Official 2016-2017 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Needs help with rank. Interested in cardiology. Needs to be near NY within driving distance due to family reasons on my wife's side. This is my top 5 currently. Thanks!

1 Rutgers RWJ
2 Rutgers NJMS
3 Northwell
4 Temple
5 Dartmouth
I am deciding between a few of these also. None are bad choices by any means. If you are ranking purely on "prestige" Temple and Dartmouth should be higher. You will do fine at any of these places so pick the ones you liked best

Members don't see this ad.

I am deciding between a few of these also. None are bad choices by any means. If you are ranking purely on "prestige" Temple and Dartmouth should be higher. You will do fine at any of these places so pick the ones you liked best

Agree. These are all on my list. Depending on how frequently you are going to need to drive to NY, I would not rank NJMS over Temple or Dartmouth.
If it's NYC you need to get to, Temple is within 2 hours via Amtrak, 2.5-3 via NJ transit.

They are all decent though, and I'm sure you can get the fellowship you want at any of these places, but Temple is way more reputable than NJMS.

Which of the two kentucky programs has a better reputation in terms of fellowship match and overall resident experience? Looking to see which should be ranked higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to figure out how to rank these programs. I'm thinking about academic cards or hospitalist. Here's how I have it ranked now:

1. Northwestern
2. Vanderbilt
3. BWH
4. UTSW
5. Duke
6. Stanford

Do you think going to NW or Vanderbilt over BWH matters in the long run? I liked the locations better.

I am a medical student who just finished up on the interview trail. These are just my opinions.

First off, as everyone has mentioned before these are all prestigious programs with excellent academic rep. So at the end of the day you'll be fine no matter what.

If I were you I'd rank them as follows:

1. Brigham - slightly more elite and part of the "big 4", Boston is a good location and the program seems to have a warm and collegial environment. People seem to love it there.

2. Duke - cards powerhouse. Rigorous but excellent clinical training. Residents here work hard and have a bunker mentality but they come out as warrior clinicians who feel like they can handle anything. Durham is a bit of a negative for me but it's not terrible and I'd swallow it for a program of Duke's caliber.

3. UTSW - another Duke style rigorous training environment that produces excellent clinicians. Strong cards fellowship matches. Circulation moved there. Dallas is actually an awesome city that's growing a lot.

4. Stanford - got the impression it was a little more chill and relaxed there. Residents still claim they get good clinical training and volume. Cards matches are very good. 3 hospital system which I liked. Sort of a side note but Abraham Verghese is faculty there and he does some teaching with the students and residents, im a huge fan of his work. Palo Alto seemed like a nice place to live, very green and upscale, very expensive though. Stanford's salary and bonuses are among the highest and most generous I've seen anywhere. Probably offset the high cost of living. Would probably prefer a big city to Palo Alto though.

5. Northwestern - really more of a location thing, I'd prefer Chicago over Nashville. Heard this is a chill relaxed program as well maybe even more so than Stanford.

6. Vanderbilt - loved the PD. Good clinical training and fellowship matches. Good research opportunities. There is a VA as well as a university hospital. Not the biggest fan of Nashville though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Need help with my top 5! Currently interested in cards with and hopeful for interventionalist one day. Here goes (no particular order):

Penn
Duke
Mayo (rochester)
WashU
Michigan

If anyone could provide insight into ranking these programs, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Great list. Great choices.

I would do:

1. Penn - seems slightly more elite than the others. Program really had no flaws in my eyes. Friendly, warm, and collegial environment. New PD is friendly and seems supportive. Match list is ridiculous and very heterogenous, people seem to go to every region of the country from Penn. Philly is a cool city and is either a positive or neutral in my eyes but not a negative factor.

2. Duke - powerhouse program that provides excellent clinical training. Not a huge fan of Durham but as mentioned earlier will swallow it for that program.

3. Wash U - another historical powerhouse program with excellent fellowship opportunities and training. Just wasn't a big fan of St. Louis. Seemed like a city whose best days have long passed. Although area where residents live was pretty cool (CWE area).

4. Michigan - similar to Wash U, but Ann Arbor wasn't my style. I'm a little old for the college town scene. Not much else to do there. Brutally cold as well.

5. Mayo - if this program was in a more desirable city it would be much more competitive. I loved the program and the faculty there. Very efficient hospital and very supportive with a big emphasis on education. I just literally just can't even with Rochester though, location was an absolute deal breaker for me.

