SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

Discussion in 'Step I' started by WeedForLunch, Aug 8, 2016.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. LyMed

LyMed

May 4, 2017
    I personally wouldn't. You'll always feel like you could have done more, but in the end you just have to trust that you can perform on test day.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Gorne

Gorne 2+ Year Member

Oct 30, 2014
    Do whatever you need to do, but you also run the risk of heading in the wrong direction.

Rodeo clown likes this.
  4. sss2g2

sss2g2 2+ Year Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Recommendations on how to get into the zone. How to stay calm during the exam. Recommendations for dividing up breaks? Also any movie/youtube/music recommendations for the night before? 1 day to go!

5. CallExner

CallExner

Jun 6, 2017
    that was exactly my score lol

mymembernames likes this.
  6. Rekt

Rekt 2+ Year Member

May 29, 2015
    I would not. After remembering some of the ones I missed, it wouldn't have mattered if I had an extra two weeks. There's things that will come out of left field that you just cannot prepare for.

mymembernames, Rodeo clown and sss2g2 like this.
  7. Rodeo clown

Rodeo clown

Apr 20, 2017
    You all make valid points. Hope and trust are probably my pillars of strength as of now. Look for my experience post in the coming weeks.Hopefully, I'll Be one of those people who say " I used to be in the 230s range, on NBMEs, but got a 250 on the real deal." See y'all on the other side guys.[/QUOTE]

AlteredScale likes this.
  8. SynapticDoctah

SynapticDoctah 2+ Year Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Good luck! Leave some 250 scores for the rest of us!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

pathlologist and Rodeo clown like this.
  9. meatie

meatie 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2014
    just take it. i wish i had moved my test up 2 weeks instead of delaying it.

Newyawk, Rodeo clown and AlteredScale like this.
  10. Jimson Weed

Jimson Weed

Jun 14, 2017
    I did about 5-10 minutes of deep breathing/meditation between blocks and took lunch after block 4. Even with that, the adrenaline flow made it very tough to become totally calm haha. I'd say it helped me out quite a bit more than if I hadn't though!

AlteredScale likes this.
  11. SynapticDoctah

Mar 12, 2013
    Can you take your lunch break whenever? Like you can literally do whatever with your breaks?

12. Event_Horizon

Event_Horizon

Mar 29, 2016
    USMLE yes, COMLEX no (break after block 2, lunch after block 4, break after block 6).

13. SynapticDoctah

Mar 12, 2013
    Okay, cool.

I am gonna go to Thai after block 1. Should hold me over for blocks 2-7.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

14. LyMed

LyMed

May 4, 2017
    I always like deep breathing. It's a simple thing that works pretty well. Just a slow 3 second inhale, hold a second, then a 3 second exhale.

IM/EM/CCM, sss2g2 and Rodeo clown like this.
  15. SynapticDoctah

Mar 12, 2013
    That's what...
    ...nevermind.

Osteoth and Nunchuk like this.
  16. Event_Horizon

Event_Horizon

Mar 29, 2016
    Show time tomorrow! So excited to finally get USMLE done, then COMLEX on Friday, and then be done with these crazy exams! Like others have said, it is such a surreal feeling for my test week to finally be here. Anyone have any day-before suggestions other than relaxing and/or going over HY FA? I think I'm just gonna read HY FA before bed along with my 30pg condensed Uworld notes.

sss2g2, zoreo09, Rodeo clown and 2 others like this.
  17. sss2g2

sss2g2 2+ Year Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Nice we're twins! Got the exam tomorrow. Yeah it is a weird feeling. I'm just reviewing all those memorizing details like lymph nodes, some biostats, the high yield review in the back of FA and some details I mike confuse on the day of the exam. Good luck!

