Official 2016-2017 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in Cardiology, but mostly open to anything. Mainly looking for a program with solid clinical training and good fellowship/research opportunities.

Duke/UTSW
Yale
Vanderbilt
Emory
Northwestern
U Chicago
Colorado
UNC
Wash U
OHSU
Wisconsin

Any help teasing this out is appreciated. Good luck ya'll.

I'd put WashU and Vandy above Yale and Emory below UChicago.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in Cardiology, but mostly open to anything. Mainly looking for a program with solid clinical training and good fellowship/research opportunities.

Duke/UTSW
Yale
Vanderbilt
Emory
Northwestern
U Chicago
Colorado
UNC
Wash U
OHSU
Wisconsin

Any help teasing this out is appreciated. Good luck ya'll.

Very strong list. First off, I would offer you the obligatory emphasis that you will succeed coming from any of these places. It really comes down to personal preference when deciphering between some of these places.

This is how I would rank the ones that I know, in the order that I liked them for both IM and obtaining a top cardiology fellowship.

-Duke- top notch in nearly every way.
-Yale- IM department is the focal point of the hospital, excellent mentors in Cardiology, very well-respected by Cardiology fellowship programs with most individuals getting their top choice for fellowship
-Vandy- Underrated program. Great PD, supportive learning environment, fellowship match. This was among my favorite medicine programs.
-WashU- Impressive hospital, fellowship programs, strong reputation among cards fellowships especially among mid-west and southern programs.
-UTSW- Pluses include a top notch clinical cardiology fellowship, Circulation, very well-respected by the mid-west and southern fellowships (you wont find many programs that give you a better shot at a fellowship at Duke or the Cleveland Clinic).
-NW- Big city, beautiful facilities, strong fellowship.

(didn't ever look at Emory, U Chicago, Colorado, UNC, OHSU, or Wisconsin for residency or fellowship)

Feel free to message if you have questions.

long time lurker - would absolutely love some help. Interested in academic cardiology, East-coast bias. Physician Scientist

1. MGH
2. BWH
3. Hopkins
4. Penn
5. Stanford (offered guaranteed Cards fellowship)
6. Duke
7. BIDMC
8. NYP-Cornell
9. Yale
10. UTSW
11. WashU
12. Northwestern
13. Vanderbilt
14. UPMC

Members don't see this ad :)
long time lurker - would absolutely love some help. Interested in academic cardiology, East-coast bias. Physician Scientist

1. MGH
2. BWH
3. Hopkins
4. Penn
6. Duke
7. BIDMC
8. NYP-Cornell
9. Yale
10. UTSW
11. WashU
12. Northwestern
13. Vanderbilt
14. UPMC

Congratulations on a fantastic list. It looks pretty good to me the way it is. Strictly personal preference-wise, I liked MGH/Penn/Duke better than BWH/Hopkins/Stanford. Again, that's more "feel" than anything else. Choose the ones you like and look forward to a bright future.

1. MGH
2. BWH
3. Hopkins
4. Penn
6. Duke
7. BIDMC
8. NYP-Cornell
9. Yale
10. UTSW
11. WashU
12. Northwestern
13. Vanderbilt
14. UPMC

I'm just a fellow applicant so take my advice with a grain salt (and fellow sdn vets correct me if anything I say is wrong), but you obviously can't go wrong with any of these. If your goal is to do academic cardiology as a physician scientist then none of these would hold you back and I would pick based on preference (gut feeling, location, research opportunities in your field of interest). I interviewed at many of the same places and it occurred to me there were different types of programs out there - one type that values heavy autonomy and ownership of patients right from the start and gives you a very front loaded and intense intern year, others that seem to ease you into things and give a more evenly distributed schedule across 3 years, programs that seemed more "old-school" or hierarchical, and some programs where there was more of a flat or horizontal culture and everyone was on a first name basis with attendings. Personalities of residents and faculty seemed different at a lot of these programs as well. All of them were great. Reflect and figure out which type of program you would fit into best. Most importantly, I had countless people tell me who have been through the process just to go off the gut feeling at the end of the day. It was apparent to me that even though many of these programs blended together after a long interview trail, at some places I connected better with the people and values/beliefs of the program. As a result I felt more excited about certain ones and I used this feeling and a combination of personal factors to generate my list. My list looks very different from yours and differed greatly from my preinterview rankings of the programs. Good luck...obviously you can't go wrong.

