Official 2015-2016 Rheumatology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here it is folks , you can now go get your token and start working on your application

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question (asked previously but no replies), what should I be looking for in a good rheum program? Besides fit what are red flags doing interviews?

Any word on better than average programs and what's expected?

Quick question (asked previously but no replies), what should I be looking for in a good rheum program? Besides fit what are red flags doing interviews?

Any word on better than average programs and what's expected?

First - I think you should look for a program that you would be happy at regionally, distance to family, the things you enjoy.

Then evaluating the program:
current fellow make up
1 fellow/yr program - you okay with that?
workload
faculty (do they come and go? do they mentor? do they teach?)
education experience
research or not
didactics
hospitals/clinics - all in one place or traveling to multiple sites
specialty clinics (lupus, myositis, scleroderma, vasculitis etc)
investigate all the information available online to evaluate the structure of the program
email the program contact and ask to attend a lecture, grand round with the program

All in all, there are many good programs out there. Many of which I am sure you will like. You must put it all together and weigh it, just like the other important decisions of life.

That was an awesome reply thank you. For you guys know anything about the combined allergy rheum programs? Which places have them and how to apply?

Hi all,
I'm an AMG applying to NY, MA, Washington DC, CA, CO, TX, OR. Is there any list of 1 fellow programs? I would like to avoid that if possible. I spoke to a PD of a top 10 Rheum program and they said 1 fellow programs mean that you will have the consult pager for >10months out of the year.

Hi all,
I'm an AMG applying to NY, MA, Washington DC, CA, CO, TX, OR. Is there any list of 1 fellow programs? I would like to avoid that if possible. I spoke to a PD of a top 10 Rheum program and they said 1 fellow programs mean that you will have the consult pager for >10months out of the year.
So you're looking at what, like 20 or 30 pages a year then?

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all,
Check FREIDA for a rough idea of the size of programs. You'll need to add the ones you're interested in to the "comparison" tool and then you'll be able to easily see it. Note, that FREIDA is frequently a year or five out of date.

The other resource you can use is http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Specialty-Match-Program-Results-2011-2015.pdf which lists how many fellows every program has taken in the match every year of the last five. Just be warned, that programs change size, and that one doesn't show if the programs are taking any fellows outside of the match as well. There is no all-in policy for fellowship.

Hi, I am a newbie applying for fellowship this year. Anyone is aware if programs care about step scores and take into account in the screening process?
Thanks for your advice and input.

Last edited:
How competitive is California (Stanford, UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, UCDavis etc) if you are an out of state AMG with middling STEP 1/2 scores and 5 publications (only 1 in rheumatology)? I was hoping to match to a city where I can settle down and as such would like a cultural hub of some sort?

How competitive is California (Stanford, UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, UCDavis etc) if you are an out of state AMG with middling STEP 1/2 scores and 5 publications (only 1 in rheumatology)? I was hoping to match to a city where I can settle down and as such would like a cultural hub of some sort?
Since California will be out of fresh water and on fire 9 months of the year by about the time you finish fellowship, consider somewhere else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any way I can find out which rheum programs match more IMGs? I think that those programs will be less competitive.

When do you think programs start downloading applications? I am getting nervous about LORs getting in on time by faculty and not having complete application because of that.. Also is it 3 LORs that make your application complete?

Any idea how to upload letters of recommendation on your own? I have a couple of letters from last year and there is no way the writers will be able to upload them. One of them is out of town and I can't contact him anymore.

So it looks like most programs require 3.

do you guys think it makes much of a difference if the letters slowly roll in a week after you submit your application? Mine are running late as well.

Any idea how to upload letters of recommendation on your own? I have a couple of letters from last year and there is no way the writers will be able to upload them. One of them is out of town and I can't contact him anymore.
Don't think ERAS will let you upload letters on faculty's behalf but you should contact them and find out exactly.

do you guys think it makes much of a difference if the letters slowly roll in a week after you submit your application? Mine are running late as well.
Quoting from other blogs I've read: that it is alright because if the programs like your application, they will contact you about the missing letters.

Does eras show if your application has been downloaded yet?

Nothing yet. Still waiting on a couple rec letters though.

This might be a little late but Rheumatology IS NOT participating in NRMP matching this year? Many fellowship website cite a participation but I assume this is outdated as registration through NRMP doesn't list Rheumatology.

I know about invites from Drexel and UMichigan

No interview yet. Got refuse letter from Indiana University School of Medicine.

+ Interview request! My first. Came through email via ERAS.

Emory

I think we should start making the list:

Emory - 7/22
Dartmouth - 7/22

Reactions: 1 user
About how many programs is everyone applying to? How competitive do you think rheum will be this year compared to last year's NRMP data?

I applied to almost 50 programs. Probably overkill, but I've always overapplied at each stage of training in the past and not regretted it.

Hello everyone..
Just joined the blog.,
I am an img applied to 36 programs
In the track documents it just says available not downloaded..
For the people who received interviews do the track documents on eras say available or downloaded?

Hello everyone..
Just joined the blog.,
I am an img applied to 36 programs
In the track documents it just says available not downloaded..
For the people who received interviews do the track documents on eras say available or downloaded?

All showing available, even the programs I got interview and refuse letter. ERAS has cancled the function to track documents for download this year.

Think we should all get a thread going of applications:

Emory- Applied, invited

UVA- Applied, pending reply
Georgetown- Applied, pending reply
George Washington- Applied, pending reply
UNC- Applied, pending reply
Duke- Applied, pending reply
VCU- Applied, pending reply
Temple- Applied, pending reply
TJU- Applied, pending reply

I got refuse letter from U of Washington and U of Indiana. Loma Linda University sent out e-mail saying they are reviewing the applications. My friend got iv from Beth Isreal

Interview:
Emory - 7/22
Dartmouth - 7/22
Drexel - 7/21
Beth Isreal - 7/23

Are there people who have not received accept, acknowledgement or refuse letter?
I haven't seen any activity at all., it's been a week since I have applied ..

Interview:
Emory - 7/22
Dartmouth - 7/22
Drexel - 7/21
Beth Isreal - 7/23
Rush - 7/27

Interview:
Emory - 7/22
Dartmouth - 7/22
Drexel - 7/21
Beth Isreal - 7/23
Rush - 7/27
Wisconsin - 7/28

Interview:
Emory - 7/22
Dartmouth - 7/22
Drexel - 7/21
Beth Isreal - 7/23
Rush - 7/27
Wisconsin - 7/28
Tufts - 7/28

heard back from cedars sinai, loma linda, emory, UCSD so far.