Official 2015-2016 "What Are My Chances" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OK, so what I am learning is that I’m expected to drain a fresh flash drive and down load all of the applications today and never look again for any updates. If you are not complete by noon on 9/15, you are SOL. (complete sarcasm).

How would this approach advantage either side? Don’t worry; anything before Dean’s letters come out is plenty early. Good luck everyone, unless you are a program director in my area in which case, release the hounds and let the games begin!
May the Odds be in your Favor!

(though to press that analogy, I think we are the folks watching on TV while the tribu--err, applicants--enjoy the arena...)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck everybody

is there a good way of getting back to programs saying something like: I might have been filtered because of step 1 219 automatically, please take a look at my step 2 ck - 244

Good luck everybody

is there a good way of getting back to programs saying something like: I might have been filtered because of step 1 219 automatically, please take a look at my step 2 ck - 244

Just say what you said in a more formal way (i.e. "Thank you for reviewing my application. I am very interested in your program, but am concerned that I might be filtered out because of a Step 1 score that might be just short of the cutoff. If this is the case, I was hoping that my Step 2CK score might offset that concern... etc. etc.). You might want to wait until you actually know that the program has sent out some interview invitations and you didn't receive one. Very few programs will filter you out for a 219, unless you're an IMG. Even then, there was one program whose website said that they set quite a high filter for IMGs, but they invited me anyway even though I was a couple of points short of that (I also had a higher CK score).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just say what you said in a more formal way (i.e. "Thank you for reviewing my application. I am very interested in your program, but am concerned that I might be filtered out because of a Step 1 score that might be just short of the cutoff. If this is the case, I was hoping that my Step 2CK score might offset that concern... etc. etc.). You might want to wait until you actually know that the program has sent out some interview invitations and you didn't receive one. Very few programs will filter you out for a 219, unless you're an IMG. Even then, there was one program whose website said that they set quite a high filter for IMGs, but they invited me anyway even though I was a couple of points short of that (I also had a higher CK score).

Thank you

Yes, I am an IMG and received one decline today, several hours after submitting my application LOL, I didn't have high hopes for that program anyways but still..

Um, is it okay to send 4 letters if the residency if the website only asks for three? That won't be a reason for them to say "can't follow directions... NEXT!"?

Good luck, everyone. Let's hope we all make it out the other end.

Last edited:
Um, is it okay to send 4 letters if the residency if the website only asks for three? That won't be a reason for them to say "can't follow directions... NEXT!"?

I wouldn't even believe if someone told me that kind of thing happened somewhere

too much anxiety and I totally get you but remember at the end of the day PDs are normal people looking for good applicants, why on earth would someone do that

Hi there guys, good luck to all.

quick question...does anyone know anything about the San Diego Naval program, does one have to be a part of Air Force in order to apply? Or can when apply and join military later? thanks

Well I hope not, because I sent all 4 of my letters to all programs haha

... I totally get you but remember at the end of the day PDs are normal people looking for good applicants...
This.

You know, I was thinking about this on my plane trip today during my usual "omigod what if we crash" takeoff roll anxiety.
It occured to me that the pilot wants to get home safely, too.
So except in rare instances--the occasional malignant PD and the very rare suicidal airline pilot--WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME SIDE , and we are all seeking the same goal!
So Viva ERAS! Viva le Match! Let's get out there and have fun meeting each other now.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone-rather than start a new thread...what's the consensus on places that have a decent exposure to psychoanalysis?

Hey everyone-rather than start a new thread...what's the consensus on places that have a decent exposure to psychoanalysis?

I know University of Michigan Ann Arbor has a strong psychoanalysis component.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my MSPE to review and it's triggering my anxiety something terrible.

Tl'dr: If you have people saying you had shortcomings but improved, have good insight, and are very responsive to feedback and will therefore likely continue to improve, is it okay if such comments appear... twice? Both are during the first semester of 3rd year.

Overall, my MSPE is quite glowing, and suggests I am great at communication, which is what we need in psychiatry, right?

I'm sorry. I am just so paranoid that anything suggestive of a problem might be a reason to reject me.
Take it easy. Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy.

There are definitely threads on this. Check the stickies.

Take it easy. Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy.
Yeah... I really just need to chill and stop perseverating on all the flaws in my application. Everyone's got flaws, no?

Good luck everybody

No program as far as I know has a step 1 cut-off of 219.

just realized this was posted in psychiatry. Posting in correct forum.

Do program directors get an automatic notification if my LOR writer uploads a letter to my app in a few weeks? Or do I have to send and email and let them know that a letter has been added to my file?

