USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
I took the exam on December 17th, in the US, an an IMG.
My UWSA2 score was 249, NBME 18 was 242, NBME 19 was 238.
I could hardly sleep 3 hours on the night before the exam, so I wasn't in a very good shape on the exam day.
I got the score today, 242.

Good luck for everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
I am a certified pathologist from Turkey and i have been working as a research fellow at a cancer center in NYC for one year. My plan is to repeat the pathology residency in USA to get certified. I have enough background to fill out my residency application.

Resources: FA+UW (and wikipedia, youtube for certain contexts)
Dedicated Study Time: 6 months (as I explained above, I have a job and work between 8 AM and 6 PM on weekdays)
UWSA1: 231 (two weeks before)
UWSA2: 241 (one week before)
NBME18: 230 (5 days before)
Real Deal: 237 (got my score today)
We got the same score!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a certified pathologist from Turkey and i have been working as a research fellow at a cancer center in NYC for one year. My plan is to repeat the pathology residency in USA to get certified. I have enough background to fill out my residency application.

Resources: FA+UW (and wikipedia, youtube for certain contexts)
Dedicated Study Time: 6 months (as I explained above, I have a job and work between 8 AM and 6 PM on weekdays)
UWSA1: 231 (two weeks before)
UWSA2: 241 (one week before)
NBME18: 230 (5 days before)
Real Deal: 237 (got my score today)

Nearly same experience, certified radiologist from Egypt but aiming for a US fellowship, 8 months preparation time while working full time. Used FA + UW only. Both done twice.

NBME 15 : 200 (7 weeks out)
NBME 17: 209 (5 weeks out)
NBME 13: 215 (4 weeks out)
NBME 16: 234 (3 weeks out)
NBME 18: 232 (2 weeks out)

UWSA 1: 260 (10 days out)
UWSA 2: 243 (1 week out)

NBME 19: 223 (5 days out)
Real deal: 243 :)

My exam was pretty harder than UW or the NBMEs but may be that gave it a milder curve. I missed many easy simple recall questions but my score says that I must have nailed the tough ones.

Took my exam 27th Dec, got my result today:
NBME 17 3 monthes before the exam: 196
NBME 19 11 days before the exam: 215
NBME 18 10 days before the exam: 223
UWSA1 9 days before the exam: 243
UWSA2 8 days before the exam: 230
then had flu, tonsilittis, fever for 1 week without studying any thing.
Real deal: 224

- I did perfect in first 4 blocks, Did very poor in the last 3 blocks.
- My target was 230 , Target specialty: psychiatry , Have 0 healthcare experience in USA , graduated 2014.
- This is my first exam (didnt take step 2), I dont know if I should continue and take Step 2 or I should shift to PLAB, I am very confused.
- I wish you can share your opinion.

I've posted this in the 2018 thread as well, so ignore this if you've already seen it. I'm almost done writing a more detailed account of my STEP 1 journey, which I will be posting as a separate thread for anyone interested.

IMG graduated 2016. Last saw M2 stuff in 2012.
Prep time - 8.5 months
Goal Score - 260+

Resources used-
Kaplan Live online lectures, on demand lectures and lecture notes read multiple times
FA - 2 complete passes
Pathoma - just videos once
Sketchy Micro and a couple of sketchy pharm videos
Half of khan's cases

Qbanks -
Kaplan(may-sep) - 85% cumulative
UW(sep-nov) - 87% cumulative (only 1 pass)
Retired NBMEs - between 5-12 wrong on all except NBME 1 with around 20 wrong.
Rx (dec) - 93% - projected 293 when I was done, but 298 today. Lol.

Practise tests -
Kaplan Sim 1 (3+ mo out) - 244/280
NBME 15 (3 mo out) - 248
NBME 16 (2 mo out) - 263
Kaplan Sim 2 (7 wk out) - 267/280
NBME 13 (6.5 wk out) - 263
UWSA 1 (5 wk out) - 275
Free 120 (3 wk out) - 94%
UWSA 2 (3 wk out) - 266 (most predictive)
NBME 17 (17 days out) - 269
NBME 19 (10 days out) - 271
NBME 18 (2 days out) - 263

The Beast - 265!