Reactions: 1 users

1. MGH
2. BWH
3. Hopkins
4. Penn
6. Duke
7. BIDMC
8. NYP-Cornell
9. Yale
10. UTSW
11. WashU
12. Northwestern
13. Vanderbilt
14. UPMC
This is one of those lists where you need to decide what you want from a program and rank accordingly.

These are all academic heavyweights and, as such, will set you up for whatever career you like in the future. So rank according to program style, location and research opportunities (since that's your career plan for now) and you'll be fine.

1. MGH
2. BWH
3. Hopkins
4. Penn
6. Duke
7. BIDMC
8. NYP-Cornell
9. Yale
10. UTSW
11. WashU
12. Northwestern
13. Vanderbilt
14. UPMC

First of all, great list. Be thoughtful about which program you rank #1 as this may well be where you match. I think discussing ranks 5-14 may be a waste of time. Would agree with order 1-4 (also assuming slight preference of Boston > Baltimore). Otherwise would probably go MGH>JHH>BWH>Penn. Unless physician-scientist with goal to do cards at Stanford, would not be tempted by their offer. You want to have the best clinical training residency can offer, so would move up Duke, UTSW, Wash U, but probably moot point.

Reactions: 1 user
Interested in pulm/cc. I want strong clinical training above all else, but research opportunities are also important. No huge location bias. My first two and last four choices are pretty firm; I'm really struggling to rank programs in the 3-7 range. Any thoughts are appreciated, though I suspect I'll be fine ranking these programs in just about any order.

1. Michigan
2. UTSW
3. UPMC
4. U Chicago
5-7. Vanderbilt / UCSD / WUSTL
8. Colorado
9. Mayo (Rochester)
10. OHSU
11. Baylor

Interested in pulm/cc. I want strong clinical training above all else, but research opportunities are also important. No huge location bias. My first two and last four choices are pretty firm; I'm really struggling to rank programs in the 3-7 range. Any thoughts are appreciated, though I suspect I'll be fine ranking these programs in just about any order.

1. Michigan
2. UTSW
3. UPMC
4. U Chicago
5-7. Vanderbilt / UCSD / WUSTL
8. Colorado
9. Mayo (Rochester)
10. OHSU
11. Baylor

Would move Vandy, Wash U to 3/4 in no particular order, Mayo above Colorado.

1. MGH
2. BWH
3. Hopkins
4. Penn
6. Duke
7. BIDMC
8. NYP-Cornell
9. Yale
10. UTSW
11. WashU
12. Northwestern
13. Vanderbilt
14. UPMC

All phenomenal places. Your top four programs will open up fellowship opportunities across the nation - their respective cardiology match lists are phenomenal.

Clinical training is outstanding at all. Other considerations to factor in include 1. Location, 2. The feel/fit of a program, 3. Potential mentorship opportunities.

Based on the fact that you are MD/PHD and interested in academic cardiology, I would rank:
1. BWH
2. Penn
3. Hopkins
4. MGH

You'll get outstanding medicine clinical training at all. BWH really is a powerhouse/mecca in terms of academic cardiology (with a wealth of successful basic/translational scientists, TIMI, Chief of Cardiology just awarded a huge 75 million dollar grant from AHA, and generally huge names in the field such as Libby, O'Gara, Ridker, Bhatt, Seidman's, Faxon, Bill and Lynn Stevenson, Braunwald, Sabatine and the entire TIMI group etc etc...). While nothing of those factors will directly affect you as a medicine resident, the opportunity to interact and potentially begin research relationship with prominent faculty early in training is powerful.

Obviously, your scientific interests may already be differentiated... in which case going to the institution that has a mentor you'd likely work with makes the most sense. Feel free to PM if more questions.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
All phenomenal places. Your top four programs will open up fellowship opportunities across the nation - their respective cardiology match lists are phenomenal.

Clinical training is outstanding at all. Other considerations to factor in include 1. Location, 2. The feel/fit of a program, 3. Potential mentorship opportunities.