I would do:

1. Penn - seems slightly more elite than the others. Program really had no flaws in my eyes. Friendly, warm, and collegial environment. New PD is friendly and seems supportive. Match list is ridiculous and very heterogenous, people seem to go to every region of the country from Penn. Philly is a cool city and is either a positive or neutral in my eyes but not a negative factor.

2. Duke - powerhouse program that provides excellent clinical training. Not a huge fan of Durham but as mentioned earlier will swallow it for that program.

3. Wash U - another historical powerhouse program with excellent fellowship opportunities and training. Just wasn't a big fan of St. Louis. Seemed like a city whose best days have long passed. Although area where residents live was pretty cool (CWE area).

4. Michigan - similar to Wash U, but Ann Arbor wasn't my style. I'm a little old for the college town scene. Not much else to do there. Brutally cold as well.

5. Mayo - if this program was in a more desirable city it would be much more competitive. I loved the program and the faculty there. Very efficient hospital and very supportive with a big emphasis on education. I just literally just can't even with Rochester though, location was an absolute deal breaker for me.

Thanks for your input man- really appreciate it

The list is fine the way it is. Ultimately Yale, NW, WashU, Vandy, BID, Michigan are my favorite on your list and on a similar tier in terms of national reputation.

My two cents on some of the programs you mentioned...

For Yale, you will work hard and get rigorous training in a supportive environment. Expectations are high. A lot of the hate on Yale on SDN stems from a decade ago when program leadership was different, the match list speaks for itself.

Vandy generally has strong fellowship matches, be careful when interpreting what you might think is a "good" match because often the best fellowship programs may differ from the best IM residencies. Cedars for example is a very strong cardiology fellowship (top 15 in my opinion) and they had two residents match there this year. Their heme onc match is particularly impressive.

Michigan is a great program but I would disagree that it has the clear "best reputation" of the bunch. I think separating the six I mentioned in terms of national reputation would be an exercise in futility.

BID's SDN reputation may lag a bit behind its Harvard siblings but the difference is minor and BID residents do very well for themselves. Don't let that hold you back if you liked the program, the national reputation is strong.

Depends on what you want to do for fellowship, but I would say all four of these programs are similar in terms of overall reputation. Go with your gut and where you would want to live.

Lots of good programs. I liked Stanford, WashU, NW, BID and U of W, the best.

Thank you so much for the thoughtful reply @TAVR2sday! I really appreciate it.

Any thoughts on UChicago vs. Northwestern?

I am a medical student who just finished up on the interview trail. These are just my opinions.

First off, as everyone has mentioned before these are all prestigious programs with excellent academic rep. So at the end of the day you'll be fine no matter what.

If I were you I'd rank them as follows:

1. Brigham - slightly more elite and part of the "big 4", Boston is a good location and the program seems to have a warm and collegial environment. People seem to love it there.

2. Duke - cards powerhouse. Rigorous but excellent clinical training. Residents here work hard and have a bunker mentality but they come out as warrior clinicians who feel like they can handle anything. Durham is a bit of a negative for me but it's not terrible and I'd swallow it for a program of Duke's caliber.

3. UTSW - another Duke style rigorous training environment that produces excellent clinicians. Strong cards fellowship matches. Circulation moved there. Dallas is actually an awesome city that's growing a lot.

4. Stanford - got the impression it was a little more chill and relaxed there. Residents still claim they get good clinical training and volume. Cards matches are very good. 3 hospital system which I liked. Sort of a side note but Abraham Verghese is faculty there and he does some teaching with the students and residents, im a huge fan of his work. Palo Alto seemed like a nice place to live, very green and upscale, very expensive though. Stanford's salary and bonuses are among the highest and most generous I've seen anywhere. Probably offset the high cost of living. Would probably prefer a big city to Palo Alto though.

5. Northwestern - really more of a location thing, I'd prefer Chicago over Nashville. Heard this is a chill relaxed program as well maybe even more so than Stanford.

6. Vanderbilt - loved the PD. Good clinical training and fellowship matches. Good research opportunities. There is a VA as well as a university hospital. Not the biggest fan of Nashville though.

Agree for the most part with @TaylorMade10. I would put Duke (and maybe Stanford) in a similar class to Brigham. Duke has the strongest cards of the bunch. UTSW, NW and Vandy in that next tier.

I would do:

Again, agree for the most part but I put Duke and Penn on the same level for IM training. Duke cards match list is bonkers. Just a question of location.

NW has a slim edge over U Chicago, in my opinion.

