Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I dunno, maybe use the published 2018 NRMP PD survey on how many total interviews were sent out each month, rather than a google doc that could be completely inaccurate. Is it a realistic possibility that people got interviews at your programs in late October and onward and didn’t post it in the google doc? Yeah, I’d say so.
Yep, a lot of my friends haven’t recorded anything in any google doc. Interview invites continue to come out.

I think it partially stems from some rejection letters saying “we had a lot of strong applicants this year” which makes some people think: “wow this year is so much more competitive!!! Panic!!!”

But think about it, no program is going to say:

“We had a modest decline in applications this year and didn’t get many good people applying.” In a rejection letter.

They’re just being polite. It’s really going to be okay.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, for Duke, do we book the hotel room or does the program book it for us at the discounted rate? Thanks so much for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just looking at last year's spreadsheet for my programs... BTW, The response rate of PD surveyed is about 1/4. For ME, my interview time slot ends in Dec because of rotations that I cannot miss so my interview season ends there!

Why did you schedule rotations during interview season?

If you could stop posting about how almost all interviews are out, when in fact that’s far from the truth as interviews continue to go out for the rest of October, November, December, and even January, that would be great.

Just wanted to add, I received an invite recently and there's still open dates. We'll be good friends.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to put my experience/thoughts out there since this is my second time going through the match....

- This is still early. Dont panic until it hits november.
- Programs are still sending out IVs.
- If you really are that worried (ie you have a reg flag), then draft up some emails explaining why program _____ interests you. I've gotten last minute IVs this way last year. And if you are really interested (like this is your top choice or you need to stay in the area), CALL them. Don't email.

- Remember that everything is rolling basis. Highest scores, best letters, AOA status, regional bias will always get priority and the IVs trickle down. IDK who the hell perpetuated this "wave" of interviews, but there is no such thing. Maybe after the big conference there might be a flux, but unless the programs collectively got together and announced a set date, this isnt going to happen.

- Also, if you do have 15+ IVs.... Don't cancel last minute....... (you'd think this was common sense lol).

Reactions: 4 users
Hi,

I have been reading all the posts in the thread - I agree it's probably too early for all the invites but as someone who has applied to all programs and had only rejections (5 up till now), I also understand why some of us are getting nervous breakdowns! I don't have a strong application - low scores (219 and 234) and IMG, but I'm hoping some other factors like having done an anesthesia residency in home country, working for a humanitarian organization, MPH & research from top univ in US and a poster at ASA get me some interview invites. That's if I don't screw up my poster in anxiety lol!! What I do know with certainty is that it'll be a difficult 4 months but this too shall pass. Hang on tight friends!

Just wanted to put my experience/thoughts out there since this is my second time going through the match....

- This is still early. Dont panic until it hits november.
- Programs are still sending out IVs.
- If you really are that worried (ie you have a reg flag), then draft up some emails explaining why program _____ interests you. I've gotten last minute IVs this way last year. And if you are really interested (like this is your top choice or you need to stay in the area), CALL them. Don't email.

- Remember that everything is rolling basis. Highest scores, best letters, AOA status, regional bias will always get priority and the IVs trickle down. IDK who the hell perpetuated this "wave" of interviews, but there is no such thing. Maybe after the big conference there might be a flux, but unless the programs collectively got together and announced a set date, this isnt going to happen.

- Also, if you do have 15+ IVs.... Don't cancel last minute....... (you'd think this was common sense lol).
Thank you for the words of wisdom and encouragement! If you don't mind me asking,
(1)What do you think went wrong your first time around, and
(2)What have you ended up doing in between the conclusion of your first match, and now during your second match?

(I fear I might just end up in a similar fate...)

Thank you for the words of wisdom and encouragement! If you don't mind me asking,
(1)What do you think went wrong your first time around, and
(2)What have you ended up doing in between the conclusion of your first match, and now during your second match?

(I fear I might just end up in a similar fate...)

Numerous reasons- Poor application preparation (content, letters, etc) is the gist of it.
I'm doing an internship year right now. Brand new letters, details in app I never mentioned, and I'm overall wiser about how to approach my target programs.