Step 1: 236
Step 2 CK/ CS: 247, pass
School: Carib big 4, but I'm a U.S. citizen
Class Rank: not sure if my school has this, I've never seen it mentioned
Grades in Clerkship: all As, except B+'s in family and obgyn
AOA: n/a
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: research experience in undergrad, no pubs. Joined a few clubs and some volunteering while on the island.
Red Flags: (step failures, etc) Repeated first semester; received Bs and As in my basic science courses afterwards
Overview of where you want to end up: Mid-Atlantic, with NY being my #1 area (5 boroughs/Long Island).

I know I have decent scores, but I'm wondering how big of hinderance my repeat + non-existent research will be for me. I'm guessing I'll get some automatic rejections?

Step 1: 236
Step 2 CK/ CS: 247, pass
School: Carib big 4, but I'm a U.S. citizen
Class Rank: not sure if my school has this, I've never seen it mentioned
Grades in Clerkship: all As, except B+'s in family and obgyn
AOA: n/a
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: research experience in undergrad, no pubs. Joined a few clubs and some volunteering while on the island.
Red Flags: (step failures, etc) Repeated first semester; received Bs and As in my basic science courses afterwards
Overview of where you want to end up: Mid-Atlantic, with NY being my #1 area (5 boroughs/Long Island).

I know I have decent scores, but I'm wondering how big of hinderance my repeat + non-existent research will be for me. I'm guessing I'll get some automatic rejections?
Lack of research means essentially nothing unless you're applying to one of the academic powerhouses or research track. That first semester repeat may catch a few eyes but that's much less of a red flag than a failed Step... Which you did very well on btw. Just be ready to explain. NYC may be tough (outside of the sweatshops) but I'm sure a few of those 2nd tiers will give you a sniff. I'd be sure to include some less competitive programs in NJ and PA if you're looking to stay in the area. I wouldn't rule out the Midwest either. As a former NYer I'm kinda digging the Midwestern thing. Lots of solid programs too!

Step 1:248
Step 2: pending
Class rank: Top 3rd
School: midwest state school
Grades in clerkships: High pass in surgery, Honors in everything else
AOA: Nominated
Research: PhD in Neuroscience with psychiatry related research, 3 first-author publications, 8 co-author, many posters/presentations including talks at APA and AACAP
Extracirriculars: Lots of teaching, including publications in medical education journals.
Red Flags: Incomplete in one grad school class (should be fixed by interviews, but was on the transcript that went out initially) dissertation defense this fall
Overview of where I want to end up: My SO is in Boston, so Boston Boston Boston.

I know I'm a very strong candidate. I'm just wondering if anyone is going to care about those red flags... I applied all over the north east, but I really want to live with my SO....

I am starting to wonder if perhaps it might be a good idea to add a few sentences to my PS about overcoming some of my difficulties in early clerkships of third year. (I already submitted, but I can update the document).

As a reminder, I got a low pass in peds, and the best thing the eval had to say about me was that I "improved and will continue to improve, hard worker" etc. But they did use improvement in relation to buzzwords like "teamword and interpersonal communication." The next rotation (ob/gyn) said "continues to work on those areas," though the overall eval was excellent.

Later evals were excellent, and got more and more enthusiastic as time went on.

Do you think that sort of thing could help me, hurt me, or is it one of those "can't hurt" things? My thought is that people may interpret the comments differently, and the MSPE is known for being intentionally super diplomatic, so some may be concerned that the improvement-focused comments are actually trying to hide something.

(It doesn't help that I am on an elective that has me working what amounts to 2 days a week, so I have nothing to do but sit and angst about this.)

...also anyone get interviews yet?

Hey guys, anyone of you applying to pysch as a second residency? I am currently completing my Family Medicine residency. Step scores are all above 230 (including step 3), am already fully licensed. Have no research. Applying to Ohio, Maryland, Texas, Oregon, New Mexico and Colorado. I am a US IMG.
I was wondering if YOU have, or know of anyone that has done this in the past. If so, how did it work out?
Thanks,
C.

Research: PhD in Neuroscience with psychiatry related research, 3 first-author publications, 8 co-author, many posters/presentations including talks at APA and AACAP
Extracirriculars: Lots of teaching, including publications in medical education journals.
Red Flags: Incomplete in one grad school class (should be fixed by interviews, but was on the transcript that went out initially) dissertation defense this fall
Overview of where I want to end up: My SO is in Boston, so Boston Boston Boston.

I know I'm a very strong candidate. I'm just wondering if anyone is going to care about those red flags... I applied all over the north east, but I really want to live with my SO....

