Official 2014-2015 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone know what TIME on wednesday we find out? Or it is any time of the day?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received email from NRMP. They will send email at 12 noon regarding match result.

It's the big day! 6hours to go!!

Reactions: 1 users
Matched I my number 1.
University of Louisville.
Thanks to everyone who shared an opinion and answered our quesions. Special thanks to Gutonc.

Reactions: 1 user
Matched at NCI/NIH. I appreciated this forum, particularly input from Gutonc. Congrats to all that have matched!

matched at Sinai St luke roosevelt!

Thank you all forum members! :)

Thank you all for the wonderful season. I matched at University of Arkansas. I wish to continue being an active part in future and contribute more to the discussion. Good luck to all for their future. I wish all the best of luck. Who ever did not match - do not lose hope and keep trying.

Long time stalker of this thread. AMG at lower tier medical school. Average board scores. At a strong clinical residency in California. Limited scholarly activities and some how matched into Utah which I'm super excited about. Thanks for all your efforts into this thread everyone, it has been incredibly helpful. Special thanks to Gut Onc and VanNostran for all your input and effort. Only advice to future applicants is research, research, research and good letters.

Reactions: 1 users
Another long time stalker to this thread. Osteopathic graduate and IM training at small size community osteopathic hospital. Not many publications but put a lot of efforts to do well clinically. I am thrilled to start my fellowship at Karmanos / Wayne State University ! Thanks to all the forum members who shared great help and inputs!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not that it is important for other people here but I will appreciate everyone's input (Specially gutonc) on this:

How would you compare RPCI and Moffitt other than location? Please share pros and cons......

Congratulations to all those who matched this year!

From all the forum gurus I have a question. How beneficial do you guys think is a unaccredited BMT fellowship in preperation for a Hem/onc fellowship application?

Thanks!

Congratulations to all those who matched this year!

From all the forum gurus I have a question. How beneficial do you guys think is a unaccredited BMT fellowship in preperation for a Hem/onc fellowship application?

Thanks!
It might help you get a spot at that one particular program. Otherwise, do a hospitalist year and make some money instead.

Reactions: 1 user
Matched in Medical College of Wisconsin.

Reactions: 2 users
The new fellows , you know what you guys will use as a reference or reading during fellowship? Textbooks? NCCN ? Journal? What do seniors recommend?

Thanks

The new fellows , you know what you guys will use as a reference or reading during fellowship? Textbooks? NCCN ? Journal? What do seniors recommend?

Thanks
Reading? What's that?

UpToDate, NCCN Guidelines (not just the flowcharts but the whole thing), ChemotherapyAdvisor (and references therein), the series "How I Treat XXXX" from Blood for heme questions and the new ASCO-SEP 4 (I assume there's an ASH one too but I didn't heme board so don't care) will get you 98% of the way there. Other than that, get your free subscription to JCO and read the summaries of the articles in the beginning of each issue just so you stay on top of what's new, and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks zgutoc great advice!!

Reading? What's that?

UpToDate, NCCN Guidelines (not just the flowcharts but the whole thing), ChemotherapyAdvisor (and references therein), the series "How I Treat XXXX" from Blood for heme questions and the new ASCO-SEP 4 (I assume there's an ASH one too but I didn't heme board so don't care) will get you 98% of the way there. Other than that, get your free subscription to JCO and read the summaries of the articles in the beginning of each issue just so you stay on top of what's new, and you'll be fine.

Just a curious about something.... Did anyone of you guys asked your faculty or program director to make a personal phone call or sent an email to the program you ended up matching?

No but I wrote them myself telling them how excited I was to be a part of their program.

Hi Gutonc, I unmatched as expected since I only ranked 2 programs. What would you advise me to do to increase my chances next year? Should I look for a hospitalist in a BMT unit or work as a regular hospitalist? Does it really make a difference? Thank you very much for all your help!!! And congrats to all those who matched!!

