~*~*~*~*Official 2015-2016 Pre-DO Letters of Recommendation Thread*~*~*~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for 2016 applicants (those who will be entering medical school in 2016) to ask questions about letters of recommendation.

Any separate threads in Pre-Osteo dealing with this topic will be merged into this thread.

Before asking a question, PLEASE READ THE FAQ, both here in this thread AND on the AACOMAS Website! It is quite possible that your question will have already been answered. If you think that you have a different take on a question in the FAQ, acknowledge this in your question; everyone in pre-osteo will be much more likely to help you out if they think you've done due diligence.

Also, each thread has a search function. Please use it before asking your question by clicking the "Search this Thread" button near the top of the page.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Osteopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What kinds of letters do I need to apply to osteopathic medical school?
For most schools, you need a MINIMUM of two letters from science professors, and 1 letter from a physician (osteopathic physician preferred). A letter from a PI can be used as a science LOR should you have received credit from the institution, however results may vary from each specific school. Other letters that may be helpful: a letter from an employer who knows your skills well a letter from a volunteer coordinator who knows your skills well. The key is that the letters be exceptional, describing intrinsic and extrinsic qualities that you have demonstrated to the letter writer. A detailed letter that can give clear examples of why you are an excellent candidate for medical school will generally trump a tepid letter from a famous person. Every school is different. Please check each school's individual letter requirements by visiting their website. A copy of an XLS spreadsheet of the LOR requirements of each osteopathic medical school is attached below. The accuracy of this spreadsheet isrealtive (AACOMAS CIB information utilized) so be sure to check individual school websites! Keep in mind that a committee letter can override academic (science faculty) letters but it does NOT override the physician letter.
1a. But doesn't every school have different letter requirements?
Yes, they do. AACOMAS has a link to every school; use it and figure out what you need for the schools you're applying to. You can get a rough idea from the attached XLS spreadsheet but check school websites to confirm.
1b. But do I really really have to get X type of letter? (2 science, a letter from a physician)
The short answer: yes. The long answer: Maybe...it depends on the school. No one on SDN can answer this for you. But the general rule in medical school admissions is do what you are told. Get the two science letters. If you can't...call the schools you're applying to and see if they will make an exception. But be aware that the answer may be no.

2. I am a non-traditional student and have been out of school for awhile. Can I get around the letter requirements?
The simple answer is probably no. If you are a non-traditional student, this doesn't mean that you have an easier time getting into medical school; the same hoops still need to be jumped through. Being out of school for awhile is likely a problem in itself; schools want to see recent evidence that you can handle the coursework necessary to get through medical school. Take some classes, form relationships, and get the letters you need to. If you must, you can contact each school individually to see if they would be ok with you submitting alternate letters, but be aware that the answer may be "no".

3. My school has a medical school admissions committee, and they produce a committee letter. But the letter won't be released until really LATE! (August, September, October). Can I just skip the committee and collect my own letters?
The general wisdom on this topic is that if your school has a committee, USE IT! If you don't, you will be asked why and will need a very good reason. You are circumventing the committee at your own risk.

4. How/when can I submit letters of req to AACOMAS?
(coming soon...)

5. Do I have to know which letters are going to which school when I first submit my AACOMAS application?
(coming soon...)

6. How many schools use the AACOMAS Letter service?
(coming soon...)

7. Is it in my best interest to have my letter writers write different letters for each school?
Probably not. Unless you are attending a college directly affiliated with an osteopathic medical school

8. What are letter services such as Interfolio, and why do people use them?
Interfolio and other companies provide secure online letter holding services. You can have your letters uploaded to these services at any time so that you're not scrambling at the last minute (or during the summer!) to get letters into your application. This can be especially beneficial when you are 9 months or so out from your planned application cycle, but know the professor you have NOW will write you a great letter. You can have them write the letter, upload it to a letter service, and then many months later have the letter sent to specific osteopathic medical schools. All your letter writer needs to do is upload the letter (or mail it in) on letterhead and with a signature. These sites are secure and they do not allow you to read the letter beforehand.
8b. Which one should I use?
Because AACOMAS has never had an internal letter service such as the AMCAS (Allopathic schools), Interfolio has been the primary resource. IMO, Interfolio is user friendly and letter writer friendly and can be utilized throughout the entire cycle with no hassle. With the new AACOMAS letter service in play, it will be up to the applicant to decide which route to go.