Rodeo clown and AlteredScale like this.
  18. Event_Horizon

Event_Horizon

Mar 29, 2016
    You too, friend! We are gonna rock it :)

sss2g2 and Rodeo clown like this.
  19. shoobie

shoobie 2+ Year Member

Jun 20, 2013
  20. Spodermin

Spodermin

Jun 18, 2017
    Been a lurker for a while and thought I'd make an account.
    I don't know how I feel tbh. Exam is in 3 days and this has been my progress

NBME 15 - 230 (30 incorrect)
    NBME 16 - 240 (24 incorrect)
    NBME 19 - 215 (didn't study for a few days after) (35 incorrect)
    NBME 17 - 225 (didn't study for 1 day after) (29 incorrect)
    NBME 18 - 236 (32 incorrect)
    Free 120 - 89%

I went into this aiming for 250, but now I just want to cross 240
    What's really frustrating is that the majority of my mistakes are questions that I didn't star, and I star aprox 15 questions per block.

21. wdoc

wdoc OMS-III 2+ Year Member

May 28, 2014
    Can someone comment on the free 120 and why they seem to be incorporated into everyone's self evaluation? Other than the fact that they are free, are they any different than the NBME's?

22. Nunchuk

Nunchuk

Jan 29, 2017
    Stay confident dude! You worked hard for this exam, and at this point, having confidence and a solid gameday mindset will take you to your goals. Don't dwell too much on NBME 17/19 as they characteristically have tougher scales and are known to underpredict (esp 19 bigtime). Go in to the exam with the mindset that you will rock the exam and use the adrenaline to push you through the 7 blocks and you will.

I'm taking it on Friday and am in a similar position as you, but at this point, I've resorted to reviewing my weaknesses and resting my brain for the big day so I have a positive attitude with full alertness so I can minimize my silly errors. Was gonna fly thru all of FA these final 4 days but I'm nauseated by that book at this point. I'm also doing a couple Kaplan questions offline just to keep my brain active as with my 2nd pass of UWorld, I'm finding myself remembering too many answers.

Idk about you, but my spidey-senses are telling me that you will hit 240s and maybe even 250s like your original goal. Don't dwell on practice exam scores too much because again, some of them are notorious by underpredicting by varying amount of points and again they are practice.

Not the real exam... not the real exam, but practice <AI's voice>

23. AthleteDoc7

AthleteDoc7 2+ Year Member

Nov 5, 2014
    they let you test the actual format of how the exam will feel, as well as letting you try out some of the multimedia you may see on questions and do the tutorial for exam day.

24. Gorne

Gorne 2+ Year Member

Oct 30, 2014
    Watching GoT battle of the bastards to prepare for tomorrow morning. Bring it NBME you *****.

Nunchuk, pathlologist, jgalt and 4 others like this.
  25. Ace Khalifa

Ace Khalifa I am the definition of awesomeness 2+ Year Member

Jun 18, 2014
    MDApps:
    First of all, I highly approve of your username and avatar. Secondly, remember that NBMEs underpredict your true potential. Have you done the UWSAs? UWSA2 in particular has been proven to be more accurate in score prediction nowadays. Thirdly, focus on weak areas including those questions you missed on these practice exams. I would also miss a bunch that I didn't star either from misreading a question or straight up using then wrong related concept to answer the question. You can still hit your peak in the last few days, I'm pretty sure I did. Good luck!

Rodeo clown likes this.
  26. SynapticDoctah

Mar 12, 2013
    I agree with this. Make sure you go through your NBMEs and see what you missed. If you are missing stuff just because you misread the question or had a brain fart...that's an easy fix. You now that you need to read more carefully. That is a much better spot to be in than purely just not knowing information and getting questions wrong.