Based on the fact that you are MD/PHD and interested in academic cardiology, I would rank:
1. BWH
2. Penn
3. Hopkins
4. MGH

You'll get outstanding medicine clinical training at all. BWH really is a powerhouse/mecca in terms of academic cardiology (with a wealth of successful basic/translational scientists, TIMI, Chief of Cardiology just awarded a huge 75 million dollar grant from AHA, and generally huge names in the field such as Libby, O'Gara, Ridker, Bhatt, Seidman's, Faxon, Bill and Lynn Stevenson, Braunwald, Sabatine and the entire TIMI group etc etc...). While nothing of those factors will directly affect you as a medicine resident, the opportunity to interact and potentially begin research relationship with prominent faculty early in training is powerful.

Obviously, your scientific interests may already be differentiated... in which case going to the institution that has a mentor you'd likely work with makes the most sense. Feel free to PM if more questions.

Guess this was written by someone in the Longwood area. :laugh:

The Brigham has 6 spots a year for cards/CV medicine fellowship, of those 1-2 seems to be filled with applicants from BWH per year, 1-2 per year with MGH residents. 1 or less per year from JHH and Penn. So, there is a "local" bias. Obviously, it doesn't matter much where you go within your #1-4 if matching at BWH for cards would be the sole purpose in life. Given that there is less resident autonomy at BWH, being a fellow at the Brigham may actually guarantee more learning.

Last edited:
1a) University of Minnesota
1b) Mayo Rochester

Hey guys, having trouble ranking the top of my list. From Minnesota and really hoping to go back for residency. I love both these programs. I'm drawn to the UofM because of the Twin Cities, its closer to family and its a good program that will provide me the opportunities to match into my fellowship of choice (thinking GI). I'm less high on Rochester but Mayo has unbelievable research and mentoring opportunities with most residents going to their top choice in fellowship. Do you think I'm making a mistake by potentially passing up Mayo and everything it offers? Thanks!

1a) University of Minnesota
1b) Mayo Rochester

Hey guys, having trouble ranking the top of my list. From Minnesota and really hoping to go back for residency. I love both these programs. I'm drawn to the UofM because of the Twin Cities, its closer to family and its a good program that will provide me the opportunities to match into my fellowship of choice (thinking GI). I'm less high on Rochester but Mayo has unbelievable research and mentoring opportunities with most residents going to their top choice in fellowship. Do you think I'm making a mistake by potentially passing up Mayo and everything it offers? Thanks!

UofM is very good but Mayo has better chances of putting you in a decent GI fellowship spot. They are an hour from each other and are equally cold, it's not like you're comparing mayo and UCSD.

Another person with not near the caliber of programs as a lot of these guys. Would like opinions on below (very tentative rank list) Maybe going into endocrine.
1. UAB
2. University of Kentucky
3. Wake Forest
4. University of Florida
5.MCG
6. MUSC
7. Mayo FL
8. Louisville (would be ok ending up here but not as good of a feel subjectively when I was here)

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Trying to get a list going with prestige/fellowship opportunities for ranking. So far this is what I have and I was wondering if it's about in the right order. Interested in GI/Heme/PulmCC
1. USoCal
2. Wake Forest
3. Rush/Loyola
4. RWJ
5. Temple
6. Henry Ford
7. UT Houston
8. UCLA Harbor
9. Loma Linda/Olive view

Thanks

Help me rank this: UCLA, Mayo, Mt Sinai, Michigan, UW-Madison. Interested in academics, cancer.

Longtime lurker, made a throwaway account for this question. Interested in health policy with an east coast bias

1-3: Penn/BWH/MGH
4: UCSF
5: Columbia
6: Hopkins
7: Duke
8: Stanford
9: Cornell

I'm particularly interested in some input around my top three. I understand that I cannot make a wrong choice, but I'm wondering whether or not the clout that BWH/MGH carry would be worth ranking them above Penn, despite a preference on my part for Philadelphia over Boston. Programs-wise I thought they all had their strengths and weaknesses that sort of balanced out as far as my ranking.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any input, would really appreciate it.

the clout that BWH/MGH carry would be worth ranking them above Penn

Do you want to tell everyone you went to Harvard? Or do you go to Harvard right now and worry that medicine outside of Boston involves leeches and exorcisms? If yes to either, Cornell #1 no question

Do you want to tell everyone you went to Harvard? Or do you go to Harvard right now and worry that medicine outside of Boston involves leeches and exorcisms? If yes to either, Cornell #1 no question

Hahaha yes this is exactly the point. I don't want to make a decision based on purely "prestige", but worry that fellowships/jobs down the line will care.

