU
Georgetown
Maimonides
Cleveland Clinic
Case Western
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
Pittsburgh
NYU

UMDNJ
Rutgers
U Arizona
UC Irvine
UCSD
Cedars-Sinai
Cleveland Clinic Florida
Mt Sinai Florida
Mt Sinai Chicago
U Chicago
Northwestern

Baystate Tufts
MCW
U Wisconsin
UAB
Duke

Vanderbilt

I can't.

I just can't.

It appears to be f&ck this sh&t o'clock.

pros: 3 posters, student research award, one paper was podium at national conference, 2 pubs not first author, Away rotation at a prestigious top 10 program, strong letters, Honors in Medicine Clerkship with very strong evaluation

2. Can I hope for a strong/decent program with a strong letter at my Away, good Personal Statement, and my Honors in medicine and publications?
3. How many programs should I apply to? I'm thinking 50 with hopefully 20 interviews

If anyone wants to let me know if I can apply to any of the following (Bold are reach programs):
Harbor UCLA
Bayview Hopkins

Henry Ford
San Antonio
UTMB
Scott&White
UTSW Austin
UTSW
Baylor

Methodist Houston
UT Houston
Mayo Jax
Mayo Scottsdale
Emory
UAB
UF
U Miami
Cook County
Northshore LIJ
Montefiore
MSSM
Rush
Loyola
USC
Scripps Green
Baylor Dallas
Mayo Clinic Rochester
UIC
UConn
Temple
Ochsner
Tulane
SLU
Georgetown
Maimonides
Cleveland Clinic
Case Western
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
Pittsburgh
NYU

UMDNJ
Rutgers
U Arizona
UC Irvine
UCSD
Cedars-Sinai
Cleveland Clinic Florida
Mt Sinai Florida
Mt Sinai Chicago
U Chicago
Northwestern

Baystate Tufts
MCW
U Wisconsin
UAB
Duke

Vanderbilt

If you have a 230+ and are an AMG, you can probably go to a university program somewhere as long as you apply broadly enough and have decent letters.

The top 10-15 (see other threads; not getting into ranking here) are where the difficulty level in landing an interview spikes greatly because you're talking about at least 50 apps per spot and probably as high as 100 if you're talking about a well-regarded program in a "nice" city.

Harbor UCLA
Bayview Hopkins

Henry Ford
San Antonio
UTMB
Scott&White
UTSW Austin
UTSW
Baylor

Methodist Houston
UT Houston
Mayo Jax
Mayo Scottsdale
Emory
UAB
UF
U Miami
Cook County
Northshore LIJ
Montefiore
MSSM
Rush
Loyola
USC
Scripps Green
Baylor Dallas
Mayo Clinic Rochester
UIC
UConn
Temple
Ochsner
Tulane
SLU
Georgetown
Maimonides
Cleveland Clinic
Case Western
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
Pittsburgh
NYU

UMDNJ
Rutgers
U Arizona
UC Irvine
UCSD
Cedars-Sinai
Cleveland Clinic Florida
Mt Sinai Florida
Mt Sinai Chicago
U Chicago
Northwestern

Baystate Tufts
MCW
U Wisconsin
UAB
Duke

Vanderbilt

wut.

i'll be nice and i'm post night.

Harbor UCLA
Bayview Hopkins
Henry Ford
San Antonio
UTMB
Scott&White
UTSW Austin
UTSW
Baylor

Methodist Houston
UT Houston
Mayo Jax
Mayo Scottsdale
Emory
UF
U Miami
Cook County
Northshore LIJ
Montefiore
MSSM
Rush
Loyola
USC
Scripps Green
Baylor Dallas
Mayo Clinic Rochester
UIC
UConn
Temple
Ochsner
Tulane
SLU
Georgetown
Maimonides
Cleveland Clinic
Case Western
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
Pittsburgh
NYU

UMDNJ
Rutgers
U Arizona
UC Irvine
UCSD
Cedars-Sinai
Cleveland Clinic Florida
Mt Sinai Florida
Mt Sinai Chicago
U Chicago
Northwestern

Baystate Tufts
MCW
U Wisconsin
UAB
Duke

Vanderbilt

Step1: 243
Step2: 249
School: Top 10
Grades: Honors in medicine, family, peds, OB; HP in surgery, maybe psych
Research: 2 abstracts, 1 poster presentation, multiple ongoing projects
EC's: Just fluffy nonsense

Places I'd consider:
UW
Utah
Colorado
OHSU
UCSF
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD (Maybe)
UCI (If I really had to, seems like a fate worse than death, honestly) Edit: OK, there's NOTHING wrong with UCI's program, it's Irvine that I don't care for)
Cedars (Meh)
andddd....that's it. I think. Yeah, it's a short, risky list. I know.

