Official 2014-2015 IM WAMC Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeinternist

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Established DO school
Bottom half rank in class, significant improvement academically over first two years
Clinical s mostly HP and Honors, IM Honors, with great comments from preceptors
COMLEX 1 low 500, COMLEX 2 will probably be around that range maybe 550 at best
Didnt take USMLE, not interested in pursuing fellowships or research
LORs should be pretty good
Excellent Extracurriculars: Several scholarships and awards, top leadership positions on national level for patient safety organizations, specialty organization etc. Started a company, patent pending on a product to improve medical education.
Deans letter comments should be pretty good

Looking at mostly community programs and few university programs that i know are reaches in the northeast. Any thoughts on my chances at some of these programs? Also please do let me know if you have any suggestions of good community IM programs that are DO friendly

RWJ NJ
Atlantic health - morristown
atlantic health - overlook
atlanticare
monmouth medical center
jersey shore univ
geisinger health system
penn state milton hershey
reading health system
crozer chester medical center

Christiana

Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1: 252
Mid-tier MD school
Grades: 3rd quintile, all HP during 3rd year with H in psych and P in IM sub-I (ouch)
Research: one first author publication recently submitted +/- first-author case report, several poster presentations at national meetings

I realize that my grades are going to hurt me quite a bit. Could taking step 2 early possibly make up for the clinical grades? I'm interested in pursuing a cardiology fellowship, so would like to match at the most competitive programs within my reach -- I'm having trouble identifying which these would be though.
I suggest you take step 2 as early as possible and aim for 250+ to try and make up for the HP in medicine and P in subI (which is a red flag).

Members don't see this ad :)
Mid-tier MD school
Grades: 3rd quintile, all HP during 3rd year with H in psych and P in IM sub-I (ouch)
Research: one first author publication recently submitted +/- first-author case report, several poster presentations at national meetings

I realize that my grades are going to hurt me quite a bit. Could taking step 2 early possibly make up for the clinical grades? I'm interested in pursuing a cardiology fellowship, so would like to match at the most competitive programs within my reach -- I'm having trouble identifying which these would be though.

get a similar or higher step 2 score and good LORs and you will be more than fine

Step 1 252
Step 2 CK 264
IM shelf 98
4.0 GPA in basic sciences and clinicals (including IM and IM sub-I)
caribbean school (all clinicals done in US)
6 publications in well-known journals (no 1st authors)

I know coming from a caribbean school hurts me badly, but the rest of my application is solid. So do I have any chance at matching IM at a competitive university porgram (ie Dartmouth, OHSA, UF, Colorado, Emory, UNC, UVa, etc, etc) or does coming from a caribbean school completely withdraw my name from the conversation???

Step 1 252
Step 2 CK 264
IM shelf 98
4.0 GPA in basic sciences and clinicals (including IM and IM sub-I)
caribbean school (all clinicals done in US)
6 publications in well-known journals (no 1st authors)

I know coming from a caribbean school hurts me badly, but the rest of my application is solid. So do I have any chance at matching IM at a competitive university porgram (ie Dartmouth, OHSA, UF, Colorado, Emory, UNC, UVa, etc, etc) or does coming from a caribbean school completely withdraw my name from the conversation???

Look at their match lists and see if they've taken any caribbean students. If they have, then I think you'd fit the bill. If they haven't, then I think you're SOL because I am sure you aren't the first to apply with impressive stats. Good luck and otherwise solid app. You'll match somewhere decent, but unlikely "top tier".

Hi everyone, I am DO Student and would like to match into academic MD IM residencies (mostly in midwest area) and would appreciate some help. I will be applying for the 2014-2015 match.
Step 1: 244
Step 2: 254
Class rank: 5/125
DO equivalent of AOA: Sigma Sigma Phi
I scored above 90% on all my COMATs/shelf exams besides peds.
I have some research experience during undergrad and med school. But no publications. I have lots of volunteering experience and some leadership. Have 3 great (i think) LORs so far from IM preceptor, family med preceptor and OB/gyn profressor/preceptor.
Safe schools: University of kentucky, Louisville, UT-knoxville
Mid tier: UIC, Rush, Loyola, Ohio state, University of cincinnati, indiana, case western
Top tier/ reach: Upenn, cleveland clinic, Emory, Univ of Chicago, northwestern
What are my chances? should I even apply to my top tier programs?

