Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder if they automatically just start rejecting people who start sending out LOIs. There like this person really wants to go here but I don’t like them. I’m going to spare them the agony and let them know right now
Edit: Case Western / Metro Coming in hot with those rejections, the first victim right here

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just received back to back rejections 10 minutes apart.

XI2ZXjh

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
“Regret”

Attachments

• AB408151-11D8-46DA-A9EA-C4CD17AB52E3.jpeg
    AB408151-11D8-46DA-A9EA-C4CD17AB52E3.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 48
image.jpg

How i'm taking the Case Western (metrohealth) rejection. Cleveland sucks

Reactions: 6 users
upload_2018-10-15_13-59-20.png
Me waiting for this huge "wave" of invites that is coming after ASA

Reactions: 1 users
On the ERAS scheduler, when a program date is “no longer available”, is that date full or is the program no longer doing any interviews on that date? I’m curious if any of the “no longer available” dates are gone for good or if they sometimes open back up

On the ERAS scheduler, when a program date is “no longer available”, is that date full or is the program no longer doing any interviews on that date? I’m curious if any of the “no longer available” dates are gone for good or if they sometimes open back up

From ERAS:

Status – provides the status of the availability of openings for an interview date. Interview date statuses are as follows:
 Available to Schedule – openings are available to schedule for an interview
 Available to Waitlist – there are no more openings to schedule but an applicant may waitlist for an interview
 Expired – no action can be taken because it is past the Freeze Date
 Scheduled – applicant has scheduled to interview
 Waitlisted – applicant has waitlisted to interview
No Longer Available – there are no openings available to schedule or waitlist for an interview

Who does Sinai think they actually are? Sending an email to every single applicant that they received their application, that they'll be starting to look at them Oct 1, then insta-rejecting people in early October. They're barely a top 5 program in their own actual city.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who does Sinai think they actually are? Sending an email to every single applicant that they received their application, that they'll be starting to look at them Oct 1, then insta-rejecting people in early October. They're barely a top 5 program in their own actual city.

y u mad tho

Reactions: 2 users
i wasn't able to go to ASA and i was super bummed, because i heard it was useful in that people got 4-6 interviews after it, people who went, did the PDs take down your name?
Yes, most of the programs had sign in sheets for your info. Some PDs took a pic of your conference badge on their phones. Most said they would be going through a lot of apps after the conference so maybe the wave is coming next week Lol

Yes, most of the programs had sign in sheets for your info. Some PDs took a pic of your conference badge on their phones. Most said they would be going through a lot of apps after the conference so maybe the wave is coming next week Lol

Is there a list of programs that were actually there ?

Is there a list of programs that were actually there ?

If you look on the ASA website, there is a list of all the programs who were there, separated by region. And then there were some late entries that I can't remember, maybe about 8 schools.

lol makes bold statement when mans apparently doesn't know how many programs are in manhattan or that sinai is the most competitive of them

lol makes bold statement when mans apparently doesn't know how many programs are in manhattan or that sinai is the most competitive of them
Cornell, columbia, nyu blow sinai out. Not talking about manhattan, just nyc

Cornell, columbia, nyu blow sinai out. Not talking about manhattan, just nyc

i go to one of the schools you mention (not sinai), and would disagree that many people share your sentiment around here. sinai, especially in recent times has been considered to be the toughest one to crack, but i guess there's always room for subjectivity

i go to one of the schools you mention (not sinai), and would disagree that many people share your sentiment around here. sinai, especially in recent times has been considered to be the toughest one to crack, but i guess there's always room for subjectivity
Cecc110.. how about you have your program send some love to me? I’m feeling kinda desperate now. Love letters.. more like love forum posts..

Anyone with a Georgetown/GW invite, can you see if there are any dates left? Debating on whether to send an email out to them

No ties to DC but considering all of the east coast programs so would have liked at least one of those interviews

Anyone with a Georgetown/GW invite, can you see if there are any dates left? Debating on whether to send an email out to them

No ties to DC but considering all of the east coast programs so would have liked at least one of those interviews

Both do. GTown more so than GW.

