USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
4 weeks left until exam for me. Took NBME 16 today and made huge improvement! Hoping it's not a fluke. For those that took 16-18, did you feel they were good exams? 16 seemed way easier to me than 17/18, but that may just be the increase in knowledge talking.
I plan on doing 19 and UWSA1/2 (1 per week) in the last 3 weeks before my test date. I'm still scared of doing 19 lol.

NBME 17 (baseline 6 weeks ago): 210
NBME 18 (3 weeks ago): 225
NBME 16: 244

Keep up the hard work everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
4 weeks left until exam for me. Took NBME 16 today and made huge improvement! Hoping it's not a fluke. For those that took 16-18, did you feel they were good exams? 16 seemed way easier to me than 17/18, but that may just be the increase in knowledge talking.
I plan on doing 19 and UWSA1/2 (1 per week) in the last 3 weeks before my test date. I'm still scared of doing 19 lol.

great improvement! what have you done in the last few weeks to make that improvement?

great improvement! what have you done in the last few weeks to make that improvement?
All I've really been doing is UFAPS. Over the last 3 weeks I've gone through FA/Pathoma/SketchyMicro once and continued with daily Uworld questions. For FA/pathoma I'd do 1 section each day (ex: Pathoma repro videos and then read the Repro FA section) and follow that with 1 block of Uworld. I then go over Uworld meticulously. Before bed I tend to watch Sketchy videos or read Micro FA for an hour just to keep it all fresh. Rinse/repeat!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All I've really been doing is UFAPS. Over the last 3 weeks I've gone through FA/Pathoma/SketchyMicro once and continued with daily Uworld questions. For FA/pathoma I'd do 1 section each day (ex: Pathoma repro videos and then read the Repro FA section) and follow that with 1 block of Uworld. I then go over Uworld meticulously. Before bed I tend to watch Sketchy videos or read Micro FA for an hour just to keep it all fresh. Rinse/repeat!

I went up +17 points from NBME 15-NBME 16 about a week ago studying for 4 weeks. I will take NBME 17 this weekend after a week of just doing the same thing so will see what happens. Haven't changed much in my study habits and hope to improve a little more/see where the curve puts me.

I went up +17 points from NBME 15-NBME 16 about a week ago studying for 4 weeks. I will take NBME 17 this weekend after a week of just doing the same thing so will see what happens. Haven't changed much in my study habits and hope to improve a little more/see where the curve puts me.
Nice! I'm thinking that the improvement for me is that I have finally seen material enough times to start recognizing the subtleties more often. Hoping my improvement stays consistent as well. Keep up the awesome work!

Reactions: 1 user

sounds very ideal to me, well done. my school only gave us up to 5 weeks for dedicated so I feel really pressed doing Uworld every day. I wish i could do 40 questions a day and focus elsewhere but it just isn't enough time and I feel pretty awful. i've got three weeks left and i'm no where near where i want to be. struggling with if i should accept not finishing Uworld to do more FA/pathoma or vice versa. awful position to be in with such an important exam

Great going! How much UWorld have you done so far?
Good luck!

The questions on the nbme exams are much easier than uworld questions because the vignettes are shorter and they're not trying to trick you for the most part. Uworld includes a lot of extraneous information that tries to confuse you and takes up your time, while the nbme vignettes usually only include the bare minimum (and sometimes you'll be pissed because it oftentimes seems like they hardly give you anything at all). Don't be nervous to take it, it's a good learning experience.
Well I can definately agree with you on the ambiguity on some of the questions after taking 18

Just scored a 200 on UWSA2. After reviewing it I changed 15 answers from correct to incorrect. Can anyone give any insight as to what to do? I'm basically low in subjects I haven't gotten to yet...

Just scored a 200 on UWSA2. After reviewing it I changed 15 answers from correct to incorrect. Can anyone give any insight as to what to do? I'm basically low in subjects I haven't gotten to yet...

Start working on the subjects you haven't gotten to yet.

Start working on the subjects you haven't gotten to yet.
Yeah I will.. my breakdown was just horrible
65%, 57%, 65%, 50%.. I feel like something was up with me on the last block because I swear I changed two answers but it didn't register.

Great going! How much UWorld have you done so far?
Good luck!

I've done about 85% of Uworld with a ~70% average and will be finishing it up next week. Though, for the last month or so my averages have been 70s-80s (started in the 40s-60s). My hope is to get through it a 2nd time in the next 4 weeks.

Keep that motivation high friends!