Hi everyone, I am DO Student and would like to match into academic MD IM residencies (mostly in midwest area) and would appreciate some help. I will be applying for the 2014-2015 match.

Univ of Chicago, northwestern

UChicago and Northwestern have never taken DO's in their internal medicine program to the best of my knowledge. UChicago =/= UChicago Northshore which is a community program.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it just me or has there been insane step 1 grade inflation lately? I'm not that far out, but now it seems like everyone is getting a 240 on this thing, which used to be a great score.

Need some help,

Medical student at top 25 medical school
12 papers published (mix of first author and 4-5th author)
Very Strong LORS
Honors in Medicine
Step 1: 220 (big weakness)
School has no AOA

What kind of programs should I target? Do I have any chances at Mount Sinai, NYU, Or even Cornell? What kind of Step 2 score can help compensate for this?

I am interested in NY, Philly, Boston, or Baltimore. I lost a close family member 2 days before my Step one; I was averaging in the 240s otherwise. Not an excuse but I know I can do better on Step 2.

Mike

Need some help,

Medical student at top 25 medical school
12 papers published (mix of first author and 4-5th author)
Very Strong LORS
Honors in Medicine
Step 1: 220 (big weakness)
School has no AOA

What kind of programs should I target? Do I have any chances at Mount Sinai, NYU, Or even Cornell? What kind of Step 2 score can help compensate for this?

I am interested in NY, Philly, Boston, or Baltimore. I lost a close family member 2 days before my Step one; I was averaging in the 240s otherwise. Not an excuse but I know I can do better on Step 2.

Mike

I'm assuming by NY, Philly, Boston and Baltimore you are looking to get into Queens hospital, Pennsy, South Boston Community Center and Maryland General hospital IM programs... You would be competitive for these programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming by NY, Philly, Boston and Baltimore you are looking to get into Queens hospital, Pennsy, South Boston Community Center and Maryland General hospital IM programs... You would be competitive for these programs.
Don't be a jerk. He's clearly shooting for Downstate, Drexel, St. Elizabeth's and Sinai-"Hopkins".

Thanks for the super helpful replies. I wanted an east coast city because I have family there but I sincerely appreciate your snide comments.

Thanks for the super helpful replies. I wanted an east coast city because I have family there but I sincerely appreciate your snide comments.
Dude...chill. There are hojiggity million good programs in those places (and some crap ones like I named). Your 220's gonna be a problem at the HMS programs, Big Johnny's and Cornell/Columbia, but no reason not to just apply.

Is it just me or has there been insane step 1 grade inflation lately? I'm not that far out, but now it seems like everyone is getting a 240 on this thing, which used to be a great score.
Up from what, like 215 just 4 years ago? 240 is the new 230.
I don't know about inflation, but there also much better resources available now for Step 1 prep that weren't available before: USMLEWorld, NBME self-assessments, Goljan, Pathoma, etc. Also, 215 was the average back in 2001.

You are quite welcome. Don't tiptoe around where you want. Let't not front as if you weren't asking specifically about Columbia/Cornell, Penn, MGH/Brigham, and Hopkins when you said NY, Phili, Boston, Baltimore. That's fine if you were... just ask though. It was clear what you were after when you included Baltimore. No one wants to end up in Baltimore. The only reason you end up in Baltimore is because you were either kidnapped and brought there or you go to Hopkins.

It's douchy to tip toe around it like that. I find this often when I ask someone from MGH where they trained. They will often say Boston... you know two things- they either trainined at MGH or the Brigham and they're a douchenozzle.

Reactions: 1 users
It's douchy to tip toe around it like that. I find this often when I ask someone from MGH where they trained. They will often say Boston... you know two things- they either trainined at MGH or the Brigham and they're a douchenozzle.

Geez man take it easy on the guy-- I actually think for many people the whole point of saying "Boston" instead of MGH/brigham is to avoid being a "douchenozzle" by touting the Harvard name.

To answer your question pandoraone I had friends in my class (top 50 allo) who had much less research than you, did mediocre on step 1 but blew step 2 out of the water (270+) and got into top 10 programs. If I were you and I were strongly interested in those top programs I would seriously consider doing aways in your area of research and knock it out of the park. I would also do an early subI-- which you would need to honor.

