Official 2016-2017 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still not certain about ranking orders for 4 of the program, can somebody give me some advice. Currently in Houston and ok to move out of the city. But if the program is not significantly better, rather stay in town. The order below was randomly listed. Thank you!

Mayo Jacksonville/U Miami Jackson Memorial/Houston Methodist/UT San Antonio

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Still not certain about ranking orders for 4 of the program, can somebody give me some advice. Currently in Houston and ok to move out of the city. But if the program is not significantly better, rather stay in town. The order below was randomly listed.
Nope.

If you can't be bothered to tell us how you would rank the programs, you shouldn't expect any help.

Nope.

If you can't be bothered to tell us how you would rank the programs, you shouldn't expect any help.

Understand gutonc. But actually I am really uncertain and my own ranking order of these programs change every week.

Let me just put

1 u Miami Jackson memorial
2 mayo Jacksonville
3 Houston Methodist
4 UT San Antonio

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

So I was wondering if anyone had any input or thoughts on Winthrop and Lenox Hill programs. I am looking to ultimately be in private practice. Thanks

Understand gutonc. But actually I am really uncertain and my own ranking order of these programs change every week.

Let me just put

2 mayo Jacksonville
3 Houston Methodist
4 UT San Antonio

Thank you

I always thought UTSA was a top program. Why didn't you like it?

Just finished with NIH. Way to large for its own goodm the research potential is vast but they essentially follow protocols for everything. If you want to go into private practice don't bother. The infrastructure is just not set up to accommodate this.

Any thoughts on my tentative rank list? Interested in solids and clinical/translational research. Mostly ranking on geographic preferences and gut feeling, want to go to the NYC area but not at the expense of academic opportunities.

1. MSKCC
2. Columbia
3. Yale
4. Penn
5. UCSF
6. Stanford
7. BIDMC
8. Fox Chase
9. Cornell
10. MSSM

Let me just put

2 mayo Jacksonville
3 Houston Methodist
4 UT San Antonio

Thank you
I would flip that list completely upside down...and then put Miami above Miracle Whip.

Any thoughts on my tentative rank list? Interested in solids and clinical/translational research. Mostly ranking on geographic preferences and gut feeling, want to go to the NYC area but not at the expense of academic opportunities.

1. MSKCC
2. Columbia
3. Yale
4. Penn
5. UCSF
6. Stanford
7. BIDMC
8. Fox Chase
9. Cornell
10. MSSM
With a list like that, make sure you're set on your #1.

I would swap Yale and MSSM personally, but if you really liked it there, no harm/no foul.

You're not going to miss out on any academic opportunities at any of those places.

1. MSKCC
2. Columbia
3. Yale
4. Penn
5. UCSF
6. Stanford
7. BIDMC
8. Fox Chase
9. Cornell
10. MSSM

you can go to any of these places and you'll be just fine

Rank Order List Advice Seeker...

Personal Preferences:
- Solid tumor oncology, interested in junior faculty position. Willing to pick up a 4th year for extra work/instructor or to include master's degree if it will help career.
- Warm > Cold
- City > Small town

1. NIH/NCI. Yes, research heavy with weaker clinical focus. Interested in clinical trials and FDA and Washington is a city with things going on.
2/3. WashU vs Vanderbilt. Any suggestions? I thought the interview day at WashU was the strongest I saw and their faculty and education were excellent. The weakness is St. Louis, although it is cheap to live there. I liked the job itself slightly more than Vanderbilt's, but I liked Nashville better than St. Louis and I hear that Vanderbilt is the better pick for solid tumor focus. Having a hard time between these two, especially when I was advised to put them first.
4. UC San Diego. Expensive but beautiful. Great quality of life. Nice facilities. I thought the fellows were really sharp.
5. UC San Francisco. Crazy expensive, interesting city with great research. Clinically spread across multiple sites around town making getting to work difficult. I know UCSF is the more prestigious name but I think UCSD is the better fit.
6. UT Southwestern. Yes, clinically demanding but the hospitals are all brand new and I like southern cities. I feel like it is strong enough, despite having some stronger options listed below.
7. University of Pittsburgh. Similar to WashU and Vanderbilt but maybe a hair below. Still an excellent place, more academic than UTSW but I vastly prefer Dallas.
8. Yale. Really excellent program, I was impressed by the teaching, but I think that living in New Haven as a single young person would be very difficult. It's also very cold. Very very cold.
9. Icahn Mt. Sinai. A good NY program. I think if you are set on being in Manhattan it's great, but cost of living is prohibitive of enjoying much of NY when you are priced out by finance money.
10. Indiana. Strong teaching, solid midwestern program. The home of Larry Einhorn and testicular cancer. I really liked the program, living in Indianapolis is okay... another rust belt city.
11. MUSC. Charleston is beautiful. I liked the program at Indiana better, but Charleston is a much better place to live. Considering swapping Indiana and MUSC.
12. U Florida. Love sunshine and warm weather, but Gainesville is tough as a single person, and the program was okay.
13. Wake Forest. Clinically focused. Another fine place, very small town southern.

