Official 2014-2015 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
33 < MCAT < 36
GPA ~ 3.4
sGPA < 3.3, upward trend last years
non-URM, super non-trad, applying MD-PhD
5 II, 8 R out of 30 -- but I just need one, yeah?

So heartened by folks on this thread. Congrats to all the acceptances!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
25 MCAT 6-9-10
3.18 sGPA, 3.3 cGPA (lots of ugly grades)
Great letters of Rec. (none from a DO)
Ohio Resident
TONS of clinical research experience
Submitted in August

Interviewed & was accepted into OU so far & an interview at Uni of Cincinnati.

Just wanted to say that I read & reread this forum for a little inspiration. I never, ever thought I'd land an interview unless it was Lecom or one of the 'bottom' schools. Keep your heads up....stand out in your PS and secondaries. Make sure you have real life experiences and not just lab bench work---it goes SUCH a long way.You can beat the odds too--Don't give up!!!!

Reactions: 10 users
33 < MCAT < 36
GPA ~ 3.4
sGPA < 3.3, upward trend last years
non-URM, super non-trad, applying MD-PhD
5 II, 8 R out of 30 -- but I just need one, yeah?

So heartened by folks on this thread. Congrats to all the acceptances!!
Good luck!!!!! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think bring a CA resident should be added to the list..

Because all CA residents are in essence underdogs
Why are California residents considered underdogs? I keep seeing this in several threads, but I'm not understanding where this is coming from.

Because CA med schools are so insanely competitive that you have to be a god like to even have a shot.. Take a look at the stats of admitted students to any of the CA IS public med schools.. OMG!! It will make your eyes water.. so it forces CA residents to apply OOS publics.. Which is always an uphill battle. I'm actually thinking of moving to AZ, CO, Montana and working as a paramedic for a year or so to establish residency and then apply to the state med school at that point.

Reactions: 4 users
cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.8, MCAT 37 (PS 14, VR 11, BS 12). I had a number of F's from community college namely for financial reasons. I'm a highschool drop out, never really thought I'd be getting a bachelors degree. I was homeless 3 years ago, and my social worker helped me get into a local university, and I've completed about 120 credit hours with a 4.0 since then. My ECs are not as good as I'd like them to be, but I've only been pursuing medicine for 2 years, and in that respect they aren't terrible. I've interviewed at 6 Texas schools, and one out of state. If I get a prematch in the next couple days I will be so relieved and happy!

Reactions: 5 users
Finally accepted to medical school, I hope everyone on this thread receives good news in the next few months.

Reactions: 3 users
Pre-matched to TTUHSC got my first acceptance! I'm a reapplicant and last year I got one interview and was waitisted, this year I got 5 interview invites and I've been accepted to my first school by the grace of God!

Reactions: 2 users
2.9 sGPA, 3.2 cGPA..... I didn't think I had a shot. Finished a non-smp 1 year masters with a 3.9 GPA. I somehow scored a 39 on the MCAT and am now sitting on 2 Texas prematch offers. Whew

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
GPA 2.7 MCAT 34 LM = 61.7

Accepted MD today :)

Reactions: 8 users
Highest but NOT most recent score....25 (7ps 9v 9bio)
undergrad science gpa 3.0
3.4 grad
5 rejections..1 II....have hope.. will continue to post ...good luck everyone!!!! and DONT GIVE UP!

3.4-3.6 cGPA 3.6-3.7 sGPA
25-28 MCAT.

Applied to three MD schools, 1 interview, 1 acceptance at top personal choice. Still in post secondary "mode" for the other two.
My ECs were very unique which helped greatly. There is still hope as long as you can stand out in a good way.

Congratulations to all of you! I'm a few years from applying but as someone with underdog stats, its so encouraging to see y'all succeeding!

Reactions: 1 user
Although I have not even finished half of my undergrad, I feel like I am an underdog. I barely graduated high school, and then I took two years off. Literally, I had no intention of ever going to school (I did not know half of the times table). However, due to guilt, I started again in January 2014, while working 2 jobs. I literally did nothing but study my ass off, research about a medical career, volunteer, shadow, work, and exercise a little. I just finished freshman year at my CC with a 4.0, and I have been accepted into the best University in my state!
I have no intentions of stopping now, and I will continue to post on this forum to update you guys. I feel like almost anything is possible with a little luck, patience, and a lot of f****** hardcore studying.

cGPA: 3.38, sGPA: 3.52
MCAT: 31
Non-trad. Strong ECs

Applied: 10x MD, 6x DO
4 II's ( 1x MD state school, 1x MD alma mater, 2x in region DO), 1x MD on hold. Interviews begin in Jan.

Expected my gpa and late application to be fatal and would need to reapply next year but surprisingly I may have a decent chance. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: 1 users
Because CA med schools are so insanely competitive that you have to be a god like to even have a shot.. Take a look at the stats of admitted students to any of the CA IS public med schools.. OMG!! It will make your eyes water.. so it forces CA residents to apply OOS publics.. Which is always an uphill battle. I'm actually thinking of moving to AZ, CO, Montana and working as a paramedic for a year or so to establish residency and then apply to the state med school at that point.

CA Resident here. To my surprise, I got no OOS love yet. I applied broadly because of everyone telling me CA is impossible.

3.5gpa, 30mcat, ORM
5IIs (started in Oct) - 4 UC, 1 DO (also in CA), 2 MD waitlists, 1 DO acceptance

Love this thread, you guys are all so inspiring :love:

3.23 cGPA, 3.01 sGPA, 3.26 SMP GPA
27 MCAT (11V, 7P, 9B)
URM- Grew up in foster care and legal guardianship
4 Years as a medical scribe with 1 year as coordinator of the program
5 publications with 2 first author publications in gynecology through my job as a clinical research assistant
Technical lab experience at the Uniformed Services University
EMS experience and healthcare mission trip and community service

Accepted to Nova Southeastern University :) Don't let your stats get you down, I know I almost did. Push hard to get your ECs across in your app and make strong connections with mentors!

Accepted to Texas Tech, and an out of state school I can't afford to go to! Match is Feb 1st, so I might get into another school.

GPA: 3.48 (s and c) MCAT: 29 (9/10/10) ORM
3 years as a med tech, good ECs but not great, shadowed 5 physicians, volunteer experience, some research experience
Applied to 10+ MD and 10+ DO
4 interviews: 3 DO, 1 MD
2 waitlists (MD&DO), 1 cancelled interview due to 1 acceptance (DO)

Resident's salary and surgical resident's hours, but killing it in NYC and having a blast. That's a true underdog story.

<3.29 uGPA >3.1
<3.25 sGPA >3.0
multiple MCATs with the latest >31 and <37.
Difficult SMP completed GPA <3.5

ORM, CA resident, really strong EC (athlete, leadership, >1400 hours of medical volunteering, shadowing, 200+ hours of nonmedical, publications, abstracts), 3 "gap years" total between undergrad and grad school, and then grad school and med school. 3 application cycles.

Completed about 45 secondaries (DO and MD)
5 DO IIs, attended 3, accepted to 3 (all before Nov 1st)
3 MD II: currently WL at 2, and accepted to 1.

The odds were stacked against me, yet somehow the adcoms have seen past that and have decided to let me become a doctor! Getting that first MD acceptance is a day I will remember for the rest of my life and has made the blood, sweat and tears worth it! You only need one and never give up!!