Official 2018/2019 "Help Me Rank" Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
looking for fellowship in CARDS... how would you rank this list

RUSH
MOUNT SINAI ST LUKE
HOUSTON METHODIST
JACKSON MEMORIAL/UNIV OF MIAMI
JACOBI/AECOM
houston methodist
mount sinai st luke
jackson memorial
rush

thats it

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am IMG who is trying to rank some of the programs on your list too. Want to do Oncology. Anyone knows a thing or two about these programs? Thank you!
1. Jacobi/AECOM
2. Houston Methodist
3. Danbury/Yale
4. Akron/Cleveland Clinic
5. Bassett Medical Center
houston methodist
yale and
baset others main thing is scut work in jacobi , work life balance issue , i found resident more happier on those I mentioned.

I would say Cedar Sinai (if the one in LA)>St Lukes=Beth Israell would be the absolutely the best. Jacobi is malignant but has decent training. Maimonide and NYP queens provides a great life for someone of Chinese/ Korean origin because of its close proximity to Flushing/ Chinatown.

But that's just my two cents.
yes jacobi is malignant , scut work and place is yuuukk. Resident seemed to be so down , i can see in their face .

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Jacobi prefers people from albt einstein for hem/onc fellow so if you dont belong to albt i dont think you going for hem onc.

Nothing in this paragraph makes sense. Jacobi doesn’t have a hem/onc fellowship, montefiore does, and every year 1-3 fellows from Jacobi match monte hem/onc

houston methodist
mount sinai st luke
jackson memorial
rush

thats it

If it’s actually Jackson like the main u of m program then it’s

Umiami
Houston Methodist
Rush
Jacobi=slr
( Jacobi has great match arguably better than slr but slr in more desirable location)

Nothing in this paragraph makes sense. Jacobi doesn’t have a hem/onc fellowship, montefiore does, and every year 1-3 fellows from Jacobi match monte hem/onc
They now have dear from this year but it looks like reserved already for their candidate.

In fact their hemonc program has just been approved this year.

In fact their hemonc program has just been approved this year.

Also @match 2019 fair point but the person was talking about going to Jacobi, so how could going to Jacobi be bad for hem/onc if they now have their own program? Color me confused

Also @match 2019 fair point but the person was talking about going to Jacobi, so how could going to Jacobi be bad for hem/onc if they now have their own program? Color me confused
See their residents , AMG are from Einstein and they are there for fellowship so think about it. I found program more malignant then other descent program , lots of scut work and they have a kind of reservation.

See their residents , AMG are from Einstein and they are there for fellowship so think about it. I found program more malignant then other descent program , lots of scut work and they have a kind of reservation.

Again still confused. You’re saying two different things.

I was at monte from 2013-2017. During that time 1-2 Jacobi residents, most of them IMG/FMGs matched to that programs hem/onc fellowship. If you’re now saying that Jacobi is opening up their own hem/onc program, well how could anyone be in that class yet if it’s not yet listed on ERAS? Please explain better because I remain confused

Again still confused. You’re saying two different things.

I was at monte from 2013-2017. During that time 1-2 Jacobi residents, most of them IMG/FMGs matched to that programs hem/onc fellowship. If you’re now saying that Jacobi is opening up their own hem/onc program, well how could anyone be in that class yet if it’s not yet listed on ERAS? Please explain better because I remain confused
I didn't mention anyone in the class I am trying to say they prefer their own ( the chosen one lol)

Lenox Hill vs Houston Methodist vs MCW vs UF? Which order would you guys rank those?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't mention anyone in the class I am trying to say they prefer their own ( the chosen one lol)

Right but what you’re saying is demonstrably false;

From 2011-2015 monte has taken 1 Jacobi resident a year and every single one was an IMG/FMG. Not one AMG. Looking at Jacobi’s match most from 2014 onward at least 9/10 and probably 10/10 just can’t confirm) that matched to monte were either IMGs or FMGs.

What’s frustrating to me is people might make a decision based on misinformation. Your original post honestly should be deleted.

From 2011-2015 monte has taken 1 Jacobi resident a year and every single one was an IMG/FMG. Not one AMG. Looking at Jacobi’s match most from 2014 onward at least 9/10 and probably 10/10 just can’t confirm) that matched to monte were either IMGs or FMGs.

What’s frustrating to me is people might make a decision based on misinformation. Your original post honestly should be deleted.
You are still confused. I don't want to point or proof anything. Go for Jacobi, they have good fellowship match rate that's it final point .

I am getting what you are saying. I interviewed at Jacobi but something felt a little off by my observation. I do feel the place has better reputation on paper than the actual place. One of seniors wanted to go in cardiology, so he joined the program. He may get into cardiology because he is a hard working guy but he was not satisfied with the amount of scut work, long hours and disconnection between the leadership and residents. So, i am ranking it in the bottom half but that's just me.