Which of the two kentucky programs has a better reputation in terms of fellowship match and overall resident experience? Looking to see which should be ranked higher.
I got a much better feel at UK both from the residents and from the program director. I felt UK was overall nicer. Louisville does have a reputation of pumping out fellowship bound residents so there's that. I don't know how big of a difference going to UK vs. Louisville would make in that area. Would be curious to hear other opinions.

Reactions: 1 users
I think TAVR2sday has this spot on. I would put BWH/Stanford/maybe Duke in a similar class, particularly for Cardiology, NW/Vandy/UTSW just behind -- location and gut feel should probably be the biggest determinant within these groups. Agree re: Duke/Penn being in a similar class. I would give a substantial edge to NW over U Chicago for the Chicago programs.

Good luck everyone!

Agree for the most part with @TaylorMade10. I would put Duke (and maybe Stanford) in a similar class to Brigham. Duke has the strongest cards of the bunch. UTSW, NW and Vandy in that next tier.

Again, agree for the most part but I put Duke and Penn on the same level for IM training. Duke cards match list is bonkers. Just a question of location.

NW has a slim edge over U Chicago, in my opinion.

@shnitzelmang, no problem bro, happy to provide my opinion. I know this can be a confusing and uncertain time for all of us (including myself). Also congratulations on kicking a*$ and getting those interviews, you should feel proud man.

I would put NW over UChicago but not by very much. I think both are strong and people seem to love Chicago so location is a plus for both programs. I do hear Chicago gets wicked cold though...lol

Want cards fellowship, strong desire to return to California, especially Northern California

1. UC Davis
2. USC
3. Scripps Green
4. Cedars Sinai
5. Harbor-UCLA
6. Olive View
7. CPMC
8. Kaiser Oakland

Aside from my current #1 and 2, the rest is just kinda thrown up there. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Hey guys, first time poster here. I'm looking for your opinions on my top choices right now. I want to do GI and am looking for a program with a good reputation and GI matches. These 6 places all seemed like a good fit in terms of meshing with residents but I'm hoping for some other opinions. Geographical location does not matter to me. Thanks in advance!

Programs in no particular order:
-Dartmouth
-Mayo
-University of Minnesota
-University of Wisconsin
-UTSW
-Utah

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, first time poster here. I'm looking for your opinions on my top choices right now. I want to do GI and am looking for a program with a good reputation and GI matches. These 6 places all seemed like a good fit in terms of meshing with residents but I'm hoping for some other opinions. Geographical location does not matter to me. Thanks in advance!

-Dartmouth
-Mayo
-University of Minnesota
-University of Wisconsin
-UTSW
-Utah

I think UTSW should be in top 3 without a doubt.

My ordering wasn't meant to be how I'm ranking them. I'm still trying to rank these 6 places.
Any opinions on the other programs?

If I were in your shoes,
1. Mayo (if MN)
2. UTSW
3. Wisconsin
4. Dart/Minn/Utah

Provided location isn't a factor and GI is your goal.

Last edited:

-Dartmouth
-Mayo
-University of Minnesota
-University of Wisconsin
-UTSW
-Utah

UTSW would be my #1, then Mayo/Wisconsin

-Dartmouth
-Mayo
-University of Minnesota
-University of Wisconsin
-UTSW
-Utah

Agree with what has been said prior.

UTSW and Mayo are standouts. I would put UTSW #1 easy due to reputation, fellowship matches, and location. I'd probably put Mayo #2 and then Wisconsin #3. I don't know much about the other programs so cannot comment.

We're talking about residency here so the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools has no bearing on that. that would be the ACGME

My mistake! I should have read more of the thread before commenting.

Last edited:
Hey, everybody. Here's my list. Please have in mind that I need a visa! Interested in PPCM or Cards.

1) WashU (definitely liked it the most, but only sponsors J-1 visas, so maybe a bad idea to rank it #1?)
2) Mayo
vs
3) BU (better location than Mayo, might have better clinical training, but less research opportunities?)
4) University of Miami
5) UConn
6) University of New Mexico
7) St Luke's Roosevelt (Should I rank this program, Einstein and Jacobi higher than UConn and UNM?)
8) Einstein Philly
9) Jacobi
10) Hennepin County Medical Center
11) Cook County John Stroger
12) Pennsylvania Hospital of UPenn (should I rank this higher? Liked the program and the location)
13) Norwalk Hospital (Yale affiliated)
14) Bridgeport Hospital (Yale affiliated)

What an interesting list, but typical of a strong FMG. I would rank exactly the way you have it and hope I don't drop below top 5. Although I despise STL, WashU undoubtedly merits the #1 spot.