Nunchuk likes this.
  27. Nunchuk

Nunchuk

Jan 29, 2017
    ^ Story of my life. I feel like once you get to a certain point on NBMEs/UWSAs, it becomes a matter of fine-tuning test taking strategy to power thru all the questions with the same mindset and clear state of mind than learning new things

28. Dolores_Abernathy

Dolores_Abernathy

Jun 18, 2017
    Finally made an account! My step 1 is on Friday... :dead:

NBME 13= 261 (7 weeks out)
    NBME 18= 257 (4 weeks out)
    NBME 17= 273 (4 weeks out-- I stacked 17 and 18 and did 17 2nd)
    Uworld sim 2= 271 (3 weeks out)
    NBME 16= 266 (3 weeks out)
    Uworld sim 1= 279 (2 weeks out)
    Free 120= 95% (1 week out)

My practice scores have far exceeded my expectations, but they really don't mean anything if I can't do the same on Friday! I've seen a lot of people on SDN who have done relatively similar on their true step 1's or even better, but most people at my school who have had similar practice scores ended up scoring between 240-250, so that's where my expectations are.

I burnt out pretty hard with 3 weeks left and had a major panic attack (went to the ER but doing better now!). I skipped NBME 19 because I heard a lot of people's averages went down, and at this point I'm trying to just keep my mental health as best as possible (nooooo more panic attacks pleasseeee!!!!). I also skipped 15 originally because NBME's are expensive and I heard it wasn't the best one. I think the thing I find most surprising about this whole process is that no matter what mood I am in, how prepared I think I am, when I take a practice exam I still find them really hard and always think I did so poorly afterwards-- so hopefully that helps other people who might feel the same way not feel alone!

I can post about my study plan if it might help anyone. Since I haven't taken the actual exam, I can't say if it worked or not yet!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Mark Koch likes this.
  29. Rahas

Rahas

Mar 4, 2017
    @Dolores_Abernathy

Do you mind sharing your number of mistakes in NBMEs 16 and 17?

Also I have difficulty believing people with similar scores end up with 240-250. There might be some exaggeration, or maybe only some tests where they score this highly, but you've done consistently well across the board. I think all you need now is to stay calm and avoid silly mistakes. Good luck!

30. Dolores_Abernathy

Dolores_Abernathy

Jun 18, 2017
    I missed 8 on NBME 16, and I missed 3 on NBME 17.

I stacked NBME 18 and 17 because I am a really slow reader and have a hard time focusing so I thought it might be good to try to help my endurance. I did 18 in the morning, 1 hour lunch break, then took 17 in the afternoon. But I found that NBME 18 and 17 did share a lot of similarities, so I'm sure that's why my 17 score is so high.

I also want to mention I usually mark 22% of my questions-- these are questions that I am not 100% certain I got the answer right, aka questions where I didn't rely on pure knowledge/memory and had to use some sort of logic or reasoning that could have been flawed.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  31. AlteredScale

AlteredScale SDN Senior Moderator 2+ Year Member

May 10, 2013
    A beautiful cubicle space.
    You're scores are insanely high!

What did you do to prepare??

32. Nunchuk

Nunchuk

Jan 29, 2017
    Wow, show some mercy on those practice exams, they have feelings too you know.

Jealousy aside lol, you've clearly worked hard and are in great shape. Carry your momentum to the real thing and without a doubt, you'll annihilate it!

ridethecliche and pathlologist like this.
  33. Dolores_Abernathy

Dolores_Abernathy

Jun 18, 2017
    Short answer:

Throughout MS2 I used the classic resources as my main study tools (First Aid, Uworld, Pathoma, Sketchy, with other random resources thrown in when I needed additional help). The best advice I had received before starting med school was to try to understand everything as much as possible.

I can definitely write a more helpful and detailed post with what I did and wish I had done instead!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  34. trs88

trs88 2+ Year Member

Mar 20, 2013
    TN or Texas
    Hey all, I'm interested in hearing a few suggestions on how to fix my brain :/ . I take comlex on the 28 and then usmle on the july for the 19th, so I'll have 3 full weeks of more dedicated studying. I've talked to a few friends and I should pass comlex but my issue is with step. I keep hearing a million different stories (from friends) about how the test is. One guy said he got a ton of buzz words and he was able to do fine, another friend I talked to said that his test was nothing but 2nd, 3rd order questions. After reading everyone's stories here, I know the tests are pretty much random on what you get but the last test type is why I'd like some thoughts on how to prepare. My brain is either wired poorly or I'm just that bad at answering 3rd order questions (probably both lol).