Or maybe there is a true difference between BWH/MGH and Penn and if so, I'd be interested in that take too.

Or maybe there is a true difference between BWH/MGH and Penn and if so, I'd be interested in that take too.

I can't believe we're actually discussing this

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Longtime lurker, made a throwaway account for this question. Interested in health policy with an east coast bias

I'm particularly interested in some input around my top three. I understand that I cannot make a wrong choice, but I'm wondering whether or not the clout that BWH/MGH carry would be worth ranking them above Penn, despite a preference on my part for Philadelphia over Boston. Programs-wise I thought they all had their strengths and weaknesses that sort of balanced out as far as my ranking.

Penn is phenomenal, excellent clinical training, and supported autonomy. Their fellowship match list is fantastic. My friends that went their for medicine absolutely loved it. If the Penn IM program felt right, and you prefer Philadelphia, you will not lose anything by going to Penn over BWH/MGH. They are all similar in terms of prestige, training, and fellowship match.

I was a resident at BWH and loved it. Truly a supportive, collegial, and very very special environment. A genuine focus on cultivating leaders in medicine - and they do it quite successfuly. They screen applicants very hard for personality, and the result is a very cohesive "fun-loving" class. Only 2 PDs ever - the program leadership is beloved. Also, fantastic match list.

I loved Penn back when I interviewed (and in retrospect, the "feel" of the program was very similar to BWH), but had to live in Boston at the time for personal reasons.

The other programs on your list (i.e UCSF, Columbia, Hopkins, Duke) are all outstanding. Despite the folklore of the "Big 4" on SDN, you're going to be phenomenally trained, have abundant opportunities, and excellent fellowship prospects coming out of any of these places!

Last edited:
Hahaha yes this is exactly the point. I don't want to make a decision based on purely "prestige", but worry that fellowships/jobs down the line will care.

Your clinical training and fellowship/job prospects out of all these programs will be fantastic.

I ranked BWH #1 and matched there. As stated above, I found it to be a truly truly special environment. Most BWH medicine alums reflect on their time in the program with significant nostalgia. The program leadership are beloved and VERY supportive of residents pursuing any interests, whether it be basic science, policy, a funded MBA at HBS, anthropologic fieldwork, or global health. They take special care to ensure that the "personalities" of applicants will fit the collegiate, fun-loving, and supportive environment. At the time I formulated my rank list, I talked to many HMS friends (who rotate at MGH/BWH/BIDMC), the vast majority of whom ranked BWH over the Boston other hospitals... not the end all, but telling in some respects.

I ended up ranking MGH high because I was trying to be in Boston at the time, and the program did not come off as malignant as billed. However, I didn't really feel like I fit in as well with the residents or culture of the program.

Last edited:

Nobody will care, all three programs are incredible. Certainly training at Penn will not hold you back in any way down the line. Choose the one you like the best and don't look back.

Hey everyone, looking for some feedback about the middle of my list, any input is greatly appreciated. Want to go into Heme/Onc, and was wondering if I should rank based on places that have strong Heme/Onc programs/Cancer Center affiliations, or who are heavily NCI funded:

1. BIDMC
2. UPMC
3-4 (??). Georgetown, Jefferson
5-7 (??). BU, Brown, Maryland
8-10. GW, Tufts, Temple

Thanks!

I was in a similar position last year, and my rank list was:
1) Penn
2) BWH
3) UCSF
4) MGH

I thought Penn, Brigham, and UCSF were all very similar in terms of program culture, and seem to attract similar personalities. All the programs on your list will provide excellent training, and none will hold you back in terms of fellowship. At this level, I don't think the "clout" factor counts for very much, as long as you take advantage of the opportunities that will present themselves at any of these programs. At a certain point networking and your productivity will count as much or more than the name on your diploma.

I'm a US Citizen, no visa issues, location is not important. Below is a tentative list but please give your input.
If I match in IM I plan to do a cardiology or allergy/immunology fellowship.
If I match in FM I plan to do a sports medicine or ER fellowship.