Question here. I am an osteopathic student as well who only took COMLEX. I did alright on that but I have great grades and rotation evaluations. I have held leadership positions on a national level. I have been trying to secure audition rotations and have not had much luck on the IM front (although I do each month filled for a different specialty to cover myself and some are at institutions that I am considering for IM as well). I think that I will do best in IM. What is the best way to increase my chances. I think I just got spooked when I wasn't getting the response for visiting rotations that I was expecting through VSAS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Been a long time follower. This website has been really useful in preparation for the boards. It seems like internal medicine is getting more and more competitive. Would really appreciate some advise on program's I should be realistically targeting. Here are my stats

IMG, 2012 graduate from a British medical school (ranked within the top 15 medical schools in the world by several international rankings)
241 on step 1, 258 on step 2 and pass first time on step 2 CS, no visa issues (green card)
Have a intercalated BSc
Completed two years of foundation training at a large academic centre associated with a very well renowned university
Two months electives in the USA
In terms of extracurriculars - I have a teaching contract at the very famous medical school my hospital is affiliated with and have been rated as excellent by the students
I have two very strong LOR from my electives (they are from 2012) however will not be waiving my right to see them
Some research - few posters and few abstract published - no major publications however
Currently enrolled in a part time post grad teaching degree and will have a MPhil from the university the hospital I work at is affiliated with.

I know as a IMG it's an uphill task to be matched. My long term goal is to be a bone marrow transplanter. Ideally would like to match in the north east. Any suggestions of program's I should apply to.

Thanks

Really? That never bothers me. If they trained at BU and said "boston" would that make you think they are trying to pose as an MGH resident?

Mid-tier MD school

How did you get a P on your sub-I? Thats like an almost instant honors unless you are terrible

Hey guys, so I don't know if this is too late for this but I'm going to try anyway. I don't have any Drs in my family so I'm pretty much going blind hear so any help would be appreciated and please don't hold back.

Step 1: Mid 240s
Step 2 CK/ CS: Not Taken Yet
School: Low-Mid Tier
Class Rank: Top 25 Percent
Grades in Clerkship: Honored 3rd year, including IM
AOA: Maybe, but probably not.
Research/ Publications/ Extracurricular: 1 Poster presentation, 1 paper submitted, class representative and mentor,
Overview of where you want to end up: I don't much care where I end up, but I want to be at a University program where I can teach, and I'm considering A/I so I would favor a place with that fellowship. That said I would be happy to match anywhere.

Programs I'm considering applying to applying to:

UVA, VCU, Duke, Wake, UNC, Mississippi, OHSU, UWash, Henry Ford - WSU, DMC - WSU, Ohio State, UCinn, Case Western, Cleveland Clinic, UWisc, MCW, Upitt, Penn State, UPenn, Indiana, UIC, Northwestern, Emory, UMich, Beaumont, Baylor, Tufts, Boston U, UCLA, USC

Also what are the main programs for University of Alabama and UTennesee? I saw 2 listed...

Seems reasonable, you could throw a few reach programs on there if you want. I assume Wayne State with the Henry Ford/Beaumont? Lots of kids in those classes.

Hi, is there a 2014-15 WAMC thread up? I would really appreciate feedback on reaches/safetys for me, thanks!

Step 1: 224
Step 2 CK/ CS: taking at end of this month
School: top 30 med school
Class Rank: no ranking
Grades in Clerkship: mix of high pass and pass (including IM)
AOA: no
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 1 poster at national conference, 1 school podium presentation, 2 abstracts; anesthesia extern, cardiology interest group vice president
Overview of where you want to end up: I have family in Texas and want to end up there, but I would be happy staying in the Midwest. Also not against going anywhere in the US. Looking at programs such as Baylor, Southwestern, any other Texas program, Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri-Columbia, SLU, Creighton, Nebraska, UNC-Chapel Hill, Arizona, Colorado, OHSU...I really don't have a gauge of what schools I would be a typical or competitive applicant at.

It is with a heavy heart that I finally start this thread. I was hoping to hold out until ERAS actually opened but....

WAMC posts outside of this thread will be deleted. Current posts in the 13/14 thread will be moved shortly. Sarcasm will be in heavy rotation. Hurt butts will be mercilessly mocked. Carry on....