Reactions: 2 users
Scored 2 points lower then in NBME 18 and 6 points lower than in UWSA 2. Got 238. Had an amazing sleep before the exam, slept for 8 hours first time in my life, it was like a message from the above ... Felt great on exam day, no anxiety just tachycardia because of 800 mg of caffeine during the day, it was an amazing day. I think that I am the only person that says that the step 1 day was an amazing day. But anyways, scored lower. The exam was tough in the understanding that I was guessing on around 40% of questions, got 280 questions. Always had 10 minutes spare in the end of each block, or even 11-13 minutes because I used smart test taking skills which everyone can search in this section of SDN. 80-90% of students score higher than on nbme 18, but this is life, es te la vie. It's okay. Anyways this score is enough for my dream specialty, I was not hoping for 250 + simply because I am not that kind of personality or because I can't score that high in this period of time devoted for step 1, but to be honest It is just cool to see 240 + on report, even 241. It is like when you own a BMW M3 but there is also a BMW M3 SLS, which is slightly cooler. but you win many races with just an M3 if you understand what I mean. +- 5 scores will not land us dream specialty residency, it is just an illusion like many other illusions. Program directors know better than any of us about the Standart error, you can't get even close to 240 without being a hard working person or just being lucky which doesn't happen to frequently. Good luck to all the test takers, don't get bugged down because of +-5 scores, this is just an illusion, in the end everything goes down to what can you offer to this world, community, people, how much can you give? how much can you devote? Listen to your heart, somewhere someone needs you in the middle of the night. just make sure that you score lands somewhere around the mean for the specialty, but remember always to mean for the specialty is not very much accurate, there is plenty of people matching neurosurgery with 230-240 even though can be 240 + and most of the people don't know this and just think about the mean score, which is not accurate.

Reactions: 4 users
Nearly same experience, certified radiologist from Egypt but aiming for a US fellowship, 8 months preparation time while working full time. Used FA + UW only. Both done twice.

NBME 15 : 200 (7 weeks out)
NBME 17: 209 (5 weeks out)
NBME 13: 215 (4 weeks out)
NBME 16: 234 (3 weeks out)
NBME 18: 232 (2 weeks out)

UWSA 1: 260 (10 days out)
UWSA 2: 243 (1 week out)

NBME 19: 223 (5 days out)
Real deal: 243 :)

My exam was pretty harder than UW or the NBMEs but may be that gave it a milder curve. I missed many easy simple recall questions but my score says that I must have nailed the tough ones.
would love to know your experience in the last 4 weeks. I have about that much time before my exam and I just scored 230 in NBME 16, I am hoping to improve to 240+!

would love to know your experience in the last 4 weeks. I have about that much time before my exam and I just scored 230 in NBME 16, I am hoping to improve to 240+!

What raised my score from 215 to 230s was that I spent more time solving NBMEs and marked the question I am not sure of. I used to finish a whole NBME online in 2 hours but when I start to take it more seriously my score jumped.

Learn from the mistakes you have done in the NBMEs. I also focused on my weak areas doing UW subject wise and reading FA sections for selected weak areas.

Anyway, I was aiming for 220s and I don't exactly know how I got my final score which was significantly higher than any of my NBMEs. I even got many easy questions wrong. But I think good test taking skills are essential for such long exam. The exam questions test your understanding of basic knowledge and test that more rigorous than UW, You will need to eliminate as many answers as you can before settling with your best guess.

Also try to forget about you blocks you have done and start every block as if it is a separate exam that you try to ace.

Good Luck

First time poster here, took the exam a week ago and the wait is already KILLING ME!! Been reading these posts to keep me sane in the mean time... anyone have suggestions for distracting yourself until scores come out?

First time poster here, took the exam a week ago and the wait is already KILLING ME!! Been reading these posts to keep me sane in the mean time... anyone have suggestions for distracting yourself until scores come out?
Drinking, drugs and bedroom sports

Reactions: 1 users
sorry to bump this thread from one of the 2018 group, but I took the test within the last 2 weeks and weirdly...it felt okay. didn't come out thinking it was too different than anything i'd seen before, some of the easier ones felt even easier than questions I'd seen before, only 1-2 questions total that felt waaay out of left field, etc.

I know the forms vary, and maybe I got an easier form, but i read a lot of stories about how people come out thinking they failed and then end up around or even better than their predicted score...anyone want to offer up a "felt good, did good" version? a little worried i'll be caught off guard in a few weeks with a low score and that maybe I was "underthinking" the whole exam

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry to bump this thread from one of the 2018 group, but I took the test within the last 2 weeks and weirdly...it felt okay. didn't come out thinking it was too different than anything i'd seen before, some of the easier ones felt even easier than questions I'd seen before, only 1-2 questions total that felt waaay out of left field, etc.

