Jayhow92

5+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Didn't match with 250+ step scores (US 4th yr) into anesthesia. Absolutely stunned today. Didn't even think it was a possibility and nobody can give me a good reason for how this happened. Thought my interviews went well, I have research experience, and plenty of volunteer experience. SOAPing on ERAS has been a complete nightmare due to the website crashing.

Sorry for ranting on here. Just extremely frustrated today.

Justice4all

5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Keep your head up. U will do well in soap. Just have some answers for PD when they ask what happen? Hold your composure .Wish you the best . Same scenario with me 5 years ago in a surgical Subspecialty.

Reactions: dchz and nimbus

RedPhys

Moraxella mozzarella
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Trump Tower
Status
Medical Student
Didn't match with 250+ step scores (US 4th yr) into anesthesia. Absolutely stunned today. Didn't even think it was a possibility and nobody can give me a good reason for how this happened. Thought my interviews went well, I have research experience, and plenty of volunteer experience. SOAPing on ERAS has been a complete nightmare due to the website crashing.

Holy crap :-/ Here I am with sub 220s not matching and thinking "Well, this was somewhat expected," but dang :-/

Agreed with the website crashing making this a nightmare. I got my programs in by the first 3pm deadline, but goddamn was it a frustrating endeavor ... and then having my deans say they're seeing that for some places, my photo is uploaded, but not my deans letter, some others the usmle transcript is missing ... just a big mess it seems on multiple fronts (or, rather, the overall ERAS front)

Dec 27, 2018

Jesus christ, how many programs did you rank?
I'm so sorry to hear that, honestly. Did you only rank top tier programs?

Chemstudent

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
May 18, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)

Keep your head up and good luck. You'll def get an offer first round.

Jayhow92

5+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the support guys.

Jesus christ, how many programs did you rank?
I'm so sorry to hear that, honestly. Did you only rank top tier programs?
I had some top tiers, but mostly mid-high tier programs (including my home school). And I had 10 programs ranked. Seriously unlucky stuff.

Chemstudent

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
May 18, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Thanks for the support guys.

I had some top tiers, but mostly mid-high tier programs (including my home school). And I had 10 programs ranked. Seriously unlucky stuff.
That's insane. Are you MD or DO?

Apr 25, 2018
The only soap spots open are new community programs. Do you guys suggest trying for those versus sitting out a year and doing research then reapplying?
Similar situation, US MD as above with step scores that should have made it nearly impossible not to match.

chudat

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2007
Status
good at least that anesthesia is becoming more and more competitive.

also, i would either scramble into another competitive specialty in soap or sit out a year and then reapply.

Reactions: Drangue and leacott

nimbus

10+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2006
Status
Breaking news from today, Rich people paid bribes to get better SAT & ACT scores for their kids, do you guys think happens in our world also? Something like $10,000 to move you up a few spots on the rank order list wouldn't surprise me.

Live updates: College admissions cheating scheme - CNN

Unlikely IMO.

The saddest part of that story is that the parents didn’t have enough faith in their own children. Some of the kids were in on it but others were not. Imagine finding out what your parents did.

MightBeACylon439

2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2014
Far Away
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Oct 14, 2018
Status
Resident [Any Field]

zero0

everything i hug dies
2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2014
Status
Medical Student

Quit posting crap like this you're gonna scare the wee children -_-

anbuitachi

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2008
Utah
Status
Resident [Any Field]
1000% this happens in the medical community.
it happens everywhere in every field, in many countries on the planet, its common knowledge you have to bribe someone to get **** done. in the great country of america, we are as corrupt as other countries, but we try to hide it, so ignorant people think we live in a beautiful honest country, when we dont

Jan 9, 2019
Did anyone NOT get a welcome letter from their match? I still haven’t gotten any communication asides from the NRMP email. Are others in this boat too?

xClashx

5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Did anyone NOT get a welcome letter from their match? I still haven’t gotten any communication asides from the NRMP email. Are others in this boat too?
i got a generic email from PC welcoming/ asking us to look out for further emails. I think people will start getting welcome letters/calls next week. They probably just assumed ppl were out celebrating.

chromuffin

2+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I have also not gotten anything from my program. Hoping they are just letting us enjoy the weekend and contacting us Monday.

studentofsdn

5+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Did an away at my #1, got a letter from them co-signed by the PD, and they're known to take many away rotators with my exact stats (1/2 of each class is away rotators and home students). I didn't match there. But another student from my school matched without doing a rotation lol. I matched my #2 so I shouldn't be disappointed but I feel like I got betrayed so badly and am very very salty. There's truly no loyalty in this process and no guarantees. To future applicants, don't be naive as me.

