Official 2017-2018 Infectious Disease Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
7/17: Vanderbilt, UVA
7/18: Drexel University/Hahnemann, Ochsner, Ohio State, UF Jacksonville, UK (Kentucky)
7/19: Iowa, UT Houston, Palmetto/USC, MedStar Georgetown University/ Washington Hospital Center, LSU-Shreveport
7/20: UW (Seattle), Allegheny Health
7/21: UI-Chicago, Tulane, UAB, Indiana U, U of Arizona
7/24: Tufts, Stanford, Yale, U Cincinnati, UMass, NIH
7/25: Emory, UCLA, UCD, Montefiore, Stony Brook
7/26: UNC, Cornell
7/27: U Maryland, USF Tampa, George Washington U, Mount Sinai Hospital
7/28: MUSC, Temple, Georgetown University Hospital
7/29: UCSF Fresno
8/1: UCSF, U of Utah
8/2: UPenn, Duke, BIDMC, UF (Gainesville), Baylor, UT Houston, St. Louis U
8/3: Hopkins, Washington U(St. Louis), JMH/JHS, St. Luke's Roosevelt, Harbor-UCLA
8/4 : Dartmouth, U of Rochester, wake forest, Montefiore
8/7: U of Colorado, Stanford (2nd cycle?)
8/8: U of Florida COM (Jacksonville)
8/9: Pitt, NYU, Mayo Clinic (FL), Thomas Jefferson U, Washington U (St. Louis), MGH
8/10: U Miami/JMH
8/11: UT Southwestern (Dallas), Mayo Clinic (AZ)
8/14: Brown, Rush, Columbia
8/15: Case western
8/16: NY-Presbyterian (Queens), BU
8/22: UT San Antonio
8/23 : Penn state Hershey
8/24: Boston University (2nd wave?)
8/25: Orlando Health
8/28: MGH (2nd wave?)
Rejections:
8/3: NIH, Harbor-UCLA
8/8: UCSD
8/11: U Minnesota
8/14: Loyola
8/28: BIDMC

Members don't see this ad.

It's been almost a week since anyone has posted.

Hope all of you in Houston as well as Oregon and other areas affected by the flooding and wild fires have stayed safe.

Does anyone have reports from the trail thus far? Has anything been Good, Bad, Surprising, etc?

I start my trail this week!

7/18: Drexel University/Hahnemann, Ochsner, Ohio State, UF Jacksonville, UK (Kentucky)
7/19: Iowa, UT Houston, Palmetto/USC, MedStar Georgetown University/ Washington Hospital Center, LSU-Shreveport
8/3: Hopkins, Washington U(St. Louis), JMH/JHS, St. Luke's Roosevelt, Harbor-UCLA
8/9: Pitt, NYU, Mayo Clinic (FL), Thomas Jefferson U, Washington U (St. Louis), MGH
9/01: Baylor Scott & White
9/05: UTMB, UCI

Rejections:

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread has been incredibly quiet over the last several weeks.

Any impressions thus far from the interview trail?

Who is looking at 2 year vs 3 year programs? Why or why not?

What do you think the future of the specialty will look like by the time we're done/job market, etc.?

9/01: Baylor Scott & White
9/05: UTMB, UCI

Rejections:
9/26: UCLA

This thread has been incredibly quiet over the last several weeks.

Any impressions thus far from the interview trail?

Who is looking at 2 year vs 3 year programs? Why or why not?

What do you think the future of the specialty will look like by the time we're done/job market, etc.?

Some impressions so far:

Georgetown DC: Close collaboration with NIH, has an NIH fellow doing a full year with them now. Fledgling global health program. Nice people. Small bowel transplant exposure and decent transplant ID exposure. Fellows seemed happy and I felt a sense of camaraderie among them.

UT Houston: varied exposure in different hospitals in the Texas Medical center. Option of Immunosuppressed track with 9 months of rotations in MD Anderson (really nothing can beat this if you want transplant ID).

Baylor: Option of diploma in tropical medicine, MPH and a 3rd year if you can find funding, great people. They have experience with getting jobs for people on a visa (current PD went through the J1 waiver process himself so he is familiar with all that). Fellows seemed nice and friendly.

Citywide conference in Baylor and UT houston is Huge with all the big programs in Texas Medical Center participating.

More to follow.

Please others share your experience on the trail too! Has anyone been to the New York programs? Anyone been to Tufts or Dartmouth?

This thread needs CPR

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have any thoughts on Saint Louis uni if I'm interested in global health? I'm looking to cancel some interviews and want know if that's one I should keep.

Has anyone interviewed at Brown University yet? If so, would you mind sharing IV experience? It's interesting that is the first program that sent me articles to be discussed the day of IV attached with my IV schedule.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Thanks

UW (Seattle):

Clinically: Amazing. Awesome diversity of experiences: VA, Transplant, Referral, County, and tele consults. Has a catchment area that is 1/3 of America’s landmass. They use a cerner EMR which is suboptimal for those used to Epic.

Research: They can basically accommodate everything from basic to translational and clinical trial. Strong global health program with a vast reach. They’ll support you for a Master’s in Epi or MPH.

People: Super nice. Down to earth. Nobody was boastful. Good post-interview communication.

Career: A little concerned that Seattle is saturated with ID docs, not sure it’s easy to transition to faculty even though I met several young attendings.

