Official 2015-2016 Rheumatology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree that it is poor form not to cancel interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of that on the trail too...just did an interview yesterday where three of the 7 or 8 people that were supposed to be interviewing no showed.

those people should be blacklisted imo. too unprofessional.

Anyone else struggling with rank lists? I liked a lot of programs I interviewed at, even though they are all so different. Tough decisions. Can't decide if I want a county experience or a big private hospital experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else struggling with rank lists? I liked a lot of programs I interviewed at, even though they are all so different. Tough decisions. Can't decide if I want a county experience or a big private hospital experience.

I'm in the same boat.

Can someone comment on the following programs: USC, Vanderbilt, Georgetown?

I am also struggling with list. Most programs I interviewed only have one spot and 1-2 internal applicants. This seems to be more difficult than my internal medicine ROL.

So what happens if you don't match in fellowship. Can you Soap into a spot?

Ya can we get comments on programs in general?

I'm curious about Texas and Socal programs.

As far as I understand it isn't SOAP, you start coming up programs based on the list eras sends you if you didn't match.

This thread is a bunch of questions and no answers

Can't complain I guess because I'm not that useful

What program in texas you want to know. I have a friend working in San Antonio texas.

I would like to know about texas programs also! Baylor Houston?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well San Antonio texas program is good with less research component if that is something you really prefer. Dallas Texas program is really good and they don't have any internal candidate this year. Have no clue about Galveston program and Baylor Houston is good program but this year they have their internal candidates and this is what really bothers me that why the hell you waste people money when at the end you will prefer internal candidates. I was shocked to go to some programs that have only 1 seat and they are interviewing like 25 people for 1 seat and on top of that they have their internal candidate as well. There should be certain rules by AAMC to stop such programs because even attending interviews are time consuming and really expensive as I spend almost $5000 to attend mine.

I'd answer questions but nobody has asked about the programs I'm familiar with/interviewed at.

The 'internal candidates' bit is something of an enigma for a couple reasons: 1) some programs actually don't give the internal candidates a leg up (really) and 2) some/many internal candidates don't want to go to their home programs.

I would be interested in thoughts on:
Emory
Georgetown
UNC

Anyone with a good take on these programs?

I'm curious about the Socal programs, UCI, UC SD, Scripps, Loma Linda and UClA,

I was also curious about Texas but that answer above was helpful.

I did not IV at UNC but heard great things, but all rumor.

Please help in comparing ochsner medical center new Orleans LA versus university of Iowa.

Well San Antonio texas program is good with less research component if that is something you really prefer. Dallas Texas program is really good and they don't have any internal candidate this year. Have no clue about Galveston program and Baylor Houston is good program but this year they have their internal candidates and this is what really bothers me that why the hell you waste people money when at the end you will prefer internal candidates. I was shocked to go to some programs that have only 1 seat and they are interviewing like 25 people for 1 seat and on top of that they have their internal candidate as well. There should be certain rules by AAMC to stop such programs because even attending interviews are time consuming and really expensive as I spend almost $5000 to attend mine.
Baylor Houston has 3 spots. Are you saying that they are going to take 3 internal candidates?

I would be interested in thoughts on:
Emory
Georgetown
UNC

Anyone with a good take on these programs?

If you are into vasculitis, UNC may be a great place with Falk and Jennette on campus (renal/patho though).

Just my two cents...... As I see from the pattern everybody has lot of questions but no one wants to share any information. This year it seems there are only couple of active users on the forum. I don't see any issue if we discuss the programs as interview season is over now and It will be better if we share our own experience of a program first before asking others for opinion. It will definitely help current and future applicants when making decisions.

@ Rheumchill i personally didn't get interview from baylor texas but i learned it from my friend who got interview from them. They have 2 internal candidates as he asked from one of the current fellows. He personally didn't like the program because it is going through a lot of transitions as they have new program director this year and last year's program director was not even a rheumatologist. But that is just one opinion. you should go with your own personal experience as what i am doing with my rank order list.

Out of curiosity, has anybody received anything like 'ranked to match' emails or phone calls from programs?