I am left feeling that this process is extremely regional for programs and applicants. As most applicants are anywhere from late 20s to mid 30s, the vast majority are married/partnered and possibly with children, and these look to play a large role in the process. Smaller towns appear better for married with children. Better day care and schools, easier life. Bigger city programs seem to attract like minded individuals. The more prestigious programs may find it easier to attract applicants whose geographic and personal preferences are not in line with what they offer due to their pedigree. Also aside from very unique places like the NCI or the more prestigious programs, most places seem like they offer similar career options.

I grapple with the Vanderbilt vs WashU question, as well as whether or not to rank NIH first ahead of those two, or third behind them.
Also the UCSD vs UCSF issue. If you have any strong thoughts on my list or those issues, please advise.

Gainesville will not be that tough as a single person. A single doctor no less.

Reactions: 1 user
I grapple with the Vanderbilt vs WashU question, as well as whether or not to rank NIH first ahead of those two, or third behind them. Also the UCSD vs UCSF issue. If you have any strong thoughts on my list or those issues, please advise.
I don't think there's a huge problem with the way you have your list. You're well aware of the issues with the NIH program so it's not like you're going to be blindsided by it when you get there.

You're right about Vandy being a better solid tumor place than WashU, but they've got plenty of that in St. Louis too.

If it were my list, Pitt would be much higher up on the list, but, again, no harm in where it is now.

You're also right about the UCSF/UCSD thing. UCSF is the "stronger" program but UCSD is no slouch. Add the fact that you have so many different clinical sites and a completely insane COL in SF (not that SD is cheap) and it's hard not to drop it down, but all for non-clinical/academic reasons.

How's that for a lengthy non-answer, answer?

TL;DR - leave it the way it is and you'll be fine. Be very certain about your Top 3.

Members don't see this ad :)

Personal Preferences:
- Solid tumor oncology, interested in junior faculty position. Willing to pick up a 4th year for extra work/instructor or to include master's degree if it will help career.
- Warm > Cold
- City > Small town

1. NIH/NCI. Yes, research heavy with weaker clinical focus. Interested in clinical trials and FDA and Washington is a city with things going on.
2/3. WashU vs Vanderbilt. Any suggestions? I thought the interview day at WashU was the strongest I saw and their faculty and education were excellent. The weakness is St. Louis, although it is cheap to live there. I liked the job itself slightly more than Vanderbilt's, but I liked Nashville better than St. Louis and I hear that Vanderbilt is the better pick for solid tumor focus. Having a hard time between these two, especially when I was advised to put them first.
4. UC San Diego. Expensive but beautiful. Great quality of life. Nice facilities. I thought the fellows were really sharp.
5. UC San Francisco. Crazy expensive, interesting city with great research. Clinically spread across multiple sites around town making getting to work difficult. I know UCSF is the more prestigious name but I think UCSD is the better fit.
6. UT Southwestern. Yes, clinically demanding but the hospitals are all brand new and I like southern cities. I feel like it is strong enough, despite having some stronger options listed below.
7. University of Pittsburgh. Similar to WashU and Vanderbilt but maybe a hair below. Still an excellent place, more academic than UTSW but I vastly prefer Dallas.
8. Yale. Really excellent program, I was impressed by the teaching, but I think that living in New Haven as a single young person would be very difficult. It's also very cold. Very very cold.
9. Icahn Mt. Sinai. A good NY program. I think if you are set on being in Manhattan it's great, but cost of living is prohibitive of enjoying much of NY when you are priced out by finance money.
10. Indiana. Strong teaching, solid midwestern program. The home of Larry Einhorn and testicular cancer. I really liked the program, living in Indianapolis is okay... another rust belt city.
11. MUSC. Charleston is beautiful. I liked the program at Indiana better, but Charleston is a much better place to live. Considering swapping Indiana and MUSC.
12. U Florida. Love sunshine and warm weather, but Gainesville is tough as a single person, and the program was okay.
13. Wake Forest. Clinically focused. Another fine place, very small town southern.