That being said, I know I'll be a great anesthesiologist anyway. It will just take a few days to get over this.

nimbus

10+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2006
Status
Did an away at my #1, got a letter from them co-signed by the PD, and they're known to take many away rotators with my exact stats (1/2 of each class is away rotators and home students). I didn't match there. But another student from my school matched without doing a rotation lol. I matched my #2 so I shouldn't be disappointed but I feel like I got betrayed so badly and am very very salty. There's truly no loyalty in this process and no guarantees. To future applicants, don't be naive as me.

That being said, I know I'll be a great anesthesiologist anyway. It will just take a few days to get over this.

Not sure why you are salty. Your classmate was ranked higher than you on their rank list but his/her rank has nothing to do with yours. They probably got the same letter.

The reality is that your #1 program LIKED you and would have been happy to have you. They didn’t send you a letter to be malicious or deceptive. But they can’t predict the outcome of the match any more than you can. And you matched at your #2. Congratulations!!

Last edited:
Reactions: studentofsdn

studentofsdn

5+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Not sure why you are salty. Your classmate was ranked higher than you on their rank list but his/her rank has nothing to do with yours. They probably got the same letter.

The reality is that your #1 program LIKED you and would have been happy to have you. They didn’t send you a letter to be malicious or deceptive. But they can’t predict the outcome of the match any more than you can. And you matched at your #2. Congratulations!!
Thank you!
I meant I got a letter of recommendation from the PD during my away. The other student didn't do an away. That's why I'm salty. I guess they were such a rockstar they didn't need the away. But it just hurts when I had residents, alumni, and even other PDs who knew that program telling me I would likely match there. You're right though. I guess I was in a favorable position to match but they were so popular they filled up higher than the spot I was ranked. I just feel stupid as hell for getting my hopes up so high by listening to all those people.

Don't get me wrong though. Im not ungrateful for where I matched. I'm very happy about it.

Last edited:

anbuitachi

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2008
Utah
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thank you!
I meant I got a letter of recommendation from the PD during my away. The other student didn't do an away. That's why I'm salty. I guess they were such a rockstar they didn't need the away. But it just hurts when I had residents, alumni, and even other PDs who knew that program telling me I would likely match there. You're right though. I guess I was in a favorable position to match but they were so popular they filled up higher than the spot I was ranked. I just feel stupid as hell for getting my hopes up so high by listening to all those people.

Don't get me wrong though. Im not ungrateful for where I matched. I'm very happy about it.
dont be salty. the truth is there are only limited # of spots, you dont know how many of those students like you exist. also you dont know other peoples applications. even after interview invite, they look at your entire package and everything has weight. a student that did not do away, but still has stellar recommendations, 260 step1/2s, patents, publications, can take away your spot despite you having done an away there. Away rotation isn't everything

OP
Dr.Jekyll75

Dr.Jekyll75

2+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2014
Murica
Status
Medical Student
dont be salty. the truth is there are only limited # of spots, you dont know how many of those students like you exist. also you dont know other peoples applications. even after interview invite, they look at your entire package and everything has weight. a student that did not do away, but still has stellar recommendations, 260 step1/2s, patents, publications, can take away your spot despite you having done an away there. Away rotation isn't everything
Did an away at my number four was given the wink wink nudge nudge the last week I was there and then on my interview they told me we’d love to see you in July. Guess what, I did not match there and actually fell little bit below them. Aways in theory do help but nothing is guaranteed anymore there’s just too many applicants . I’m also a little salty but happy I matched gas as a Do. Some of my Do classmates matched to great programs. Some to meh programs like me. Surprisingly some thought the had matched gas but actually ended up matching their back up specialties. Some did not match at all with 10 ivs. So be happy dude

Jan 22, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Did an away at my number four was given the wink wink nudge nudge the last week I was there and then on my interview they told me we’d love to see you in July. Guess what, I did not match there and actually fell little bit below them. Aways in theory do help but nothing is guaranteed anymore there’s just too many applicants . I’m also a little salty but happy I matched gas as a Do. Some of my Do classmates matched to great programs. Some to meh programs like me. Surprisingly some thought the had matched gas but actually ended up matching their back up specialties. Some did not match at all with 10 ivs. So be happy dude
Piggybacking off of this, I think we should be humble that we are in the 1% of the 1%. Not everyone gets into medical school, not everyone matches into their desired specialty, not everyone gets their favorite school/location. I picture someone else reading our 'woes' and it being equivalent to being upset with a Porsche when we were within grasp of a Ferarri.

Reactions: APA 32
OP
Dr.Jekyll75

Dr.Jekyll75

2+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2014
Murica
Status
Medical Student
Piggybacking off of this, I think we should be humble that we are in the 1% of the 1%. Not everyone gets into medical school, not everyone matches into their desired specialty, not everyone gets their favorite school/location. I picture someone else reading our 'woes' and it being equivalent to being upset with a Porsche when we were within grasp of a Ferarri.
I feel you. Perception is everything.