Hi Gutonc, I unmatched as expected since I only ranked 2 programs. What would you advise me to do to increase my chances next year? Should I look for a hospitalist in a BMT unit or work as a regular hospitalist? Does it really make a difference? Thank you very much for all your help!!! And congrats to all those who matched!!
Hi in in the same boat... Unmatched coz I ranked only 2 programs. I have the same concern as you. Suggestions will be appreciated

Hi in in the same boat... Unmatched coz I ranked only 2 programs. I have the same concern as you. Suggestions will be appreciated
I don't really think it will matter. The bigger issue I have is why you only ranked 2 programs and what you've done so far (and will do prior to the end of the year) to increase your chances of matching. Whatever you do next year will likely have little (not no, but minimal) impact on your ability to match (other than at one specific program). Whatever you choose to do though, definitely make sure it's at a place with a hem/onc fellowship and make some connections.

I don't really think it will matter. The bigger issue I have is why you only ranked 2 programs and what you've done so far (and will do prior to the end of the year) to increase your chances of matching. Whatever you do next year will likely have little (not no, but minimal) impact on your ability to match (other than at one specific program). Whatever you choose to do though, definitely make sure it's at a place with a hem/onc fellowship and make some connections.
Hi Gutonc, I ranked two programs because I had issues because I will move alone with my son. My husband still has 1 year of residency left. That made it more difficult for me to move around with my son alone. So I will reapply next year when my husband finishes. I have ongoing research that I am trying to finish. I have only 6 months left for residency. What is your advice in that limited time? Has anyone applied after residency and got lucky this year or does it get difficult to match if you apply after residency? I saw a lady this year that worked 2 years as a hosptalist in a BMT unit and got 40 interviews at great names. Is that the exception or the rule? Thank you

Hi Gutonc, I ranked two programs because I had issues because I will move alone with my son. My husband still has 1 year of residency left. That made it more difficult for me to move around with my son alone. So I will reapply next year when my husband finishes.
I'm pretty sure I mentioned that was a bad idea (at least as far as the Match goes) at the time, but you do what you have to do and I can't fault you for that.
I have ongoing research that I am trying to finish. I have only 6 months left for residency. What is your advice in that limited time? Has anyone applied after residency and got lucky this year or does it get difficult to match if you apply after residency? I saw a lady this year that worked 2 years as a hosptalist in a BMT unit and got 40 interviews at great names. Is that the exception or the rule? Thank you
You know 2 things about this person, 1) she worked for 2y as a hospitalist in a BMT unit and 2) she got 40 interviews. You have no idea how, if at all, those two things are related. At this point, you've done all you can do. If there's a BMT unit where you live now, try to get a job as a hospitalist there.

Hello all!

I hope you all ended up matching at places that you hoped to. For those of you who did not, keep your heads up and keep looking forward and strengthen your applications. I ended up at UTSW and am really excited about it!

Off to a cards rotation now :)

Reactions: 7 users
I'm headed to Rochester MN ... I'm grateful for the people over here who helped me out throughout this process (especially visari).... especially when I was confused about my #1 and #2 ... I'm thrilled!
I think this thread has tons of useful information for future applicants

Congrats everyone! Thanks for all the great advice shared by many throughout the last few months. matched at Pitt my top choice. To those taking 1-2 yrs off, I did the same thing for family reasons and at the end of the day didn't feel like it was a great impediment as long as you have a good story to share during interviews and are passionate about the field and keep doing something in the field during the off years.

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and intend to apply for hem/Onc fellowship next year. I am a second year resident in a mid tier community program in Michigan. i intend to do private practice eventually and would like to have a strong clinical experience. I have been reading posts on this forum for some time and find it really helpful. I have a couple of questions and i will be grateful if someone can take some time and answer these for me.

Being a visa requiring IMG and coming from a mid tier community program in Michigan what factors are the most crucial in getting me a Hem/Onc fellowship?