I am left feeling that this process is extremely regional for programs and applicants. As most applicants are anywhere from late 20s to mid 30s, the vast majority are married/partnered and possibly with children, and these look to play a large role in the process. Smaller towns appear better for married with children. Better day care and schools, easier life. Bigger city programs seem to attract like minded individuals. The more prestigious programs may find it easier to attract applicants whose geographic and personal preferences are not in line with what they offer due to their pedigree. Also aside from very unique places like the NCI or the more prestigious programs, most places seem like they offer similar career options.

I grapple with the Vanderbilt vs WashU question, as well as whether or not to rank NIH first ahead of those two, or third behind them.
Also the UCSD vs UCSF issue. If you have any strong thoughts on my list or those issues, please advise.

It's a very decent list... personally I would also put UCSD above UCSF for the exact same reasons... Nashville >> St. Louis but when I interviewed I felt that WashU had a slightly better academic feel than Vandy ... The PD at Vandy was amazing though. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over ranking those two. I think both should be above USCD unless you have a strong preference to move west.

I haven't heard the best feedback from my ex co-residents who did their fellowship at UPMC.

I'm always nervous when I see NIH ranked #1. I'm sure you've done your homework already, but please be extra confident about this one. You're committing yourself to a special kind of career which if you change your mind about later (which happens way more often that you think), it's kind of a bummer.

The NIH's uniqueness is what makes is simultaneously so interesting, but also risky as you say. I consider it the legal equivalent between coming out of law school and working at a white shoe firm in Manhattan versus the Department of Justice. The career DOJ people get to work on some of the most interesting cases at a very high level. But unsure if that will translate into performance in the big law world if and when they transition out. My personal plan to deal with this issue is to take advantage of the commonly offered 4th year so I have the time to beef up clinical training with extra clinic and still have the time to invest in research opportunities. I was a non-traditional applicant for medical school and am interested in economics and government, and I am hoping that the NIH rotations through the FDA would allow me to marry those interests. Am I making a mistake?

Hi,

I've been following this thread since the beginning and I find it very helpful. For someone interested in malignant heme and transnational research, how would you rank the following programs:

- Vanderbilt
- University of Chicago
- Cornell
- Columbia
- OSU

would ranking any of these as a first choice make or break a career in academia? I appreciate your input!

The NIH's uniqueness is what makes is simultaneously so interesting, but also risky as you say. I consider it the legal equivalent between coming out of law school and working at a white shoe firm in Manhattan versus the Department of Justice. The career DOJ people get to work on some of the most interesting cases at a very high level. But unsure if that will translate into performance in the big law world if and when they transition out. My personal plan to deal with this issue is to take advantage of the commonly offered 4th year so I have the time to beef up clinical training with extra clinic and still have the time to invest in research opportunities. I was a non-traditional applicant for medical school and am interested in economics and government, and I am hoping that the NIH rotations through the FDA would allow me to marry those interests. Am I making a mistake?

no. it seems like you know what to expect there.

Hi,

I've been following this thread since the beginning and I find it very helpful. For someone interested in malignant heme and transnational research, how would you rank the following programs:

- Vanderbilt
- University of Chicago
- Cornell
- Columbia
- OSU

would ranking any of these as a first choice make or break a career in academia? I appreciate your input!

Again ... is this how you have them ranked or is it a random list for us to rank for you?

Again ... is this how you have them ranked or is it a random list for us to rank for you?

its a random list, knowing that Cornell/Columbia and u of Chicago would mean separation from family in my situation.

Well then tell us how you would rank them.
I'm having a very hard time ranking because of multiple issues with location. I would put vandy first based on geography but I'm not sure about the strength of their malignant heme research.
This is how I would rank them based on location relating to my situation:
vandy
osu
cronell
columbia
u of chicago

I'm having a very hard time ranking because of multiple issues with location. I would put vandy first based on geography but I'm not sure about the strength of their malignant heme research.
This is how I would rank them based on location relating to my situation:
vandy
osu
cronell
columbia
u of chicago
I think you're smart enough based on your choices to realize that you are delusional if you think going to Vanderbilt with an interest in malignant heme will be detrimental to your future career. If there's a lot of research going on, you can jump in. If there isn't, you have the tools to get it started. I personally know a fellow who did an extra year in AML research there so I know it exists.

