Official 2016-2017 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
droption,
thanks for reply. 8 Oncology pubs (3 as 1st author, all are original articles in translational and bench research (no reviews or meta-analyses or case reports; include pubs in journals with impact factor ranging from 3-35), 6 posters, 2 other pubs but in cardiology at the beginning of career. Scores are decent in 240's and 250's step 1 and 2 respectively. 4 LORS (1 PD, 1 Associate PD, 1 research mentor, and 1 clinical LOR from outside rotation at a reputed institution)

Congrats! Your profile is wonderful!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I am in a conundrum and I hope some one can guide me. I am an IMG PGY-3 resident in a community-based hospital. I have worked previously as a research fellow for 3 yrs in a top cancer institute doing translational and bench research with good research output including publications in medium to high impact journals. Due to visa restrictions, I will be applying all over the country including in smaller community-based Hem-Onc programs. As I prepare my application for this season, I am fearful that low-tier or even mid-tier programs might not consider my application as a good fit. At the same time, I am also fearful that top programs might just ignore my application because of my residency training in a community hospital and IMG status.
I am not sure what audience I am pitching my application to and who will be more receptive? Any insight will be helpful. Thanks.

Hi PD1/PDL1,
As a fellow IMG (and first time poster on SDN), I am curious as to what "visa restrictions" mean you can only apply to smaller community-based programs? Your application seems very strong and I would have thought that academic centers would certainly consider your application at the very least?
Can anyone provide any insight?

I have a manuscript that is nearly done but not submitted yet, and an abstract that I am submitting next week to ASH. Since there is no way in eras to select manuscript in progress should I leave this out? Also should I include the abstact that I'm submitting to ash as "submitted." How are submitted abstracts and papers viewed (obviously not nearly as well as published but just curious, as I also have 2 papers in submission). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
whoknows2012,
If I were you, I would not add the publications, but may be I would mention in personal statement. In my opinion, unless a manuscript is published, it really does not matter if it is in submission or under preparation. Of course, you can mention manuscripts that have been accepted or under press.

Expat17,
I have H1 visa and only about 60% of programs accept applicants on H1 visa.

whoknows2012,
If I were you, I would not add the publications, but may be I would mention in personal statement. In my opinion, unless a manuscript is published, it really does not matter if it is in submission or under preparation. Of course, you can mention manuscripts that have been accepted or under press.
Anyone else? Maybe someone with direct experience?

Also pd1/pdl1 what could be the harm of selecting the "submitted" tab for manuscript or abstracts if that's in fact what is happening??

whoknows2012,
1 scenario would be- if the program director happens to be the reviewer of ASH abstracts or associate editor of the journal you are submitting the manuscript, then you might be in trouble.

whoknows2012,
1 scenario would be- if the program director happens to be the reviewer of ASH abstracts or associate editor of the journal you are submitting the manuscript, then you might be in trouble.

I think you misunderstood my question. My abstract will be submitted before I certify, otherwise I wouldn't include it on my app. In terms of the manuscript in progress I was just curious if there was any other way this should be reflected on eras itself (not on personal statement). Currently it is in my research activities so this should suffice I guess.

Hello everyone.

1- Under Training, when adding info about my residency program, there's a field for "Program Director" and another for "Supervisor". Is the supervisor the same as my program coordinator or what?
2- I'm a chief medical resident. Also under Training, do I have to have 2 entries (one for the three years of residency and 1 for the chief resident) or just 1 entry and check the box next to "Chief Resident". If 1 entry only, do I provide the date I finished residency or the date that I will finish my chief residency?

Thank you.

Hello everyone.

1- Under Training, when adding info about my residency program, there's a field for "Program Director" and another for "Supervisor". Is the supervisor the same as my program coordinator or what?
2- I'm a chief medical resident. Also under Training, do I have to have 2 entries (one for the three years of residency and 1 for the chief resident) or just 1 entry and check the box next to "Chief Resident". If 1 entry only, do I provide the date I finished residency or the date that I will finish my chief residency?

Thank you.

I did two entries. Mainly because some programs have a 3rd year Chief Resident (not the traditional extra year). I wanted to highlight the responsibilities of CMR at our institute as well (how many weeks as an Attending we do on Hospitalist service and Ambulatory clinic, etc.).

I did two entries. Mainly because some programs have a 3rd year Chief Resident (not the traditional extra year). I wanted to highlight the responsibilities of CMR at our institute as well (how many weeks as an Attending we do on Hospitalist service and Ambulatory clinic, etc.).

Thank you. What about number 2? Is Supervisor the same as Program Director?

In finalizing my list of programs to apply to, I'm interested to know if there are any other top programs I may have overlooked that have clinician tracks. For example, MD Anderson has the "master clinician" track, Colorado and Moffitt have a clinical track, etc.

Stats: USMLEs 220s across the board. US MD, mid-tier academic IM residency, ~10 pubs, a few first author, most oncology related. Strong LORs.

Aiming to apply to ~20 programs to yield ~10 interview invites and attend ~8. Sound reasonable?

