Official 2015-2016 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On a different note - how do people feel about emailing programs that you haven't heard from yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Glad to have sparked a discussion. I think that the point is to be courteous of your fellow applicants. If you are not seriously considering a place then just cancel the interview and don't waste your time, the programs' time, and potentially take away the chance for someone else to interview.

I think that its important to realize that if you are a candidate that has gotten greater than ten interviews so early (before Sept 1st), then chances are that you will get into one of your top choices, and there is no need to go crazy with 15-20 interviews.

There are applicants that have not gotten one interview so far or maybe one, and are anxiously awaiting a second. Consider yourself fortunate if you have gotten 7, 8, or even more interviews. That's all you need in my opinion, especially if they were early invites.

You may disagree. You are entitled to disagree. Just sharing my thoughts and opinion.

Thanks,
Your Fellow Applicant

Ps. NYCSCOPE-- didn't you match last year?

I did.

I'm glad you started it too!! I in no way took it personally, and I appreciate your side of the coin as well :)

On a different note - how do people feel about emailing programs that you haven't heard from yet?

Wouldn't do it just yet, there are likely quite a few programs to go. This year apps seem to be coming in 2 waves as opposed to the single swell last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the two waves. I think some programs haven't even reviewed apps yet.

It is near impossible to go on more than 10+ interviews. All programs offer one or 2 days, all of which seem to be a Friday or Saturday over a 2 month span.

Anyone planning to cancel their LSU new orleans or henry ford invite ??
Im interested in both these places and wanted to give them a call to invite if any cancellations.
Thanks

Montefiore/Albert Einstein

AMGs:

1. OHSU 7/23: scopemonkey, 7/24 hellokittypoops2, justanotherGIguy, liverbomb
2. Duke 7/23 : hellokittypoops2, yinzerGI
3. U Michigan 7/23 : hellokittypoops2, Golight, yinzerGI
4. Cincinnati 7/24: iluvgi, scoopontherapeuticpoo, yinzerGI, pointador
5. U Rochester 7/24: tpjunkie, yinzerGI, go light, iluvgi, scopemonkey, pointador
6. Methodist Dallas 7/24: massattack, justanotherGIguy, Frenchie1432
7. Wake Forest 7/29: scopemonkey, Frenchie1432
8. Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville 7/29: justanotherGIguy
9. LSU-New Orleans 7/29: Frenchie1432
10. UVM 7/30: iluvgi, Golight, pointador
11. Lehigh Valley 7/31: tpjunkie, pointador
12. University of Colorado 8/3: scopemonkey, liverbomb, hellokittypoops2, pointador
13. Vanderbilt University 8/4: liver bomb, scopemonkey, yinzerGI, justanotherGIguy
14. Ochsner Foundation 8/4: Frenchie1432
15. UVA 8/5: scopemonkey, iluvgi, FranklinBluthMD, hellokittypoops2, yinzerGI
16. MGH 8/5: MDdocCapitalD
17. Boston University 8/5: FranklinBluthMD, liverbomb, pointador, Golight
18. Scott and White 8/7: Frenchie1432
19. Cedar Sinai 8/7: liverbomb
20. UT houston 8/10: mafdr
21: UPMC 8/10: yinzerGI, hellokittypoops2, Pointador, FranklinBluthMD, iluvgi
22. VCU 8/10: yinzerGI
23. Brown 8/11: Pointador, iluvgi, liverbomb
24. UCLA 8/11: poopscoop, hiphopanonymous1
25 NYU 8/13: iluvgi
26. Dartmouth 8/13: iluvgi
27. USC 8/17: liverbomb, hiphopanonymous1
28. Baylor 8/18: liverbomb, yochikap
29. Lahey Clinic 8/17: iluvGI, pointador
30. Emory 8/17: yochikap
31. Indiana University 8/18: BeZoAr17, yinzerGI
32. University of Chicago 8/19: FranklinBluthMD, jsr52?, hiphopanonymous1
33. Loyola 8/17: hellokittypoops2, pointador
34. Mayo, Rochester 8/19: hellokittypoops2, yinzerGI
35. UMiami: iluvgi
36. Columbia: yochikap
37. University of Wisconsin: ERCP2015
38. UTSW: ERCP 2015
39. University of Utah: ERCP 2015
40. UC Davis: ERCP 2015
41. Cleveland clinic: yinzerGI
42. Brigham: anon
43. Yale: yinzerGI
44. Albany 8/20: iluvgi
45. U Minnesota 8/20: hellokittypoops2
46. Ohio State 8/21: pointador, iluvgi, liverbomb
47. UMaryland: pointador
48. UMass 8/21: iluvgi, pointador
49. UCSF 8/21: hiphopanonymous1
50. Stanford : ERCP2015
51. UPenn: poopscoop
52. NY Med 8/24: iluvgi, liverbomb
53. UAB: Frenchie1432
54. Georgetown 8/25: iluvgi, pointador, liverbomb
55. U Nevada 8/24: pointador
56. U New Mexico: pointador
57. UConn 8/21: pointador
58. UCI 8/28: liverbomb, hiphopanonymous1
59. UIC 8/28: liverbomb, hiphopanonymous1, pointador
60. UCSD 8/27: hiphopanonymous1
61. Banner Good Samaritan 8/31: pointador
62. Vidant (ECU) 8/31: pointador
63. Rush 9/1: hiphopanonymous1
64. Tulane: iluvgi
65: 9/9 Monte: iluvgi

