Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed at Oklahoma last week and don't understand why this program doesn't get that much love? can't find any positive opinions on it on the inter web during my search over the past week. Seems like solid clinical training and extremely happy residents. I think the entire program and their family was at the interview dinner.

also, Indiana just sent out a 100 interview invite bomb via email through early December
100 interview? Did they say thats how many? lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For everyone worrying about not getting a "wave"...if you get an offer every 4 days from sumbmission through end of october that is 11 interviews. Offers extend into November. Slow and steady wins the race. We will all be fine

Reactions: 1 user
Big day for California invites, I got nothing so back to my depression

Is it really that time? Some guy went on a rant about how if you’re sub-5 IVs in gas then you need to send out LOIs... he’s at 30+

Is it really that time? Some guy went on a rant about how if you’re sub-5 IVs in gas then you need to send out LOIs... he’s at 30+

im on the same boat as you, but i think its too premature, i would wait until the beginning of November, most people have been saying mid-to-late october is when the "wave" should hit

im on the same boat as you, but i think its too premature, i would wait until the beginning of November, most people have been saying mid-to-late october is when the "wave" should hit
Northwestern sent out another waves this morning. Applicants will start canceling when their schedules get too full as the higher tiered programs send out their next wave of invites.

Last edited:
Kinda what I was thinking

Members don't see this ad :)

I feel like this is a troll comment. Nobody in their right mind is that neurotic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am not fully clear about the context of the below 5 interviews, but based on the NRMP study, if you are below 8 interviews total you tend to fall out of the "golden area" of likelihood of matching.

has anyone gotten interviews in the DC, MD area? i feel like the only people who've gotten interviews so far from George Washington or Georgetown have been away rotaters

has anyone gotten interviews in the DC, MD area? i feel like the only people who've gotten interviews so far from George Washington or Georgetown have been away rotaters

I got Georgetown last week, no affiliation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good programs. Got an interview at UIC as well. Not rush though. The two programs are right next to each other. Not sure how they rotate if at all at the same hospitals
Any thoughts on these programs plus the other 2 in Chicago, UChicago and Northwestern?

Any thoughts on these programs plus the other 2 in Chicago, UChicago and Northwestern?
From what I understand:
NW>UChi >Rush >UIC > Loyola
Specifics of the programs I don't know.. Sorry

Does anyone know what hotel is free at Cleveland clinic Florida? Not interviewing until January so haven’t received any further info yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One program just extended me an interview which I'm grateful for, but there's only a total of about 4 spots left between all dates and the earliest is in January. Ideally I would've been able to attend in November when I have all my other interviews in that region.

I waitlisted the November date, but do applicants usually explain this situation to the coordinator, or would it look bad?

My gosh programs just show me if you love me or not. I can take the rejection...

One program just extended me an interview which I'm grateful for, but there's only a total of about 4 spots left between all dates and the earliest is in January. Ideally I would've been able to attend in November when I have all my other interviews in that region.

I waitlisted the November date, but do applicants usually explain this situation to the coordinator, or would it look bad?
We all have the same problem so I would say you will need to suck it up, spend the time and money...

We all have the same problem so I would say you will need to suck it up, spend the time and money...
I feel bad about wasteful in general. Another program also waitlisted me today, they filled up very early this year.
Are other programs full/almost out of spots this early too?

I feel bad about wasteful in general. Another program also waitlisted me today, they filled up very early this year.
Are other programs full/almost out of spots this early too?
In the same boat. I'll have to go into 1 city 3 times in the next 3 months because of my scheduling conflict and their dates availability. From what I can see on the scheduling sites for the programs I was invited to interview (ERAS, Thalamus), most only have waitlist dates available.

In the same boat. I'll have to go into 1 city 3 times in the next 3 months because of my scheduling conflict and their dates availability. From what I can see on the scheduling sites for the programs I was invited to interview (ERAS, Thalamus), most only have waitlist dates available.
Keep in mind that places like Indiana at one time only had two dates available and just offered 5 more dates to fit 100 people...

Anyone know which hotel Northwestern gets discounted rates to? Just checked for my interview date and saw nothing around that part of town that's under $200!

Anyone know which hotel Northwestern gets discounted rates to? Just checked for my interview date and saw nothing around that part of town that's under $200!
Chicago has a pretty good transit system. I’d check into that..

II from Riverside
Rejection for UC Davis

California Giveth, California Taketh Away

Reactions: 4 users
Debating whether I should prepay for all my hotels and car rentals to save some $ since it looks like the invites are almost all out.... Any negative experiences with airbnb out there?

Debating whether I should prepay for all my hotels and car rentals to save some $ since it looks like the invites are almost all out.... Any negative experiences with airbnb out there?
maybe to the places youd actually go to. but i dont think you should do it if its a program you are not too excited about but are lacking IVs so you are waiting on it. I dont think all invites have gone out .

If you could stop posting about how almost all interviews are out, when in fact that’s far from the truth as interviews continue to go out for the rest of October, November, December, and even January, that would be great.

Reactions: 3 users
If you could stop posting about how almost all interviews are out, when in fact that’s far from the truth as interviews continue to go out for the rest of October, November, December, and even January, that would be great.
Just looking at last year's spreadsheet for my programs... BTW, The response rate of PD surveyed is about 1/4. For ME, my interview time slot ends in Dec because of rotations that I cannot miss so my interview season ends there!

Last edited:
Just looking at last year's spreadsheet for my programs...

I dunno, maybe use the published 2018 NRMP PD survey on how many total interviews were sent out each month, rather than a google doc that could be completely inaccurate. Is it a realistic possibility that people got interviews at your programs in late October and onward and didn’t post it in the google doc? Yeah, I’d say so.

Reactions: 3 users