I thought you were 5 days out? Why are there things you haven't gotten to yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I will.. my breakdown was just horrible
65%, 57%, 65%, 50%.. I feel like something was up with me on the last block because I swear I changed two answers but it didn't register.
Is there any chance that you can push back your test?
You've been very encouraging to people on this thread, I don't wanna see you in a position that would jeopardize your opportunities in the future.
Your went from 207 on NBME to a 200 on UWSA after 4 weeks of studying. You probably have more content down now, but might have issues with application to the questions. More time to do UWorld and/or other NMBE's might be the thing to bring your score up.

Is there any chance that you can push back your test?
You've been very encouraging to people on this thread, I don't wanna see you in a position that would jeopardize your opportunities in the future.
Your went from 207 on NBME to a 200 on UWSA after 4 weeks of studying. You probably have more content down now, but might have issues with application to the questions. More time to do UWorld and/or other NMBE's might be the thing to bring your score up.
Unfortunately, no. Personal circumstances prevent me from pushing my test date back.

Unfortunately, no. Personal circumstances prevent me from pushing my test date back.
Just saw your post. Say if you didn't change your answer, you would be sitting around 210-220+ right now. If I were in your position, I'd hit 1x FA (especially weak area) + first couple high yield chapters on Pathoma + memorize as many drugs as I can in the next 5 days. GL though. Keep us update.

Okay. Here's my advice, and please take it with a grain of salt, I also had a lot going on during my dedicated that prevented a full review of UFAP and take my test 2 days after you:
Since there is no other choice, try not to panic. It's gonna happen. You've never failed an NBME or UWSA. I think you had a high 190 10 weeks out, a 207, and a 200. Frustration and anxiety will work against you during the exam. It will snowball and you will not be able to think clearly.
Work on the areas identified as weak on your most recent test. Exercise a bit everyday (anaerobic). Get a good amount of sleep every night until your test. Optimize your ability to think through the problem.
I wish you luck. I know it's not where you had hoped to be, but here you are.
Come to think of it, I think this is advice that I will take myself...

Just saw your post. Say if you didn't change your answer, you would be sitting around 210-220+ right now. If I were in your position, I'd hit 1x FA (especially weak area) + first couple high yield chapters on Pathoma + memorize many drugs as I can in the next 5 days. GL though. Keep us update.
Thank you. I plan to review weak subjects (endo, repro, renal, MSK) in the next week + pharm. exam is on Friday. Hopefully I have enough time to bump it up to at least a 230.

hello doctors
i scored nbme 17 213 2 weeks ago
UWA 2 230 1 week ago
UWA 1 215 today
i am so exhausted ,aiming for 230
any advise thanks

Last edited:
But your avatar looks like he needs a benzo...

That makes one of us. I need 50. Stat.

Not all at once obvi.

stupid question... in order to find dates, did you just search for open dates, and then go to "reschedule" your appointment once you saw a date open? i'm scared to hit reschedule in fear it'll boot me from my slot and then another one won't be available or something

Yup, you don't actually lose your spot until you confirm another one. Resched and cancel are two different options.

Good luck dude, only issue in my opinion with pushing it back is if you will be able to retain the info till then. I know at least for myself i cant retain stuff in detail for a long time thats why i think 6 weeks is ideal

I had a forced and unforced break in there. 3 weeks to a T left. I hope all the random BS that's been happening lately lets off. I have work to do!

Got my score back this past Weds

NBME 13 3/5/17 248
NBME 15 3/14/17 246
NBME 19 3/31/17 257
NBME 16 4/14/17 265
NBME17 4/18/17 269
NBME18 4/21/17 255

Real thing (April 2017)= 257

uworld twice, with first aid. its the recipe that never fails. imo always get the newest edition - there was a lot of new info in 2017 vs. 2016. also sketchy micro and pharm is gold. I have no idea how i would have learned the neuro/psych/antiarrhythmic w/o sketchy pharm. FA is just a vomit of info, and no uworld question captures all of the concepts in a single place like the pharm videos do. Another thing I found useful - if you are using the paper copy of FA you are doing in wrong (at least imo). it's a massive waste of time looking up buzzwords in the index. get an online version of FA, open up like 5-9 version, and search function terms. and pay attention to every single time the buzzwords you are searching are noted in the text (e.g. if you search retinitis, look at every single place where it is mentioned. it helps to build contrast b/w subjects). it the beginning it is painful and there is so much you don't know. but it gets faster, eventually. like months later (for me!). i never actually read FA front to back but I definitely had seen every page multiple times using this method. in terms of pathoma, it's definitely high yield. a few questions were indeed "high yield" as he mentions in his videos. but these are typically random facts. they are good to know, and good to be familiar with for sure during your test, but i feel this is a resource best maximized in the last weeks of study, where you can tie together concepts you already know with the small high yield details he provides.

