USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IMG here, ECFMG sent email to me at 9:06AM eastern time telling me it was available. Woke up from sleep and thought I was dreaming when I looked at my phone bc I wasn't expecting until like 12pm...

Practice scores listed in order taken:

NBME 17 (taken as part of school administered NBME): 240
NBME 16 (taken as part of school administered NBME): 238
NBME 13 (about 2 months out): 248
NBME 19 (about 1 month out): 242
NBME 15 (3 weeks out): 255
NBME 18 ( ~1 week before): 248
UWSA2 (several days before): 253

Real Deal taken on May 31st: 251 !!

As many have said before it felt like mix of Uworld and NBME and felt like I got maybe between 85% correct right on the real thing . In NBME's and school tests I was usually very good at predicting how many I got wrong. That being said the curve HAS to be more generous than some of the NBME's, like 17 and 19 where it took 90% correct to crack 240.

Happy to answer any questions!

Reactions: 9 users
ECFMG released scores like an hour ago.
Not happy with how I did, I was expecting above a 230 at the very least (as in worst case scenario). My practice scores were pointing towards mid-high 230s. Ended up with a 220. I was looking at fairly less competitive residencies anyways, but being an IMG it's gonna be tough. Honestly contemplating if I should just give up.

It was hard posting this as clearly the others who have gotten scores have had a better experience than me. Good luck to all those who will be getting their score soon.

Reactions: 4 users
IMG here, ECFMG sent email to me at 9:06AM eastern time telling me it was available. Woke up from sleep and thought I was dreaming when I looked at my phone bc I wasn't expecting until like 12pm...

Practice scores listed in order taken:

NBME 17 (taken as part of school administered NBME): 240
NBME 16 (taken as part of school administered NBME): 238
NBME 13 (about 2 months out): 248
NBME 19 (about 1 month out): 242
NBME 15 (3 weeks out): 255
NBME 18 ( ~1 week before): 248
UWSA2 (several days before): 253

Real Deal taken on May 31st: 251 !!

As many have said before it felt like mix of Uworld and NBME and felt like I got maybe between 85% correct right on the real thing . In NBME's and school tests I was usually very good at predicting how many I got wrong. That being said the curve HAS to be more generous than some of the NBME's, like 17 and 19 where it took 90% correct to crack 240.

Happy to answer any questions!

Quick question, what was your Uworld First pass percentage?

For friends who took/got their score before this delay period, everyone got a notification email around 8am and their score report around 11/12. Have people who've gotten score gotten both of those or just one? I took it on 5/24 and nothing yet. Seems to be rolling out in kind of a random fashion.

Reactions: 1 user
I am an IMG
Got my score today
Bumped
Whether I have any chance for IM or paediatric residency?
Need your advice ty

Reactions: 2 users
ECFMG released scores like an hour ago.
Not happy with how I did, I was expecting above a 230 at the very least (as in worst case scenario). My practice scores were pointing towards mid-high 230s. Ended up with a 220. I was looking at fairly less competitive residencies anyways, but being an IMG it's gonna be tough. Honestly contemplating if I should just give up.

It was hard posting this as clearly the others who have gotten scores have had a better experience than me. Good luck to all those who will be getting their score soon.

Thank you for posting this! From Student Doc and other websites it seems like "everyone" gets a 250+ but in reality, they just make up a fraction of the total test takers but 90% of the people who are Type A enough to post on here. The average is 230 meaning some people get below and some above; I just read on the USMLE stats that 20% of IMG's don't pass the Step the first time. So it's AMAZING that you passed with such a good margin +30 points! Be proud of yourself and confident in your abilities! You will match! Don't give up!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dd the Uworld percentiles suddenly change? I dropped lke 10 percentile between when I last checked the bank a few fays ago
My percentile dropped too, don't know what happened, I just finished my first Uworld round yesterday and today I saw the change on the report percentile rank.

SDN and NBME site this time tomorrow:

Operation_Upshot-Knothole_-_Badger_001.jpg
Yup

Boom happened

scored 240 and only took NBME 19 which I score 221
I took it after my 3 rd year rotations! studied 13 days with only Uworld, FA and sketchyyyyyyyyy micro and pharm

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! How long between the time you took UWSA2 and USMLE?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

it say about 2-3 weeks? but at that point i already plateaued. I felt like the last 2 weeks or so of studying didn't help me much. Let me know if you guys have any questions. I literally was beating myself up for 2 months thinking I scored well below my NBMEs... I just kept recalling stuff I got wrong. I counted 20+ I got wrong. Maybe a lot of them were experimental?

it say about 2-3 weeks? but at that point i already plateaued. I felt like the last 2 weeks or so of studying didn't help me much. Let me know if you guys have any questions. I literally was beating myself up for 2 months thinking I scored well below my NBMEs... I just kept recalling stuff I got wrong. I counted 20+ I got wrong. Maybe a lot of them were experimental?