City: Awesome. Diverse. Exciting. Safe. Expensive and getting even more so.

UVA:
Clinically: Excellent. Safety net, rural, IV drug use from Appalachia, tertiary referral, and transplant all under one roof. There’s an Attending-only service to off-load fellows. Epic is the EMR both inpatient and outpatient. ID is top dog in the university. The teaching is wonderful with good didactics and a strong culture of thoughtfulness. They’ve expanded the hospital vigorously and are continuing to build. Looks beautiful now.

Research: Very strong research culture. Again, ID pulls more funding than any other program in the University and the department of medicine. The unique thing about UVA is that the first year is all research. It allows you to hit the ground running. As a consequence, they have a good record of K-awardees in the ID department. Good range of research ranging from basic science to translational and clinical work.

People: The best. Everyone’s super nice and collaborative. Their approach to ID is tremendously philosophical which behoves Mr. Jefferson’s university. I know Cville recently saw appalling racial tensions, but that does not reflect the faculty at all. Take it from a former UVA med student who walked around grounds with a long beard and middle-eastern-looking clothes without any harassment.

Career: Strong record of retaining trainees and the department seems to be on the rise.

City: Lovely. Surprisingly cosmopolitan. Safe (except the anomaly in August). Affordable…although there’s a tech boom going on so things are becoming more upscale. Hospital is un undergrad area so you have access to a lot of cultural

Yale:

Clinically: Rigorous. The Yale system has figured stuff out. They have Epic at both major campuses that talk to each other. The VA obviously has CPRS. Hospitals are within 5-10 min of each other. Hospital is huge. Good diversity of cases: transplant, general ID, tertiary stuff, community stuff, VA.

Research: Large faculty with fairly diverse interests. You can find what you need here and should be able to secure funding through several funding streams particularly since the school of public health is developing a closer relationship with the school of medicine and the department of medicine. Yale is also trying to consolidate its global health activity into the Yale Institute of Global Health which is helpful.

People: Everybody is really nice. Yale’s a little traditional and fellow notes are not considered finalised until the Attending attests them. Residents say that antibiotic choices and duration are on the conservative side.

Career: Yale is committed to fellow career development and seem interested in hiring. People tend to rise through the academic ranks quite swiftly at Yale.

City: New Haven definitely has some rough neighbourhoods, but unlike Baltimore you don’t have to deal with it. A lot of people live in nearby towns and choose to drive 10-15 minutes to the hospital. Parking is convenient and very cheap. Overall, New Haven is not expensive to live in. Yale offers a ridiculously generous salary.

UCLA:

Clinically: Seems pretty excellent with multiple campuses that offer the full gamut of clinical experiences. Ronal Regan Medical Center is gorgeous. Fellows also rotate at Olive view which has a TB ward, Cedar Sinai, and the VA. I think there’s another location too. I didn’t like the clinic schedule— sounds like they place fellows in a lot of different clinics and switch things up a fair amount. The program sold it as being very flexible, but it sounded a little confusing and error-prone.

Research: Interview was all about figuring out what mentors and pathways the fellows were suited to. They have a STAR program that basically offers Master’s in clinical research and even a PhD for physician scientist types. Sounds like a pretty good program for keeping one’s feet to the fire and ensure productivity.

People: Loved the clinician educators I met. The Section chief is the head of ACTG and was really nice and down to earth. People were generally nice and seemed committed to helping fellows reach career goals, but were all realistic.

Career: Several of the associate program directors were young graduates and it felt like they really look for fellows to join their faculty.

City: Gorgeous weather. Expensive. Lots of aggressive drivers and horrible traffic snarls. Unfortunately the sites are far apart. The faculty and fellows assured us that getting around hasn’t been a problem. Sounds like parking costs are largely offset, but the fellows have to pass around the parking pass instead of having their own. Seems a little stingy for such a large institution, but I guess that’s the difference between private institutions like Yale and public ones like UCLA. No frills.

Reactions: 1 user
Good morning,
I have applied to Hem/Onc, my wife will apply to ID next year. While finalizing my LOR, it is also important, to consider ID fellowship opportunities.
Any input regarding these programs:
Univeristy of Minnesota (this is my 1st choice, I will really appreciate if anyone can shed some light about ID program)
University of Maryland
University of Alabama/Birmingham
NCI/NIH
Medical college of Georgia
Alleghany

Thanks in advance!

Good morning,
I have applied to Hem/Onc, my wife will apply to ID next year. While finalizing my LOR, it is also important, to consider ID fellowship opportunities.
Any input regarding these programs:
Univeristy of Minnesota (this is my 1st choice, I will really appreciate if anyone can shed some light about ID program)
University of Maryland
University of Alabama/Birmingham
NCI/NIH
Medical college of Georgia
Alleghany

Thanks in advance!

Disclaimer: Epidemiology grad student NOT a resident or med student so take what I say with a grain of salt (or 10). It seems like the people who do ID in MN are generally pretty happy with the program, especially those interested in global health. There's good diversity in patients and cases across the different training sites. Twin Cities is a cool place. Hopefully someone with more direct experience can chime in with more details.

Reactions: 1 user
Matched!! For those applying next year, feel free to PM me with questions!

Matched! But have to say a little surprised I went that far down my list lol. Wonder what the stats are like this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.