Note that, because I don't have the power to backdate my post, it will wind up here in the middle of the thread. You'll get over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi, is there a 2014-15 WAMC thread up? I would really appreciate feedback on reaches/safetys for me, thanks!
Now there is. You're welcome...everything that happens from here out is on you BTW.
Step 1: 224
Step 2 CK/ CS: taking at end of this month
School: top 30 med school
Class Rank: no ranking
Grades in Clerkship: mix of high pass and pass (including IM)
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 1 poster at national conference, 1 school podium presentation, 2 abstracts; anesthesia extern, cardiology interest group vice president
Overview of where you want to end up: I have family in Texas and want to end up there, but I would be happy staying in the Midwest. Also not against going anywhere in the US. Looking at programs such as Baylor, Southwestern, any other Texas program, Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri-Columbia, SLU, Creighton, Nebraska, UNC-Chapel Hill, Arizona, Colorado, OHSU...I really don't have a gauge of what schools I would be a typical or competitive applicant at.

OHSU, UTSW, UNC and Colorado and probably not happening for you...but no reason not to apply to them, at the outside, those places will cost you $100 total for the app. The rest of them are well within your reach. Consider adding UIC and Rush, MCW, UNM, Utah (although probably a stretch), Indiana, SIU, Louisville, Kentucky, a bunch of Ohio programs not named Cleveland Clinic.... You'll probably get 10 interviews out of the places you listed though.

UChicago and Northwestern have never taken DO's in their internal medicine program to the best of my knowledge. UChicago =/= UChicago Northshore which is a community program.

So are you saying I shouldnt bother applying to Northwestern and Uchicago? I dont know how to go about applications. If the school has not taken a DO before you just dont apply there even with decent stats?

So are you saying I shouldnt bother applying to Northwestern and Uchicago? I dont know how to go about applications. If the school has not taken a DO before you just dont apply there even with decent stats?
If you're an AMG you need great stats, not decent, to get IVs from those places.

No reason you can't apply, it's just money. But the likelihood of you getting an interview is about the same as winning PowerBall and MegaMillions the same week.

So if you're going to drop the cash on NW and UChi, at least buy a couple of lottery tickets too.

If you're an AMG you need great stats, not decent, to get IVs from those places.

No reason you can't apply, it's just money. But the likelihood of you getting an interview is about the same as winning PowerBall and MegaMillions the same week.

So if you're going to drop the cash on NW and UChi, at least buy a couple of lottery tickets too.

These are not great stats? I am sorry if I sound ignorant but what are great stats in your opinion? I understand being a DO puts me out of the norms too.

I have some research experience during undergrad and med school. But no publications. I have lots of volunteering experience and some leadership. Have 3 great (i think) LORs so far from IM preceptor, family med preceptor and OB/gyn profressor/preceptor.
Mid tier: UIC, Rush, Loyola, Ohio state, University of cincinnati, indiana, case western

These are not great stats? I am sorry if I sound ignorant but what are great stats in your opinion? I understand being a DO puts me out of the norms too.

This post (no offense intended to you) is emblematic of why I think WAMC threads are stupid in general. You can look at the match lists of those programs as easily as anybody else can. Beyond that, nobody can really estimate your chances. If they've never taken a DO, the likelihood of you being the first one to break that barrier is very small...but not zero. So why the hell not just apply? Given the amount of money you've already spent to get this far, what's another $100-150?

How do you know they didn't train at BU or Tufts?

Step 1: 251
Step 2: haven't taken
Class rank: Top 20%
AOA: Not junior, hoping senior
3rd year: Honored all but surgery and waiting on OB/GYN
Mid-tier state school
A couple research projects, nothing worth describing here-one poster, two presentations. No publications
Extracurriculars mainly involved sports (coaching, refereeing, Special Olympics, intramural etc.)
Not geographically biased, looking for a program with smart, good people that will make my three years enjoyable and mold me into a good physician. Interested in heme/onc fellowship. List is kind of long mainly because I have no idea what I'm doing. curious which ones I should cut because their programs aren't great or because I won't be competitive. Thanks everyone who helps. I get this is early, but I'm just trying to get an idea of where I am.

Where I think I'll be competitive-safer schools
UKy, ULouisville, IU, VCU, Boston U, UT-San Antonio, Thomas Jefferson, Rush,UFlorida, UMaryland, OSU, Loyola, Wake Forest, UCincinnati,Tulane, UUtah, MUSC.

Cut some of these
Musc is a keeper bc charleston rocks
Bu, ky, vcu, umd, wake, utsa rush tulane and utah are the ones you should consider. Of these you probably need at most 5.