What were your other NBME scores?

Step 1: 255

Nbme 13: 244
Uwsa 1: 271
Nbme 15: 244
Nbme 16: 250
Uwsa 2: 247
Nbme 17 : 240
Nbme 18: 248
Nbme 19: 246
Uworld %: 82%

Didn't start uworld until 5 weeks of dedicated. I used Kaplan, FC and some RX. DM if you want to ask any q

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 5 users
In order done.

NBME 15 211
NBME 16 223
NBME 17 228
Uworld 1 : 241
NBME 19: 240 (2 weeks out)
NBME 18: 225 (1 week out)
Uworld 2: 252 (1 week out)

Real thing: 241. Super happy. (June 5th):soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
CBSE (4 weeks out): 263
NBME 19 (3 weeks out): 257
NBME 18 (2 weeks out): 242
NBME 17 (1 week out): 248

Step 1: 260

Unbelievably happy right now. Couldn't believe the score report when I opened it. I used the usual UFAP + Goljan audiofiles + Sketchy (only half). My biggest advice to get a high score is to take MS1 and MS2 courses seriously. You don't need to study over the summer after MS1 (I would strongly advise against it) and you don't need to forget about MS2 courses to solely study standardized resources. I think I read pathoma and first aid with our organ systems in MS1/2 and used kaplan qbank to study for our NBME final exams at the end of each organ system. I ended up using USMLERx as well to get in additional questions and to really learn first aid cold.

Feel free to ask any questions. Good luck to everybody taking it and receiving scores today.

Also the average for the exam was 228, so don't take all of the SDN scores as the average.

What were your other NBME scores?

NBME 15 (baseline) - 236 (end of school year, start of dedicated. started studying in January, about 75% done with Uworld at this time)

CBSE - 257 (after 1 week of dedicated, finished Uworld)

UWSA1 - 269

UWSA2 - 256

NBME 16 - 244

NBME 17 - 252

NBME 19 - 250

NBME 18 - 252

Actual - 256

Reactions: 5 users
NBME 13: 194 (9 weeks out)
NBME 16: 230 (7 weeks out)
NBME 17: 217 (3 weeks out)
UWSA 1: 245 (2 weeks out)
NBME 19: 219 (2 weeks out)
UWSA 2: 249 (8 days out)
Free 120: 80% (6 days out)
USMLE STEP 1: 239

Thanks for all of the support here, fam. I'm thrilled with my score after how crazy my mind has been going these past several weeks.

Edit: Also, screw NBMEs!

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
NBME 15: 224 (4 weeks before)
NBME 17: 232 (4 weeks before)
NBME 18: 230 (3 weeks before)
UWSS1: 269 (2 weeks before)
UWSS2: 249 (one week out)
NBME 19: 230 (one week out)

Real Deal: 250

Looks like UWSS2 was the best predictor for me! Don't let NBME's get you down! Also I recall atleast 11 questions that I got wrong after I took step and felt really bad after taking the test

Took exam June 8th. Got 246, which is in between NBME and UWSA scores. Gonna think long and hard about which speciality to pursue at this point. Congrats to everyone who got their scores back!

Reactions: 11 users
Congrats to all of you who got their scores today! ya'll give me hopes! I took the exam recently, but I know I've done horribly! Is it safe to say this is a normal feeling? Did Any of you feel m the same, but ended up with score more than expected? I know this has been discussed, but would like to hear it from those of you who received their scores recently. Thanks!

Took Step 1 June 5th. Didn't receive an email, just checked on the NBME site. I'll do a full write-up of my study strategy/thoughts in the coming days.

Kaplan (throughout 2nd year, finished in early January): 64%
USMLE Rx (January and February): 74%
UW 1st pass (started beginning of March, finished end of April): 70%
UW 2nd pass (only about 1000 questions): 84%
NBME 13 (12 weeks out): 221
NBME 15 (7 weeks out): 240
NBME 16 (5 weeks out): 234
NBME 17 (4 weeks out): 240
UWSA 1 (3.5 weeks out): 251
COMSAE D (3.5 weeks out): 659
UWSA 2 (2 weeks out): 247
NBME 18 (5 days out): 257
Step 1: 238
COMLEX: N/A

Call ecfmg if you are an img..! call them straight away if you have some pending verification they will tell you that..
They're in the US -- telling me that they didn't get an email, just refreshed the page. Same thing for me.