9. What else about letters do I need to know?
Your letter must be SIGNED, and should be on OFFICIAL LETTERHEAD whenever possible. This is something that holds people up every year. Some schools will even hold up your application because of this.

10. How should I ask someone for a letter of req?
On this one, I will give my own experience. For each letter writer, I prepared a packet. In the packet I had:
A list of all of my science grades (or non-science grades for a non-science prof)
A copy of my resume
A rough draft of my personal statement
A guide to writing medical school letters (which can be found by googling), a reminder that the letter needed to be signed and on letterhead.

Before handing them this (because who wants all that before they even say yes!) I asked them point blank if they "would feel comfortable writing me a strong letter of recommendation for medical school". Always do this in person!!! If they hesitate...walk away. Seriously. You don't want this person writing your letter.

When they enthusiastically said yes, I pulled the packet out of my backpack and gave it to them.

Because I used Interfolio, I told them that they would get an email from Interfolio that evening with instructions on how to upload the letter. Give them a FIRM deadline (2-4 weeks seems to work best) for when you need the letter. Don't ask at the last minute. Don't ask when you think a billion other people will be asking. Do offer to provide them with any other supplementary information they would like. And do give them a thank-you note (and maybe a Starbucks card) when they submit the letter.

11. ZZZOMG! My letter writer has not written my letter!!! It has been minutes/hours/days/weeks/months and I'm freaking out!! What do I do!?
First, stop by or email and gently remind them that you need the letter by X date. If this doesn't work, I have given them a premature Thank-You note with a small token, and this seems to light a fire. I recommended this method to someone on SDN last year and it apparently worked like a charm.

One thing the seemed to help for me was to meet the professor again in person and talk with them and ask them about the letter. It worked very well for me.

If this isn't working....you do the same thing you do whenever something goes awry - find a plan B. Ask someone else...two other people even, just in case this person does not come through. You can't have too many letters. But you can have too few.

12. Do I have to waive my right to see the letters?
No. But if you don't schools might not see them as letters that carry much weight. Waive your right (this will be an option you can select through the letter service or through Interfolio). If you know the person well enough, you should have a pretty good idea of what they are going to write.

Please send me a PM if you know of additional questions suitable for the FAQ.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Osteopathic School LOR List.xlsx
    12.4 KB · Views: 727
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
I have two graduate students I have done research for who are in the same lab and have the same PI writing me two different letters of recommendation. My question is they are both having the PI co-sign the letter so will it look strange to have 2 different letters from the same PI? Should I ask them to combine their letters or will the two separate letters be fine? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I have two graduate students I have done research for who are in the same lab and have the same PI writing me two different letters of recommendation. My question is they are both having the PI co-sign the letter so will it look strange to have 2 different letters from the same PI? Should I ask them to combine their letters or will the two separate letters be fine? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I would combine the letters into a single letter separated by each graduate student and have the PI sign it! Not a dumb question!

Members don't see this ad :)
  • Submit letters of recommendation through AACOMAS.
    In addition to other services (Interfolio, VirtualEvals, mail, etc.) applicants will now have the option to submit their letters of recommendation through AACOMAS. Only letters submitted through AACOMAS will be bundled with your other application materials. Letters submitted through other means must be sent directly to the schools you are applying to.

^I read that in AACOMAS' instructions... I was wondering how exactly it works if you use their service. Do schools receive LOR with your app, or do you go in later and forward them separately if interested schools send a secondary? Little confused about if they need to be ready along with your app if using AACOMAS' service...

I plan on using Interfolio so that my professors can just send their letter to one service (so they don't have to deal with 2) and I can then use interfolio to send to AMCAS/AACOMAS. In the AACOMAS application, it says

"Once you have saved an electronic evaluation, an email request will automatically be sent to the evaluator on your behalf. Please advise your evaluator to look for this email in their inbox, as well as their spam or junk-mail folder, as emails do occasionally get filtered out."