Regarding NBMEs, I'm right at borderline of passing step, like 190-200 lvl meaning I still need to work on my foundation. Which I am. I've finished uworld and will probably grab a kaplan qbank to use during the 3 weeks while I review FA, pathoma, and uworld notes. But that's my issue. Those materials wont be "good enough" for my brain and 3rd order questions. I can memorize things and go "uh hu, I can see how they tie together" but I can't go beyond that. I'm also not that great at physio so I'm thinking of picking up Physeo to help me understand stuff better.

TL;DR - dumb person, did uworld, 3 weeks study time, how train brain to ~think/reason out~ better.
    Thanks!

35. Dolores_Abernathy

Dolores_Abernathy

Jun 18, 2017

I think looking into Boards and Beyond might be extremely helpful for you. It's a video based resource similar to pathoma but covers the majority of subjects in First Aid. It may help you improve your foundation! But I would not recommend that being the only thing you do, definitely continue to do questions with it.

trs88 likes this.
  36. trs88

trs88 2+ Year Member

Mar 20, 2013
    TN or Texas
    Thanks but I'm already using B&B. Almost done with my first pass through of it.

37. CwAs

CwAs 2+ Year Member

Jan 22, 2014
    When are you expecting to get your scores? We tested a day apart.

38. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Meep Meep Meep 5+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Tied to a library chair
    @Dolores_Abernathy

All your hard work over the last two years is paying off. Keep your head about you. You got this!

Good luck!

39. Ace Khalifa

Ace Khalifa I am the definition of awesomeness 2+ Year Member

Jun 18, 2014
    MDApps:
    Probs early July. I don't think we'd also get them on June 28th like the majority of people on here.

40. Clopidogrhelin

Clopidogrhelin

May 29, 2017
    Hey everyone, if I took step on May 31 I can be fairly certain I'll receive my score June 28 rather than the 3 wk mark which would be this coming Wednesday, June 21, right?

41. mymembernames

mymembernames 7+ Year Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Yes, see below. I guess so many probably contacted NBME that they decided to update there website today again lol

upload_2017-6-19_13-17-6.png

42. Clopidogrhelin

Clopidogrhelin

May 29, 2017
    Ok thank you! I figured but it's such an excruciating wait lol

mymembernames likes this.
  43. Gorne

Gorne 2+ Year Member

Oct 30, 2014
    So I finished the exam at 5 pm, got fingerprinted to leave, then the power shut off in the entire building. Everyone got kicked off mid exam.

44. SynapticDoctah

Mar 12, 2013
    WHAT!?

45. Event_Horizon

Event_Horizon

Mar 29, 2016
    What a day! Here is my short-term recap before my mind goes blank. First and foremost, if you prepared well for the USMLE, the most important advice I have is to keep your anxiety to a minimum leading up to the test. I tried my best and really felt it let me get through blocks with a more level mind. Additionally, if you just accept the fact that 1/3 of the test is going to be super complicated/unknown things to you (maybe even more depending on the version you get) you will have a much more pleasant test experience. Freaking out every time you see something foreign is just a recipe for disaster (I understand how anxiety provoking this is, but I CANNOT stress this enough). For those wondering about specifics, specifics don't matter. I don't care who says it, but there is nothing you can do to prepare for some questions, so don't even try. The best course of study is to be prepared IN ALL AREAS. I definitely noticed a trend with people suggesting to look a milestones and sexual development before their exam and I can confirm that this can come up. Maybe not on every exam, but I definitely had a few questions that were explicitly asking you to differentiate between milestones and/or sexual development items (actual specifics and not something you could figure out intuitively from the stem).

