Official 2015-2016 ID Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm in the process of applying for ID this cycle, coming from a 1.5/2nd tier academic program in the Midwest. I know the running gag that "if you have a pulse, then you have an ID fellowship" -- but I was hoping to get a more nuanced perspective as I am strongly looking at top tier programs across the nation.

The biggest issue I have with my application is the lack of any publications (articles or abstracts). While I do have a few things going for me (activity within high value care initiatives, interesting research projects albeit without any tangible results, chief year, etc) I just need a dose realism if I am out of my element here.

So I'm in the process of applying for ID this cycle, coming from a 1.5/2nd tier academic program in the Midwest. I know the running gag that "if you have a pulse, then you have an ID fellowship" -- but I was hoping to get a more nuanced perspective as I am strongly looking at top tier programs across the nation.

The biggest issue I have with my application is the lack of any publications (articles or abstracts). While I do have a few things going for me (activity within high value care initiatives, interesting research projects albeit without any tangible results, chief year, etc) I just need a dose realism if I am out of my element here.

Likely will need some form of research, even case reports at the top 5-10 places.

I think that, just like IM, any specialty is competitive at the top. That being said, you're a chief coming from a respectable program with research experience (albeit no pubs). There's a place to log research where the abstract is submitted in the publications section, and at the very least you can always enter this in the experiences section.

I think that it's always worth a shot applying to the top tier programs if that's something you're interested in (i.e. do you want a career in research?), because the worst that can happen is just not getting an interview. I know I'm starting to narrow my list and I'm really looking forward to starting the interview process! Good luck to everyone who's applying this year!

Got an interview from Tulane today! First one! Hopefully more to come. Good luck to all of you!!

Got an invite from Vanderbilt today.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the average amount of places you guys applied to?

Anyone got an interview at Baylor or did they just send an automated email ?

I got an automated email from Baylor today that they received my application.

Reactions: 1 user
anything new today ?

Last edited:
so far 2 IV out of 25 applied
starting Aug 31
Any idea what they are going to ask in IV

Houston or Dallas? And CONGRATS !!

"Retracting interview with Loyola ID Fellow Program due to computer error - with deep regret‏

Due to an unfortunate computer glitch, invitations were sent out for Loyola University Medical Center Infectious Diseases program. We deeply apologize for this error and will let you know if you are selected for an interview. Again, please accept my sincere apologies."

Deeply disappointed. Has this happened to anybody else?

Also, I'm wondering if we should expect any more interview calls or if most of the programs have already sent out all the invitations. I haven't heard anything from the programs in New York yet.

Also, I'm wondering if we should expect any more interview calls or if most of the programs have already sent out all the invitations. I haven't heard anything from the programs in New York yet.

My understanding is that most programs don't start sending invites out until at or near Aug 1st. My own home program hasn't started sending them out yet.

I'm wondering if we should expect any more interview calls or if most of the programs have already sent out all the invitations. I haven't heard anything from the programs in New York yet.

Most of the programs haven't sent any interviews yet !

GWU today

I have a question. I am from the East Coast and I have schedule conflicts. Which two interviews shouldn't I miss? Tulane, UT Houston or Baylor? Thanks

Probably not the best to ask; but I'd say Baylor is at the top of those three listed.

Temple and UPMC today

any thoughts about gainesville vs morsani tampa?

so how's today looking for everyone ? :)

Haven't heard anything in about 4 days now...makes me a little nervous. I've gotten 3 interviews out of 10 places applied, but none of the other 7 programs I've applied to have been mentioned here, either, so not sure they are sending out many invitations just yet.

I just want to know nooooow! :boom:

Wake Forest today
U of Illinois Chicago today

U of Illinois Chicago today too

Uic, usf and university of florida

anything for today ? seems like a quiet morning