If i am using interfolio, should i click on "I am not adding any evaluations" since i do not want to use the AACOMAS letter service

edit: just read this
"
Q: Can I send letters of reference which are on file at Interfolio or a career center to AACOMAS?
A: NO. All letters of reference must be completed via the AACOMAS reference website by the evaluator themselves. If you have letters stored at Interfolio, VirtualEval, or a career center, you may have these letters sent directly to your DO programs."

Do schools care if you use the AACOMAS service? I know some schools have certain requirements such as ONLY 2 science profs and 1 DO. In this case, wouldn't it make sense to forgo the AACOMAS service and use interfolio to submit LoR's?

Last edited:
I would like to reference Oh_Gee's question about using Interfolio. Do I click "I am not adding any evaluations" if I am sending them directly to the schools through Interfolio? Or do I generate a request anyways and just warn my evaluators that it is coming but they don't need to do anything?

I plan on using Interfolio so that my professors can just send their letter to one service (so they don't have to deal with 2) and I can then use interfolio to send to AMCAS/AACOMAS. In the AACOMAS application, it says

"Once you have saved an electronic evaluation, an email request will automatically be sent to the evaluator on your behalf. Please advise your evaluator to look for this email in their inbox, as well as their spam or junk-mail folder, as emails do occasionally get filtered out."

If i am using interfolio, should i click on "I am not adding any evaluations" since i do not want to use the AACOMAS letter service

edit: just read this
"
Q: Can I send letters of reference which are on file at Interfolio or a career center to AACOMAS?
A: NO. All letters of reference must be completed via the AACOMAS reference website by the evaluator themselves. If you have letters stored at Interfolio, VirtualEval, or a career center, you may have these letters sent directly to your DO programs."

Do schools care if you use the AACOMAS service? I know some schools have certain requirements such as ONLY 2 science profs and 1 DO. In this case, wouldn't it make sense to forgo the AACOMAS service and use interfolio to submit LoR's?
I would like to reference Oh_Gee's question about using Interfolio. Do I click "I am not adding any evaluations" if I am sending them directly to the schools through Interfolio? Or do I generate a request anyways and just warn my evaluators that it is coming but they don't need to do anything?
lol please answer our questions someone

Can the DO letter be included within the committee letter?

Does Environmental Sciences (course code EVS) count as a science LOR? I know it's classified as "other science" in AACOMAS so I was just looking for confirmation.

My hospital volunteer president wrote me a letter of recommendation and gave it to me in a letter with a sealed envelope. Do I just send this to AACOMAS headquarter with a post-it note saying that this is my LOR?

Would a statistics course qualify as a science class?

I gave my pre med committee a letter from a Molecular Bio professor/research mentor, a Statistics professor, a English professor (non science) to include in the committee letter. Should I have a hard science course included? (Such as pharmacology or Genetics)

Wait, so if I plan on applying 2016 May or June and plan on graduating from college this June, should I get my LOR right now and save it on interfolio? Can I save it on AACOMAS right now and use it later?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would a statistics course qualify as a science class?

I gave my pre med committee a letter from a Molecular Bio professor/research mentor, a Statistics professor, a English professor (non science) to include in the committee letter. Should I have a hard science course included? (Such as pharmacology or Genetics)
I dont think stats is classified as a science course

would getting a DO letter from a doc who doesn't know me well (will write one based on CV/Personal statement) better than not getting one from him? I shadowed him for a day for 3 hours.

would getting a DO letter from a doc who doesn't know me well (will write one based on CV/Personal statement) better than not getting one from him? I shadowed him for a day for 3 hours.
almost all the DO schools require one, so you should ask if it's the only option

Wait, so if I plan on applying 2016 May or June and plan on graduating from college this June, should I get my LOR right now and save it on interfolio? Can I save it on AACOMAS right now and use it later?
Definitely ask now. Ask him/her if you guys could discuss the letter after you are given your final grade. It's best to act now while they still remember you, unless you are good friends with him/her

Definitely ask now. Ask him/her if you guys could discuss the letter after you are given your final grade. It's best to act now while they still remember you, unless you are good friends with him/her

the professor said he would write one for me. But, i'm not applying for another year. Should I just get it now and save it in interfolio?

lol please answer our questions someone

Just select that you are not adding evaluations. The schools will know that you will be sending the LOR's through a service then. The letters are sent with the secondary app.