I barely had any biochem or drug side effects on my exam, which is really a disappointment because I studied so hard for them in the few days leading up to my exam (oh well!). DO NOT neglect those areas just because I say this. Your exam could be very biochem/side effect heavy. I can confirm the trend that I have seen in that oncology specifics seem to be coming up a lot on the exam. I felt FA did an OK job preparing for this, but many questions were so specific about things not in FA or you had to infer outside of your knowledge base (or at least my knowledge base) for many questions, so there is no way to prepare for this. Another bane of my test were the infamous arrow/hormone-regulation questions. It felt like literally every 3rd question for me was a physiologic arrow question. Even on simple concepts, you really need to be strong in knowing how things change in pathological states (looking at you PTH/Vitd/Calcium/Cardiovascular/RAAS topics) and be prepared to see them in NOVEL SITUATIONS. These types of questions can really only be answered intuitively if you know the physiology behind them because they aren't going to give you classical scenarios and many of the answer choices may seem equally correct depending on the pathology behind the question.

Biostats and ethics were equally weird, with a mix of easy and very vague/hard questions. I do not feel there is really anything one could do to prepare for some of these, so know the major concepts and formulas and just be prepared for the WTF questions to move on from. FA and sketchy was more than enough for the Micro on my exam, but that does not mean that your exam version will not have crazy micro questions. My certainly did, but the majority were stuff in FA. More importantly, its very important to know the MOST COMMON of bugs for certain conditions. It is definitely easy to lose sight of this when you are chugging out Uworld 3rd/4th order micro questions and get used to the question stem giving you identifiers for bugs. I had many questions with no identifiers that you just had to know what the most common bug was, so be prepared for that.

Lastly, BE PREPARED TO SEE QUESTIONS ABOUT NORMAL. I realized this doing the Free 120 and confirmed it with my test. Be completely prepared to be given a question stem about NORMAL parameters. We get so used to looking at every detail for some pathological condition that normal variation may slip under you nose without you noticing. DO NOT get tripped up by this on exam day. My best advice for this is just don't overthink a question. If you get a hypochromic blood smear with a 25yo woman at a routine check up with no fatigue and no other identifiers she probably has some simple subclinical Fe-deficiency anemia, not some crazy mutant of Beta-thal that you have never heard of (this wasn't on my test, but just an example!).

I really felt my specific exam was a good mixture of everything. There really is not better advice than to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. There becomes a point where anything after is just useless worry and there is nothing you can do about it. If you prepared properly, the exam is totally manageable so long as you keep a level head and don't get overwhelmed. There will be questions you absolutely know! Hard versions get accentuated by the fact that it is easier to remember the WTF questions than the easy ones. I felt my test was about medium difficulty with a mixture of terribly complex and extremely straightforward questions. That said, there were almost NO 1st order questions on my exam version. Almost everything was at least 2nd, if not all 3rd order. I'll try to update more as I think of stuff, but if anyone has any specific questions just let me know! On to COMLEX this Friday. Thanks to everyone who has given me support for the USMLE over the last months; ya'll the best. Gonna get my relaxing on for the rest of the evening.

cjcarter, Zulu7, goal270 and 11 others like this.
  46. LyMed

LyMed

May 4, 2017
    Congrats on being done with the STEP! Best wishes on the COMLEX!

Event_Horizon likes this.
  47. sss2g2

sss2g2 2+ Year Member

Dec 24, 2014
    FREEEEEEEEEEEDOM!!!!

48. Brorthopedic

Brorthopedic 2+ Year Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Doctor's Lounge
    Studying for the COMLEX after taking the USMLE is annoying. I'll come across a concept/disease that I remember was on my exam, but not enough context to look up the answer... It's more of a tease than anything really

49. Event_Horizon

Event_Horizon

Mar 29, 2016
    Just realized I literally had no acid/base questions at all on my exam lol. No pulm, renal, NOTHIN'. Just had to vent that. Why do we even try :yeahright:

SynapticDoctah likes this.
  50. SynapticDoctah

Mar 12, 2013
    Sounds like a great exam hahaha

Event_Horizon likes this.
  51. The Dayman

The Dayman

May 17, 2017
    Great write-up. I feel like you hit the nail on the head. Awesome advice!