Members don't see this ad :)
In finalizing my list of programs to apply to, I'm interested to know if there are any other top programs I may have overlooked that have clinician tracks. For example, MD Anderson has the "master clinician" track, Colorado and Moffitt have a clinical track, etc.

Stats: USMLEs 220s across the board. US MD, mid-tier academic IM residency, ~10 pubs, a few first author, most oncology related. Strong LORs.

Aiming to apply to ~20 programs to yield ~10 interview invites and attend ~8. Sound reasonable?

Hi premedUVA,

Why don't you tell us which programs you have on your list so we can make some suggestions?

As a chief, is it necessary to include in the experience section of eras what your job as chief entails? There's just no real area where this can go in eras and I'm not sure how necessary it is to explain given that most people know what a Chief does on a daily basis...

I have a manuscript that is nearly done but not submitted yet, and an abstract that I am submitting next week to ASH. Since there is no way in eras to select manuscript in progress should I leave this out? Also should I include the abstact that I'm submitting to ash as "submitted." How are submitted abstracts and papers viewed (obviously not nearly as well as published but just curious, as I also have 2 papers in submission). Thanks!

I'd recommend leaving your manuscript out and then maybe mention in your research section under experiences that you have a manuscript in progress. And then once you have submitted it actually, you can send a personalized email to each program director informing them of that update to your application.

Hey guys, I went through the process last year. Don't worry it's not as stressful as residency applications. Just do what you can. Enjoy interviews. Be a good person.

I think you misunderstood my question. My abstract will be submitted before I certify, otherwise I wouldn't include it on my app. In terms of the manuscript in progress I was just curious if there was any other way this should be reflected on eras itself (not on personal statement). Currently it is in my research activities so this should suffice I guess.

I would list both under research experiences. I am assuming the abstract to ASH is a poster or oral submission. I'd write submitted to ASH under experiences. Don't believe abstracts submitted for conferences qualifies for peer review/abstract

I would list both under research experiences. I am assuming the abstract to ASH is a poster or oral submission. I'd write submitted to ASH under experiences. Don't believe abstracts submitted for conferences qualifies for peer review/abstract

Did you mean that specifically for the abstract being submitted or that even once submitted, accepted and presented?

If it's the latter, then I'm not sure how to deal with that either since technically all ash/asco abstracts are published and cited on the website it's just not indexed in pubmed. Not really sure how most people handle this?

If it's the latter, then I'm not sure how to deal with that either since technically all ash/asco abstracts are published and cited on the website it's just not indexed in pubmed. Not really sure how most people handle this?

I think it qualifies as a poster or a online publication. Definitely not a peer review publication.

Hi, I have a question about the on-going research projects. Can we put it under the research experience? I am currently writing two protocol with two oncologist, and also have one project that is in process the data-collection. Any input will be appreciated!

Hi, I have a question about the on-going research projects. Can we put it under the research experience? I am currently writing two protocol with two oncologist, and also have one project that is in process the data-collection. Any input will be appreciated!
Yes. Research experience doesn't have to be completed

Hi Guys,
Did anyone have any problem saving personal statements in ERAS? I was able to save only one paragraph. when I press preview it doesn't do anything. I tried 2 PCs and different browsers.
Thanks

Hi Guys,
Did anyone have any problem saving personal statements in ERAS? I was able to save only one paragraph. when I press preview it doesn't do anything. I tried 2 PCs and different browsers.
Thanks
I was able to enter and save my PS yesterday. I'm using a Mac so I prepared it in Word and then copied to PlainText for formatting. And then copied into ERAS.

- How many "experiences" are you fine applicants entering? (I'm sure the answer is "as many as are relevant" but everyone has a different idea of what is relevant).
-- I have 5 entries for work, 9 for research (red flag: not nearly enough corresponding publications or posters), 7 volunteer

- Would you include unique-but-not-earth-shattering activities from college or is that too long ago?

Would it be appropriate to email a Program Director (not at my own institution) to let them know that I'm applying?
I previously met a PD through a mutual colleague.. And we spoke about the fact that I'd be applying to their institution for fellowship.
Should I email once my application is submitted? Or is this considered soliciting?
Thanks!

Hi Guys,
Thanks
People who write their PS directly in ERAS deserve what they get.

Write it in NotePad/TextEdit/Word/GoogleDocs. Save without formatting. Copy, paste, submit.

Would it be appropriate to email a Program Director (not at my own institution) to let them know that I'm applying?
I previously met a PD through a mutual colleague.. And we spoke about the fact that I'd be applying to their institution for fellowship.
Should I email once my application is submitted? Or is this considered soliciting?
Thanks!
I'm sure once he gets your app, he'll be well aware that he got your app. If you're a good applicant for that program, you'll get an interview and you guys can have a more interesting conversation than is typical on your interview day.

If you don't get an invite (or you see a bunch of other people getting invites to that program and you haven't), then it's time to name drop.

I assure you that this particular PD doesn't remember you...at all. He will pretend to do so once you bring it up though.

Reactions: 1 users
As a chief, is it necessary to include in the experience section of eras what your job as chief entails? There's just no real area where this can go in eras and I'm not sure how necessary it is to explain given that most people know what a Chief does on a daily basis...