Reactions: 1 user

But that's for the UG institution and accredited by someone other than the ACGME?

Edit: In response to the comment about UL accreditation.

Hey, everybody. Here's my list. Please have in mind that I need a visa! Interested in PPCM or Cards.

1) WashU (definitely liked it the most, but only sponsors J-1 visas, so maybe a bad idea to rank it #1?)
2) Mayo
vs
3) BU (better location than Mayo, might have better clinical training, but less research opportunities?)
4) University of Miami
5) UConn
6) University of New Mexico
7) St Luke's Roosevelt (Should I rank this program, Einstein and Jacobi higher than UConn and UNM?)
8) Einstein Philly
9) Jacobi
10) Hennepin County Medical Center
11) Cook County John Stroger
12) Pennsylvania Hospital of UPenn (should I rank this higher? Liked the program and the location)
13) Norwalk Hospital (Yale affiliated)
14) Bridgeport Hospital (Yale affiliated)

BU > Mayo for sure, especially for PCCM.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

any thoughts in ranking UTSW, UVA UAB, NYU, Baylor and Emory? I want best training but i am not sure if i would need to go to a malignant place to do that.

any thoughts in ranking UTSW, UVA UAB, NYU, Baylor and Emory? I want best training but i am not sure if i would need to go to a malignant place to do that.

I'd rank them:

1. UTSW - easy first choice. Higher tier than the others. It is a hard working, rigorous program but not malignant in my opinion.

2. NYU - Bellevue is great and provides excellent patient volume and clinical training. NYC is a good location for some applicants (single, mid twenties, etc) but not for everyone. For me at least, NYC > ATL.

3. Emory - prestigious program. Grady is a large county hospital that provides excellent training and patient volume. Atlanta is a pretty good location. However this program may be legit borderline malignant in terms of how residents and medical students are treated.

4. Baylor - UAB may be slightly more prestigious but Houston > Birmingham. The Texas medical center is pretty impressive (biggest medical center in the world).

5. UAB - great program, not sure about Birmingham.

6. UVA - I know nothing about this program so can't comment.

Gotcha haha. I wonder if that does have any barring though on the hospital however :/

The ACGME is the governing body when it comes to accreditation of residency programs. That link should have no bearing on the operation of Louisville's hospital and its residency programs

The ACGME is the governing body when it comes to accreditation of residency programs. That link should have no bearing on the operation of Louisville's hospital and its residency programs

Right I mean as a whole since the hospital sports the university's name.

I'd rank them:

1. UTSW - easy first choice. Higher tier than the others. It is a hard working, rigorous program but not malignant in my opinion.

2. NYU - Bellevue is great and provides excellent patient volume and clinical training. NYC is a good location for some applicants (single, mid twenties, etc) but not for everyone. For me at least, NYC > ATL.

3. Emory - prestigious program. Grady is a large county hospital that provides excellent training and patient volume. Atlanta is a pretty good location. However this program may be legit borderline malignant in terms of how residents and medical students are treated.

4. Baylor - UAB may be slightly more prestigious but Houston > Birmingham. The Texas medical center is pretty impressive (biggest medical center in the world).

5. UAB - great program, not sure about Birmingham.

6. UVA - I know nothing about this program so can't comment.

Agree with above.
UTSW
NYU
Emory
The rest

UTSW
UAB
UVA/Baylor/NYU
Emory

UTSW is not a higher tier than Emory or NYU. One caveat of UTSW is their fellowship match which imo is worse than Emory or NYU. However that is likely driven by a large part by their residents preferring to stay in the south west.

UTSW is not a higher tier than Emory or NYU. One caveat of UTSW is their fellowship match which imo is worse than Emory or NYU. However that is likely driven by a large part by their residents preferring to stay in the south west.

IMO, UTSW by far the strongest (I am not a resident there), then NYU, then UAB vs Emory, then UVA vs Baylor. Heard some whisper that Emory may not be the nicest place to train, but these things may be wrong.