I think you're smart enough based on your choices to realize that you are delusional if you think going to Vanderbilt with an interest in malignant heme will be detrimental to your future career. If there's a lot of research going on, you can jump in. If there isn't, you have the tools to get it started. I personally know a fellow who did an extra year in AML research there so I know it exists.

Thanks, point taken! appreciate your response.

Thanks, point taken! appreciate your response.

I spent a month at vandy as a resident doing malignant heme and I did three half days of solid tumor clinics in the afternoon. It was a great experience and was ultimately #2 on my list because of couples matching and slight geographical preference. The malignant heme attendings I worked with there were great. The city is great. Can't go wrong. I'm at a relatively nearby NCCN center and have all the opportunities I want and vandy definitely has the same opportunities.

Hi all,
I am restricted to NYC for personal reasons. I am torn between Cornell and Columbia. I like them both a lot but I feel each have different advantages and disadvantages. Appreciate any advice.

Columbia-
I like the ability to single board and not have to do so much benign heme.
The overall name of the institution is stronger and it is a CCC
It probably competes less with MSKCC and its patient population is quite different
More outpatient time in year 1 and continuity clinic is an attending clinic which I like more than a "fellows clinic"
They pitched the program to us as one that is in a "growing phase" and they have been actively recruiting renowned faculty and opening up faculty positions

Major weakness: Small department for the field I am interested in going into

Cornell:
Better location
More established program with strong faculty (especially in the field I am most interested in)
Opportunities to collaborate with MSKCC

Those were my observations from the interviews. I was leaning towards Columbia but some of my mentors are telling me that Cornell is better for my field.

Thanks so much!!

Hi all,
I am restricted to NYC for personal reasons. I am torn between Cornell and Columbia. I like them both a lot but I feel each have different advantages and disadvantages. Appreciate any advice.

Columbia-
I like the ability to single board and not have to do so much benign heme.
The overall name of the institution is stronger and it is a CCC
It probably competes less with MSKCC and its patient population is quite different
More outpatient time in year 1 and continuity clinic is an attending clinic which I like more than a "fellows clinic"
They pitched the program to us as one that is in a "growing phase" and they have been actively recruiting renowned faculty and opening up faculty positions

Major weakness: Small department for the field I am interested in going into

Cornell:
Better location
More established program with strong faculty (especially in the field I am most interested in)
Opportunities to collaborate with MSKCC

Those were my observations from the interviews. I was leaning towards Columbia but some of my mentors are telling me that Cornell is better for my field.

Thanks so much!!

Is your field top secret?

Another rank order list advice seeker
Currently more interested in hem malignancy (~60%), but also open to solid tumor (~40%). Would like to stay in academia, at least for the first few years. No huge geographical preference, but slightly prefer warmer climate. This is my tentative list; any input would be appreciated!

1. U of Minnesota: CCC, very cold
2. U of Maryland: they are now CCC
3. Rutgers-RWJ: CCC
4. Indiana U: NCI
5. NIH
6. Dartmouth: CCC, also cold
7. Roswell Park: NCCN, a lot of snow
8. Medical College of Wisconsin
9. VCU: NCI, nice location
10. U of Kentucky: NCI

Thanks!

Currently more interested in hem malignancy (~60%), but also open to solid tumor (~40%). Would like to stay in academia, at least for the first few years. No huge geographical preference, but slightly prefer warmer climate. This is my tentative list; any input would be appreciated!

5. NIH

Thanks!

This CCC or NCI thing should not play any factor in your ranking.

5. NIH

Thanks!

List seems reasonable. RWJ seems a little high. I personally thought VCU is terrific. I would probably go Minn-Indiana-UMD-VCU. Not sure where NIH really fits

@gutonc and @visari + anyone else w/ opinion. Hoping someone can give me their thoughts on my top choices on my ROL. Interested in an academic career (phase III clinical trials mostly. ) either GI or Lung but have not r/o private practice yet either. Looking for good clinical training w/ good mentorship and productive fellowship.

