Official 2016-2017 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LymFo_maniak

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Future Hematologists, Oncologists and Trans-planters !!!

Here we begin this year's ordeal !!!

Good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for starting this thread..

Best of luck everyone. As someone who has been through this recently get your apps in early because interviews start rolling out as soon as a week after the applications can be submitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi GutOnc and all,

I have my PD's LOR and 2 other amazing letters. Wondering if it's worth to add another one to the package. I actually asked a world known professor from an IVY league university to write me one. We worked together for one month and I wrote a review article with him. But I am not sure how good it will be. He replied within 2 hours after my request saying he would do it. So my question is, is it better to play safe and just use the 2 lor + pd, as I know those will be very good, or should I go ahead and add another lor even if I am not 100% sure it will be good.

Best

Hi GutOnc and all,

I have my PD's LOR and 2 other amazing letters. Wondering if it's worth to add another one to the package. I actually asked a world known professor from an IVY league university to write me one. We worked together for one month and I wrote a review article with him. But I am not sure how good it will be. He replied within 2 hours after my request saying he would do it. So my question is, is it better to play safe and just use the 2 lor + pd, as I know those will be very good, or should I go ahead and add another lor even if I am not 100% sure it will be good.

Best
If this person has a legitimate way to evaluate you, and he will write you a great letter (that is of course how you asked, right? "Hey Dr. Famous Ivy League Professor, would you be willing to write me a great LOR?") then go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Chalk this up to application season neuroses, but interviewers won't expect you to know intimate details of manuscripts you co-authored >5 years ago, right?

I'm debating keeping some pubs off so it wouldn't be fair game, but I feel that if I can cogently explain the overarching theme of the manuscript and my role, that should be enough for non heme/onc manuscripts... right?

Chalk this up to application season neuroses, but interviewers won't expect you to know intimate details of manuscripts you co-authored >5 years ago, right?

I'm debating keeping some pubs off so it wouldn't be fair game, but I feel that if I can cogently explain the overarching theme of the manuscript and my role, that should be enough for non heme/onc manuscripts... right?
Don't leave them off. I put every applicant with pubs into PubMed to make sure they're not lying. If you put some in, but leave some out, and I search you in PubMed, the only thing I'm going to ask about is why you left that stuff off. And the fact that you lied (by ommission) on your app is all that I'm going to remember about you.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't leave them off. I put every applicant with pubs into PubMed to make sure they're not lying. If you put some in, but leave some out, and I search you in PubMed, the only thing I'm going to ask about is why you left that stuff off. And the fact that you lied (by ommission) on your app is all that I'm going to remember about you.
Fair enough. Didn't consider it lying, but I can see how one could perceive it that way. All in. Thanks

How should asco/ash abstracts be represented on the application? Also I've opened up eras but haven't spent time going through the sections. How can you represent articles and abstracts that have been submitted but not yet accepted? Thanks!

In general, I didn't get asked too many crazy specifics on my prior publications when I interviewed except for at one place and it got a little intense. YMMV, if you run into a faculty member who happens to be well versed in your area of research, I could see them asking a lot of questions. Also agree, if it's on PubMed just list it and read it over again if it's been a few years so you can answer questions reasonably.

Hello Hematologist, Excuse me if my Questions seem odd but how I can list publications on PubMed.. thanks

Hi Guys,

So I was curious to know what you think about the importance of the LORs. Is it better to apply with 4 lors instead of 3? And how important is a LOR in a application? Can it change a applicant status from "ok to match here" to "he needs match here"?

Hi Guys,

So I was curious to know what you think about the importance of the LORs. Is it better to apply with 4 lors instead of 3? And how important is a LOR in a application? Can it change a applicant status from "ok to match here" to "he needs match here"?
Yes, and yes. But plenty of people match with 3 LORs that are kind of mediocre.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, and yes. But plenty of people match with 3 LORs that are kind of mediocre.

Does that include the program letter? Ie should we have 3 letters + program letter or 4 + program letter

What program is more competitive Georgetown University Hospital/Washington Hospital Center Program or Georgetown University Hospital Program.
I am confused, since they are both from georgetown.

What program is more competitive Georgetown University Hospital/Washington Hospital Center Program or Georgetown University Hospital Program.
I am confused, since they are both from georgetown.

Georgetown University Hospital Program.

Hi Dr. Gutonc,

Do you know if ohsu still filter out every applicant that needs a visa?

Thanks in advance

I want to go into academics, likely malignant hematology, solid tumor phase I is a distant second.
What are some university programs I should avoid applying to?