Hey everyone,

Interested in GI or maybe heme/onc. I am married with 2 children so location and family friendliness are important factors along with strong clinical training. I want to work hard and learn as much as possible while still having at least some time to spend with my family. Right now I have:

1. UVA - loved the program, felt like there was great fit here and strong clinical training and fellowship match. Charlottesville seemed great and really livable and affordable especially for a family like mine. Program size wasn't as big as some others which is a plus.
2. Duke - also loved the program and people. Outstanding training and reputation with tons of research opportunities to get me into GI. Durham even more affordable than Charlottesville. Seems like you would work harder here than UVA, but that's just my impression.
3. UW - program seemed excellent, loved the residents. My one reservation with the program itself is the size, even the faculty I interviewed with readily admitted to this as being a problem when seeking mentorship. My significant other's parents live about an hour away from Seattle so that is a huge draw. My main issue with this choice is it seems like living in Seattle is expensive and difficult, especially for those with children. I also don't love the gray and rainy weather.
4. UNC
5. Vanderbilt
6. Emory

So my question is am I crazy for putting UVA above the others? I know you should go with your gut but all these programs felt fantastic and Duke and UW seem to have better reputations which would help for getting into a competitive fellowship like GI. However the fit at UVA just felt slightly better for my family. Thanks for your help!

Thoughts?
Not sure what I want after Residency...maybe Pulm/CCM, cards, GI

1 MCW
2 U Nebraska
3 U Kentucky
4 U Conn
5 U Tennessee Knoxville
6 Creighton
7 Drexel
8 LSU Baton Rouge
9 WVU
10 Va Tech Carilion Clinic

Really torn between my 1, 2, and 3...

I'm hoping it doesn't matter much after that...any help much appreciated.
Thanks

Would love to hear your input. Will not be going into cards or GI. Possibly a less competitive fellowship such as rheum, may do pulm/cc or hospitalist/PCP. Current ROL:

1. Houston Methodist
2. University of Louisville
3. Medical College of GA
4. UTMB
5. Legacy Emmanuel
6. Albert Einstein PA
7. UF Jacksonville

TY :)

Hey everyone,

Interested in GI or maybe heme/onc. I am married with 2 children so location and family friendliness are important factors along with strong clinical training. I want to work hard and learn as much as possible while still having at least some time to spend with my family. Right now I have:

1. UVA - loved the program, felt like there was great fit here and strong clinical training and fellowship match. Charlottesville seemed great and really livable and affordable especially for a family like mine. Program size wasn't as big as some others which is a plus.
2. Duke - also loved the program and people. Outstanding training and reputation with tons of research opportunities to get me into GI. Durham even more affordable than Charlottesville. Seems like you would work harder here than UVA, but that's just my impression.
3. UW - program seemed excellent, loved the residents. My one reservation with the program itself is the size, even the faculty I interviewed with readily admitted to this as being a problem when seeking mentorship. My significant other's parents live about an hour away from Seattle so that is a huge draw. My main issue with this choice is it seems like living in Seattle is expensive and difficult, especially for those with children. I also don't love the gray and rainy weather.
4. UNC
5. Vanderbilt
6. Emory

So my question is am I crazy for putting UVA above the others? I know you should go with your gut but all these programs felt fantastic and Duke and UW seem to have better reputations which would help for getting into a competitive fellowship like GI. However the fit at UVA just felt slightly better for my family. Thanks for your help!

How could you be crazy going with your gut? UVA is an excellent program that is not going to limit you from accomplishing your end goals. This thread confuses me because so much of what is discussed is purely from a prestige stand point. If you felt the best at UVA, especially if it is the best fit for your family, then absolutely keep it at #1.

Also the program size thing is a big deal - do what feels best for you. And side note: congrats on an amazing interview season.. you've got fantastic options.

It's not how most people would rank them but "crazy"? You'll surely match into GI out of UVa, most likely somewhere very good as you're obviously a very capable guy. Look at their fellowship match list (I'm looking at it right now); GI is second only to Cards in # matched.

Just be sure about your choice because if you rank UVa #1 I think you're very very likely to match there; in particular, get your wife's input and take it very seriously.

Reactions: 1 users
Cleveland Clinic (don't know if I'm treating this program unfairly but I got a super weird vibe from my interview day)
Maine

Same, at the "Meet n Greet" and the interview day itself. Heck even the interviews were very strange. Something felt very off. Combination of weird impressions made me put it lower on my list.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Same, at the "Meet n Greet" and the interview day itself. Heck even the interviews were very strange. Something felt very off. Combination of weird impressions made me put it lower on my list.

Dude thanks for saying that. I thought it was just me.

Want cards fellowship, strong desire to return to California, especially Northern California

1. UC Davis
2. USC
3. Scripps Green
4. Cedars Sinai
5. Harbor-UCLA
6. Olive View
7. CPMC
8. Kaiser Oakland

Aside from my current #1 and 2, the rest is just kinda thrown up there. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Anyone?