Update: 208 on the real thing! Was hoping for at least 210+, but 208 is good enough for what I want to do (family medicine) and honestly I'm just glad I passed after the disaster I had on UWorld sim 2 the week before lol. Hope everybody is happy with their scores :)
Congrats on being done! I'm happy you passed!

Been lurking forever, thought I'd share, especially since my NBMEs ended up under predicting quite a bit. I will say I feel I had an "off day" on 18 and sort of knew my knowledge pool was > 242.

In order taken:

UWSA1 - 239

NBME 13 - 211 (don't let first score freak you out, I think there's some truth to "getting used to" USMLE style)

NBME 15 - 234

NBME 16 - 244

NBME 17 - 242

NBME 19 - 246

UWSA2 - 251

NBME 18 - 242

UWorld first pass about 74%, did my missed questions/marked after and was probably hitting about 85% average.

Real deal - 257!

To those who received your scores, I hope you've achieved your goals. Everyone else keep working hard!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
NBME 13: 194 (9 weeks out)
NBME 16: 230 (7 weeks out)
NBME 17: 217 (3 weeks out)
UWSA 1: 245 (2 weeks out)
NBME 19: 219 (2 weeks out)
UWSA 2: 249 (8 days out)
Free 120: 80% (6 days out)
USMLE STEP 1: 239

Thanks for all of the support here, fam. I'm thrilled with my score after how crazy my mind has been going these past several weeks.

Edit: Also, screw NBMEs!
Congrats!!! Esp with a practice test scores ike that, that's awesome step score!!
How was your test experience when you took it? Did you expect anything near that score?

Quick question, what was your Uworld First pass percentage?

I did Uworld very different than most people, so it was not a "pure" first pass. I started about 7 months before I actually took step 1, and many of the questions I did in a small group setting where we would brainstorm and learn from each other and discuss each answer choice before picking an answer. That said, I did the last 10 blocks of questions solo and was scoring between 75-80 percent on them. So if you finish bank in high 70s you are in an excellent place.

Hey Fellas, just grateful to be posting here and offering help/guidance to those who are seeking it. Thankful and in shock rn.

Step 1 Score: 260
NBME average: 253ish (Ranged from 240-257)
UW first pass %: 81

-I KNEW i made 15-20 errors right off the bat. BOTTOM LINE: TRUST in your PREP, Averages, and be CONFIDENT. DId UW, Kaplan, and Rx and as many NBMEs as I could get my hands on. God Bless.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm posting this for the test takers who passed or will pass with a 228 or below and are perfectly fine with it! :D

CBSA in late March: equivalent of 187-188
UWSA 1 after a week of studying: 160 -- and super depressed afterwards!
NBME 13: 184
NBME 17: 200
NBME 16: 190
NBME 18 a month before: 200
UWSA 2: 228 2-3 weeks before
NBME 15 less than 2 weeks before: 205
June 6 Test Date: 210 and darn proud of it! I started studying on March 26 and was supposed to take it on May 1, flash-forward $160 spent changing my test date 2x and countless hours spent worrying about not passing and I finally took it 3 weeks ago and passed! My prayers have been answered!

Reactions: 14 users
Long time lurker on this thread, but thought I'd join the crowd since I had a panicked Step studying period and ended up having to take 2 extra weeks. And those extra weeks really saved my ass. So never feel bad about taking more time if you feel like you need to!!!

NBME 13 (9 weeks out): 182
NBME 15 (6 weeks out): 230
NBME 16 (5 weeks out): 219
NBME 17 (4 weeks out): 232
NBME 18 (3 weeks out): 219 - started panicking around here
NBME 19 (2 weeks out): 203 - I was 4 days out from my original test date and called it quits at this point and extended my test date
UWSA 1 (1 week out): 269
UWSA 2 (3 days out): 247

Actual test day (5/24): 249!!!

I was honestly expecting to get around 220s or at best 230s, so this was beyond expected!!

Reactions: 12 users
Long time lurker on this thread, but thought I'd join the crowd since I had a panicked Step studying period and ended up having to take 2 extra weeks. And those extra weeks really saved my ass. So never feel bad about taking more time if you feel like you need to!!!

NBME 13 (9 weeks out): 182
NBME 15 (6 weeks out): 230
NBME 16 (5 weeks out): 219
NBME 17 (4 weeks out): 232
NBME 18 (3 weeks out): 219 - started panicking around here
NBME 19 (2 weeks out): 203 - I was 4 days out from my original test date and called it quits at this point and extended my test date
UWSA 1 (1 week out): 269
UWSA 2 (3 days out): 247

Actual test day (5/24): 249!!!

I was honestly expecting to get around 220s or at best 230s, so this was beyond expected!!

What did you do in those two weeks to raise your score....uh....40 points lol