Looking at academic heme/onc as a career.
It should be mentioned that I'm originally from Cali.

Last edited:

Places I'd consider:
UW
Utah
Colorado
OHSU
UCSF
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD (Maybe)
UCI (If I really had to, seems like a fate worse than death, honestly)
Cedars (Meh)

Look fine. May as well add USC.

Members don't see this ad :)

Places I'd consider:
UW
Utah
Colorado
OHSU
UCSF
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD (Maybe)
UCI (If I really had to, seems like a fate worse than death, honestly)
Cedars (Meh)

To be honest, after looking through a couple if your posts to figure out what school you're coming from, I would STRONGLY consider adding those last three plus USC and UCD just in case. If your main goal is to get back to CA, then do it. If you manage to land a spot at your home institution, that wouldn't be so bad either.

From your list, you truly have great shots at UW, OHSU, Utah, and Colorado. I think you have decent chances at getting interviews at UCLA, UCSF, and Stanford, but matching there may be a different story. It just requires that "it" factor that you may or may not have.

That being said, it doesn't cost that much money to add schools. Cancel the interviews later if you want. Give yourself some options.

COMLEX 1: 468
COMLEX PE: pass 1st attempt
COMLEX 2: no scores yet
Step 1: N/A
Step 2 CK/ CS: N/A
School: Southern D.O. program
Class Rank: bottom 1/2
Grades in Clekship: 3.5 gpa in fall and 4.0 in spring
AOA: N/A
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: various school clubs, volunteered off and on in 1st 2 years, did research in med school and undergrad but nothing published yet to my knowledge, won an academic scholarship, presentations to attendings on various topics at my hospital.
Overview of where you want to end up:

Atlanta Medical Center
Morehouse - Atlanta
Wake Forest NC
OSU
Cleveland Clinic
U of Cinn
Wright State
Emory
UT Chatt
UT Knox
UT Nash
ETSU
VCU
EVMS
VT-Carilion

Thanks in advance!
:D

COMLEX 1: 468
COMLEX PE: pass 1st attempt
COMLEX 2: no scores yet
Step 1: N/A
Step 2 CK/ CS: N/A
School: Southern D.O. program
Class Rank: bottom 1/2
Grades in Clekship: 3.5 gpa in fall and 4.0 in spring
AOA: N/A
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: various school clubs, volunteered off and on in 1st 2 years, did research in med school and undergrad but nothing published yet to my knowledge, won an academic scholarship, presentations to attendings on various topics at my hospital.
Overview of where you want to end up:

Atlanta Medical Center
Morehouse - Atlanta
Wake Forest NC
OSU
Cleveland Clinic
U of Cinn
Wright State
Emory
UT Chatt
UT Knox
UT Nash
ETSU
VCU
EVMS
VT-Carilion

Thanks in advance!
:D

With that comlex score, a lot of the places you listed are probably a no-go. It's fairly obvious what part of the country you'd like to be in but why none of the community programs in NC, SC and so forth? I get the impression that you'd like to be at a university based program but I think you need to expand where you're applying by a wide margin-I'd go ahead and apply to every program in the states you're willing to live in (which seems like only a few). I probably wouldn't waste my money on Emory and Wake but hey, it's your life.

Hello,

I am an MD/PhD student about to start the PhD phase of training at a top 15 institution. I got a 241 on Step1 and was wondering if that score is considered too weak for me to match into the most competitive residencies, whether they be top tier IM or a competitive field such as Dermatology or Radiology (especially since I will be applying for residency in like 6 years...)

Thanks!

Hello,

I am an MD/PhD student about to start the PhD phase of training at a top 15 institution. I got a 241 on Step1 and was wondering if that score is considered too weak for me to match into the most competitive residencies, whether they be top tier IM or a competitive field such as Dermatology or Radiology (especially since I will be applying for residency in like 6 years...)

Thanks!

Let me get into my time machine . . .

Hello,

Thanks!

241 is a fine score and the PhD will count for a lot.

Also what the heck man? 6 years is a long time from now. Way too early to be worrying about that. Just focus on doing a good job during your research years.

To be honest, after looking through a couple if your posts to figure out what school you're coming from, I would STRONGLY consider adding those last three plus USC and UCD just in case. If your main goal is to get back to CA, then do it. If you manage to land a spot at your home institution, that wouldn't be so bad either.

From your list, you truly have great shots at UW, OHSU, Utah, and Colorado. I think you have decent chances at getting interviews at UCLA, UCSF, and Stanford, but matching there may be a different story. It just requires that "it" factor that you may or may not have.