I have heard bad things about UCLA.
Rush doesn't have anything on their website.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi,
I am trying to arrange my clinic schedule for sep and october and I was wondering which weekday do programs typically interview?
thanks

How would you say NHLBI compares to other top fellowships like DFCI for someone who eventually wants to do 80% basic/translational science physician scientist?
Thanks

Since the programs start receiving applications on the 15th, is there a benefit to applying on the 6th of July vs sometime before the 15th of July? I am waiting for a LOR to be uploaded and was wondering if applying say on the 12th would mean that the programs will receive my application later than everyone else? Thank you for starting this thread and good luck to everyone!

Since the programs start receiving applications on the 15th, is there a benefit to applying on the 6th of July vs sometime before the 15th of July? I am waiting for a LOR to be uploaded and was wondering if applying say on the 12th would mean that the programs will receive my application later than everyone else? Thank you for starting this thread and good luck to everyone!

No they download in batches. I would be confident that any submitted before the 15th will be in the first download batch. Best of luck.

Ahhh a beautiful new cycle with beautiful new questions. Exciting.

I am an IMG in a j1 visa with previous training in hematology in my country (not europe) doing residency in a community hospital with a very weak university affiliation. I did several away electives and also have previous strong connections in other top cancer hospitals.

My question is regarding LORs. So, I was planning to use my pd lor and 3 lors from my away electives and previous connections. Two of them are from the top 3 cancer center in US and I am sure are excellent. The other one is from a good university from midwest, will be signed by the director of bmt and will also be very strong. All the LOR writers know me for more than 3 years, worked direct with me for at least one month (actually seeing patients) and were involved in some research projects, nothing fancy, with me.

So my point is, should I discard one of those lors for one of my community hospital hem-onc director? The director of hem onc of my hospital said she would write me a awesome lor. I did several rotations and I also sent two acp posters with her.

My will is to use my pd lor and 3 lors from my electives and connections. What do you guys think?

Gutonc has addressed this before ad nauseum in prior threads but basically you should get a personalized, very supportive and detailed letter from someone as high up the food chain as possible. Big name doctor from top cancer center letter wont be worthwhile if it isnt very informative

Hi Niviancer,

Thanks for the help. Trust me , I read all the threads from this forum, but I still cannot get the answer. I feel that my hem onc director is theoretically the person that programs would think is in best position to evaluate me, but I personally believe the other professors can also do it in a fair way and have a much more impressive title. So that's my dilemma.
Anyway thanks for the reply

Hi Niviancer,

Thanks for the help. Trust me , I read all the threads from this forum, but I still cannot get the answer. I feel that my hem onc director is theoretically the person that programs would think is in best position to evaluate me, but I personally believe the other professors can also do it in a fair way and have a much more impressive title. So that's my dilemma.
Anyway thanks for the reply
Use your PD, the local Hem/Onc PD/Chief and 2 of the away LORs.

Having 75% of your LORs from outside your home program looks sketchy.

Hi everyone,

I am a hospitalist, 2 year out of residency, applying this year. I have done research in a renowned cancer center since end of residency and have 2-3 LoRs from there. 1 will be from the PD of my residency program. Should I get 1 from the Hospitalist Director in my hospital to have at least 2 clinical letters? Otherwise, I have the option of 1 clinical (PD) and 2-3 research letters, am pretty confident they will be strong.

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I am a hospitalist, 2 year out of residency, applying this year. I have done research in a renowned cancer center since end of residency and have 2-3 LoRs from there. 1 will be from the PD of my residency program. Should I get 1 from the Hospitalist Director in my hospital to have at least 2 clinical letters? Otherwise, I have the option of 1 clinical (PD) and 2-3 research letters, am pretty confident they will be strong.

Thanks.
3 clinical and 1 research.

You guys are killing me.

No they download in batches. I would be confident that any submitted before the 15th will be in the first download batch. Best of luck.

Dr. Gutonc or someone elso who knows for sure - - -

I know this question is asked a million times, but con someone definitively answer it with ZERO reservations? It is kind of . . . important. The language on all the ERAS pages / FAQ is super non-specific on this point.

Dr. Gutonc or someone elso who knows for sure - - -

I know this question is asked a million times, but con someone definitively answer it with ZERO reservations? It is kind of . . . important. The language on all the ERAS pages / FAQ is super non-specific on this point.
I can answer with zero reservations.

It totally depends. And you'll never get a definitive answer. And it's really not that important at all.

