USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
do percentiles on nbme's and on the real step 1 correlate? like 94% correct on nbme is a 260 the same as on the real step?
Percentiles are different from the percent correct. Scoring 94% correct isn't necessarily the same as the 94th percentile.
Percentiles may very well be useful in predicting, but not many people seem to talk about them. Percent correct is somewhat silly since you don't ever know your percent correct on the real exam as another person pointed out.

Lol not sure if what you said was sarcastic or not but thanks nonetheless. Hope the latter part of what you said comes true though. If it does, I owe you one lol

Not sarcasm. Well the sympathy part maybe. But I hope you do hit it! I also hope you don't have the same test as me lol

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I just took Step 1 today and I'm honestly feeling kind of nervous about it. I have been consistently scoring above a 250 on all of my practice exams, but on step 1 I ended up marking about 45 questions that I wasn't 100% sure about and I missed at least 5 so far. Does anyone have any tips/advice or can tell me how they have fared so far in regards to how many they marked? Thanks!

How well did you do on questions you marked in your practice tests? 45 in 7 blocks is not that many regardless, though some of this depends on your strategy for marking questions. Lastly, unless you are completely guessing then you probably have better than a 50/50 shot at most of those so if you were scoring consistently above 250 I'd say you are in good shape.

Members don't see this ad :)
How well did you do on questions you marked in your practice tests? 45 in 7 blocks is not that many regardless, though some of this depends on your strategy for marking questions. Lastly, unless you are completely guessing then you probably have better than a 50/50 shot at most of those so if you were scoring consistently above 250 I'd say you are in good shape.
I was able to narrow them down quite a bit, but I still felt uncomfortable about them.

Does anyone know if scores will be released July 5? I have heard from some students that NBME never releases scores the week of July 4th and then others say that now they do. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Does anyone know if scores will be released July 5? I have heard from some students that NBME never releases scores the week of July 4th and then others say that now they do. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
according to the website thats a no. so I'm assuming no (my score would be released that week if it was. id be really happy if that was to change T.T)

Hey guys! I just took Step 1 today and I'm honestly feeling kind of nervous about it. I have been consistently scoring above a 250 on all of my practice exams, but on step 1 I ended up marking about 45 questions that I wasn't 100% sure about and I missed at least 5 so far. Does anyone have any tips/advice or can tell me how they have fared so far in regards to how many they marked? Thanks!

I feel the same way about my test and was aiming for a score close to my NBME too. But, unlike you, I had more marked items and a few days after my test, I kept remembering questions I wasn't sure of and have counted at least 17 that I got wrong. So, I guess at this point, it's all a matter of hoping for the best. Tbh though, I think you're fine.

I feel the same way about my test and was aiming for a score close to my NBME too. But, unlike you, I had more marked items and a few days after my test, I kept remembering questions I wasn't sure of and have counted at least 17 that I got wrong. So, I guess at this point, it's all a matter of hoping for the best. Tbh though, I think you're fine.
I'm sure that I have more wrong answers. I put my books away so I wouldn't look up any more questions and freak out over them. Hopefully it works out for all of us though.

I took the exam on June 5th, do you think I'll be finding out my score this Wednesday? That will be 4 Wednesday's.

I took the exam on June 5th, do you think I'll be finding out my score this Wednesday? That will be 4 Wednesday's.

Hi campad21 I have the same exact question. I took mine on June 6 and I know that we're not included in the " April 24 to late May" delay period, but does that mean our scores are delayed too? So we won't get them until weeks after? I could not sleep last night because I've been so worried about it. I would be so pissed if we don't get it tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi campad21 I have the same exact question. I took mine on June 6 and I know that we're not included in the " April 24 to late May" delay period, but does that mean our scores are delayed too? So we won't get them until weeks after? I could not sleep last night because I've been so worried about it. I would be so pissed if we don't get it tomorrow.
You'd just wait one extra week instead of four, like some of us.

IMG here, just starting my step 1 prep. I have an option to study at a local library, or in my room at home. Which one of the two do you guys recommend?