ROL:
1.) Moffit--> Enjoyed the feel of the program, 10 fellows/year to share call/clinical duties. Part of NCCN network
2.) U Colorado--> Busy first year, but otherwise seems like a lot of free time during 2nd and 3rd years
3.) Emory--> Also busy clinically, but some reputable faculty in lung specifically
4.) Georgetown--> strong GI faculty
5.) UTSW-->Strong Lung faculty. Busiest inpatient service that Ive seen
6.) NIH--> know what I'd be getting with this.

Any opinions on these places would be much appreciated!

@gutonc and @visari + anyone else w/ opinion. Hoping someone can give me their thoughts on my top choices on my ROL. Interested in an academic career (phase III clinical trials mostly. ) either GI or Lung but have not r/o private practice yet either. Looking for good clinical training w/ good mentorship and productive fellowship.

ROL:
1.) Moffit--> Enjoyed the feel of the program, 10 fellows/year to share call/clinical duties. Part of NCCN network
2.) U Colorado--> Busy first year, but otherwise seems like a lot of free time during 2nd and 3rd years
3.) Emory--> Also busy clinically, but some reputable faculty in lung specifically
4.) Georgetown--> strong GI faculty
5.) UTSW-->Strong Lung faculty. Busiest inpatient service that Ive seen
6.) NIH--> know what I'd be getting with this.

Any opinions on these places would be much appreciated!
I personally think Moffit should be a little lower but there's nothing really wrong with the way you have it, if that's how you like it.

@gutonc , ETA or Visari please help with the ROL. Want to pursue career in academics. Inclined towards hematology but not 100% sure at this time. I am confused in regards to my first 4. Thank You!

# Dartmouth/Indiana/MCW/Monte
5)Henry Ford
6) Mayo Jax

@gutonc , ETA or Visari please help with the ROL. Want to pursue career in academics. Inclined towards hematology but not 100% sure at this time. I am confused in regards to my first 4. Thank You!

# Dartmouth/Indiana/MCW/Monte
5)Henry Ford
6) Mayo Jax
Yup...just like that.
Indy first
Flip a coin or go alphabetical by PDs middle name for the next 3

Do you know when programs usually submit their rank list?
Thank you

Do you think it is too late that I registered for NRMP today?

Do you think it is too late that I registered for NRMP today?
Program can't rank you without you being registered to NRMP. I got an email 2 weeks back from a program to register myself as they were unable to locate me. If they would have ranked, they should have emailed you.

Program can't rank you without you being registered to NRMP. I got an email 2 weeks back from a program to register myself as they were unable to locate me. If they would have ranked, they should have emailed you.

Thank you very much

Posted before but looking to get a little more feedback, particularly about my top 6 as I'm kind of unsure there. Primarily interested in malignant heme, early phase clinical trials and translational research and plan to stay in academics. Grew up in the northeast and family is there but currently doing residency in the southeast.

1)Cornell – strong in malignant heme and transplant, fellows seemed overall very happy and faculty were very warm/friendly. I guess one potential drawback is being across the street from MSKCC? But not sure if this affects the fellowship experience much. Mandatory lab-based research in the second year is a neutral for me.

2)Columbia – seems like a program/department that has completely rebuilt in the past 3-5 years with influx of faculty from MSKCC including new chairman, PD, 5 leukemia attendings. New head of BMT as well (not from mskcc). Subsidized housing on the UES at Cornell vs having to pay 3 plus grand to live on the UWS plus the feeling that Cornell seemed more “established” in malignant heme makes Cornell>Columbia for me.

3)Hopkins – probably considered a “better” program than the above two, however for me NYC>Baltimore, and I’m not fond of the pressure to single board (even though I want to stay in academics now I don’t know what the future holds, plus only 2/10 spots are reserved for hematology single boarders).

4)UCSD – was hesitant to go out here given I have no ties to the west coast, but ended up liking it. The PD really seems invested in the fellows and the fellows all seemed pretty smart and content with their training experience. San Diego is a not a bad place to live either.

5)Yale – seemed like an all-around good program with solid training, smart fellows and good research opportunities. One of my interviewers told me that the department has traditionally been stronger in solids vs. heme, however they’ve been making an effort to improve the heme side. The main drawback for me is having to live in New Haven.

6)Moffitt – definitely seemed like a pretty “cush” program with plenty of research opportunities in malignant heme and BMT. It struck me as odd though that in a program with 30 fellows we only got to speak with one fellow that showed up to lunch. Also the overall architecture and setup of the cancer center was kind of drab and depressing. Tampa has nice weather and beaches but I’m not sure that it has much else.