IMGs without visa restrictions (US citizens from non-US schools, green card holders)
1. U of Missouri Columbia 7/27: fascinatedwithGI
2. Yale 8/5: dambakula
3. UTSW 8/5: dambakula
4. UPMC 8/5: dambakula
5. Cedars-sinai 8/6: songgavin
6. Columbia: songgavin
7. Cleveland clinic: songgavin, dambakula
8. UNC: 8/12: Astronomer
9. Emory 8/13: Astronomer
10. Rochester 7/31: Astronomer
11. Med Coll of Wisc 8/17: Mallory-Weiss
12. Univ of Maryland 08/18: dambakula
13. VTC 08/11 dambakula, songgavin, liverlove
14. UIC 08/18 dambakula
15. UCSF, fresno 8/14: liverlove
16. U Maryland 8/19: Astronomer
17. Univ of Nevada 8/24: songgavin
18. Duke 8/28: dambakula
19. Iowa 8/28: liverlove, songgavin
20: SUNY Upstate 8/28: liverlove
21: U Florida, Gainsville 9/1: liverlove

Few more updates to add to the mix (from over the last week or so):
invites- Drexel, lankeneau, WVU, PSU, UF, howard
rejects- geisinger (9/9), Carolinas, Alleghany, UC northshore, rush (x2!), aurora

Somebody asked about Nevada--I got kind of a vague email leading me to believe they aren't in the match this season

Still wondering if anybody has heard from: Tufts, Cooper, NS-LIJ, Temple, Jeff, AE (philly), Downstate

Last edited:
Its monday again. I'm curious to how many programs are left who haven't sent out invites?

Its monday again. I'm curious to how many programs are left who haven't sent out invites?

It's really tough to say--I've applied to around 100 programs and between places I've personally heard from (IV/rej) and places I applied to that others have heard from (per sdn), there are still 30-40 programs unaccounted for on my list. But that being said, I wonder how representative the few people posting on this board are of the greater applicant pool in terms of reported program contact. My suspicion is the IV season is mostly done, although I wouldn't be surprised if a small handful of programs are still giving out IVs over the next week...

Disagree, pointador. Quite a few programs have not even sent any interviews out yet, and those that have sent some are now on wave two. I expect that over the next 1-2 weeks we will hear from many places.

I tried calling few programs to know their invite status and almost all have given out all invites. I personally thought it's coming in 2 waves, but apparently not. And looking at last few years, most programs will not send rejections. I think we might get few more in case there are cancellations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you mind sharing which programs you called that told you this? Did any state they still had some to send out?

Would you mind sharing which programs you called that told you this? Did any state they still had some to send out?

Called programs in texas, florida and new york mostly. Only ones who haven't sent out invites that i called were U kentucky and Upenn.

Hi! Has anyone heard from Univ of Louisville, Tufts, NS-LIJ, Mount Sinai at Beth Isreael, and Downstate?!