That being said, it doesn't cost that much money to add schools. Cancel the interviews later if you want. Give yourself some options.

To clarify, my goal is to stay in the PNW, NOT return to Cali. If I did, it would only be for a very strong program.

To clarify, my goal is to stay in the PNW, NOT return to Cali. If I did, it would only be for a very strong program.

That's fine. I think if you rank UW and OHSU 1 and 2 or reverse, you'll probably match at either. But, of course, this assumes you get interviews at both which you likely will.

I can't imagine going down that route. 6+ years of med school and residency on top of that. Talk about 'lifelong learner'

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

Step 1: 236
Step 2 CK: 248. CS:hopefully oct 9
School: Low tier Caribbean school
Class Rank: Don't know and does it matter for caribbean students?
Grades in Clerkship: again, does it matter for caribbean students?
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: None
Overview of where you want to end up: I will pretty much not apply to the places mentioned here. I'm thinking of applying to about 100 programs in mostly community hospitals and try IMG friendly places in major cities.

I bought my token a few days ago and I was going through the application and I realized it will be pretty blank since I don't have much to add. I feel my LORs will be mediocore along with my personal statement.

Last edited:
Step 1: 236
Step 2 CK/ CS: 248/hopefully oct 9
School: Low tier Caribbean school
Class Rank: Don't know and does it matter for caribbean students?
Grades in Clerkship: again, does it matter for caribbean students?
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: None
Overview of where you want to end up: I will pretty much not apply to the places mentioned here. I'm thinking of applying to about 100 programs in mostly community hospitals and try IMG friendly places in major cities.

I bought my token a few days ago and I was going through the application and I realized it will be pretty blank since I don't have much to add. I feel my LORs will be mediocore along with my personal statement.

Apply to every program possible. Some university programs are friendlier to IMGs and Carib students so I wouldn't rule them entirely out (Downstate comes to mind) but you are correct that you will be fighting an uphill battle.

Do well on your CK, try to get a project in somewhere if at all possible and be wide open about your options. It's better to match SOMEWHERE even if it is in Podunk, OK than not to match at all.

Apply to every program possible. Some university programs are friendlier to IMGs and Carib students so I wouldn't rule them entirely out (Downstate comes to mind) but you are correct that you will be fighting an uphill battle.

Do well on your CK, try to get a project in somewhere if at all possible and be wide open about your options. It's better to match SOMEWHERE even if it is in Podunk, OK than not to match at all.

Thanks for responding. I already passed my CK and just waiting to take my CS.

Thanks for responding. I already passed my CK and just waiting to take my CS.

Great. The one thing I will caution you is that many programs do not differentiate between "USIMG"s and FMGs because both are applying as independent applicants through the match. So please don't assume programs will necessarily be more friendly because you're an American citizen.

Great. The one thing I will caution you is that many programs do not differentiate between "USIMG"s and FMGs because both are applying as independent applicants through the match. So please don't assume programs will necessarily be more friendly because you're an American citizen.

The filter treats them differently. US Citizenship/Green Card holder > Visa needed. They have a ~10% higher chance of matching. Then when they show up to interview, assuming theyre from the US, thats an advantage.

The filter treats them differently. US Citizenship/Green Card holder > Visa needed. They have a ~10% higher chance of matching. Then when they show up to interview, assuming theyre from the US, thats an advantage.

exactly

it costs programs money to sponsor visas, so everything being equal . . .

Wondering what my chances are at West Coast schools. I have been an East Coaster for my whole life including college and med school and would like to switch it up (although I will also be applying to various other places around the country). I realize it's very difficult for outsiders to "break in" to West Coast academia, so I wanted to know if I'll be wasting my money by applying out there.

School: Northeast low-mid tier (NOT top 50)
Step 1: 245
Step 2 CK: 267
Preclinicals: Half honors, half pass
Clinicals: All honors 3rd year
AOA: Senior
Research: Virtually none. Did a basic science project between 1st and 2nd years and won an award from the school, but no publication. That's it.
LORs: Should be good, but aren't everyone's?
Extracurriculars/other: Clinical tutor for med school classes below me. Worked as an engineer prior to med school, if that even matters.

Figure impossible: UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, UW
Reach: UCSD, OHSU
Maybe?: UCD, UCI, Scripps, Kaiser LA, Cedars-Sinai

Appreciate the input. Thanks.

Wondering what my chances are at West Coast schools. I have been an East Coaster for my whole life including college and med school and would like to switch it up (although I will also be applying to various other places around the country). I realize it's very difficult for outsiders to "break in" to West Coast academia, so I wanted to know if I'll be wasting my money by applying out there.