I know the forms vary, and maybe I got an easier form, but i read a lot of stories about how people come out thinking they failed and then end up around or even better than their predicted score...anyone want to offer up a "felt good, did good" version? a little worried i'll be caught off guard in a few weeks with a low score and that maybe I was "underthinking" the whole exam

My only advice is that you should try to forget it till you get your score. Trying to guess your score won't help because at the end, it is the official score that will matter, not the score that you predict. Good luck and try to enjoy your time :)

Is the curve on the step 1 similar to the nbme curves? Or is it better? Because the nbme grading is HARSH. :/

only 1-2 questions total that felt waaay out of left field, etc.

What topics did those left field questions come from? No need to give specifics of the question stem; I'm just curious about the subjects. And were they left field in the sense that they asked about esoteric minutia pertaining to diseases that youre otherwise familiar with or were they on pathologies that are not even covered by UFAP?

What topics did those left field questions come from? No need to give specifics of the question stem; I'm just curious about the subjects. And were they left field in the sense that they asked about esoteric minutia pertaining to diseases that youre otherwise familiar with or were they on pathologies that are not even covered by UFAP?

ah just totally random stuff. had one question that i only sort of recognized the topic because i took AP environmental science in high school lol. but like i said, those were few and far between on my form, which worries me that mine will be scaled rather harshly. find out in a few weeks i guess!

Is the curve on the step 1 similar to the nbme curves? Or is it better? Because the nbme grading is HARSH. :/

I think the curve is directly related to the difficulty of the questions at a particular test, because your score is based on your relative performance compared to others. So a difficult test means a milder curve and vice versa.

I think the curve is directly related to the difficulty of the questions at a particular test, because your score is based on your relative performance compared to others. So a difficult test means a milder curve and vice versa.
Okay cool thanks!

Okay so I need some advice :/ I took nbme 15 like 6 weeks ago and got 211. I took nbme 17 today got 221. Only a 10 point increase. My exam is in three weeks and I want 240. I've been doing UWorld, USMLE Rx, FA and Pathoma. I need help. I honestly dont know how much more i can do.

Need some thoughts from previous test takers here.

I want a 250+, 260s would be super amazing.

I noticed that the dude up in this thread scored a 271 on nbme 19 and 265 on the actual thing. That scares me because I always thought 19 underpredicted.

My progression:

8 weeks out: NBME 17 - 209
6 weeks out: NBME 15 - 238
5 weeks out: UWSA 1 - 266
3 weeks out: NBME 16 - 244
1.5 weeks out: NBME 19 - 244

I feel like my score history is a bit weird compared to many other people. I felt better after nbme 19 after being told that 19 grossly underpredicts, but I'm a bit worried now seeing the guy above.

Any thoughts from people that took NBME 19 and any advice on what to focus on right before?

i really want a 250+, and ideally i would get a 260+. But I just don't know if I can believe that at this point. On my most recent NBME (19), I missed a couple questions just from brain farting. Or choosing a different answer because the right answer didn't fit perfectly, when the answer I chose didn't fit at all.

Thank you all.

I noticed that the dude up in this thread scored a 271 on nbme 19 and 265 on the actual thing. That scares me because I always thought 19 underpredicted.

My progression:

I feel like my score history is a bit weird compared to many other people. I felt better after nbme 19 after being told that 19 grossly underpredicts, but I'm a bit worried now seeing the guy above.

Any thoughts from people that took NBME 19 and any advice on what to focus on right before?

i really want a 250+, and ideally i would get a 260+. But I just don't know if I can believe that at this point. On my most recent NBME (19), I missed a couple questions just from brain farting. Or choosing a different answer because the right answer didn't fit perfectly, when the answer I chose didn't fit at all.

Thank you all.
So I was one of the unlucky few for whom NBME 19 actually predicted correctly...but I'm just 1% of the lot. You should definitely hit a 255+ with your score for sure. My prayers are with you :)

My progression:

Thank you all.

Just a heads up, this is the 2017 thread. The 2018 thread is here: USMLE - Official 2018 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread.

Also, have you taken UWSA2? It's the most accurate predictor.