Loyola ucincy osu prolly should be dropped

This post (no offense intended to you) is emblematic of why I think WAMC threads are stupid in general. You can look at the match lists of those programs as easily as anybody else can. Beyond that, nobody can really estimate your chances. If they've never taken a DO, the likelihood of you being the first one to break that barrier is very small...but not zero. So why the hell not just apply? Given the amount of money you've already spent to get this far, what's another $100-150?

Thanks for your help. Honestly speaking from that list and with my stats what are some of the schools I am likely to get invited for an interview?

Need some help with making a list,

Here's my stats
Step 1: 227
Step 2: 228
COMLEX 1: 609
COMLEX 2: 564
Class rank: top third
3rd year grades: All honors
Have a little bit of research too in between 1st and 2nd year, but no posters or publications.

Would I be able to stay in the DC/Maryland/Northern VA area for residency? Not sure what fellowship I want to do, but probably not Cardio/GI. Do you guys think I have a shot at matching at a program in this area with the chance to get a fellowship afterwards?

Thanks a lot!

Step 2: pending
Medical school: mid-tier school just north of NYC
CS: pending
Class Rank: second/third quintile
Grades in Clerkships: 2 honors (Neurology and Psychiatry), 2 Passes (Surgery and Medicine...had attendings that rarely gave out H/HPs on these rotations..) and HP the rest. Honors in medicine Sub-I and will be doing away "audition" electives at Brown and Yale (will be gunning my *** off to shine on these).
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 2 first author publications (one in cardiology which I also presented in a national conference and one in child psychiatry) and lots of mentoring/tutoring experience back in college.

Programs I'm interested in: Cornell, MSSM, Yale traditional tract/Yale Primary Care Tract, Brown, Georgetown, Dartmouth, Northwestern, UChicago, Mayo, OHSU, Hopkins Bayview, Cleveland clinic, UMichigan, UMD, BU, UCLA/UCI/UCSD, UVA, Emory, Tufts, VCU, Monte.

Thoughts? Any other schools with solid fellowship matches I'd have a shot at?

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. Honestly speaking from that list and with my stats what are some of the schools I am likely to get invited for an interview?
Likely none of the reaches, most of the others. Add places like Iowa, SLU, Mizzou, Nebraska, UMinn, MCW, SIU if you feel like you need more options.

Why is that? are they out of my league?
You asked what the main programs for Alabama and UTenn were. I told you UAB (which is a great program and you're likely to get an interview offer from based on your stats) and UT-Who Cares?...none of them are anywhere as good as the other places on your list.

Ah ok, Thanks so much for your help! :)

Hey guys,

Sorry for the extra post but I was wondering if any one would be kind enough to assess my chances at the programs I listed above? I'm mostly interested in knowing what I can do to overcomes my two passes (one in IM clerkship) and whether doing an away elective at Yale will help?

Need some help with making a list,

Here's my stats
Step 1: 227
Step 2: 228
COMLEX 1: 609
COMLEX 2: 564
Class rank: top third
3rd year grades: All honors
Have a little bit of research too in between 1st and 2nd year, but no posters or publications.

Would I be able to stay in the DC/Maryland/Northern VA area for residency? Not sure what fellowship I want to do, but probably not Cardio/GI. Do you guys think I have a shot at matching at a program in this area with the chance to get a fellowship afterwards?

Thanks a lot!

I assume you are a DO? I have no idea how that world works, other than you are at the bottom of the pile. I assume you are doing the DO/AOA match?

Hey guys,

Sorry for the extra post but I was wondering if any one would be kind enough to assess my chances at the programs I listed above? I'm mostly interested in knowing what I can do to overcomes my two passes (one in IM clerkship) and whether doing an away elective at Yale will help?

You can't overcome a pass in medicine. The way to overcome it was to work harder at the time. Some programs will screen you out, nothing you can do about it.

Away rotations are overrated, unless you have your heart set on one program and do a great job when you do your away.

I assume you are a DO? I have no idea how that world works, other than you are at the bottom of the pile. I assume you are doing the DO/AOA match?

Yeah I'm a DO. Do you think I have a chance at any of the ACGME programs in this area? DO is pretty limited geographically.

IM2GI, so what programs on my list will I still be competitive for? Do you think Yale will screen me out even with a great away elective performance? I've heard of several people matching with HPs at my school, and what about the PC tract at Yale? Anyone know how hard it is to match there?