Official 2016-2017 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an IMG, have decent amount of research as a second author (about 8), great LORs, but USMLE Step 1 >220, and step 2 and step 3 in 205-210 range. How much dose the low USMLE scores in step 2 and 3 affect my chances for interview? I know step scores are important for residency, how much do they matter for fellowship application?

Members don't see this ad.

I a
I am an IMG, have decent amount of research as a second author (about 8), great LORs, but USMLE Step 1 >220, and step 2 and step 3 in 205-210 range. How much dose the low USMLE scores in step 2 and 3 affect my chances for interview? I know step scores are important for residency, how much do they matter for fellowship application?

I am no expert, but per previous SDN posts, Steps scores are used for screening. The problem of having a low step score is that your app might be discard early in the process.

it depends
on the program. I heard mentioned on this site that some programs give you a score based on your overall steps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get an interview yet? I know it is kind of early, just asking.

Last edited:
Presuming things stay somewhat similar, last year a large chunk of interviews began in the 7/20-7/30 timeframe. Interviews continued to be offered (with some places possible only staring to offer interviews) well into August. Glance at the thread from last year to get an idea of the timeline. That's what I did at least just to make sure I've got my expectations in order...

Is it normal for program assignment reports to read " Available - 07/15/2016"?

I remember residency application showed when documents/letters were downloaded by programs.

I remember residency application showed when documents/letters were downloaded by programs.

I remember the same thing, but mine also says "Available". Maybe they just aren't telling applicants any more when the application has been downloaded.

While we're waiting, does anyone have a resource that they use to stay on top of current hematology/oncology topics? Or a way that you try to get the highlights of "what's new"?

I don't know to what extent current events might come up in the interview setting, but I figure it might help to be prepared in case they do.

They aren't. New for this year apparently
Apparently, this is not new. Last year thread also mentions about the track documents not being updated (beyond "available to programs") in spite of candidates receiving an interview/rejection.

Apparently, this is not new. Last year thread also mentions about the track documents not being updated (beyond "available to programs") in spite of candidates receiving an interview/rejection.
Ya may have been new last year. 2014-2015 group had it though. Either way this year it will be updated beyond it saying available to programs.

ERAS is now using a completely web-based system vs the older one where you had to log in and download data on a rolling basis. Now, if they log in, anything uploaded is automatically available to view.

This was optional last year but mandatory this year (for residency too).

There are no more tea leaves, please stop trying to read them.

Reactions: 1 user
If someone does an oncology research track fellowship, is it difficult to go and find a job after you finish? Also can you find a job in a community hospital or the hospitals wouldn't like to have you since you prolly has less experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
@gutonc, do programs review applications in the order they receive or alphabetical order? Also is the personal statement used to screen applicants or used just the interview level

Hi everyone.
Applied today as letters weren't uploaded until today.
Best of luck everyone.
Sid.

If I remember correctly, my interviews started really picking up towards the end of July and then got really crazy early August. Good luck to all of you

As "LymFo_maniak" suggested, we can start adding the IVs in the following format:

* US MD/DO
** IMG with no visa restrictions
*** IMG J1
****IMG H1

Hope we hear something from programs soon..

Can you tell us which place you got the IV from and what credentials ie research/scores/visa status
- Do not need visa
- Scores: 264/266/244
- Research: 8 papers (variable IFs), one book chapter, and multiple abstracts/poster presentations
Received an interview from Yale, so far

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats HEMONCBMT.
Great profile!

Congrats~Great credentials!

- Do not need visa
- Scores: 264/266/244
- Research: 8 papers (variable IFs), one book chapter, and multiple abstracts/poster presentations
Received an interview from Yale, so far
Congrats HEMONCBMT.
Impressive profile!

Typically when do applicants start hearing about interviews? I haven't heard from a single program as of yet.

Typically when do applicants start hearing about interviews? I haven't heard from a single program as of yet.[/QUOTE

I think it depends. If you are a stellar candidate, IVs may come as soon as you apply. If you are the average Joe, beginning of August. But, if you need a visa(like me) mid of august to september.

Guywithquestion,
Congrats, do you mind sharing your credentials?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

IVS
Yale (07/22); Yale (07/19) *
Moffitt (07/22)

Rej
BIDMC

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa

I don't see USC on the list of heme onc programs in AAMC / ERAS. Is it not participating or am I missing something ?

It asks you to apply separately for onc n heme, similar to Stanford.

Try searching in just Medical Oncology section and again in Hematology.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

IVS
Yale (07/22); Yale (07/19) *
Texas Tech Uni Health Science (7/21)**
Moffitt (07/22)

Rej
BIDMC

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa

IVS
Moffitt (07/22)