1) UPMC Hamot - Emergency Medicine

2) Coliseum Medical Center (Macon GA) - Internal Medicine

3) Morehouse - Family Medicine

4) UND Fargo - Family Medicine

5) Baptist Memorial (golden triangle) - Internal Medicine

6) Howard - Family Medicine

7) St Elizabeth (Utica NY) - Family Medicine

Hey everyone, looking for some feedback about the middle of my list, any input is greatly appreciated. Want to go into Heme/Onc, and was wondering if I should rank based on places that have strong Heme/Onc programs/Cancer Center affiliations, or who are heavily NCI funded:

1. BIDMC
2. UPMC
3-4 (??). Georgetown, Jefferson
5-7 (??). BU, Brown, Maryland
8-10. GW, Tufts, Temple

Thanks!

Don't know about heme/onc but this is where you'll get the best training....

1. BIDMC
2-4. UPMC or BU or Jefferson depending on location and how much you liked them
5-7. Brown or Maryland or Temple depending on location and how much you liked them
8-9. Tufts vs. Georgetown since IMO both have pretty significant deficiencies/problems
10. GW

Hey guys,

Anyone willing to PM me a copy of the Emory categorical benefits info they provided at interview? Would also love it if anyone out there that interviewed PSTP for Emory might have some of the info they distributed and PM me a copy as well. Seems as though I have misplaced most all my handouts from their folder except for my Interviewers sheet and the bound Hurst IM program material they gave with the folder. Thanks in advance!

Interested in GI, Rheum and general medicine with the possibility to be a clinical educator in the future. Help with ranking would be appreciate it.

1. UTSW
2. Emory
3. UVA
4. Baylor
4. Case Western
5. UAB
6. Iowa City
7. Indiana
8. Rush
9. Wake Forest
10. USC

Interested in GI/Heme Onc

Top3
Penn
Hopkins
MGH

Question is for #4: Jefferson vs UMichigan - location/family highly favor Jeff but I am unsure if there is a distinct strength of program difference going forward in my career. I liked both programs on interview day.

Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks

Interested in GI/Heme Onc

Top3
Penn
Hopkins
MGH

Question is for #4: Jefferson vs UMichigan - location/family highly favor Jeff but I am unsure if there is a distinct strength of program difference going forward in my career. I liked both programs on interview day.

Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks

Michigan >> Jefferson. Of course personal factors matter but in terms of fellowship opportunities there are liable to be real differences between coming out of those 2 programs.

Hi All,

I am in a similar boat as some of the above posts. My current "tops" (haven't decided order - so if someone wants to rank them for me that would be awesome :-D ):

Penn
BWH
University of Chicago
Columbia
Duke
Hopkins
UCSF

I am interested in GI/Heme-Onc. No regional preference, except I have been in the Northeast all my life. My question is that out of all the incredible interviews I've had - UoC was the one I where I had that "gut feeling" everyone keeps talking about. The mission of the program resonated with me and I truly feel like it's a good "fit." Now, unfortunately the program is not in the same caliber as the other programs I am considering. Will I be doing myself a disservice if I rank it over some of the other programs? Especially since I am considering a competitive specialty like GI? Thanks!

Hi All,

I am in a similar boat as some of the above posts. My current "tops" (haven't decided order - so if someone wants to rank them for me that would be awesome :-D ):

Penn
BWH
University of Chicago
Columbia
Duke
Hopkins
UCSF

I am interested in GI/Heme-Onc. No regional preference, except I have been in the Northeast all my life. My question is that out of all the incredible interviews I've had - UoC was the one I where I had that "gut feeling" everyone keeps talking about. The mission of the program resonated with me and I truly feel like it's a good "fit." Now, unfortunately the program is not in the same caliber as the other programs I am considering. Will I be doing myself a disservice if I rank it over some of the other programs? Especially since I am considering a competitive specialty like GI? Thanks!

So there is definitely a reputation gap between UofC and the others. That said, it's hard to see a situation in which training at UofC limits you in any tangible way. "The feeling" is really important. Maybe a second look there would be helpful.
The UofC GI match this year was pretty great btw: Brigham, BIDMC, UofC, UW, Mayo, Vandy.
I don't see UofC being limiting at all for GI.

Help me rank this: UCLA, Mayo, Mt Sinai, Michigan, UW-Madison. Interested in academics, cancer.
Dartboard.

Seriously.

I would have thought Michigan and UCLA were a pretty solid step above Mayo, Sinai, and UW-Madison when it comes to the perceived strength/prestige of their IM program and competitiveness of heme/onc fellowship match. Is that not the case?

Hello, thanks for help in advance. Any comments would be appreciated.

