Official 2013 Anesthesiology Rank Order Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UCSD
USC
Duke
UCLA
Yale
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Penn
Columbia
Cornell

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Baylor
2. University of Chicago
3. NYU
4. UAB
5. University of Miami
6. Loyola
7. UT Houston
8. University of Florida
9. UPMC
10. USC
11. Rush
12. Harbor-UCLA
13. Maimonides

Members don't see this ad :)
Another friend's list:

1. Mount Sinai
2. NYU
3. Columbia

Another friend's top 3:

1. NYU
2. St Luke's
3. Yale

Another friend's top 3:

1. Mount Sinai
2. NYU
3. Hopkins

And another friend's top 4:

1. Mount Sinai
2. U Wash
3. Columbia
4. U Chicago

Latest tally after 72 rank lists.

Mt. Sinai x 9
UPMC/Pitt x 7
MGH x 7
Hopkins x 4

U Michigan x 2
Vanderbilt x 2
Nebraska x 2
Iowa x 2
Virginia Mason x 2
UCSD x 2
Rush x 2
UCLA x 2
CCF x 2
UCSF x 2
UNC x 2
Wake Forest x 2
OHSU x 2

BWH x 1
BIDMC x 1
Penn x 1
USC x 1
IU x 1
UAB x 1
Colorado x 1
Scott and White - Texas A&M x 1
Kentucky x 1
Wash U StL x 1
UWash x 1
Ohio State x 1
VCU x 1
Stanford x 1
Mayo MN x 1
Emory x 1
Cornell x 1
Baylor x1
NYU x1

Please send lists to Arch G.

Welp. This just made a few people who ranked Sinai #1 a little nervous.

Iowa
Case UH
UTHSCSA
MCW
Oklahoma
Texas Tech
Kansas Witchita
tOSU

Am I the only one who doesn't get this? Southern guy here, so its was obviously off my radar from the get-go, but never heard much about it before this thread

Did you interview there? The place is amazing, and the PD is awesome. I had higher ranks, but it was a really hard decision. Mt. Sinai is definitely one of best programs in my opinion. I completely understand why it was many people's #1.

Am I the only one who doesn't get this? Southern guy here, so its was obviously off my radar from the get-go, but never heard much about it before this thread

I don't get it either, but I too didn't apply to it. Don't forget that this is only 72 people out of the over 1000 people applying to anesthesia. There are plenty of top programs that have 1 or zero people ranking them #1 from this list.

They are likely candidates from the east coast. I am from CA and I didn't know much about this program until talking to a good friend now doing anesthesia in NY. Mt Sinai appears to a well respected program in the region.

And also the away rotation as for a med student; I've heard excellent things about that as well. I was trying to figure this out but it is a categorical or advanced program?

Last edited:
And also an away rotation as for a med student, I've heard excellent things about that as well. I was trying to figure this out but it is a categorical or advanced program?

I'm guilty of liking Sinai as well! It used to be advanced and categorical. I'm certain that it is categorical only now, but about 90% sure that it became categorical-only this year.

I'm guilty of liking Sinai as well! It used to be advanced and categorical. I'm certain that it is categorical only now, but about 90% sure that it became categorical-only this year.

I couldn't find the rotation schedule for the CBY year on their website so I wasn't sure. Thanks!

Also I heard mt. Sinai has insane moonlighting opportunity that their residents are making up to $100k/yr

Also I heard mt. Sinai has insane moonlighting opportunity that their residents are making up to $100k/yr

Duly noted, as well as the input from everybody else, sounds like a great place. You would have to pay me $1M/day to live anywhere near NY, but hey that's just me...

Not to mention that 100k/yr in NY is not really all that much - probably functionally about the same as your salary anywhere not in the northeast or Cali.

then again, one single poster (bandu) posted approximately half (4/9) of those sinai #1s

anyone could do the same for another program on this list and make it look like one of the most competitive

not saying he's full of it, but also not saying he's not

Last edited:
And also the away rotation as for a med student; I've heard excellent things about that as well. I was trying to figure this out but it is a categorical or advanced program?

To answer your question, it just changed this year to a Categorical Only program.

Listed my own ROL and 5 friends' lists... 4/6 listed Sinai as their #1, and 2 did not. Of the 3 friends that did, 2 had done aways there, and 1 had not. 2 were from the NE, 1 was not. So there can be a regional bias or rotational bias there (as there can be with any program). Also, it might be more popular this year since it became entirely categorical this year. It's a possibility.

Either way, there are plenty of amazing programs out there, and the threads on this forum do not constitute a statistically significant sample size to represent all 1000+ anesthesiology applicants out there.

It's just for fun.

Listed my own ROL and 5 friends' lists... 4/6 listed Sinai as their #1, and 2 did not. Of the 3 friends that did, 2 had done aways there, and 1 had not. 2 were from the NE, 1 was not. So there can be a regional bias or rotational bias there (as there can be with any program). Also, it might be more popular this year since it became entirely categorical this year. It's a possibility.

Either way, there are plenty of amazing programs out there, and the threads on this forum do not constitute a statistically significant sample size to represent all 1000+ anesthesiology applicants out there.

It's just for fun.

Kind of for fun, kind of to see who else interviewed where.

There's skepticism because trolls exist. And some get very creative on SDN.

Good luck to you in what, 10 days now?!

I used to have a glass of wine or a cocktail about 3-4x/year. Seriously.

Now I'm drinking daily. Thanks, NRMP, for turning me into a short-term alcoholic :eek:

I am drinking more too... Not sure if due to the match or fourth year as a whole.

Admittedly, I've developed some awesome cocktails

Good luck to everyone!

I don't think I've ever gone to more happy hours in my life.

10 times the decrease in mortality!

Seems+Legit.+saw+this+in+the+depths+of+the+internet_96f6cc_4180994.jpg