Official 2018-2019 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any thoughts on the Michigan programs including Beaumont and Henry Ford?

Henry ford > Beaumont. I think slightly more academic and doing cutting edge stuff than Beaumont.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,
How would you rank these programs?

UTSW, UT Health Houton, UT San Antonio, Baylor S&W Dallas, UT Methodist, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Rush University

Hey guys.

Any thoughts about Loma Linda university and university of Arkansas. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Aurora is a really hood program. Have heard lots of good things
It seemed to be a very busy program with great volume. Their schedule is a bit different. No cath lab in first year. Fellows said that get good exposure. But not sure if they end up doing a lot of scut work.

Hey Guys,

UTSW, UT Health Houton, UT San Antonio, Baylor S&W Dallas, UT Methodist, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Rush University

UTSW, UAB, stand out in that crowd. Gut feeling is UTH => UTSA = Baylor SW, though truth be told, didn't interview at UTSA or Baylor SW.

Rush is marginally better than Methodist.

Henry ford > Beaumont. I think slightly more academic and doing cutting edge stuff than Beaumont.
Thanks! I agree that Henry Ford seemed great (very structured program, fellows seemed happy and well trained, PD was very involved) Beaumont surprised me - I knew their interventional/structural side was solid but also seemed like imaging is a strength.

How do they compare to chicago programs (rush, loyola, uic) and Indiana?

How would you rank the following?
UAB, Wake Forest, Baylor Houston, Tufts, Indiana, UIC, Loyola, Case Western, UPMC

Hello all! It seems like this thread has been helpful for those in the past, so I was hoping to get some input to help determine my top few spots. I am currently interested in pursuing either interventional or advanced imaging; thinking may be leaning more towards interventional at this point.

Beaumont
University of Kentucky
Medical College of Wisconsin
Indiana University

Would appreciate any thoughts on the order as well as any thoughts about the individual programs. Thank you in advance for your input!

Hello all! It seems like this thread has been helpful for those in the past, so I was hoping to get some input to help determine my top few spots. I am currently interested in pursuing either interventional or advanced imaging; thinking may be leaning more towards interventional at this point.

Beaumont
University of Kentucky
Medical College of Wisconsin
Indiana University

Would appreciate any thoughts on the order as well as any thoughts about the individual programs. Thank you in advance for your input!

Kentucky => Indiana > MCW > Beaumont. MCW just started an interventional program this year.

Hi all. New to this forum. I have to move from the best coast to chicago for my husband's work and I do not have a good sense of how much of a drop-off there is between Northwestern/UChicago and Loyola/Rush/UIC (in that order?). My mentors haven't been that helpful. Can someone from chicago or currently in residency there give me some insight, especially on the latter 3.

I really, really appreciate any and all wisdom.

Hi all. New to this forum. I have to move from the best coast to chicago for my husband's work and I do not have a good sense of how much of a drop-off there is between Northwestern/UChicago and Loyola/Rush/UIC (in that order?). My mentors haven't been that helpful. Can someone from chicago or currently in residency there give me some insight, especially on the latter 3.

Northwestern is in its own league of those 5. University of Chicago tries, but relies too much on its name.

Rush is Northwestern’s biggest competition hospital system wise, standard clinical program. Loyola has everything from intervention, imaging, HF. Probably the most comprehensive and highest volume, for that reason I think the strongest. UIC main hospital is ok (kind of outdated) serves the Chicago Medicaid population. Christ its affiliate is up to an hour away driving during rush hour. Great basic science research if you’re into that

Members don't see this ad :)

Didn't interview at NWern, but did the other three (literally no one I've talked to has said anything good about Rush and their volumes are supposedly less than other programs in the city). UofC and NWern have the biggest names in Chicago especially regarding academics. Loyola is a very clinically heavy program at the expense of academics (it's there if you want it) and very easy to get level 2 in everything by end of fellowship. Didn't get quite that sense from UofC given it's heavy research emphasis although you could do it at the ire of the program. UIC is somewhat in between. Good clinical exposure especially at Advocate Christ (they'll VAD anyone and try to transplant everyone, super sick population and likely the highest volume cardiac center in Chicago). Good research and up and coming chief eho emphasized research on interview day. Also can probably get level 2 in everything (but maybe cutting it close and requires extra rotations at Christ). UIC and Loyola have VAs. NWern shares the VA with UIC. UofC has no VA.

Overall academics >> UofC > UIC > Loyola

Overall clinical training >> Loyola => UofC => UIC. Great training at any of the sites though.

It seemed to be a very busy program with great volume. Their schedule is a bit different. No cath lab in first year. Fellows said that get good exposure. But not sure if they end up doing a lot of scut work.

They still have 8 mandatory cath months. What I want to know is whether the fellows are primary operators?

Independent of the location, what are peoples thoughts on Vanderbilt vs UW? No specific interest within cards yet

Hi guys, need some information about the University of Oklahoma Program.How well does it do in terms of clinical training? The program seemed a bit low volume to me on the interview day.
Also, How do you feel about Ochsner Clinic? I did get a malignant vibe from the program, and their fellows were pretty frank that first year is terrible for them. They did say that their clinical training is very strong, but I'm not sure if their work culture is professional enough.

Hi guys, need some information about the University of Oklahoma Program.How well does it do in terms of clinical training? The program seemed a bit low volume to me on the interview day.
Also, How do you feel about Ochsner Clinic? I did get a malignant vibe from the program, and their fellows were pretty frank that first year is terrible for them. They did say that their clinical training is very strong, but I'm not sure if their work culture is professional enough.
felt the same about Ochsner. they work their first years. there was one person who dropped out of the program in 2-3 years ago. low research focus. high volume.

any thoughts on allegheny general, virginia tech carilion, lehigh valley allentown, christiana care? looking to interventional, relatively high volume programs.