Interested in Heme/Onc with NYC bias for family reasons. Current thoughts are:

1. Cornell
2. Mt. Sinai
3. Columbia
4. NYU
5. BIDMC
6. Yale
7. BMC
8. Montefiore
9. Temple
10. Tufts
11. Brown
12. Hofstra/LIJ
13. GWU

Hello, thanks for help in advance. Any comments would be appreciated.

Interested in Heme/Onc with NYC bias for family reasons. Current thoughts are:

1. Cornell
2. Mt. Sinai
3. Columbia
4. NYU
5. BIDMC
6. Yale
7. BMC
8. Montefiore
9. Temple
10. Tufts
11. Brown
12. Hofstra/LIJ
13. GWU

Great list! Given your interest in heme/onc Cornell at the top makes sense, but realize, which I'm sure you do, that Columbia is the more academically prestigious program on your list. Would also consider ranking it above Sinai unless you happened to either hate the Columbia program or loved the Sinai program. Both will set you up excellently for h/o although Sinai has the stronger h/o fellowship. Also academically, BMC=monte and so if you have a NYC bias you should rank monte above BMC. Also traditionally monte has had great hem/onc matches(former monte resident). Caveat to this is that you almost certainly wont match this low! If you were concerned about academic rigor BIDMC above NYU but understand you want to be in NY so understand how you've ranked it. Rest of the list is sort of irrelevant given your other interviews but looks good. Good luck!

Trying to decide on my top 2- UCSF vs Penn. I think I want to be a hospitalist. UCSF seems to really emphasize hospital medicine and the residents are very close knit, but it's so far from home for me. Penn appears pretty specialty-focused and has a lot of inpatient consult rotations which isn't really my thing (plus the 28h intern call sucks), but I still really liked the program a lot. It's close to my family as well (and one of my family members isn't doing so well). But I did get the sense from UCSF that if stuff happens at home, there is a lot of support for you to take care of personal matters. I didn't hear about that at Penn. Any thoughts?

Also for my #3 on, I am thinking BIDMC, UWashington, WashU, Duke, Columbia, Cornell, UCLA, Northwestern, Michigan, Mayo, BU, U of Chicago, Tufts, Vanderbilt. Any thoughts on these programs? Did you guys get a sense that any of these are better at churning out hospitalists than others? Thanks in advance!

Hi guys,

So I am at the end of my IM interview season and the three program I am leaning towards heavily are Baylor, USC, and Hopkins-bayview. I do not really mind geographically where i spend the next 3 years, but I would like to be able to end up at a New York or a California Cardiology program. Here are my thoughts on these programs:

Baylor: Historically a great program, great schedule, happy residents, Loved the APDs (only saw PD for 1 hour when he made a presentation), money goes further in houston, program is very strong in cardio, great fellowship placement. Only issue, it seems like a large portion of those going into cardio match and stay in Houston. Not as many residents matching in New York or Cali, not sure if this is because of resident preference or not.

USC: I loved this program because of the PD, APDs, and residents. They have made huge strides in the past couple of years and their fellowship list looks awesome for cardio. They have matched all over California, some in New york. Get to live in LA. They haven't adopted the x+y system, large class size, but it doesnt seem like the residents mind/it hasnt really affected them.

Hopkins-bayview: Again, great PDs, APDs, residents. Baltimore doesnt seem like the best spot, but again I dont mind it for 3 years. Very heavily geared for primary care, altho residents have done well in the match.Get to work w/ hopkins faculty which sort of gives way to maybe possibly getting into hopkins cardio, altho this is not a backdoor to hopkins as others have said. Not many have matched outside of the northeast for cardio from the program.

I wanted to see if anyone has anything to add in terms of how I should rank these programs. Thank you.

Trying to decide on my top 2- UCSF vs Penn. I think I want to be a hospitalist. UCSF seems to really emphasize hospital medicine and the residents are very close knit, but it's so far from home for me. Penn appears pretty specialty-focused and has a lot of inpatient consult rotations which isn't really my thing (plus the 28h intern call sucks), but I still really liked the program a lot. It's close to my family as well (and one of my family members isn't doing so well). But I did get the sense from UCSF that if stuff happens at home, there is a lot of support for you to take care of personal matters. I didn't hear about that at Penn. Any thoughts?