Yeah... I don't think that incomplete matters. It's not even in a medical school class. Although I'm not an expert on this topic, based on conversations I've had with my school's program director I'd be shocked if this affected you.

I'd be surprised if anyone even notices those red flags -- I'm not even sure I'd call them red flags. :) Only other MD/PhD people would even know that those would indicate a non-perfect record.

Step 1: 223
Step 2: 225/pending
Class rank: Maybe middle most likely bottom 3rd
School: middle tier allopathic
Grades in clerkships: honors in psych sub-I, high pass psych. others a mix of pass, high pass, and honors
AOA: nope
Research: none
Extracirriculars: community volunteering, tutoring ect... nothing too impressive
Red Flags: none unless I don't pass step 2 cs...
Overview of where I want to end up: I would prefer the west coast or Texas.

I applied to about 40 programs mostly because of couples matching. But I am beginning to believe I should have applied to more.

Last edited:
Step 1: 223
Step 2: 225/pending
Class rank: Maybe middle most likely bottom 3rd
School: middle tier allopathic
Grades in clerkships: honors in psych sub-I, high pass psych. others a mix of pass, high pass, and honors
AOA: nope
Research: none
Extracirriculars: community volunteering, tutoring ect... nothing too impressive
Red Flags: none unless I don't pass step 2 cs...
Overview of where I want to end up: I would prefer the west coast or Texas.

I applied to about 40 programs mostly because of couples matching. But I am beginning to believe I should have applied to more.
It's not too late to apply to a few more, but it's still quite early. Why are you thinking you need more -- because you haven't gotten as many interviews so far as you were hoping? Honestly, from what I head in the Interview thread, most invites go out between Oct 1st and 15th, so I wouldn't panic yet.

Did you apply to a good mix of competitive and less competitive? Do you have regional or institutional connections to any of the places you applied? The West coast tends to be more competitive, but Texas is less so, although my guess is that regional ties or, in Texas, the knowledge of Spanish might give you an edge.

I am a USMD and I applied to 46 programs, mostly midwest and southwest, but people have been telling me that's overkill.

Last edited:
Step 1: 216
Step 2 CK/ CS: 233/ Taking in Nov
School: Well known US primary care school
Class Rank: Middle of the road/ lower half
Grades in Clerkship: No honors (10% of class gets honors), "Honors" remarks in IM, Psych, OB, Surg, and FM. In all rotations, remarked as being "compassionate, forming strong relationships with patients"
AOA: No
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: Research in undergrad w/ 1 poster at a national conference, 3 years biochem research post college w/ 1 publication and presentation at international conference, PH research and summer of research in medical school. Working on Ethics/psych research in 4th year. Volunteered to help run child psych parent/child group with child fellow 4th year. Multiple ECs in med school related to writing med school curriculum and teaching premeds. Lots of outdoorsy Extracurriculars unrelated to med school
Red Flags: None
LORs: 4 (2 psych, one peds, one IM) One psychiatrist writing me a letter whose elective feedback in MSPE was "Easily one of the best medical students I have worked with."
Overview of where you want to end up: Not super picky. Pacific NW, NE, Midwest... not so much the South. Would love to have access to mountains/ X-Country skiing, cycling... etc.

Grades in Clerkship: No honors (10% of class gets honors), "Honors" remarks in IM, Psych, OB, Surg, and FM. In all rotations, remarked as being "compassionate, forming strong relationships with patients"
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: Research in undergrad w/ 1 poster at a national conference, 3 years biochem research post college w/ 1 publication and presentation at international conference, PH research and summer of research in medical school. Working on Ethics/psych research in 4th year. Volunteered to help run child psych parent/child group with child fellow 4th year. Multiple ECs in med school related to writing med school curriculum and teaching premeds. Lots of outdoorsy Extracurriculars unrelated to med school
LORs: 4 (2 psych, one peds, one IM) One psychiatrist writing me a letter whose elective feedback in MSPE was "Easily one of the best medical students I have worked with."
Overview of where you want to end up: Not super picky. Pacific NW, NE, Midwest... not so much the South. Would love to have access to mountains/ X-Country skiing, cycling... etc.

Why are you even posting? You will have no problems.
I'd love to have you here.

Hopeful, trying to be optimistic, but also realistic about my chances. Any thoughts about my chances?

US IMG
Graduated 2014
Extended medical education due to one course failure
Step 1: high 190's
Step 2CK: high 210's (2nd attempt)
Research but no publications in medical school
leadership, tons of volunteering in behavioral health fields (hotlines, counseling, etc)...
Clear interest in psychiatry from the beginning
4 LOR (2 psych, 2 IM) all from US
1 year USCE
Applied broadly to 100 programs on 9/15/2015, ECFMG certified 9/16/2015.