Regarding the other guy in the thread, tbh the difference between a 265 and 270+ is like a handful of questions, enough to chalk up to luck. The line gets very blurry after a 260.

Just a heads up, this is the 2017 thread. The 2018 thread is here: USMLE - Official 2018 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread.

Also, have you taken UWSA2? It's the most accurate predictor.

Regarding the other guy in the thread, tbh the difference between a 265 and 270+ is like a handful of questions, enough to chalk up to luck. The line gets very blurry after a 260.

Thanks for the head's up on the new thread. Sorry, I'm really new to student doctor network. Just joined.

I'm about to take NBME 18 and UWSA2 back to back this coming Monday at my school (they're gonna simulate the exam for a couple of us).

I'm just scared because on NBME, I haven't scored above a 244. But I'm feeling y'all two are saying that NBME 19 does under-predict but less so when you're scoring 260+?

Thanks again guys.

Thanks for the head's up on the new thread. Sorry, I'm really new to student doctor network. Just joined.

I'm about to take NBME 18 and UWSA2 back to back this coming Monday at my school (they're gonna simulate the exam for a couple of us).

I'm just scared because on NBME, I haven't scored above a 244. But I'm feeling y'all two are saying that NBME 19 does under-predict but less so when you're scoring 260+?

Thanks again guys.

I'm not sure if you're referring to my scores. The general trend with NBME 19 is that it underpredicts but I was an exception. I found a lot of repeated questions from Rx and I was really excited because everyone says it always underpredicts. Also the STEP 1 has a standard error of 6 points.

they get 6 months dedicated time?!
Nobody "gets" xx months dedicated time. IMG's basically put a hold on their lives, or working fulltime, or are already practicing physicians in their home country .. have kids, english is not their first language etc etc. and going back to basics, to step 1 is hard and takes time to study for it on top of what they have going on in their personal live.

as a medical student, all you have on your plate is studying :), and in US medical schools, you usually know that it is coming and start studying for it from the beginning.. so yeah 6 month is not that long

I got a question for you guys, in Pompe disease you have a deficiency of alpha 1,4 glucosidase enzyme with alpha 1,6 glucosidase activity. So are they saying alpha 1,4 glucosidase enzyme also had alpha 1,6 glucosidase activity and with deficiency of enzyme you have loss of this activity also

I think it means that there's regular alpha-1,6-glucosidase (debranching) activity but deficiency alpha-1,4-glucosidase activity

I am a Non-US IMG since I have a green card, here is my story
I went to medical school in europe and did rotations in chicago

It took me approximately 9months-1year in total time to prepare for step 1 with some setbacks (ex: dad in hospital 3 times, funeral in india, stuff everyone deals with but it kept making me "restart" my studying process and it was mentally taxing.

I'm an average student and I want to give hope to anyone who has a dream of doing well on this exam. It's not easy, there are no shortcuts but if it truly is your dream you have to be motivated, work very hard and sacrifice a lot.

Everyone says to do uworld and do it throughly, obviously it works for the masses and thats great but I want to share how I did it for those of us who dont find it effective or enjoy that method. Do not get me wrong questions are extremely important, but doesn't mean you have to spend 4 hours reviewing a block.

I did all of the kaplan videos in: Physio, pharm, biochem, behavoiral, micro...at this time I did half of kaplan qbank
I did pathoma and barone path videos
I did sketchy micro
I did uworld-I finished about 65-70%, first pass i got around a 63% percent. I started at 35% and week before exam I was at 75-85%. all i did was make sure it was timed and random and looked at correct answer after and sometimes read main concept.
I did 70% usmlerx
I did DIT 2015 and DIT 2016-found this to be a great way to read through FA for the first time

I did all the NBME's: I started at a 142 and ended with a 215 on NBME 18 a week before exam
***Please do NBME's online and get feedback, invest a little money on the biggest exam.
1) make sure they are timed with 5-10 min breaks max between blocks, don't lie to yourself or look up answers
2)feel the stress as if its the real deal
3)these are things that will help you be realistic- I would take my nbmes after studying all day and then take them from like 1am-6am-i gave my self harsh conditions and a lot of stress, knowing if I could perform like that before the exam, test day could never be worse. This strategy worked to perfection.
4)review your NBME's and find the right answers for yourself-I think this is HUGE

I got 80% on free120 (after being awake over 24hours) 2 days before exam
anki cards i bought by yousmle- i didnt finish but they definitely helped with weak areas