7)NYU – actually liked the overall vibe of this program but the lack of transplant is a drawback, and it sounded like the fellows get killed in the first year.

8)U Miami / Jackson Memorial – the department has built itself up in the last 5 or so years with influx of faculty from MSKCC and MD Anderson. I’m not sure about the quality of the fellows though and they seem to be stretched thin with only 5 fellows per year to cover a huge county hospital plus an academic cancer center.

9)Georgetown – i thought the fellows “conference” here was a joke. PD is eccentric in a neutral way. DC is a great city though obviously. The faculty made it seem like it was feasible to do research with faculty at the NIH, not sure if this is true or not.

Thanks.

Hi Everyone,
Please advise about my ROL:
I am interested in solid cancers, would like to go into a well rounded program for good hem and onc training. Future prospects seem to be private practice or a hybrid academic setting. I have no geographical preference. ROL is in descending order.

# Univ of Iowa
# Medical College of Wisconsin
# Univ of Kentucky
# Univ of Cincinnati
# Univ of Nebraska
# Medical College of Georgia
# Baylor (Houston)
# Medstar Washington Hospital Center

@gutonc & @visari : would especially request your kind input.

Thank you all.

Please give some input on following programs (random order). Would prefer a program which is better in solids.

RPCI
U of Miami
U of florida

@gutonc : please suggest

This CCC or NCI thing should not play any factor in your ranking.

Visari, what do you think of the list besides the CCC/NCI thing?

Thanks, Niviancer and Gutonc!

Visari, what do you think of the list besides the CCC/NCI thing?

Thanks, Niviancer and Gutonc!

looks fine. Rutgers above Indy is a little odd to me but that's ok if you like it.

Hi Everyone,
Please advise about my ROL:
I am interested in solid cancers, would like to go into a well rounded program for good hem and onc training. Future prospects seem to be private practice or a hybrid academic setting. I have no geographical preference. ROL is in descending order.

# Univ of Iowa
# Medical College of Wisconsin
# Univ of Kentucky
# Univ of Cincinnati
# Univ of Nebraska
# Medical College of Georgia
# Baylor (Houston)
# Medstar Washington Hospital Center

@gutonc & @visari : would especially request your kind input.

Thank you all.

looks OK I guess. Although I'm struggling to understand what you you liked in Kentucky that you ranked it above cincy, Nebraska and Baylor.

Posted before but looking to get a little more feedback, particularly about my top 6 as I'm kind of unsure there. Primarily interested in malignant heme, early phase clinical trials and translational research and plan to stay in academics. Grew up in the northeast and family is there but currently doing residency in the southeast.

1)Cornell – strong in malignant heme and transplant, fellows seemed overall very happy and faculty were very warm/friendly. I guess one potential drawback is being across the street from MSKCC? But not sure if this affects the fellowship experience much. Mandatory lab-based research in the second year is a neutral for me.

2)Columbia – seems like a program/department that has completely rebuilt in the past 3-5 years with influx of faculty from MSKCC including new chairman, PD, 5 leukemia attendings. New head of BMT as well (not from mskcc). Subsidized housing on the UES at Cornell vs having to pay 3 plus grand to live on the UWS plus the feeling that Cornell seemed more “established” in malignant heme makes Cornell>Columbia for me.

3)Hopkins – probably considered a “better” program than the above two, however for me NYC>Baltimore, and I’m not fond of the pressure to single board (even though I want to stay in academics now I don’t know what the future holds, plus only 2/10 spots are reserved for hematology single boarders).

4)UCSD – was hesitant to go out here given I have no ties to the west coast, but ended up liking it. The PD really seems invested in the fellows and the fellows all seemed pretty smart and content with their training experience. San Diego is a not a bad place to live either.

5)Yale – seemed like an all-around good program with solid training, smart fellows and good research opportunities. One of my interviewers told me that the department has traditionally been stronger in solids vs. heme, however they’ve been making an effort to improve the heme side. The main drawback for me is having to live in New Haven.

6)Moffitt – definitely seemed like a pretty “cush” program with plenty of research opportunities in malignant heme and BMT. It struck me as odd though that in a program with 30 fellows we only got to speak with one fellow that showed up to lunch. Also the overall architecture and setup of the cancer center was kind of drab and depressing. Tampa has nice weather and beaches but I’m not sure that it has much else.

7)NYU – actually liked the overall vibe of this program but the lack of transplant is a drawback, and it sounded like the fellows get killed in the first year.

