Official 2017-2018 Allergy/Immunology Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It looks like the total number of applicants to most subspecialties (at least in IM) shrunk, the notable exception being GI. I'd speculate that the abundance of high-paying hospitalist jobs played a role, but of course who knows.
Looks like, based upon...?

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like, based upon...?

The data from this year's sub-specialty match which is available through the NRMP website. Compared to last year's match, applicant numbers in most areas declined - despite an increase in number of available positions. GI and Cards are the exceptions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure I can since the 2018 numbers (this year's match) aren't public yet. Those of us who applied this cycle can see them through the NRMP site.

I think it's because reimbursement is dropping, and there's fewer jobs out there for allergists, esp in certain markets.....

Reimbursement is dropping across all specialties. Unfortunately, most medical students & residents will never be exposed to Allergy/Immunology (A/I) during training. There is so much more to A/I than rhinitis (stereotypical thought by non-A/I trainees) and drug allergy (what most of us experience during all of our inpatient training).

A/I is one of the final specialties with a significant number of private practice opportunities. At the moment A/I is facing what has already occurred in the vast majority of other specialties/primary care.... large healthcare systems are hiring A/I physicians and will only allow the PCPs etc to refer internally instead of externally to the private practices.

As far as jobs...this past year in certain areas of the country the demand for graduating fellows was astronomical. You have to be aware of the practices offering you very little (looking to use you while they reap the profits while promising partnership which never comes aka "the chew and spit") or an excessive starting salary (if it seems too good to be true...it probably is aka "pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered").

A/I is a great field. People have been saying the sky is falling for A/I since the 1970s....it's 2018. If you're passionate about A/I, rest assured it's an incredible career.

Reactions: 1 users
I had already purchased a copy of Abbas but my program bought us a brand new copy so if anyone would like to purchase it from me, let me know. I can mail it to you. Brand new, 9th edition.

hey guys, I will be applying this next cycle. I had a quick question - when were most of your interviews? I'm thinking of doing an away as my residency program does not have a fellowship. The only time I have for the away is August, and the away requires 4 weeks. Will that be impossible with interviews??

Also - - how much research does everyone have? I don't have anything published...

hey guys, I will be applying this next cycle. I had a quick question - when were most of your interviews? I'm thinking of doing an away as my residency program does not have a fellowship. The only time I have for the away is August, and the away requires 4 weeks. Will that be impossible with interviews??

Also - - how much research does everyone have? I don't have anything published...
yeah, no one is interviewing and it should really interfere with you being able to apply to ERAS.

I meant will I have interviews that only have August dates that I will need to forgo as I wouldn't want to take days off from an away

I meant will I have interviews that only have August dates that I will need to forgo as I wouldn't want to take days off from an away

sorry, i forgot where i was posting...fellowships interview will be board the end of august, most in september, and some in october...you should be able to go to interviews

but is the away in AI? not sure how much that is going to help to do an away that late.

As far as jobs...this past year in certain areas of the country the demand for graduating fellows was astronomical. You have to be aware of the practices offering you very little (looking to use you while they reap the profits while promising partnership which never comes aka "the chew and spit") or an excessive starting salary (if it seems too good to be true...it probably is aka "pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered").

where is the demand for graduating fellows atronomical? have you personally seen this yourself?

Not sure I can since the 2018 numbers (this year's match) aren't public yet. Those of us who applied this cycle can see them through the NRMP site.

The data is now public on the NRMP website. NRMP --> Data and Reports --> Fellowship --> NRMP Results and Data Specialties Matching Service, 2018 Appointment Year

Total applicant numbers were down from 174 to 141 (2017 --> 2018), which is a 5-year low. The bar graphs show there were 17 positions across 15 programs that went unfilled, though when I search the programs I can only account for 16 positions in 14 programs. Many of these programs are currently 3 year fellowships, with 2 years of a T32 research fellowship built in.

Unfilled programs
Stanford (medicine, 0 of 1)
Stanford (peds, 1 of 2)
UC Irvine (med or peds, 0 of 1)
UCSF (medicine, 0 of 1)
Yale (med or peds, 1 of 2)
Northwestern (peds, 0 of 1)
Indiana (med or peds, 0 of 1)
Hopkins (peds, 0 of 1)
Boston Children's (0 of 1)
UNC (med or peds, 0 of 2)
Cincinnati (peds, 1 of 2)
CHOP (peds, 1 of 2)
U Tennessee (med or peds, 1 of 2)
UTMB (medicine, 0 of 2)

Reactions: 1 user
Out of curiosity, for these unfilled programs. Are these separate peds and medicine? Therefore training only peds and only medicine, not combined? Also, people tend to post in this thread and not state where they match, which is fine. However, it would be nice to know where people match in regards to their list
(1st choice vs last)

Reactions: 1 user