How would you rank the following?
UAB, Wake Forest, Baylor Houston, Tufts, Indiana, UIC, Loyola, Case Western, UPMC

Go with your gut, all those programs are fine and don't stick out one way or another.

Thinking about private practice

1) THI
2) Ohio State
3) UNC
4) The Clinic
5) CWRU
6) Henry Ford
7) Wake
8) Beaumount

Good to go?

Reactions: 1 user
Are there statistics about getting #1, 2,3,4 program on your rank list, like how far do people go down on their list and the chances?

Are there statistics about getting #1, 2,3,4 program on your rank list, like how far do people go down on their list and the chances?

I don’t think there are. I know someone who matched at their number 1, another at her 14 and another that interviewed at 12 still didn’t match.

Also, How do you feel about Ochsner Clinic? I did get a malignant vibe from the program, and their fellows were pretty frank that first year is terrible for them. They did say that their clinical training is very strong, but I'm not sure if their work culture is professional enough.[/QUOTE]

True. Communication style was kind of weird.

Having a bit of trouble folks, calling for some help again for ranking please! Anyone have any insight on these few programs?
Hawaii, Buffalo, Syracuse, Drexel, Christiana, Hofstra/North Shore/LIJ
Please and thank you!

UTSW, UAB, stand out in that crowd. Gut feeling is UTH => UTSA = Baylor SW, though truth be told, didn't interview at UTSA or Baylor SW.

Rush is marginally better than Methodist.

How about this?

1. UTSW
2. UAB
3. UT Methodist
4. Rush University
5. Baylor S&W Dallas
6. UT Health Houton
7. UT San Antonio

Is it wise to keep San Antonio at the bottom?

How would you guys rank these programs:

- Medical College of Georgia
- Lehigh Valley
- University of South Dakota
- UA Phoenix
- Kettering Medical Center

Thanks

What do you guys think about

Univ of Kentucky vs Tufts
Univ of Toledo vs West Virginia Univ
UCSF Fresno vs UC Riverside

Future plan: non-invasive (HF or imaging)
Thanks so much

Thanks so much
Tufts for heart failure.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Any thoughts about Jackson Memorial Hospital/U Miami from people who interviewed there, especially if planning for interventional and staying on academics?

Thanks

Any thoughts about Jackson Memorial Hospital/U Miami from people who interviewed there, especially if planning for interventional and staying on academics?

Thanks
Felt like a busy program with excellent training. Certainly on the other end of the cush spectrum. PD was very nice and seemed to really care about the fellows.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

How about this?

1. UTSW
2. UAB
3. UT Methodist
4. Rush University
5. Baylor S&W Dallas
6. UT Health Houton
7. UT San Antonio

Is it wise to keep San Antonio at the bottom?

I would put UT San Antonio above methodist( if that’s Methodist in houston) and put Rush lower on the list

Thanks so much

WVU is an excellent program if you can tolerate living in Morgantown.

Kentucky => Indiana > MCW > Beaumont. MCW just started an interventional program this year.

Thank you for your reply! I would be curious to get others input on this as well. As from what I can gather, Beaumont would seem to me to be higher on this list given their track record with interventional and what they are currently doing in imaging. Is there something about this program not being a "university" program which make people think of it as "lesser?" Just curious to get thoughts from the outside while going through this process. Thanks for any other input!

Thank you for your reply! I would be curious to get others input on this as well. As from what I can gather, Beaumont would seem to me to be higher on this list given their track record with interventional and what they are currently doing in imaging. Is there something about this program not being a "university" program which make people think of it as "lesser?" Just curious to get thoughts from the outside while going through this process. Thanks for any other input!

No HF program + having a better program in the same city (Henry Ford) makes it less appealing than the others.

Thinking about private practice

1) THI
2) Ohio State
3) UNC
4) The Clinic
5) CWRU
6) Henry Ford
7) Wake
8) Beaumount

Good to go?

Looks good. Had to laugh at your reference to "the clinic", not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious though.

Any thoughts and interview impressions about Lahey?
Thanks a lot

Could use some help ranking these programs

University of Colorado
Ohio State
UPMC
Wash U
Vanderbilt
Michigan

At the moment Vanderbilt is on a very upward trajectory (after all the famous peeps from Boston they acquired)- need to check how supportive they are of fellows.
Wash U and Michigan are very strong too.
Other 3 are strong too.

Hey Guys,

UTSW and UAB stand out. Methodist esp for imaging should be strong too.

Hi! I'd just like to ask if anyone has any positive or negative feedback regarding:
UMKC - St.Luke's Mid America Heart Institute
University of Minnesota

Thanks!

Can you guys help me with this list please? Primary interest is interventional and structural. Location matters too.
Any comment is welcome. Thanks in advance.

UC Davis
Temple
Uni of Kansas
Uni of Kentucky
USF
WVU
Uni of Missouri-Columbia
Creighton
UTMB
SLU
Uni of Louisville
Uni at Buffalo
Baystate
St John, Detroit
SUNY Upstate
ETSU
Cleveland Clinic Florida
Uni of Chicago (NorthShore)
Advocate Illinois Masonic
St Luke's Hospital Bethlehem

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you’re trying to do interventional then UC Davis is a no brainer out of this list.

Reactions: 1 user
Reposting, sorry, looking for a bit of help with ranking:

Buffalo, Syracuse, Hawaii, Drexel, Christiana, Hofstra/North Shore/LIJ, USF

Please and thank you!

Independent of the location, what are peoples thoughts on Vanderbilt vs UW? No specific interest within cards yet

I did not interview at UW but liked Vanderbilt very much. Strong HF and EP, happy fellows, very diverse program. Nashville is not that much cheaper than Seattle to be fair but seems like a cool city.