Just select that you are not adding evaluations. The schools will know that you will be sending the LOR's through a service then. The letters are sent with the secondary app.
can we add letters to AACOMAS after submission
just in case they fix the problem that people are having with sending to AACOMAS from interfolio

can we add letters to AACOMAS after submission
just in case they fix the problem that people are having with sending to AACOMAS from interfolio

I am not sure about that since the evaluations portion of AACOMAS is new for this year. I personally have all of my letters in Interfolio and I know that the schools accept letters sent through this service so I am just going to send them out through Interfolio. That way I avoid all of the hassle the new AACOMAS evaluations system has. The main reason I see people having an overwhelming desire to add to AACOMAS from Interfolio is to save money. I am willing to pay the extra money to have the proven Interfolio system send my letters instead of dealing with trying to have them transferred.

None of the DO schools I am applying to require a letter from a DO specifically but obviously they recommend it. As someone with above average stats and an MD letter could my lack of DO letter be seen as a deal breaker on acceptance? I've only ever met one DO and that was last week and, while we did have a nice conversation, going about getting a DO letter at this stage in the game would be tricky. Advice? Comments? :confused:

None of the DO schools I am applying to require a letter from a DO specifically but obviously they recommend it. As someone with above average stats and an MD letter could my lack of DO letter be seen as a deal breaker on acceptance? I've only ever met one DO and that was last week and, while we did have a nice conversation, going about getting a DO letter at this stage in the game would be tricky. Advice? Comments? :confused:
Ask the DO if you can shadow and ask if they would be willing to write a letter at the a month of shadowing (2-4 hours/ a week). You should get it by July then

Do you guys know how AACOMAS handles the letters that are received after my application had been verified? Will the letters be sent directly to the schools I'm applying to?

Do you guys know how AACOMAS handles the letters that are received after my application had been verified? Will the letters be sent directly to the schools I'm applying to?
They will be handled just like before you got verified, they will send you an email saying that they received it. All of the letter will be sent to schools you are applying.

They will be handled just like before you got verified, they will send you an email saying that they received it. All of the letter will be sent to schools you are applying.
Thank you!! That's great to know. Do you know if they will email you when they send the letters to schools? Or do you have to check with each school individually?

Does anyone know if AACOMAS will keep my letters if I don't get in this year and re-apply next year? If not, is there a way I can save the letters from AACOMAS to a separate system such as Interfolio?

Please forgive me if this has already been answered on here or somewhere else but I am still a little confused. I used Interfolio to gather my 5 letters and then successfully had them sent to AACOMAS where they have been verified. I know that AACOMAS automatically sends out all the letters that you upload (you can't pick and choose which letters go where). With that said, does AACOMAS send the letters to ALL the schools that you apply to or are there certain schools that require you to send LOR not through AACOMAS? I'm pretty much asking if there's still something I need to do regarding LOR if AACOMAS has all of mine and they are verified. Thanks.

Please forgive me if this has already been answered on here or somewhere else but I am still a little confused. I used Interfolio to gather my 5 letters and then successfully had them sent to AACOMAS where they have been verified. I know that AACOMAS automatically sends out all the letters that you upload (you can't pick and choose which letters go where). With that said, does AACOMAS send the letters to ALL the schools that you apply to or are there certain schools that require you to send LOR not through AACOMAS? I'm pretty much asking if there's still something I need to do regarding LOR if AACOMAS has all of mine and they are verified. Thanks.
Once the letters are verified they are automatically sent to all the schools you're applying to.

Do we send our letters from Interfolio once the DO school has sent us an email saying that our application has been received? Or do we wait until the Secondary application to get sent to us?

Thanks

Reactions: 1 users
Do we send our letters from Interfolio once the DO school has sent us an email saying that our application has been received? Or do we wait until the Secondary application to get sent to us?