School: Northeast low-mid tier (NOT top 50)
Step 1: 245
Step 2 CK: 267
Preclinicals: Half honors, half pass
Clinicals: All honors 3rd year
AOA: Senior
Research: Virtually none. Did a basic science project between 1st and 2nd years and won an award from the school, but no publication. That's it.
LORs: Should be good, but aren't everyone's?
Extracurriculars/other: Clinical tutor for med school classes below me. Worked as an engineer prior to med school, if that even matters.

Figure impossible: UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, UW
Reach: UCSD, OHSU
Maybe?: UCD, UCI, Scripps, Kaiser LA, Cedars-Sinai

Appreciate the input. Thanks.

I think you're being a little hard on yourself given that you have honors in your clinical clerkships + AOA + good board scores. UCSF is a reach for pretty much everyone and it seems kind of random who gets invited. Stanford is also semi-random as you'll find people getting Duke/Columbia invites etc. and somehow not get Stanford.

Otherwise I would be surprised if you didn't get UCSD, OHSU, UCD, UCI, Scripps, Kaiser LA, Cedars-Sinai. UCLA/UW are a bit harder but I would think that you'd at least get one of them and hopefully both.

If you didn't match last year and apply to the same programs that sent out invitations and rejections last year will you possibly get the same interviews? I'm a reapplicant IMG that didn't match but i added a lot to my application in terms of strong LOR's from my PI and publications. Thanks

New here and thought I'd get an opinion.

School: Top 40 state U
Step 2: CK scheduled this month
Preclinical: All H
Clinical: H Med, Peds, Psych, Neuro; HP Surg, Fam Med
AOA: Junior
Research: MD/PhD, 2 first author, couple other pubs, several abstracts/presentations, individual NIH grant
ECs: MD/PhD student govt, heavily involved at student run clinic, smattering of other volunteer activities
LoRs: strong

I mostly want thoughts on taking CK this month even though I haven't done OB yet (couldn't get it til mid-September). Took 5 years on the PhD so score creep kind of neutralized my Step 1. I'm aiming for a top tier program (UCSF, Brigham, etc) but am obviously padding with plenty of academic midwestern programs. Will killing Step 2 give me a shot at getting in the door?

Research: MD/PhD, 2 first author, couple other pubs, several abstracts/presentations, individual NIH grant
ECs: MD/PhD student govt, heavily involved at student run clinic, smattering of other volunteer activities

I mostly want thoughts on taking CK this month even though I haven't done OB yet (couldn't get it til mid-September). Took 5 years on the PhD so score creep kind of neutralized my Step 1. I'm aiming for a top tier program (UCSF, Brigham, etc) but am obviously padding with plenty of academic midwestern programs. Will killing Step 2 give me a shot at getting in the door?

To be honest, I dunno how important it'll be. You have a PhD, pubs, and junior AOA. I'm assuming that if you study for CK you'll get 240+ but not sure how much it'll add to your application. The "threshold" Step 1 is not as high as many people think for the top places if you got a lot of other things going for you such as AOA, etc. Not sure what you mean by "padding" with academic midwestern programs and what programs constitute that pad, but places like NW/Michigan/Wash U/Chicago are pretty good places to consider too.

I've heard otherwise but perhaps that was a misconception. Thanks

Junior AOA, above average step 1 score, MD/PhD are all working in your favor. UCSF is a weird program in terms of who it invites and who it doesn't but maybe a shot at Brigham?

If you didn't match last year and apply to the same programs that sent out invitations and rejections last year will you possibly get the same interviews? I'm a reapplicant IMG that didn't match but i added a lot to my application in terms of strong LOR's from my PI and publications. Thanks

If you didn't match last year you should be applying everywhere and more. I would post your scores/grades/research if you want people to give more well rounded advice

I had to withdraw for personal reasons last year.
Scores: 228/238/Pass
YOG: 2010
IMG
Research: 1 publication not first author, 1 abstract first author but not in medicine, another publication on the way but not by time applications goes out
2 very good clinical letters from 2 months of clerkships at Mount Sinai; 1 excellent research letter from my PI, and another good research letter from chariman of dept; but none of my US letters are in medicine.

University programs would love to go: George Wash, Georgetown, U of Miami, Jackson Memorial
community programs applying to as a safe bet like St. Lukes NY

is my list realistic?

IMG
Research: 1 publication not first author, 1 abstract first author but not in medicine, another publication on the way but not by time applications goes out
2 very good clinical letters from 2 months of clerkships at Mount Sinai; 1 excellent research letter from my PI, and another good research letter from chariman of dept; but none of my US letters are in medicine.