I'm kind of stuck with my list. I'm more interested in PC, maybe fellowship in GIM, geri, palliative, or rheum. As such, I applied to a lot of PC and categorical programs. Any input would be much appreciated.

Top choices: Yale PC/Cornell PC/UPenn PC > Mt. Sinai PC.
Other: BMC PC, Rochester PC

Lower: Yale cat, Cornell cat, Upenn cat, Mt. Sinai cat, Monte cat, BMC cat, Rochester cat
Jefferson, Brown (wish they were X+Y), LIJ

Cleveland Clinic (don't know if I'm treating this program unfairly but I got a super weird vibe from my interview day)

me too.Felt weird there.the holiday greeting email was outrightly creepy...(rank us because cleveland Browns won the first game :) , LeBron is our patient etc...)and someone told me that they tend to misrepresent fellowship data... like trying to pass matches in affiliates as matches in main campus. I don't remember which ones exactly did they misrepresent on the website , but just to illustrate someone trying to pass NYP-Queens campus as Cornell or fresno as ucsf. I am not sure if it is an innocent error or a desperate attempt to impress applicants.considering the fact that their fellowship match is not bad and comparable to a mid-tier university program , I don't know why they came off as so desperate. maybe they should try tinder instead of NRMP.

Hello out there. I know you're all probably tired of answering questions but I would love help with my rank list or general advice for applicants with kids.

I want to do adolescent medicine or GIM fellowship -> academic career with strong health policy interest. #1 priority is strong training, close #2 is family friendly / close to family, #3 is opportunities for underserved medicine and health policy
My support system is in Baltimore. If I don't end up in Baltimore for residency, I want to match into fellowship in Baltimore. At the start of this process, I thought I would only rank mid-atlantic programs. However, at the urging of my husband, I interviewed all over and liked many programs more than some Baltimore/DC ones.

1. Hopkins

2 -4?: loved all these programs
MGH - husband has job in Boston but it's so expensive / not a family friendly city
Michigan - great reputation, in-laws live nearby, family friendly but not much to offer in underserved medicine / health policy. Far from home.
Duke - the residents talked a lot about how much they worked and this was not a theme at other programs. Family friendly city.

5-9?
Miami - liked a lot and have some family in FL, good climate, fun residents, but is this the same tier as my other options?
Baylor - absolutely loved but I don't know if it's worth moving to Houston for
Univ Chicago - liked a lot, has great underserved training and healthy policy but very far from Baltimore
Yale - liked and family friendly, but not super easy to get to and didn't feel like a perfect fit
Brown - liked but I've lived in Providence and I don't really want to move back

U Rochester - too far, too cold

I don't know where to put GW, UVA, Georgetown, University of Maryland. They are all close to my support system which is huge but they either didn't feel like great fits or I don't know enough about the strength of their training / reputation

GW: liked a lot but not sure of the caliber of training
Univ of MD: training is probably strong but I did not get a good feeling on my interview day, which was disappointing as I thought this would be my #2
Georgetown: I thought it was fine, did not stand out
UVA: certainly strong training, family friendly city, driving distance to Baltimore, got a good vibe but didn't meet many residents with kids

Hey! Would really appreciate your thoughts on the top of my list. No real geographic preference and no significant other. Hoping to get a good clinical training. Interested in Cards, probably academic medicine (hopefully something like 70%clinical/30%research).

Mayo Rochester - Liked the program and the PD. Great resources and lots of time to do research. A chance to work with leaders in almost every field. Everybody seems very happy. Had some reservations about the clinical experience though. Looks like it isn't as busy as an academic program should probably be. Not super excited about Rochester, but could definitely survive. Will be great for fellowship prospects.

OHSU - Loved this program and Portland. Got along really well with the residents and especially the PD. Looks like the clinical training is solid. Liked the 3+1 structure system. Not as "prestigious" as Mayo and won't get as much time for research, which might be reflected in the fellowship matches.

Temple - Liked this program too, but it seems really busy. I don't mind being busy, but looking towards fellowship I don't know how much time I would have to dedicate to research. I also didn't get along as well with the residents, especially during the dinner. The leadership seemed very dedicated but it is very new. Philly was great though.

My big question is would I be crazy to rank Mayo below any of these 2?

As I mentioned I definitely would like to be proficient clinically by the end of residency. Would going to Mayo be that detrimental to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.