So if you look at Charting the Outcomes, out of all the specialties, anesthesiology has the third-highest number of mean continuous ranks of matched applicants at 15. This has always seemed absurd to me given that anesthesiology is not an overly-competitive field. With the said, hitting 15 has always been my goal number. I just realized though, this number MUST include all these programs that are mixed advanced and categorical that people end up ranking twice in their rank list. Right?

I have been very fortunate to have gotten 19 gas interviews at this point, and I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to drop any or not. My rationale has been that if 15 is just the average, then there's a ton of people who go on ~20 interviews. But if this 15 continuous ranks stat includes both the categorical and advanced ranks, then I should be good cancelling 8 or so, right?

So if you look at Charting the Outcomes, out of all the specialties, anesthesiology has the third-highest number of mean continuous ranks of matched applicants at 15. This has always seemed absurd to me given that anesthesiology is not an overly-competitive field. With the said, hitting 15 has always been my goal number. I just realized though, this number MUST include all these programs that are mixed advanced and categorical that people end up ranking twice in their rank list. Right?

I have been very fortunate to have gotten 19 gas interviews at this point, and I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to drop any or not. My rationale has been that if 15 is just the average, then there's a ton of people who go on ~20 interviews. But if this 15 continuous ranks stat includes both the categorical and advanced ranks, then I should be good cancelling 8 or so, right?

19 interviews is an insane amount. Unless you really consider going to all 19 places I would def drop down to 12 but yolo

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It includes both categorical and advanced since these are separate spots. And yeah that puzzled me as well when I saw 15, but it makes perfect sense since it counts both categorical and advanced. I don't exactly see the point of going on more than 12-15 interviews given that you will most likely match at a program you ranked within your top three. My goal is 10-12 interviews with 1-2 of those interviews being at "safety" programs.

It includes both categorical and advanced since these are separate spots. And yeah that puzzled me as well when I saw 15, but it makes perfect sense since it counts both categorical and advanced. I don't exactly see the point of going on more than 12-15 interviews given that you will most likely match at a program you ranked within your top three. My goal is 10-12 interviews with 1-2 of those interviews being at "safety" programs.

Do you have the exact numbers for this? I know, in general, people match at one of their top 3 70% of the time, but do the exact numbers exist specifically for anesthesia? I've looked everywhere for it, but i can't find them.

Do you have the exact numbers for this? I know, in general, people match at one of their top 3 70% of the time, but do the exact numbers exist specifically for anesthesia? I've looked everywhere for it, but i can't find them.

I don't, or at least I cannot find them in the NRMP match data.

Just cancelled Stanford and Virginia Mason. I hope it frees up some spots for someone looking to end up out west.

Reactions: 1 users
For those of us without 20 trillion II I went to the asa meet and greet and many programs said they hadn’t gone through all the applicants. Some also said they separated applicants into groups and had not gotten to all or most of the img pile yet.

Reactions: 2 users
For those of us without 20 trillion II I went to the asa meet and greet and many programs said they hadn’t gone through all the applicants. Some also said they separated applicants into groups and had not gotten to all or most of the img pile yet.

Ha so md do img piles all sorted by step 1 scores

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Man.. people cancelling Stanford and I’m over here like why can’t I get any more than 3 invites...

Hopefully they also haven’t looked at all the non-regional too

Yes. Advanced and categorical count as separate ranks because they're separate on your rank list. I am sure that some people go on 20 interviews. I am also sure that they're wasting their time/money unless they have very unusual circumstances. Just with 5 ranks you have a 90% chance of matching. Chart says it all honestly. By the way, for US seniors overall 53% match to their first rank, 79% match to top 3 ranks per 2016 NRMP data so it's even better than you thought.

Edit: chart is from 2018 NRMP
odOycNN.png

Last edited:
Yes. Advanced and categorical count as separate ranks because they're separate on your rank list. I am sure that some people go on 20 interviews. I am also sure that they're wasting their time/money unless they have very unusual circumstances. Just with 5 ranks you have a 90% chance of matching. Chart says it all honestly. By the way, for US seniors overall 53% match to their first rank, 78% match to top 3 ranks per 2016 NRMP data so it's even better than you thought.
odOycNN.png

There is 2018 NRMP data

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-Seniors.pdf

And for all my fellow Osteopaths out there
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-Osteo.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, to clarify the chart I linked is from 2018, but the % matched to top 3 etc. was from 2016 since that's just in their press release: Press Release: Results of 2016 NRMP Main Residency Match Largest on Record as Match Continues to Grow - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