University programs would love to go: George Wash, Georgetown, U of Miami, Jackson Memorial

is my list realistic?

You need 10-15x that many programs on your list. 20-30x if you need a visa.

thanks i know that these are just ideal programs that i would like to match at, trust me my list is a lot longer, don't need a visa.

IMG

is my list realistic?

IMG 3 yrs out, that list doesn't seem at all realistic to be honest.

GW no chance. The PD only takes IMGs from like one location in the Middle East. Not even joking, a resident told me multiple times.

will the fact that my research LORs are from Hopkins help me in anyway, but like I said not in medicine though? and what university programs might consider me? really could use the feedback!

Step 1: high-210s
Step 2 CK/ CS: mid-250s
School: Top 50
Class Rank: Top 20%
Grades in Clerkship: Honored Medicine and two other 3rd year clerkships. Honored Medicine Sub-I, Medical ICU and five other electives
AOA: Was nominated, but likely won't get because of the low Step 1
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 1 publication, 1 abstract accepted with manuscript pending, 2 posters -- none in Medicine. Several on-going research projects in Medicine, but uncertain if they will publish by September. Leadership in several organizations. Strong involvement in community. Some awards.

I will explain my Step 1 score in my PS, but I've heard that some schools will screen interview offers based on #s alone without looking at the rest of your app because they have so many high caliber applicants. I am looking for good reach programs that won't write me off the bat.

If you were me, what would your reach schools be? I am open to all locations. Thanks for your help!

F%ck. If that's not a turd floating in the punchbowl that would otherwise be your awesome life and 4th year . . .

You're going to need some people to CALL for you on this one I think.

Look, it's not like you can't or won't match somewhere, you will. But the step one screen is a horrible bitch here. Because the rest of your app should get you a match at most places. Who is willing to go to bat for you? And how is your home internal medicine program considered nationally? Top 30? Mid-tier?

IMG 3 yrs out, that list doesn't seem at all realistic to be honest.

GW no chance. The PD only takes IMGs from like one location in the Middle East. Not even joking, a resident told me multiple times.

G-town doesn't take IMGs. Maybe one from Ross, like, a long time ago.

I would think any university program is a long shot not even worth wasting money on applying, frankly.

will the fact that my research LORs are from Hopkins help me in anyway, but like I said not in medicine though? and what university programs might consider me? really could use the feedback!

You're basically 4 years out, a USIMG with almost no USCE and none of it in IM.The addition of research is nice, but won't make a major difference unless your PI is also the PD of a residency program. If none of your LORs are from IM, you're fighting a real uphill battle.

Since you're a re-applicant, I would suggest applying to every...single...IM program out there.

If you don't match this year, it's not happening. Ever. Put your ego on ice and apply and interview everywhere that will have you. You should have 15-20 interviews to feel comfortable matching. And even then, comfortable is relative.

I know you want a Uni program, and I don't fault you for that. But people in hell want ice water and they're in a better position than you at this point.

Keep in mind that, if an academic gig is your goal, you will always have fellowship to move up the academic ladder (and nobody will care about where you did your residency if you can score a decent fellowship).

F%ck. If that's not a turd floating in the punchbowl that would otherwise be your awesome life and 4th year . . .

You're going to need some people to CALL for you on this one I think.

Look, it's not like you can't or won't match somewhere, you will. But the step one screen is a horrible bitch here. Because the rest of your app should get you a match at most places. Who is willing to go to bat for you? And how is your home internal medicine program considered nationally? Top 30? Mid-tier?

Yeah, it's painful :/ My home program is mid-tier. Not many big names, but I'm well liked by the department and my LORs would make calls for me so that might be a good idea. I just don't know how far that will go.

School: top 30
Step 1: 253
Step 2: 241
Clinical Grades: Internal Med (honors), Surgery (pass), HP for all the rest
AOA: no
Extracurriculars/Research/etc: dual degree program (MD/MPH); applied/was accepted to summer research program (IM-related) at another institution, which I got a basic science poster & presentation out of. 1 short publication in process of being submitted (2nd author)
LORs: one IM letter, one departmental letter, one letter from MPH advisor...do I need another clinical/IM letter? I'm lucky to have some great faculty members to write letters, but unfortunately they are peds/family med and not IM

Obviously I'll need to add some "mid-tier" schools to my list as well, but my short list so far includes places like UMich, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Columbia, Stanford...am I in the right ballpark program-wise given my stats, and how seriously should I be considering some of the other top 10-15 programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.