"And it's really not that important at all."

I am reading this as meaning that June 14th is at least close to equivalent to June 6th. So I will submit June 14th or so. My application is competitive and if you are telling me it isn't a HUGE disadvantage to certify my app later in the week, I will do so to make sure it is complete and polished.

Thanks.

I am reading this as meaning that June 14th is at least close to equivalent to June 6th. So I will submit June 14th or so. My application is competitive and if you are telling me it isn't a HUGE disadvantage to certify my app later in the week, I will do so to make sure it is complete and polished.

Thanks.

? no one cares about your submission date. The questions on this forum thus far are so weird and OCD.

Maybe we can start talking programs soon.

I am wondering if someone can please help in breaking down all the programs into three categories:

A: Top-tier programs
B: Mid-tier programs
C: Low tier programs

Or may be just a list of programs with approximate descending order with the same question in mind.

I totally understand that there is no perfect list but at least getting an idea will be helpful. Please share with us if there is any online resoource helpful in this regards.

Thank you much in anticipation.

Thanks.

Application date questions will go on forever, and I'm hopeful that we will eventually at least stop discussing when programs "download" them.

When was the last time anyone downloaded a web page? Same answer. Ok. Moving on.

Each program out there has an idiosyncratic way of putting applications through their filters. They might run their filter on Friday the 15th, they might run it again on Monday the 18th, or Tuesday the 19th or ....

They will run their filters on the apps, run their 2ndary filters and keep looking at the results until they get enough applications to review in detail. This might happen at the end of a week, two weeks, a month. The only date problem that people will have is if they apply after a program stops looking at initial apps. When is this? Again, idiosyncratic and varies by program. I would guess, conservatively that there is some kind of curve that starts at Time Zero and drops logarithmically over the first 3 weeks. I expect that a few programs are still reviewing new applications a month after ERAS opens, but probably not many.

After having to call ERAS once they told me over the phone that applicants can apply on the 6th now "given the feedback they've received in the past years," however, no programs will be able to download applications until the 15th. Hence if you submitted at midnight on July 14th your application will not be downloaded ahead of the person who applied on the 6th. Moral of the story is that it sounds like best to apply before July 15th at any time you feel comfortable and these applications will be downloaded by the program on the 15th then.

I am wondering if someone can please help in breaking down all the programs into three categories:

A: Top-tier programs
B: Mid-tier programs
C: Low tier programs

Or may be just a list of programs with approximate descending order with the same question in mind.

I totally understand that there is no perfect list but at least getting an idea will be helpful. Please share with us if there is any online resoource helpful in this regards.

Thank you much in anticipation.
ROFLcopter.

How about you give us a list of programs you're interested in, what you want to be when you grow up, and your stats.

Hey guys.
best of luck.
We are all adults..instead of arguing, we need to have faith and do our best.
:)

As already mentioned by previous posters, we are all feeling a bit paranoid at this point. So here goes my questions

Does BLS/ACLS certification matter?

AHA is upgrading their software so I won't be able to renew before applications :(

As already mentioned by previous posters, we are all feeling a bit paranoid at this point. So here goes my questions

Does BLS/ACLS certification matter?

AHA is upgrading their software so I won't be able to renew before applications :(
Not in the least

Hi, I am in a conundrum and I hope some one can guide me. I am an IMG PGY-3 resident in a community-based hospital. I have worked previously as a research fellow for 3 yrs in a top cancer institute doing translational and bench research with good research output including publications in medium to high impact journals. Due to visa restrictions, I will be applying all over the country including in smaller community-based Hem-Onc programs. As I prepare my application for this season, I am fearful that low-tier or even mid-tier programs might not consider my application as a good fit. At the same time, I am also fearful that top programs might just ignore my application because of my residency training in a community hospital and IMG status.
I am not sure what audience I am pitching my application to and who will be more receptive? Any insight will be helpful. Thanks.

pd1/pdl1 ,

Tell us more about you. how many pubs, scores and lors.
But , I guess since you have research experience university programs will be more receptive to you.

droption,
thanks for reply. 8 Oncology pubs (3 as 1st author, all are original articles in translational and bench research (no reviews or meta-analyses or case reports; include pubs in journals with impact factor ranging from 3-35), 6 posters, 2 other pubs but in cardiology at the beginning of career. Scores are decent in 240's and 250's step 1 and 2 respectively. 4 LORS (1 PD, 1 Associate PD, 1 research mentor, and 1 clinical LOR from outside rotation at a reputed institution)

Status
Not open for further replies.