"Of the U.S. seniors who matched, 53 percent obtained their first choice for training and 79.2 percent obtained one of their top three choices."​

Going to stay Midwest for family. Really just wanted to see if I'd get the invite tbh

And......................this is why interviews are trickling down slowly, just be patient everyone, more shall come. :xf:

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! I'm also at ASA and I met with a 23 PDs, some from programs I didn't even apply to, because why not! And yes, the majority of them said not to worry, they haven't gone through most of the applications. They make offers well into December and interview till the end of January. I don't know if they were selling optimism but they seemed very honest and spoke pretty candidly about the process. They did mention that their offices had been very busy getting ready for the conference so last week may have been slow. They also enjoy hearing from people that are truly interested, but not too early, so I would get those emails ready to send by the end of the month if you haven't heard from places you want. There will be tons of movement and lots of dates start opening up in December and January so everyone hang in there!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone! I'm also at ASA and I met with a 23 PDs, some from programs I didn't even apply to, because why not! And yes, the majority of them said not to worry, they haven't gone through most of the applications. They make offers well into December and interview till the end of January. I don't know if they were selling optimism but they seemed very honest and spoke pretty candidly about the process. They did mention that their offices had been very busy getting ready for the conference so last week may have been slow. They also enjoy hearing from people that are truly interested, but not too early, so I would get those emails ready to send by the end of the month if you haven't heard from places you want. There will be tons of movement and lots of dates start opening up in December and January so everyone hang in there!
Did they recommend a timeframe to send these emails?

Did they recommend a timeframe to send these emails?
They didn't but I did have a couple of west coast PDs say they'll be giving the remainder of their interviews in the next 2 weeks, and then they'll be sending invites as people cancel. I also visited with east coast and southern schools and all the PDs were super nice and encouraging about waiting out the process. I personally know some people who have already sent out emails but they haven't gotten responses yet. I think if you want to start sending them now that's totally fine. They genuinely didn't seem bothered by interest emails, they have a designated admin person who goes through all of those emails and they actually seem to take them seriously and will give your application a second look. Won't guarantee an interview but will at least put you on their radar. It can't hurt your chances, just like going to the conference, it's just another way to put yourself out there.

They didn't but I did have a couple of west coast PDs say they'll be giving the remainder of their interviews in the next 2 weeks, and then they'll be sending invites as people cancel. I also visited with east coast and southern schools and all the PDs were super nice and encouraging about waiting out the process. I personally know some people who have already sent out emails but they haven't gotten responses yet. I think if you want to start sending them now that's totally fine. They genuinely didn't seem bothered by interest emails, they have a designated admin person who goes through all of those emails and they actually seem to take them seriously and will give your application a second look. Won't guarantee an interview but will at least put you on their radar. It can't hurt your chances, just like going to the conference, it's just another way to put yourself out there.

Great info. Hopefully, this will give some piece of mind to those feeling anxious about the application process.

Last week I had....

- one program rescind an interview because it was mistakenly sent out (awful start to a day lol)
- one program gave me an interview after a previous rejection. Apparently they had a bunch of cancellations.

Anything can happen! It’s just the torture of waiting around.

Last week I had....

- one program rescind an interview because it was mistakenly sent out (awful start to a day lol)
- one program gave me an interview after a previous rejection. Apparently they had a bunch of cancellations.

Wow that's mean. It's like when a girl tells you she wants to have a break then the next day she wants to get back together. Like nah Sally Stanford over there looking fine though

Last week I had....

Wtf kind of program rescinds an interview? That’s messed up

since the conference runs until the 17th, will we not start to hear back until then, or can we expect something starting today?

Wow that's mean. It's like when a girl tells you she wants to have a break then the next day she wants to get back together. Like nah Sally Stanford over there looking fine though
Apparently Sally Stanford doesn’t look fine from afar (Midwest)...

i wasn't able to go to ASA and i was super bummed, because i heard it was useful in that people got 4-6 interviews after it, people who went, did the PDs take down your name?

since the conference runs until the 17th, will we not start to hear back until then, or can we expect something starting today?

Just got a rejection from Icahn, so I guess we could assume II’s could go out as well, hahaha

Reactions: 3 users