Hi! Has anyone heard from Univ of Louisville, Tufts, NS-LIJ, Mount Sinai at Beth Isreael, and Downstate?!

I think LIJ and BI have sent out invites. There are still some NY programs that haven't yet though.

Has anyone heard from GW or NJ programs (outside of cooper?)

Anyone hear from Tufts, UMass, or UConn yet?

I didn't think Tufts had sent out many invites at all yet, at least per our discussions on this board- maybe one invite. Perhaps the same with UMass and UConn...?

I think some programs must still be taking their time to review everyone's application thoroughly before sending out invites. There are probably some applications that are given interviews right away and then the bulk of other applications are mulled over for several weeks before the rest of the invites are sent. This is my theory at least.

Definitely some of the NY programs have been later I have noticed. That has been a pretty consistent trend.

BI in Boston sent out invites and rejections already, I believe. Not sure about NSLIJ- seems to be on the later side with their invites as well, being a NY program.

Anyone hear from Tufts, UMass, or UConn yet?

I didn't think Tufts had sent out many invites at all yet, at least per our discussions on this board- maybe one invite. Perhaps the same with UMass and UConn...?

I think some programs must still be taking their time to review everyone's application thoroughly before sending out invites. There are probably some applications that are given interviews right away and then the bulk of other applications are mulled over for several weeks before the rest of the invites are sent. This is my theory at least.

Definitely some of the NY programs have been later I have noticed. That has been a pretty consistent trend.

BI in Boston sent out invites and rejections already, I believe. Not sure about NSLIJ- seems to be on the later side with their invites as well, being a NY program.

Several have heard from UConn/umass around 2-3 weeks ago. Am also still waiting on Tufts, haven't heard of any IVs released by them yet. I've heard third-hand that NSLIJ has given out some IVs.

Has anyone heard from GW or NJ programs (outside of cooper?)

GW and Robert Wood Johnson sent out invites a few weeks back. Not sure if they were just the first wave of interview invites and there are more to come.

Any IMG's without interviews yet? Back up options?

Reactions: 1 user
Guys, just FYI: check your mailboxes!! I recieved a GI interview by LETTER! It was dated in early September and I just happen to check my mailbox.

Interviews are still coming in! I have gotten a few in the last 2-3weeks. Keep hope alive!

Reactions: 1 user
Well, a new week is coming up and I hope to get some more interviews this week as the interviews are going on!!! I hope that all of us will keep this thread alive......seems like people stopped posting.

Good luck everyone!!!

Has anyone heard from Downstate? Looks like this it it for me. Don't expect anymore invites. I was hoping for a few more to come!!

Hoping for a few more invites as well. I don't think it's completely done yet. I hope that other applicants are perhaps cancelling interviews that they are less interested in at this point and that will open up some interview spots for those still waiting.

On a different note, anyone have suggestions for interviews? Any specific questions asked?

Come on guys!!! Is this thread already dead?!? Anyone get any invites this week?! Silence for me. Hoping still for a few invites, but I think it's over for me. Are there still programs that have not handed out invites?! Has anyone recieved an invite from Downstate?!

And let's discuss interview questions too... Anyone have insight into the types of things discussed or asked in fellowship interviews? I would imagine why you chose the field, what makes you a good candidate, strengths/weaknesses, discussing any research you have done, your ambitions for the future... If you have any specific interests within GI, etc.

Thoughts??

Come on guys!!! Is this thread already dead?!? Anyone get any invites this week?! Silence for me. Hoping still for a few invites, but I think it's over for me. Are there still programs that have not handed out invites?! Has anyone recieved an invite from Downstate?!

A friend of mine got one from Downstate a few weeks ago.

I would really appreciate your 2 cents on which GI program is better:
Univ Arkansas vs Univ Iowa vs Univ Nebraska.
Thanks.

Did anyone go university of Maryland interview?

Did anyone go TO* university of Maryland interview?

How about MUSC? Anyone know if there are any interview dates remaining for that program? I have not heard anything from them.

Anyone with a recent interview invite?! Still have 40+ programs which I haven't heard from. Assuming silent rejection or maybe wait list. 5 weeks left until ROL :nailbiting: