Official 2015-2016 Endocrinology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi I am in the process of applying to endocrine fellowships. I completed an IM residency in 2006 and have been in private practice since, primarily as a hospitalist. This is a well thought out decision on my part, but I was wondering if this time lapse since training will affect my chances of obtaining a position.

Hi I am in the process of applying to endocrine fellowships. I completed an IM residency in 2006 and have been in private practice since, primarily as a hospitalist. This is a well thought out decision on my part, but I was wondering if this time lapse since training will affect my chances of obtaining a position.

it will have some effect, but if you apply broadly you should get some interviews...would you get more if you graduated this year...sure...

more important will be are you a AMG vs an F/IMG and who your LoRs are from.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see that no one is active on this forum when compared to the other specialties. Are there not many applicants this year in Endocrinology? Please post.....

2 more days to go! Anyone submitting application on 7/15/15?

How important is apply the 15? I have 3 LoR. Waiting for one more. I will say that one is kinda important?

How important is apply the 15? I have 3 LoR. Waiting for one more. I will say that one is kinda important?
the fellowship interview season is short...most interviews really are done by sept, early oct at the latest with most invites extended by sept...you should go ahead and apply on the 15th...and you only need 3 LoRs for most programs (i don't remember any program wanting 4).

I have all my LoR and documents ready except for the photo (it might take 3-5 business days to be available). I am planning on submitting my application tomorrow. But does anyone know how the process works for programs? Would I be able to assign the photo later once available to the programs and then they will be notified or is it once they download the application they are done?

So I applied on 15th at around 3 PM. How do I know if programs are downloading the application?

I have all my LoR and documents ready except for the photo (it might take 3-5 business days to be available). I am planning on submitting my application tomorrow. But does anyone know how the process works for programs? Would I be able to assign the photo later once available to the programs and then they will be notified or is it once they download the application they are done?
I dont think photo is a major deal maker or breaker. Go ahead and apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think photo is a major deal maker or breaker. Go ahead and apply.
Thank you MZB. I did apply yesterday. Surprisingly, my photo was ready within 1 day of uploading it. Now I will just have to sit back and relax waiting for some replies (hopefully interviews and not rejections :))

Last edited:
Applied to less than 15 programs. Now I'm nervous lol

Hey guys! Update on interview invites

Unc
Univ virginia

Hey guys!
New here... Thanks everyone who decides to share their updates.
Update on interview invites:
Wash U St. Louis
UPMC

Update on interview invites:
University of Nebraska

Interview List:
University of Nebraska
Wash U St. Louis
UPMC
UNC
University of Virginia

Hi
I am currently working in primary care ,completed IM residency in 2010 but has decided to try for endo fellowship next year . How do I get a program directors letter and LORs . How can I improve my chances for next year .. Can you recommend on what I should do over the next yr to get to good program .

All the best for your new endeavour. Thank you in advance

Hi All

Will really appreciate if you could mention the dates you recieved the interview also along with the program name for which you get interview.

Hi
I am currently working in primary care ,completed IM residency in 2010 but has decided to try for endo fellowship next year . How do I get a program directors letter and LORs . How can I improve my chances for next year .. Can you recommend on what I should do over the next yr to get to good program .

All the best for your new endeavour. Thank you in advance
You should get some research project or at least a case report. If you have an interesting endo case you can approach an endocrinologist, preferably in academia, to help you write it up or submit it for one of the national conferences (ENDO, AACE, ADA). That person might then be one of the letter writers. As for the PD LOR, you need t contact your residency PD, preferably at least a couple of months ahead of application. Good luck!

Summary!
7/18: UNC
Univ Virginia
7/19: Wash U St Louis
UPMC
7/21: Uni of Nebraska
7/23: OSU

Reactions: 1 user
Summary!
Univ Virginia
UPMC

Thanks Less for the info are you a US graduate or an IMG just wanted to confirm if any IMG has started getting the interviews

Wash U 07/16
UPMC 07/18

IMG on visa

A question for elisapbennet and less - were you guys able to schedule your interviews at Wash U? I got an email that I have been invited for the interview, I sent them my preferred dates and then never heard from them again... Thanks!

Congrats to those who got interviews so far! Would anyone mind sharing their research experience on their application? I'm DO with MD residency, have 1 poster at national endo conference, a few local ACP things but no real research. I'm wondering if that's hurting me...

What do you consider "real research"? A poster at a national Endo conference sounds pretty good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats to those who got interviews so far! Would anyone mind sharing their research experience on their application? I'm DO with MD residency, have 1 poster at national endo conference, a few local ACP things but no real research. I'm wondering if that's hurting me...
not having real research won't hurt you so much that real research will help your application at most 2 yr clinical programs...if you are looking at 3 yr or research heavy programs, then it may have some pull...but there are enough clinical programs that you shouldn't have too much of an issue.

Sorry haha it was a case report, it wasn't actually research.

Thanks Rokshana, I guess I'll just need to be patient.
apply widely if you can and then you can make the decision to turn down interviews if you have too many...also remember you don't need to have a huge number of interviews to match...3- 5 and you will m/l match somewhere...

I disagree with rokshana
you should go to more IV than 3-5
I know of people for endo that went for 10 IV and did not match
Do as many as you can, might as well have all options open.
I took all 10 IV that I got
matched first choice but it was worth it. can write off expenses on taxes and you will meet other candidates and can keep in touch as you will likely meet them at national meetings.

I disagree with rokshana
you should go to more IV than 3-5
I know of people for endo that went for 10 IV and did not match
Do as many as you can, might as well have all options open.
I took all 10 IV that I got
matched first choice but it was worth it. can write off expenses on taxes and you will meet other candidates and can keep in touch as you will likely meet them at national meetings.

not saying you shouldn't go to all the interviews you get, but unlike residency, you don't need 15-20 programs on your RoL to match..most programs get ~ 200 applications each cycle...true there are less spots, but if you get an invite, you have made a pretty big cut since programs only interview 15-30 people (depending on the number of spots usually 10 for every one spot).

and seriously? 10 interviews and they did't match? they screwed up their interview...while endo is becoming more popular, it is not that competitive...you get 10 interviews, you had to look good on paper but not so much in person.

her DO status will be more of an issue than the fact she has no real research...

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone for your input. Rokshana, I agree that my DO status will be my biggest red flag. I had hoped doing a chief year would help but we will see. I do not anticipate having the problem of having too many interview offers to choose from, but it would be nice! I appreciate everyone's comments and good luck to all!

Thanks everyone for your input. Rokshana, I agree that my DO status will be my biggest red flag. I had hoped doing a chief year would help but we will see. I do not anticipate having the problem of having too many interview offers to choose from, but it would be nice! I appreciate everyone's comments and good luck to all!

the chief year will most definitely help.
Do you have an endo program at your place? you should have your best shot in house.

I do not think that DO is a major red flag. Maybe a yellow flag though
I had a similar situation with being DO in a MD residency
Minimal research
Applied to 20 places, got 10 IV.

I wanted to follow up with also another reason I think you should go on as many IV
Until you are there at a program, it can be hard to really know if you fit.
The place I ended up was very low on my radar. I went to make sure no stone uncovered. I left the IV feeling that this was the best place for me and ranked it number 1.
Many programs are similar on paper, you need to get that right feel on the IV.

best of luck to all applying

What interviews did people get so far? I'm stressing out here.. Greatly appreciated!

I do not think that DO is a major red flag. Maybe a yellow flag though
I had a similar situation with being DO in a MD residency
Minimal research
Applied to 20 places, got 10 IV.

I wanted to follow up with also another reason I think you should go on as many IV
Until you are there at a program, it can be hard to really know if you fit.
The place I ended up was very low on my radar. I went to make sure no stone uncovered. I left the IV feeling that this was the best place for me and ranked it number 1.
Many programs are similar on paper, you need to get that right feel on the IV.

best of luck to all applying

i'm not trying to be mean...but realistic...

and the NRMP data backs it up
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Results-and-Data-SMS-2015.pdf

look at pg 10...only 9.5% of filled spots went to DO applicants...of courseif there were only 24 people applying then they are wild successful, but that data isn't available since DO applicants are lumped in with all the other independent applicants...but it seems that USMD and FMGs have the better chance...the 1st because they are AMGs and the latter m/l because there is still a strong presence of FMGs in the leadership of endo programs...AFAIK, there is only one DO that is a PD in allopathic endo programs (and that program is where i trained for medicine)...

not trying to make this DO vs MD, but its important to be realistic when applying...better to have applied to a lot of places in hopes of getting a good number of interviews, but also if one doesn't get interviews in the double digits, its not the end of the world.

I think it's a good idea to apply to and attend as many interviews as you can afford, even more so if you have a yellow or red flag (DO, poor board scores, etc.). I don't know about some of you, but I only intended to apply for fellowship once and if I didn't get in, I would move on and not look back. So I wanted to give myself the best chance possible in one application cycle.

Lantus2000 is right that there's no way to tell what a program is like until you actually go there and meet people. I interviewed at a place where the fellows got less than 10 thyroid biopsies in 2 years and the program director was adamant that endocrinology isn't a procedural field so he didn't see why fellows should spend time learning how to do them. You're not going to find that on their website. I interviewed at places that were way too hardcore research oriented for me and gave the impression that they would be disappointed in any fellows who went on to clinical practice. You're not going to find that on their website. Almost every top 30-50 program will say they want to train academic endocrinologists, but some are much more accommodating for clinical careers. A good way to tell is to see what past graduates are doing now, but some programs don't post this on the website so going to the interview is the best way to find out.

Rokshana - we do not have a fellowship; we have pretty much every specialty except endo unfortunately. i would have loved to stay at my home institution!

Lantus - interesting you say that, I was talking to many of the fellows at the AACE meeting this year and they echoed that sentiment. the common theme was that they would have never ranked their program as highly as they did without interviewing. it seems like that is very good advice.

cali-It looks like people are posting their interviews as they get them. I'm nervous too but it is still very early!

Congratulations to those who started getting interviews

Let's keep this updated guys!!!

Interviews so far!!

7/16: Wash Uni
UPMC
Univ Virginia
UPMC
7/27: Mayo Clinic