I'm debating putting in an entry for chief year because I have some unique responsibilities that ?maybe not all chiefs will have (there is a specific research project and set of conferences associated with my chief year at this institution).

If your responsibilities include primarily heavy-duty administrative work then, maybe no need to put that in the experience section.

Curious what others are doing.

I'm debating putting in an entry for chief year because I have some unique responsibilities that ?maybe not all chiefs will have (there is a specific research project and set of conferences associated with my chief year at this institution).

If your responsibilities include primarily heavy-duty administrative work then, maybe no need to put that in the experience section.

Curious what others are doing.

I wasn't going to highlight the administrative work anyway give that it is boring and probably varies little across programs (not in terms of how much but more in terms of "what") I would highlight teaching (morning report, intern/resident report, journal club, research and any committees I sit on. Still not sure how I'm going to handle it probably going to make a last second decision, although I think it's probably unlikely to affect if I get an interview at places.

I wasn't going to highlight the administrative work anyway give that it is boring and probably varies little across programs (not in terms of how much but more in terms of "what") I would highlight teaching (morning report, intern/resident report, journal club, research and any committees I sit on. Still not sure how I'm going to handle it probably going to make a last second decision, although I think it's probably unlikely to affect if I get an interview at places.

Yeah. That makes sense.

I can't help disliking how ERAS has formatted the "experiences" section into a CV. It looks like a toddler formatted it with no sense-of-spacing and random page breaks.

Good luck everyone!
Applied today to 40s programs.
Community Hospital with university affiliation
IMG J1 visa, 2 pubmeds, 10 posters - acp and 2 asco.
Previous oncology fellowship in home country
step>220

Should I apply to more programs?

Good luck everyone!
Applied today to 40s programs.
Community Hospital with university affiliation
IMG J1 visa, 2 pubmeds, 10 posters - acp and 2 asco.
Previous oncology fellowship in home country
step>220

Should I apply to more programs?

Good luck!

Applied today ~60 programs! Good luck everyone!

I submitted my application earlier today and I just noted that we are not allowed to use italic/bold in the personal statement. Unfortunately, I used Italics for one sentence and I used bold for one asterix sign. The website let me save it with no issues and everything looked fine when I "previewed" the PS. Am I in the safe?

I submitted my application earlier today and I just noted that we are not allowed to use italic/bold in the personal statement. Unfortunately, I used Italics for one sentence and I used bold for one asterix sign. The website let me save it with no issues and everything looked fine when I "previewed" the PS. Am I in the safe?
All text in italics appears as "F*** you, I hate you" and all text in bold will be changed to "I want to murder puppies...and after that, Stage I breast cancer patients". Was that not made clear in the ERAS instructions this year?

Reactions: 2 users
All text in italics appears as "F*** you, I hate you" and all text in bold will be changed to "I want to murder puppies...and after that, Stage I breast cancer patients". Was that not made clear in the ERAS instructions this year?
Lol, point taken. Thank you.

Reactions: 1 users
It looks like eras has a new interview resource.
I am really looking forward to try it! Wondering if all programs will use it and if it's similar to interview broker.

Hi, Good luck everybody!!
have a quick question. Couple of my LORs are uploaded but not available to use yet. Is it better to wait or should I just apply to programs and reassign the letters as and when they become available...??
Thank you in advance!!

Hi, Good luck everybody!!
have a quick question. Couple of my LORs are uploaded but not available to use yet. Is it better to wait or should I just apply to programs and reassign the letters as and when they become available...??
Thank you in advance!!
Apply now. Everything will be updated in real time for the programs.

Good luck you all !!!
Let's figure out the annotations we need to post interview invites.
Few suggestions:
One star: * US MD
Two stars: ** US national non- USMD (DO or Caribbean)
Three stars: *** US national/resident IMG
Four stars: **** Non US national /resident IMG J1
Five stars: ***** Non US national/resident IMG H1

Alternatively we can annotate the last two categories as X and XX as well.

Pls give your input and any volunteer can start putting up or updating this list anytime.

Apply now. Everything will be updated in real time for the programs.
I think you can't assign new LOR's to any program you've already applied. So, you might have to wait while waiting for the LOR's to become available to utilize. Good luck

I think you can't assign new LOR's to any program you've already applied. So, you might have to wait while waiting for the LOR's to become available to utilize. Good luck
That's not true at all. In fact, I had a late LOR that was ready on the 15th after I submitted (8pm on the 14th) that I assigned to every program. Additionally I spoke with program directors directly (both from
Oncology and other specialties, all with the same advice) about this issue and the answer ALWAYS is submit even if your app is not complete. People get interviews with incomplete apps.

That's not true at all. In fact, I had a late LOR that was ready on the 15th after I submitted (8pm on the 14th) that I assigned to every program. Additionally I spoke with program directors directly (both from
Oncology and other specialties, all with the same advice) about this issue and the answer ALWAYS is submit even if your app is not complete. People get interviews with incomplete apps.

Thank you guys!! I applied today. hoping for the best..

Status
Not open for further replies.