Icahn’t believe they wouldn’t even offer me an interview.

:hello:

thanks everyone ill be here all day.

and maybe next year too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Are letters of interest typically sent to the program director, or the program director AND program coordinator? Or is it like a send it to the program director and CC the coordinator sort of thing?

lol...and if no one responds just pick an interview date and show up and invite yourself
At this rate, I’m interviewing at MGH, BWG, Stanford, Sinai, Columbia, Cornell. Just for the fun of it.

Last edited:
Hey guys, anyone with a Drexel invite from last Friday get an email response yet confirming their date?

Anyone know what the status on MGH is (dates available, etc)? Would like to go home...

I have to wonder how many anesthesiologists got stoned in SF this weekend.

First time being in SF this past weekend... place smells like straight bud. Nauseating at times.

Hey guys, anyone with a Drexel invite from last Friday get an email response yet confirming their date?

Nope. I got the invite on October 5th and haven't heard back yet. Sent them another email following up so hopefully something soon?

Rejection from UCSD Internal Medicine... didn't apply for IM, but maybe this means rejection from the medicine prelim??

Nope. I got the invite on October 5th and haven't heard back yet. Sent them another email following up so hopefully something soon?

Thanks! That makes me feel better. I'll let you know if/when I hear back.

Rejection from UCSD Internal Medicine... didn't apply for IM, but maybe this means rejection from the medicine prelim??
That's what it means. So sorry. Prelims positions at popular location are very competitive. If you applied to UCSD categorical anesthesia program, that door is still open...

So just to make myself feel better I looked at the NRMP data again. My thoughts for those of us who don't have a ton if interviews is, programs are all courting the top few hundred applicants (I don't know maybe 200-500 people), but they will soon realize that you can't fill 1800 anesthesiology spots with the same 500 people, so they'll all eventually come to their senses and start inviting us, slightly less impressive but still awesome and amazing applicants. And these super amazing applicants can't possibly go on 30 interviews so they'll cancel half of those and we will all have an abundance of interviews eventually. Maybe this is true, maybe it's the half bottle of wine I just drank, but the data really does make me feel better. Take a look if you need a little reassurance.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-Seniors.pdf

Reactions: 3 users
Thinking about emailing a program to let them know I have family ties in the area. My app currently shows no ties to that area.
If I do this, do you guys think I can just simply say that or if I email do I basically have to write up a whole letter of interest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking about emailing a program to let them know I have family ties in the area. My app currently shows no ties to that area.
If I do this, do you guys think I can just simply say that or if I email do I basically have to write up a whole letter of interest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would send a whole letter of interest, it won't take much time. I think "hey what up I got fam in the area" probably won't go over as well as saying that and adding why you think the program is a great fit for you. Letters of interest should be brief so it's worth it to put in the extra 10 mins of your time. Just sayin...

Should these letters of interest go to the coordinator, PD or both?

I want to show interest and email the right person but also not look like a desperate psycho by doing something abnormal

Should these letters of interest go to the coordinator, PD or both?

I want to show interest and email the right person but also not look like a desperate psycho by doing something abnormal

It will get sent to the people who matter even if you don’t send it to the right person initially.

rejection from stanford
Reject from Stanford. 245 Step 1 and talked to them at ASA. Feelsbadman.

Did you talk to them at the meet and greet too? Maybe they're making decisions on our applications first.

Yup also got a reject from Stanford and I also talked to them at ASA, put my damn name on the list, and emailed the people I met to thank them and express my interest. Clearly didn't help at all, wasn't really expecting to get an invite there but sucks I got cut so quick after I met them.

Reject from Stanford. 245 Step 1 and talked to them at ASA. Feelsbadman.

Did you talk to them at the meet and greet too? Maybe they're making decisions on our applications first.

I bet they went through the applicants that they met and simply decided a yes or no on them. Can’t take it personally though. Did the math lastnight and I’m 50/50 for invites/rejections. Stay positive!