What kind of research and publications count the most? Do poster presentations, case reports, quality improvement projects count? I am asking this because i think i can get strong letters of recommendations from faculty members but there are limited opportunities for research in my program:(

Do away rotations help and what kind of objectives should i try to achieve when i am doing an away rotation?

Does doing a chief year make a significant impact on your application?

I am sure there are other members on the forum who have similar questions about Hem/Onc fellowship. We can all benefit if one of the members can answer these questions for us.

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and intend to apply for hem/Onc fellowship next year. I am a second year resident in a mid tier community program in Michigan. i intend to do private practice eventually and would like to have a strong clinical experience. I have been reading posts on this forum for some time and find it really helpful. I have a couple of questions and i will be grateful if someone can take some time and answer these for me.

Being a visa requiring IMG and coming from a mid tier community program in Michigan what factors are the most crucial in getting me a Hem/Onc fellowship?

What kind of research and publications count the most? Do poster presentations, case reports, quality improvement projects count? I am asking this because i think i can get strong letters of recommendations from faculty members but there are limited opportunities for research in my program:(

Do away rotations help and what kind of objectives should i try to achieve when i am doing an away rotation?

Does doing a chief year make a significant impact on your application?

I am sure there are other members on the forum who have similar questions about Hem/Onc fellowship. We can all benefit if one of the members can answer these questions for us.

1. Sorry, I don't know anything about visa issues (I'm American).

2. I'm sure first author on an RCT or systematic review or meta-analysis in a reputable journal would be pretty awesome! But obviously something (even a case report or poster) would be better than nothing. Just try to do as much as you realistically can. Generally speaking, the more, the better.

3. I think it also depends on where you're applying to. If you're applying to MD Anderson, then I presume other applicants will probably have some high quality publications so you'll have to be on par with them to have a chance, whereas if you're applying to a small community program then maybe a poster would be sufficient? I'm sure there are others who know far better than I do though. Hopefully they can weigh in.

4. I suppose away rotations help at that program where you're doing away rotations and if your program doesn't have a heme/onc fellowship.

5. Objective should be to try to impress the right people in heme/onc so you can get in.

6. I can't see chief year hurting (except financially!). More relevant question is whether you're actually being offered a chief year right now and what other options you have on the table.

Just my thoughts.

I dont think a community hospital chief year will make any difference based on what Ive seen

I dont think a community hospital chief year will make any difference based on what Ive seen

I agree with the above.

and congrats to those who posted where they matched ... all great programs!
and for those who didn't post where they matched, congrats as well. but it's really nice of you to come back and reflect on the process if you asked questions on this thread.

Does anyone know how to find out which programs didn't fill all their slots?

Does anyone know how to find out which programs didn't fill all their slots?

People who don't match are able to see programs with open slots. My understanding is that sharing that information is an NRMP violation. Applicants who match can't see which programs have open slots.

to those who matched this year or former folks, how are you guys preparing for fellowship? are you doing any reading at all or trying to do as much hem/onc rotations as possible?
I don't know what the expectations are from 1st year fellows as they start their training. I might be over thinking this but I hate to look like an idiot or feel behind in July.

to those who matched this year or former folks, how are you guys preparing for fellowship? are you doing any reading at all or trying to do as much hem/onc rotations as possible?
I don't know what the expectations are from 1st year fellows as they start their training. I might be over thinking this but I hate to look like an idiot or feel behind in July.
You are overthinking this, you will look like an idiot and you will feel behind...no matter what you do. Get another Onc rotation under your belt before then and, if you really feel you have to, try to familiarize yourself with the NCCN guidelines for breast, lung, colon and prostate and maybe read a couple of the "How I Treat..." articles from Blood (MM, AML and DLBCL are a great start). You'll be miles ahead of expectations with that alone.

Hi, does anyone know when I should expect getting more interview for H/O fellowship, I've heard H/O people are lazy:) and usually they will start sending the invitation in Sep, and most of the traveling for the interviews would be Oct, Nov, is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.