Ready_User_1

ASA Member
Mar 31, 2018
Honestly, who cares where you fell on your rank list - you're going to be an Anesthesiologist. Over the next 4 years, get involved and try to make it a residency that you would rank number 1 if you were applying again. Morale and camaraderie does wonders to dynamic team based organizations. Some of the best memories I have are at places that are complete **** holes.

Congrats to everyone matching!

Sep 4, 2017

I feel your saltiness. I did an away at my number 1 and got a letter, and failed to match there. Busted my ass. Many years later I’m happy at the residency I ended up at, probably happier than I would have been at my number 1. It is what you make of it. The saltiness never completely goes away, just use it to make yourself better and more determined.

SpartanGuy

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2012
East Lansing, MI
Status
Medical Student
This is a great reminder to stop the cycle of fake news and misinformation when we are residents and possibly academic attendings involved in the process!

Reactions: JDMcNugent

abolt18

I regret nothing. The end.
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I feel your saltiness. I did an away at my number 1 and got a letter, and failed to match there. Busted my ass. Many years later I’m happy at the residency I ended up at, probably happier than I would have been at my number 1. It is what you make of it. The saltiness never completely goes away, just use it to make yourself better and more determined.
I also did an away at a program that I ended ranking #2. Got a stellar LOR that was referenced in multiple interviews. The best rotation eval I had. Thought it was almost a sure thing. Fell below it on my rank list. I felt a little jaded, but realistically I think my current program was probably a better fit for me.

OP
Dr.Jekyll75

Dr.Jekyll75

2+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2014
Murica
Status
Medical Student
From the sounds of it I’ll likely die of hypernatremia cuz I’m very salt and will continue to stay salty
Real talk happy to match and will work my ass off to get a fellowship and change the culture at my program

Eagles6389

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2014
Status
Medical Student
What criteria do competitive fellowships look at? For residencies, it’s pretty transparent with step 1/2 scores being the most important factor. I wasn’t sure on what is used for fellowships though: is the BASIC exam at the end of CA-1 year a big factor? I recall someone telling me that you don’t have to tell programs your score (or no more than that you passed), but that you can tell them your exact score/percentile if you do really well?

Is program pedigree the biggest factor? Like coming from a well known mid/upper tier academic residency vs newer community program? That and connections?

AdmiralChz

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Status
Attending Physician
What criteria do competitive fellowships look at? For residencies, it’s pretty transparent with step 1/2 scores being the most important factor. I wasn’t sure on what is used for fellowships though: is the BASIC exam at the end of CA-1 year a big factor? I recall someone telling me that you don’t have to tell programs your score (or no more than that you passed), but that you can tell them your exact score/percentile if you do really well?

Is program pedigree the biggest factor? Like coming from a well known mid/upper tier academic residency vs newer community program? That and connections?
You’re on the right track. At our program, we basically looked at it in this order:

1) Program (especially for home students that are really liked)
2) ITE scores
3) LORs/Connections
4) Research

In general, ITE scores are much, much less emphasized than Step 1. Also these fields are very compact with a relatively small number of folks involved in national organizations/research (in cardiac, its the same 30 or so that do the lion’s share of the publishing and sit on SCA boards) - a letter from a big name can and does go a LONG way.

Basic exam has no impact whatsoever, assuming you passed as the scaled score is not released to programs as ITE is.

SF Match also asks for AKT scores, but the number of programs that still take it continue to decrease so we basically threw it out. That being said, it shouldn’t be surprising that high scorers do so throughout their standardized tests

Reactions: Eagles6389

fresnomike

2+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student
You’re on the right track. At our program, we basically looked at it in this order:

1) Program (especially for home students that are really liked)
2) ITE scores
3) LORs/Connections
4) Research

In general, ITE scores are much, much less emphasized than Step 1. Also these fields are very compact with a relatively small number of folks involved in national organizations/research (in cardiac, its the same 30 or so that do the lion’s share of the publishing and sit on SCA boards) - a letter from a big name can and does go a LONG way.

Basic exam has no impact whatsoever, assuming you passed as the scaled score is not released to programs as ITE is.

SF Match also asks for AKT scores, but the number of programs that still take it continue to decrease so we basically threw it out. That being said, it shouldn’t be surprising that high scorers do so throughout their standardized tests
Very interesting, thanks for the info! So would you say STEP 1 & 2 are no longer used for fellowship selection, or just considered less so than the above 4 things you mentioned?

DM27

10+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
You will get a letter for the basic if you’re in the top 10% but I have no idea if anyone submits this.

Gern Blansten

Account on Hold
10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
Northeast
Status
Attending Physician

Reactions: eikenhein