Official 2017-2018 Rheumatology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
7/18 Johns Hopkins, Mayo Clinic
7/19 University of Vermont :)
7/19 University of Arizona

Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad.

How many interviews are programs offering per available spot? Some programs seem to be incredibly inbred given their match history online (*cough* BWH *cough*). Worth going if there is a chance that all but one slot are prematched?

Members don't see this ad :)
7/19 University of Vermont
7/20 UT Southwestern

Reactions: 1 users
7/20 UT Southwestern, U of Michigan, U of Iowa

Reactions: 3 users
one question, why my application screen kept showing the following information?

Attention Osteopathic Medical Applicants: AOA-accredited programs can be found under the “DO” filter selection on the Search Programs page along with their AOA Program ID. As AOA-accredited programs receive ACGME accreditation through the single graduate medical education accreditation system, they will receive their new ACGME program ID and will be listed under the “MD” filter selection on the Search Programs page. Programs that have both AOA and ACGME IDs and are participating in ERAS will be listed under both the “MD” and “DO” sections.

one question, why my application screen kept showing the following information?

Attention Osteopathic Medical Applicants: AOA-accredited programs can be found under the “DO” filter selection on the Search Programs page along with their AOA Program ID. As AOA-accredited programs receive ACGME accreditation through the single graduate medical education accreditation system, they will receive their new ACGME program ID and will be listed under the “MD” filter selection on the Search Programs page. Programs that have both AOA and ACGME IDs and are participating in ERAS will be listed under both the “MD” and “DO” sections.

It's because the AOA and ACGME are currently going through a merger but not all AOA programs have completed the ACGME accreditation. So, for now, to find and apply to an AOA program you have to search for them separate from the ACGME programs

It's because the AOA and ACGME are currently going through a merger but not all AOA programs have completed the ACGME accreditation. So, for now, to find and apply to an AOA program you have to search for them separate from the ACGME programs

I see. thanks

Anybody else getting interviews or notifications? Pretty quiet week for me. First time applying so I really don't have a sense of when activity picks up in the application process.

Anybody else getting interviews or notifications? Pretty quiet week for me. First time applying so I really don't have a sense of when activity picks up in the application process.

Don't worry... we have only just begun

Last edited:
Quiet for me too. Just an acknowledgement from Rutgers. No invitations or rejections so far.

None here either , very competitive this year it seems ,it has been getting competitive over past 2 years ,at least I am happy that people are posting their interviews here .

Members don't see this ad :)
None here either , very competitive this year it seems ,it has been getting competitive over past 2 years ,at least I am happy that people are posting their interviews here .
True that it is getting competitive, but, I believe that it is still too early for anything to be decided. Interviews keep on coming until early September, at least what I've been told. My first time applying, so, am hopeful :) !

True that it is getting competitive, but, I believe that it is still too early for anything to be decided. Interviews keep on coming until early September, at least what I've been told. My first time applying, so, am hopeful :) !
First timer here ,but have been watching how it was going over past 2 years .

I also got a Rutgers acknowledgement but I'd venture to say that's common. Hang in there guys!

How many interviews are programs offering per available spot? Some programs seem to be incredibly inbred given their match history online (*cough* BWH *cough*). Worth going if there is a chance that all but one slot are prematched?

I can share what my PD and chief has share so far which I think is more useful. So, I will keep my rheum program to myself for now ( rheum is a small world) but I will say that I am at a large university rheum program and it is one of the largest programs. I may share after this interview cycle.

My PD looks at every application, even during weekends. We apparently interview 3-4 candidates per spot. The interviews are offered in the following order: AMGs--> IMG not needing visas--> fmg/Img who need visas. Apparently we have never had trouble filling. We have yet to offer interviews but we will be giving out 10 interviews late this wk or early next. Hope that's helpful.

Back to board studying. Good luck and I may pop by again when procrastinating.

Reactions: 2 users
I can share what my PD and chief has share so far which I think is more useful. So, I will keep my rheum program to myself for now ( rheum is a small world) but I will say that I am at a large university rheum program and it is one of the largest programs. I may share after this interview cycle.

My PD looks at every application, even during weekends. We apparently interview 3-4 candidates per spot. The interviews are offered in the following order: AMGs--> IMG not needing visas--> fmg/Img who need visas. Apparently we have never had trouble filling. We have yet to offer interviews but we will be giving out 10 interviews late this wk or early next. Hope that's helpful.

Back to board studying. Good luck and I may pop by again when procrastinating.

Thanks

7/25 Indiana University

Reactions: 1 user
7/25 Indiana University
7/26 OHSU

Rejections but no invites yet? C'mon NYU!
I applied there and got the "application received" message on the 17th but haven't gotten a rejection yet. To those that got rejections already, do you need a visa?

Rejections but no invites yet? C'mon NYU!
I applied there and got the "application received" message on the 17th but haven't gotten a rejection yet. To those that got rejections already, do you need a visa?

Not need visa

7/24 Rush
7/25 Indiana University
7/26 OHSU, U of KY

7/24 Rush
7/25 Indiana University
7/26 OHSU, U of KY, Cleveland Clinic

Congrats, guys! I'm sure they'll get to me soon. They must be saving mine (the best) for last. hehe :)

I'm hoping that they're just reviewing the applications more in depth, thus explaining the delay in sending out interview invites. A friend of mine who matched last year said they didn't get their first interview invite until late July. Ultimately received greater than 10 invites, I think. So, we'll see. Though my hand may be in the vicinity of the panic button, simply due to the nature of the process, it hasn't pressed the button just yet. Good luck everyone! Congrats to those who have already received interview invitations!

First year rheum fellow here. I was swinging by my PD's office earlier and she was reading through applications like a page by page and when I asked her if she is thorough like that with all applications she said only with those she is interested in and that she has certain criteria she feels are essential in her fellows so she filters based on these criteria and then reviews in details applicants she is considering to invite!

Thought this might help and
Ofcourse to each their own style of doing this whole applications review and interviewing process!

Last edited:
First year rheum fellow here. I was swinging by my PD's office earlier and she was reading through applications like a page by page and when I asked her if she is thorough like that with all applications she said only with those she is interested in and that she has certain criteria she feels are essential in her fellows so she filters based on these criteria and then reviews in details applicants she is considering to invite!

Thought this might help and
Ofcourse to each their own style of doing this whole applications review and interviewing process!

This is very helpful indeed! Thank you for being thoughtful for dropping on by and sharing this. It sounds like your PD is also quite thoughtful and has the kind of program I'd be very interested in!

7/24 Rush
7/25 Indiana University
7/27 Penn State

7/24 Rush
7/25 Indiana University
7/27 Penn State
Can we please classify these under:

AMG
IMG not requiring Visa
IMG requiring Visa

Hello everyone. Am new to this forum. Joined because I was wondering if all the programs had decided not to call only me for interviews. .
Got acknowledgement from Duke today. Congrats to those getting interviews.

IMG not requiring visa. First time applying. 20 programs. Limited by geography. No invites, no rejections.

The wait is challenging but applications are being carefully considered. This is a good thing. Hang in there.

Last edited:
Let's follow this template. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

AMG:
7/24 Rush
7/25 Indiana University
7/27 Penn State

IMG not requiring visa:
nil

IMG requiring visa