I took my classes seriously the first year of school. in the end, the info i probably learned wasn't super high yield but i probably became more familiar with the language of medicine. second year, i tried to do at least 40Q from each system with my school's systems based modules. i think this was really important. you don't have to do every question to get a feel for how the subject as a whole is tested in uworld/nbme format. around january, i started doing 40Q random and timed. i finally finished uworld first pass at the beginning of april, and did the second pass within the month of april.

Reactions: 13 users
So im also planning on taking an NBME a week out from the test. Ive been wondering what there is to actually gain from taking them so close to the exam, considering theres really no time remaining
The only gain is you might see a question or two from the nbme on the actual exam. I got 2 questions from nbme 19 on the real deal

Just popping in as I'm nearing the end of first year and step 1 isn't as far away anymore. I know most people say wait to start UW during dedicated, but the people who start UW early and get 2+ passes through seem to be the highest scorers here. Is there something to this trend, or am I mistaken?

Just popping in as I'm nearing the end of first year and step 1 isn't as far away anymore. I know most people say wait to start UW during dedicated, but the people who start UW early and get 2+ passes through seem to be the highest scorers here. Is there something to this trend, or am I mistaken?

I bought UWorld early in my second year to help me through the modules (heme/onc and respiratory at my school are notoriously tough). If you're a good question-based learner, then I recommend it. However, I know plenty of my classmates did well using USMLERx or Firecracker first and saving UWorld until later. It's your call.

FYI - I only got through half of UWorld (gasp!) and still got a 239. I used the FA Q+A book and multiple NBMEs.

Reactions: 2 users
I've debated posting, but it seems few other people from the 4/24 week have:

NBME (in order)
15- 234 (~4 weeks out)
16- 255 (~3 weeks out)
17- 242 (~2 weeks out)
18- 257 (~9 days out)
19- 238 (~1 week out)

NBME Free 120 109/120 (~90%, 2 days out, doubled with UWSA2)

UWSA (in order)
1- 260 (~1.5 weeks out)
2- 254 (2 days out)

Real test on 4/24: 255

Reactions: 8 users
That makes one of us. I need 50. Stat.

Not all at once obvi.

Yup, you don't actually lose your spot until you confirm another one. Resched and cancel are two different options.

I had a forced and unforced break in there. 3 weeks to a T left. I hope all the random BS that's been happening lately lets off. I have work to do!

sorry, just want to be clear as i'm paranoid lol. does that mean you searched for dates using the "find available openings" function or whatever, then once you found one, you hit "reschedule" and were able to just swap dates? thanks again!

Hey nice work. I just took UWSA 1 and my predicted score is 251 which seems a bit high (77.25% overall, block avgs: 72, 75, 72, 90). I found it really tough though, much harder than the NBMEs, although I made some pretty dumb mistakes. I heard uworld changed up their scaling for UWSA- does it still overpredict?

I hope not but lol. I took UWSA1 as my baseline start of dedicated and got 243, which seems way too high to me given the weaknesses I feel I have. that last block seemed strangely kind of easy compared to the rest, I can see you had a similar phenomenon.

Hey nice work. I just took UWSA 1 and my predicted score is 251 which seems a bit high (77.25% overall, block avgs: 72, 75, 72, 90). I found it really tough though, much harder than the NBMEs, although I made some pretty dumb mistakes. I heard uworld changed up their scaling for UWSA- does it still overpredict?
Thanks! I try to be realistic when making the generalized statements about prediction, mainly because no one has properly gathered and analyzed the data to answer that question. I don't put too much value in eyeballing scores and saying "I think I remember seeing that test x over/under predicts." From what I've noticed, again without any sort of reliable scientific/statistical practice behind it, is that UWSAs appear to be more accurate in recent months. Eyeballing my case and saying UWSA1 over predicted doesn't really give the full picture or any relevant answer for you or anyone else, unfortunately.

I will say that I found UWSA1 to be a bit more challenging than some NBMEs and was expecting a lower score. I think the real exam had some UWSA-like questions, with a fair amount of NBME style questions mixed in. The only difference is the answer choices were worded much more weirdly than most cases in NBMEs or UWSAs. I would read a vignette and actually know the diagnosis, a bunch of information, then get to the answers and have to put on the brakes to see what most likely fit my knowledge or what wording seemed most reasonable with the overall picture.

Overall, without the raw data summarized to answer this, I would only say that you're not out of range for that kind of score, unless your NBMEs are dramatically lower. How have your NBMEs been?