IMG here, just starting my step 1 prep. I have an option to study at a local library, or in my room at home. Which one of the two do you guys recommend?
Depends on how diligently you can study at home. For some people, including myself, there's just too much distractions in my room.

SDN and NBME site this time tomorrow:

Operation_Upshot-Knothole_-_Badger_001.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
hey docs.... Need a bit of advice please!!! I am 15 days out with NBME scores b/w 230-250.... Ive got NBME 18 and UWSA 2 left.... Apart from giving those exams what else should I focus on? Goal is 240+.... I just dont wanna do anything else I'm feeling fatigued as F.. Waiting on your responses! THANK YOU ALL !! GOOD LUCK FOR TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
This is wrong. Some of the questions show up on the real deal.
People say theyve gotten identical questions. I thought I got one (although it was the easiest Q ever). Its possible theyre not exactly the same but just very similar.

They are retired questions. Also the scores correlate so I am inclined to say they are very similar.

Question style is similar for MOST questions but that doesnt mean the content is similar. And scores correlating doesnt mean the raw scores are close. A 98% on an nbme gets you a 270 barely. Id venture to say on the real exam a 98% would be more than a 270.

Reactions: 1 users
People say theyve gotten identical questions. I thought I got one (although it was the easiest Q ever). Its possible theyre not exactly the same but just very similar.

Question style is similar for MOST questions but that doesnt mean the content is similar. And scores correlating doesnt mean the raw scores are close. A 98% on an nbme gets you a 270 barely. Id venture to say on the real exam a 98% would be more than a 270.

I am glad that you used a percentage that we can all relate to. haha jk

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
is the best way to spend the last 2 months before the exam to spend on uworld incorrect and weakness'? and review them in UFAP and boards and beyond? is there a better way?

like atleast 2 blocks per day and just improve on what you get wrong? any pointers?

is the best way to spend the last 2 months before the exam to spend on uworld incorrect and weakness'? and review them in UFAP and boards and beyond? is there a better way?

like atleast 2 blocks per day and just improve on what you get wrong? any pointers?
Use your NBME's and UWSA's to help guide your studies as well. After each test I would review all of the questions (for UWorld) and the incorrects (for NBME's) and then work on improving the borderline areas. I've always performed poorly in female reproductive and now I barely miss any of those questions. Good luck!

Hi guys! I just took NBME and only managed to score a 200-210 with 80% correct- 41 wrong. How accurate is this of what my real score will be? I have two weeks left so any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi guys! I just took NBME 19 and only managed to score a 205 with 80% correct- 41 wrong. How accurate is this of what my real score will be? I have two weeks left so any advice would be appreciated.
19 tends to undershoot it. You take any other practice exams? What else are you doing?

Hi guys! I just took NBME 19 and only managed to score a 205 with 80% correct- 41 wrong. How accurate is this of what my real score will be? I have two weeks left so any advice would be appreciated.

Underpredicts for most. Have you taken NBME 18 or UWSA2?

I know that NBME 19 underpredicts (from SDN) for lower scores (for example, people who get like 230 on NBME 19 end up getting 245+) but does anyone know if this applies to higher scores as well on 19? I got a 244 on 19 and my goal is 250.

I'd say yes. If you think a 230 is going to get a 245+.. I think a 14 point higher score will surely correlate to 5 points higher on the real thing.

I'd say yes. If you think a 230 is going to get a 245+.. I think a 14 point higher score will surely correlate to 5 points higher on the real thing.

I mean, I don't know for sure that a 230 is gonna get a 245...I am just saying that I have seen people who get 230 on 19 and get 245+.

Dd the Uworld percentiles suddenly change? I dropped lke 10 percentile between when I last checked the bank a few fays ago

Dd the Uworld percentiles suddenly change? I dropped lke 10 percentile between when I last checked the bank a few fays ago

My percentile didnt change, but it's now showing the 67% tile at like 63% or something now...I don't really understand

My percentile didnt change, but it's now showing the 67% tile at like 63% or something now...I don't really understand

Strange. My 75% cumulative was at like 88 percentile before, dropped to 79...not the best for your ego a few days out from the test :(

And the Median score says it's at the 48% rank.

Oh Well