Do rheum programs do these things?

I personally didn't get any such email or phone from any program.

Out of curiosity, has anybody received anything like 'ranked to match' emails or phone calls from programs?

Do rheum programs do these things?

I've received several e-mails and phone calls from programs; not sure what this means...

Just my two cents...... As I see from the pattern everybody has lot of questions but no one wants to share any information. This year it seems there are only couple of active users on the forum. I don't see any issue if we discuss the programs as interview season is over now and It will be better if we share our own experience of a program first before asking others for opinion. It will definitely help current and future applicants when making decisions.

@ Rheumchill i personally didn't get interview from baylor texas but i learned it from my friend who got interview from them. They have 2 internal candidates as he asked from one of the current fellows. He personally didn't like the program because it is going through a lot of transitions as they have new program director this year and last year's program director was not even a rheumatologist. But that is just one opinion. you should go with your own personal experience as what i am doing with my rank order list.
Thanks for clarifying about Baylor. I agree that we should comment on overall feels of programs.

I felt that Emory had an emphasis on clinical training and research was readily available.

I thought UNC had a greater interest in research.

I've gotten several emails from programs, but they basically seem to be pleasantries etc. Nothing like some of the emails I got when matching IM, which were definitely 'ranked to match' communications.

Guyz please help me in ranking ochsner new Orleans LA or uni of iowa..which is good program?

Heard good things about U Iowa (apparently good research) but was not able to interview there because of time constraints. I don't know anything about Ochsner.

One of the things the fellows at my home program recommended is to (all other things being equal) rank programs that take one fellow per year lower because they tend to have really horrendous call schedules by rheum standards and leave you less time to pursue research, US training, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
unfortunately I don't have experiences many of the places mentioned above otherwise I def would've shared....

I have also received couple of emails just saying general thank you - Are we supposed to reply to them??

Anyone have any idea about NY Long Island programs...Stonybrook....NorthShore

My interview season is finally done guys! Interviewed at 13 programs. USIMG that applied to 20 programs. Didn't get any "rank to match" e-mails from any of the programs, just friendly responses to my thank you e-mails. Saw a lot of great applicants on the interview trail though. Very nervous about match day despite having so many interviews. Wish you all the best. T-minus 26 days till we find out!

My interview season is finally done guys! Interviewed at 13 programs. USIMG that applied to 20 programs. Didn't get any "rank to match" e-mails from any of the programs, just friendly responses to my thank you e-mails. Saw a lot of great applicants on the interview trail though. Very nervous about match day despite having so many interviews. Wish you all the best. T-minus 26 days till we find out!

Yeah, I know the feeling.

I ultimately did 10 interviews but had about 20 offers when all was said and done. This is a good number by the Charting Outcomes data, but i still don't feel super confident. Couldn't go to most of the extra ten offers I had because of significant overlap on interview days, but there were maybe 3-4 more I could have wedged in were it not for some scheduling constraints with my residency program.

I think things will turn out OK for most of us, though.

Yeah, I know the feeling.

I ultimately did 10 interviews but had about 20 offers when all was said and done. This is a good number by the Charting Outcomes data, but i still don't feel super confident. Couldn't go to most of the extra ten offers I had because of significant overlap on interview days, but there were maybe 3-4 more I could have wedged in were it not for some scheduling constraints with my residency program.

I think things will turn out OK for most of us, though.

As they all say, "it only takes one." Good luck everyone! :D

Did anyone get to interview at Chicago programs? Would love to hear impressions and general thoughts if anyone did. Thanks all!

ROL certified. Good luck to all!

I'll start posting my reviews of programs within a couple days at most.

What a relief. Was fretting over my ROL for hours before. Good luck everyone. Maybe one of you will be my fellow fellow. ;)

Does anybody know how they inform you about the match. Does NRMP send you an email with the program name where you match?? and yes Good Luck to everyone.

Y'all ready for this? Can't believe it's the eve of match day already...good luck to all and may the odds be ever in your favor....

Matched! #4, but I'm happy. Hope everyone matched!