NBME (in order)
15- 234 (~4 weeks out)
16- 255 (~3 weeks out)
17- 242 (~2 weeks out)
18- 257 (~9 days out)
19- 238 (~1 week out)

UWSA (in order)
1- 260 (~1.5 weeks out)
2- 254 (2 days out)

Great score. My practice scores are pretty darn close to yours so I'd be ecstatic with a 255.

My hypothesis:

More SDNers take NBME practice tests > higher average scores on practice tests > tougher curves > SDNers killing the real exam against non-SDNers.

Plausible?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I move to amend SDN to GSDN (Gunner Student Doctor Network)

Reactions: 4 users

NBME (in order)
15- 234 (~4 weeks out)
16- 255 (~3 weeks out)
17- 242 (~2 weeks out)
18- 257 (~9 days out)
19- 238 (~1 week out)

UWSA (in order)
1- 260 (~1.5 weeks out)
2- 254 (2 days out)

How did you improve 19 points in one week from nbme 15 to 16 : O

sorry, just want to be clear as i'm paranoid lol. does that mean you searched for dates using the "find available openings" function or whatever, then once you found one, you hit "reschedule" and were able to just swap dates? thanks again!

....seriously?

Just click the damn reschedule button and follow the instructions. It doesn't change your date till you tell it to.

Ya, that's why I'm staying away lol. I still have 16-18 that I could do an UWSA2

I would do it! Just to get exposure because people have said that similar questions show up on the real thing from the exam yes your ego might take a hit but that's why you do the easy one last uwsa2

Can someone please explain the difference between Oral Hairy Leukoplakia and Leukoplakia?
Is it true that only Leukoplakia is precancerous and OHL is not? How come?

Can someone please explain the difference between Oral Hairy Leukoplakia and Leukoplakia?
Yea thats the big difference i think (and that EBV causes ORAL leukoplakia)

Oral hairy leukoplakia is EBV, lateral tongue, not pre-cancerous.

Leukoplakia is dysplasia, probably carcinogen induced (smoking, alcohol). Pre-cancerous.

from my understanding of it OHL is strictly a hyperplastic response whereas leukoplakia's etiology leads to potential dysplastic growth secondary to damage/irritation which is why it's precancerous.

EBV can cause dysplasia which is why I was initially confused as well. So I was able to muster this from my notes:

OHL => not associated with an increased risk of progression to SCC based on incidence; population is usually HIV-positive or immunosuppressed. At this point in their treatment they are much likely to die from pneumonia or some other nosocomial-type infection.

It very well may cause SCC, but maybe they don't live long enough to develop it??

Source: Up-To-Date

Yea thats the big difference i think (and that EBV causes ORAL leukoplakia)

Oral hairy leukoplakia is EBV, lateral tongue, not pre-cancerous.

Leukoplakia is dysplasia, probably carcinogen induced (smoking, alcohol). Pre-cancerous.

from my understanding of it OHL is strictly a hyperplastic response whereas leukoplakia's etiology leads to potential dysplastic growth secondary to damage/irritation which is why it's precancerous.

EBV can cause dysplasia which is why I was initially confused as well. So I was able to muster this from my notes:

OHL => not associated with an increased risk of progression to SCC based on incidence; population is usually HIV-positive or immunosuppressed. At this point in their treatment they are much likely to die from pneumonia or some other nosocomial-type infection.

It very well may cause SCC, but maybe they don't live long enough to develop it??

Source: Up-To-Date

Thank you guys for the answers! I had no idea that these two were different things until today. But I got it now :)

studying endocrine today so I'm going to be asking some questions because I'm desperate for quick explanations.

Why does cortisol cause hirsutism? I get that cortisol decreases GnRH which decreases FSH and LH but my thought was that low FSH and low LH would decrease androgens. Is it because the androgens that remain are so low that they can only undergo one step (conversion to androgen) and not two (androgens to estrogens)?

Why does low cortisol cause postural hypotension? This has me confused. It also causes abdominal pain and diarrhea, so does cortisol have some type of muscarinic effects or something?

What's up guys... Just took NBME 19. I thought the question stems were insanely short, like half of the test was one line questions. Also I felt like the questions were pretty straight forward. It seems like questions on the real deal are much longer and more convoluted from what Ive been hearing. Anyone want to compare NBME 19 and the real thing (question length/difficulty wise)?

So I got 6 less wrong on this one , as compared to nbme 16 which I got a 230 on , this one I got a 228 . You would think I would at least go up to 232 if not stay at a 230 but no LOL. From what I've seen on people's previous post they are at least hitting 90% to get a 240