8)U Miami / Jackson Memorial – the department has built itself up in the last 5 or so years with influx of faculty from MSKCC and MD Anderson. I’m not sure about the quality of the fellows though and they seem to be stretched thin with only 5 fellows per year to cover a huge county hospital plus an academic cancer center.

9)Georgetown – i thought the fellows “conference” here was a joke. PD is eccentric in a neutral way. DC is a great city though obviously. The faculty made it seem like it was feasible to do research with faculty at the NIH, not sure if this is true or not.

Thanks.

You'll most likely match in your top 3

Hi guys,

Would like to get some advice on my ROL. Looking for a well-rounded program. Like myeloma/lymphoma or solids. Don't like acute leuks or BMT. Also like academia. No geographical preference.

1. Fred Hutch (This is my #1 due to personal issues)
2. Penn
3. Mayo
4. Yale
5. Cornell
6. OSU
7. UNC (This is my #7 for sure)

I'm not sure about #2 Penn or #3 Mayo. Both are great programs. I placed Penn ahead of Mayo, because I thought the fellows at Penn are from better residency programs (and medical schools) than the fellows at Mayo. This might sound naive, but it means something.

Also not sure about #5 Cornell and #6 OSU. Initially wanted to put OSU ahead of Cornell, but after reading the following post, I kinda changed my mind. Is the situation of OSU really that bad?

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

As a word of caution, tOSU is a sinking ship. Think about the Titanic after hitting an iceberg.

As a former recent fellow from OSU who is in academics, if your interested in GI onc specifically, there is no one, well, one person left. Don't believe the website.

Since T Saab left, 3 other GI med oncs have left to other academic institution. R Goldberg is retiring this December. They haven't been able to keep an internal fellow to keep a job for 4 years now. The GI med onc program is being run by a gyn/onc, breast oncologist and 3 community oncologists...

Thoracic oncology- D Carbone is still there, refuses to mentor fellows. You should ask how many fellows have been mentored by Carbone and if it resulted in any pubs

Breast- C Shapiro left to Mt. Sinai- still no leader. A prominent jr faculty from DFCI left to go to PP. Another to MDACC. Another recently left to PP. Another gone on medical leave.

They're still headless for 2+ years since M. Villalona left to be the scientific chief officer at Miami Cancer Institute.

No section chief for GI, breast, etc. M Gillison is supposedly going to MDACC.

In regards to the heme side, people are jumping ship as well. J Byrd is actively interviewing, P Porcu (head of the T cell lymphoma program) has left, G Marciucci (AML thought leader) has left and others are actively looking to leave.

While M Caliguiri is still the CEO, it isn't the same place as it has been in the past.

Thanks.

That order looks fine - I think Cornell being close to MSKCC is pretty neutral. There are a lot of people with cancer in the NYC/east coast area and it shouldn't affect your fellowship experience that much.

Overall it seems like Columbia is making a really good interview impression with people this year (just based on forum posts). They definitely seemed to be still in rebuilding mode when I interviewed and I was a bit put off by that ... I thought that the PDs/faculty that I interviewed with were very nice and I'm glad to hear that it sounds like things are going well.

Hi guys,

Would like to get some advice on my ROL. Looking for a well-rounded program. Like myeloma/lymphoma or solids. Don't like acute leuks or BMT. Also like academia. No geographical preference.

2. Penn
3. Mayo
4. Yale
5. Cornell
6. OSU

I'm not sure about #2 Penn or #3 Mayo. Both are great programs. I placed Penn ahead of Mayo, because I thought the fellows at Penn are from better residency programs (and medical schools) than the fellows at Mayo. This might sound naive, but it means something.

Also not sure about #5 Cornell and #6 OSU. Initially wanted to put OSU ahead of Cornell, but after reading the following post, I kinda changed my mind. Is the situation of OSU really that bad?

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

I think your order is fine just the way it is. I have no insight into tOSU - it's doubtful you'll fall this low but I agree that some of the things people have posted on this forum are a bit alarming.

Hi guys,

If you don't like acute leuks or BMT, this is an odd choice for #1. It's gonna be a long couple of years.
2. Penn
3. Mayo
4. Yale
5. Cornell
6. OSU
UNC should be higher, but if it's your #7 for sure then feel free to ignore me.
It is naive...and it means nothing. But if it makes you feel better about yourself, OK I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.