Do I have a shot for matching/getting interviews this season? So far no rejections/invites.

Thanks.

Hmmm, sounds like internet dating. That would be a great idea; we should have ERAS taken over by E-harmony and have them design the questions and matches. All applicants get to do an overnight with up to three programs before they have to pay more money to keep looking without signing a contract.

So there you have it -- OPD's program, which I believe will at least give you access to cross country skiing. :)

I think you'd have a pretty good shot at the place I trained at, too, and am guessing you applied there. No shortage of outdoor activities here.

Reactions: 1 users
So there you have it -- OPD's program, which I believe will at least give you access to cross country skiing. :)

I think you'd have a pretty good shot at the place I trained at, too, and am guessing you applied there. No shortage of outdoor activities here.
Any hints of what programs these are? Because I want to apply there! (Hopefully I did already).

Thank you! Just nerves, I think. I am so excited to start working in psych and just feeling a little jittery like everyone else. :)

Hmmm, sounds like internet dating. That would be a great idea; we should have ERAS taken over by E-harmony and have them design the questions and matches. All applicants get to do an overnight with up to three programs before they have to pay more money to keep looking without signing a contract.
TINDER for ERAS!
Swipe left, swipe left, swipe right....

Check out Reno, NV, great program and you can't beat 30 minutes from lake tahoe and super affordable.

little nervous...what programs would i be competitive for?
step 1:197
step 2: 230/pending
school: middle us allopatic
grades in clerkship: all pass
aoa: no
research: pubs and posters in internal med from undergrad, starting some psych research in irb right now
red flags: none
lors: strong, 3 psych, 1 IM

would i be screened out for my step 1? though improved....

thanks for your time, appreciate it!

Check out Reno, NV, great program and you can't beat 30 minutes from lake tahoe and super affordable.

mc0487-final-2p_1024x1024.jpg

leapfrog- Fewer programs than you think screen out based Step 1. For the few that do, yes, they may screen you out.

So focus on the majority of programs that don't. To help with anxiety, apply very broadly and have an open-mind geographically. Do this and your odds of matching somewhere you'll enjoy go up dramatically.

Hey guys, anyone of you applying to pysch as a second residency? I am currently completing my Family Medicine residency. Step scores are all above 230 (including step 3), am already fully licensed. Have no research. Applying to Ohio, Maryland, Texas, Oregon, New Mexico and Colorado. I am a US IMG.
I was wondering if YOU have, or know of anyone that has done this in the past. If so, how did it work out?
Thanks,
C.
I would really appreciate some real feedback from anyone that went through it or PDs that have experience with this. I have been getting some depressing gossip about the GME funding being to big of an issue for people to want to accept a resident in their second residency.

Much appreciated,
C.

I’m far from an expert in this, but having seen a couple of programs dissolve and send residents all over with their CMS funding, I think it has to do with how much a program is dependent on Medicare to pay its residents. Non-intuitively, this means that places with VA funding or places with very low amounts of Medicare patients will not care very much about prior training. In other words, the places that treat the lowest end of the socio-economic patients may be the most likely to be able to hire you (or veterans of course). The ACA may move this more towards just veterans, but I don’t think anyone knows for sure.

I’m far from an expert in this, but having seen a couple of programs dissolve and send residents all over with their CMS funding, I think it has to do with how much a program is dependent on Medicare to pay its residents. Non-intuitively, this means that places with VA funding or places with very low amounts of Medicare patients will not care very much about prior training. In other words, the places that treat the lowest end of the socio-economic patients may be the most likely to be able to hire you (or veterans of course). The ACA may move this more towards just veterans, but I don’t think anyone knows for sure.

Yeah, to my knowledge the funding follows the resident if the program dissolves. I know that happened to a bunch of the Wayne State programs during their stupid fight with the DMC around 2006-2007, and their residents in ortho and I think neuro scattered across the country, though easily finding spots. I also met a bunch of former St. Vincent psych residents all over during the interview trail; however I'm pretty sure that's a unique issue.

. Vanderbilt is where I really want to go. I went there for undergrad. I like the program. I have friends, family, and my significant other in the area. However, I still haven't heard from them even though people with lower Step 1 scores have. I sent them a letter of interest, but I've heard absolutely nothing back. The only thing I can think is that it's because I haven't taken Step 2 CK yet.
I have similar stats with a few points lower on step 1, and just took CK last week. No red flags and all my cores are completed but no particular ties to the area. I received an invite from them on Monday so maybe wait a few days before getting too nervous. Good luck!