Also for my #3 on, I am thinking BIDMC, UWashington, WashU, Duke, Columbia, Cornell, UCLA, Northwestern, Michigan, Mayo, BU, U of Chicago, Tufts, Vanderbilt. Any thoughts on these programs? Did you guys get a sense that any of these are better at churning out hospitalists than others? Thanks in advance!
Penn is definitely a very supportive program - as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I thought the culture was one of the most supportive while on interviews last year. In speaking with classmates now at other programs, those feelings have been confirmed. UCSF seemed to be a bit of an outlier among "top" programs with the number of hospitalists it produces (but that is probably to be expected given the program's history). While the structure of the Penn program is such that there are many subspecialty rotations, they aren't truly consult rotations - there are fellows and separate elective rotations for residents where you can serve as the consulting team for a given specialty. Many residents graduate to become hospitalists, and many of the hospitalist attendings were former residents. Even on the subspecialty services, residents are in charge. Subspecialty attendings often completely defer to the residents for management of more "general medicine" issues, which allows you to reinforce what you learn on the general medicine rotations. Similarly, you learn from true experts on the subspecialty rotations, and you can bring those skills back to the general medicine services. Overall, you can't go wrong with any of the programs on your list.

Hey guys would appreciate some help with ranking for internal med, with interests in cards fellowship

St. Luke's Roosevelt
Lenox Hill
NYP-Queens
Maimonedes (apparently it's potentially going to be a Northwell Hospital in a year)
Mount Auburn-Harvard
Yale Waterbury
UPMC Mercy
St. Luke's University (in PA)
Allegheny
Mount Sinai Elmhurst

I would have thought Michigan and UCLA were a pretty solid step above Mayo, Sinai, and UW-Madison when it comes to the perceived strength/prestige of their IM program and competitiveness of heme/onc fellowship match. Is that not the case?
You would have thought incorrectly. UCLA may be the weakest of that bunch, but there's not a whole lot of air between those programs either in the IM space or the Hem/Onc opportunities situation.

While far from the tier of my colleagues who posted previously, I could definitely use some advice making my list. Very interested in future cardiology fellowship. Similar to others, two of my biggest weighting factors are reputation and solid clinical training.

1. Cincinnati - loved the program for many reasons, definitely wouldn't mind living in Cincinnati
2-4 - Temple, Maryland, VCU
5. Henry Ford - the program was good, but I feel "meh" about living in Detroit so I'm placing HFH at 5
6. Drexel
7. Rutgers (RWJ)

Since I take Doximity's reputation list with a grain of salt, is it true the Cincinnati's rep is far above the rest?

How do the reputations of Temple, Maryland, VCU, and Henry Ford compare? In particular, Temple and VCU. I felt similarly about both. If reputations are similar, then I'd place VCU at #2 (I liked Richmond better) and Temple at #3. If Temple has a sizeable lead on VCU, then I'd flip it. Thanks all!

While far from the tier of my colleagues who posted previously, I could definitely use some advice making my list. Very interested in future cardiology fellowship. Similar to others, two of my biggest weighting factors are reputation and solid clinical training.

1. Cincinnati - loved the program for many reasons, definitely wouldn't mind living in Cincinnati
2-4 - Temple, Maryland, VCU
5. Henry Ford - the program was good, but I feel "meh" about living in Detroit so I'm placing HFH at 5
6. Drexel
7. Rutgers (RWJ)

Since I take Doximity's reputation list with a grain of salt, is it true the Cincinnati's rep is far above the rest?

How do the reputations of Temple, Maryland, VCU, and Henry Ford compare? In particular, Temple and VCU. I felt similarly about both. If reputations are similar, then I'd place VCU at #2 (I liked Richmond better) and Temple at #3. If Temple has a sizeable lead on VCU, then I'd flip it. Thanks all!
I'd personally have RWJ in the top 3 of that list, but if this is the way you like them, it's hard to argue with it. Your 2-4 as they stand should probably be:
Maryland
VCU
Temple

Would appreciate help with ranking the following:

Cleveland Clinic
William Beaumont
Rutgers NJMS
UMKC
U Oklahoma
Einstein Philadelphia
Mt. Sinai Miami
St. Elizabeth Boston

I am an IMG interested in Cards.

Any thoughts on Beaumont? I felt really good on the interview day but I can't find their fellowship match results.

Status
Not open for further replies.