I did thousands of questions overall but I didnt review them thoroughly, that could have helped me break 240-but maybe not, I know people who did it 3 times and didnt do so well. I refused to step 1 until my nbme was 215 or higher so I would have a cushion from failing, I figured if I went through all the material within a week via FA I could do okay.

during the last week I read FA 2016 along with 2017 PDF changes, I worked on weaknesses from NBME 18 first and also focused on question from uworld on that organ system.

study in a way thats effective for you, I did the videos i mentioned at least twice, most of them I did 3-4 times each. I figured I enjoyed and learnt a lot more by doing lecture videos than reading uworld explanations, at the end your going over the material one way or another. I rather understand it properly as a whole.

I might have missed stuff but feel free to ask anything or PM me if you like.

230+ was a dream of mine and I went hard to see if I could get close

the reddit survey had my NBME 18 215 approximating a score of 232 on step 1, the free 120 was around a 235 i believe and the uworld correlation chart I always laughed at because I was no where near what it said for 63%-234. In the end it was all pretty darn close.

REAL SCORE 232!:soexcited:(first time pass) if i can do it, anyone can

I am a Non-US IMG since I have a green card, here is my story
I went to medical school in europe and did rotations in chicago

It took me approximately 9months-1year in total time to prepare for step 1 with some setbacks (ex: dad in hospital 3 times, funeral in india, stuff everyone deals with but it kept making me "restart" my studying process and it was mentally taxing.

I'm an average student and I want to give hope to anyone who has a dream of doing well on this exam. It's not easy, there are no shortcuts but if it truly is your dream you have to be motivated, work very hard and sacrifice a lot.

Everyone says to do uworld and do it throughly, obviously it works for the masses and thats great but I want to share how I did it for those of us who dont find it effective or enjoy that method. Do not get me wrong questions are extremely important, but doesn't mean you have to spend 4 hours reviewing a block.

I did all of the kaplan videos in: Physio, pharm, biochem, behavoiral, micro...at this time I did half of kaplan qbank
I did pathoma and barone path videos
I did sketchy micro
I did uworld-I finished about 65-70%, first pass i got around a 63% percent. I started at 35% and week before exam I was at 75-85%. all i did was make sure it was timed and random and looked at correct answer after and sometimes read main concept.
I did 70% usmlerx
I did DIT 2015 and DIT 2016-found this to be a great way to read through FA for the first time

I did all the NBME's: I started at a 142 and ended with a 215 on NBME 18 a week before exam
***Please do NBME's online and get feedback, invest a little money on the biggest exam.
1) make sure they are timed with 5-10 min breaks max between blocks, don't lie to yourself or look up answers
2)feel the stress as if its the real deal
3)these are things that will help you be realistic- I would take my nbmes after studying all day and then take them from like 1am-6am-i gave my self harsh conditions and a lot of stress, knowing if I could perform like that before the exam, test day could never be worse. This strategy worked to perfection.
4)review your NBME's and find the right answers for yourself-I think this is HUGE

I got 80% on free120 (after being awake over 24hours) 2 days before exam
anki cards i bought by yousmle- i didnt finish but they definitely helped with weak areas

I did thousands of questions overall but I didnt review them thoroughly, that could have helped me break 240-but maybe not, I know people who did it 3 times and didnt do so well. I refused to step 1 until my nbme was 215 or higher so I would have a cushion from failing, I figured if I went through all the material within a week via FA I could do okay.

during the last week I read FA 2016 along with 2017 PDF changes, I worked on weaknesses from NBME 18 first and also focused on question from uworld on that organ system.

study in a way thats effective for you, I did the videos i mentioned at least twice, most of them I did 3-4 times each. I figured I enjoyed and learnt a lot more by doing lecture videos than reading uworld explanations, at the end your going over the material one way or another. I rather understand it properly as a whole.

I might have missed stuff but feel free to ask anything or PM me if you like.

230+ was a dream of mine and I went hard to see if I could get close

the reddit survey had my NBME 18 215 approximating a score of 232 on step 1, the free 120 was around a 235 i believe and the uworld correlation chart I always laughed at because I was no where near what it said for 63%-234. In the end it was all pretty darn close.

REAL SCORE 232!:soexcited:(first time pass) if i can do it, anyone can

Congrats on your score. can you share your Yousmle anki cards..Thanks