Thanks

bump. would like to know the answer as well

My letter author says that when she logs into her evaluator profile on AACOMAS I'm not on the list of students requesting a letter, but other people she is writing a LOR for are there. Has this happened to anyone else and how was it fixed? She has emailed AACOMAS about this issue but who knows how long they could take to resolve it and my MSUCOM deadline is in 25 days

Okay so I am trying to get everything sorted out.
1. Can you add letters to your application after you have initially submitted it?
2. Can you use inter folio to upload the letters directly to the application (and can you do that after you have initially submitted it) then have those sent to schools through the application?

deleted

Last edited:
Do the letter writers attach the AACOMAS ID to LOR or do we? And where should it be attached? Thanks for any help!

yes, if you meant you submitted the primary only. submitting more lors after you submit secondary will need more follow up because some secondaries need you to specify details of required lors.

yes, the letters that go from interfolio to aacomas will then automatically go to ALL schools. there is no picking lors if you do it this way. to pick and choose your lors that you don't want to go to all schools, you have to send the ones you choose from interfolio and send them directly to the school. this is a bigger headache.

you can submit the letters as early or late as possible. you will simply be delayed to complete after you submit secondaries if you submit REQUIRED lors later.
yes, if you meant you submitted the primary only. submitting more lors after you submit secondary will need more follow up because some secondaries need you to specify details of required lors.

yes, the letters that go from interfolio to aacomas will then automatically go to ALL schools. there is no picking lors if you do it this way. to pick and choose your lors that you don't want to go to all schools, you have to send the ones you choose from interfolio and send them directly to the school. this is a bigger headache.

you can submit the letters as early or late as possible. you will simply be delayed to complete after you submit secondaries if you submit REQUIRED lors later.

Thank you! Yes I plan on submitting my primary application shortly and I am still waiting on a letter from a teacher...
And I was just looking at the FAQ again, and just wanted to double check again, if you use the AACOMAS evaluation service, regardless of if you upload them yourself or use a service like interfolio, they send all the letters to all the schools you apply to? And are schools okay with this or do they prefer that you send them individually so you don't send them any extra ones?

a

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I will be applying next May to many DO schools as a Canadian applicant. I'm a little confused as what I should do as Im trying to secure LOR's as early as possible. Should I go ahead and ask the people writing the letters to upload them to Interfolio? Then Interfolio sends them to all the schools? or is there some sort of new system aacomas provides which is easier? I do not care about the money if it saves me the headache later on.

I will be applying next May to many DO schools as a Canadian applicant. I'm a little confused as what I should do as Im trying to secure LOR's as early as possible. Should I go ahead and ask the people writing the letters to upload them to Interfolio? Then Interfolio sends them to all the schools? or is there some sort of new system aacomas provides which is easier? I do not care about the money if it saves me the headache later on.

do interfolio, always. no question.

Does anyone know which schools make exceptions for non-trad applicants without a committee/2 sci letters? I called two schools (NYIT and PCOM) and they don't make exceptions. Hoping to see if anyone else has had any luck using employer letters.

is interfolio working for AACOM because last yr i heard it had issues :(

Who should the recommender address the letter to? "To whom it may concern" ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

is interfolio working for AACOM because last yr i heard it had issues :(

I was wondering about using interfolio for both AACOMAS and AMCAS. Would it work to have all the letters uploaded to interfolio then send them to both application portals?

Alright so I'm a little confused to how this works. I sent 4 LOR's to AACOMAS (2 science, 1 non science, 1 DO). Certain schools for example only want two science letters. How do I only send them my two science letters? Is this even possible? or Do they receive all my letters?

Thanks so much in advance, I read previous posts but couldn't find a definite answer.

Keep in mind that a committee letter can override academic (science faculty) letters but it does NOT override the physician letter.

Hi, someone please help me explain what this mean. Does it mean that if I have the physician who I shadowed send his LOR to my school's committee chair, that letter will be overridden? Should I then email the physician to send it to AACOMAS instead? (I think he has already sent it to the chair)

Thank you!!!

Necro-bump. Is it possible to send a letter to only certain schools through AACOMAS, or will all letters have to be sent to every school you apply to?

I think all letters are sent to all schools?