You are still confused. I don't want to point or proof anything. Go for Jacobi, they have good fellowship match rate that's it final point .

Please elaborate. I honestly want to know what you meant. Jacobi has a few amgs from AECOM of course. As far as I know from experience and can tell from filling in the holes since I’ve left monte, nearly none of the hem/onc matches are from amg aecom Jacobi residents. I really am trying to understand what you’re saying because maybe I’ve made the mistake

I am getting what you are saying. I interviewed at Jacobi but something felt a little off by my observation. I do feel the place has better reputation on paper than the actual place. One of seniors wanted to go in cardiology, so he joined the program. He may get into cardiology because he is a hard working guy but he was not satisfied with the amount of scut work, long hours and disconnection between the leadership and residents. So, i am ranking it in the bottom half but that's just me.

I’m not some Jacobi spokesperson I just did my IM training at monte and we rotated at Weiler hospital (Einstein campus) with Jacobi residents. So I figured I could inject some facts into the conversation. It is your typical city hospital. Decent amount of scut, but good match list and excellent training. As far as community nyc programs it is on par with slr and only suffers to due to a significantly worse location. It is better than nyp queens, Sinai elmhurst, Methodist, maimo and BI. Lenox Hill also has a significantly better location (with more amgs, American IMGs (Caribbean mostly) and DO’s than Jacobi) but their match list is fairly meh

Please elaborate. I honestly want to know what you meant. Jacobi has a few amgs from AECOM of course. As far as I know from experience and can tell from filling in the holes since I’ve left monte, nearly none of the hem/onc matches are from amg aecom Jacobi residents. I really am trying to understand what you’re saying because maybe I’ve made the mistake
sorry, bro, I don't want to elaborate, just go what your heart says. I don't know what programs you have. I have a descent programs and I choose them above Jacobi that's it.

Last edited:
sorry, bro, I don't want to elaborate, just go what your heart says. I don't know what programs you have. I have a descents programs and I choose them then Jacobi that's it.

Lol are you even reading my posts? I’m a 2nd yr fellow. I’ve said several times I did my IM training at monte

Lol are you even reading my posts? I’m a 2nd yr fellow. I’ve said several times I did my IM training at monte
I did not feel good with all those politics and scut work bro that's it. And as far I observed the programs I could see resident ( PGY 1 esp) and say a lot about the program.

I did not feel good with all those politics and scut work bro that's it. And as far I observed the programs I could see resident ( PGY 1 esp) and say a lot about the program.

That’s a much more fair critique of the program. I only had a problem with the comments that were untrue. They def have some scut and I can’t comment about the politics but do know it’s a very hard working busy training program. That said many of their interested (mostly FMG/IMG) trainees that are trying to match hem/onc have no problem matching to monte which is pretty solid program, esp coming from a university affiliated community program. That’s all

Also, I haven’t found anything about Jacobi having their own hem/onc program? They’re not listed on ERAS.

That’s a much more fair critique of the program. I only had a problem with the comments that were untrue. They def have some scut and I can’t comment about the politics but do know it’s a very hard working busy training program. That said many of their interested (mostly FMG/IMG) trainees that are trying to match hem/onc have no problem matching to monte which is pretty solid program, esp coming from a university affiliated community program. That’s all

Also, I haven’t found anything about Jacobi having their own hem/onc program? They’re not listed on ERAS.
Yes, that's true. I know because I interviewed there and it just got approved recently.

houston
mcw
lenox
uf
I don’t know about ranking Houston Methodist so high tho. I interviewed there and it’s a nice place, but it seems like a very... elite private hospital. Also people say it’s good to be a pt there, not so much as a resident
Especially when the poster has legit university places like UF

Any thoughts on these program ranking ?

1) St. Luke Chesterfield, MO
2) Marshfield Clinic, Wisconsin
3) Metropolitan NYC
4) St. Luke Anderson, PA
5) Flushing, NY

Please help me rank if anyone knows about these programs. Not able to find much details...
Thanks

I don’t know about ranking Houston Methodist so high tho. I interviewed there and it’s a nice place, but it seems like a very... elite private hospital. Also people say it’s good to be a pt there, not so much as a resident
Especially when the poster has legit university places like UF
Been there seen that..

Hi, all. Long-time lurker.

MSTP applicant going into heme-onc. I applied to a range of PSTPs as well as categorical programs that didn't have a formal PSTP. My long-term interest is academia, primarily running a basic science lab.

Programs where I have a guaranteed heme-onc spot were I to match are indicated - even though I have commitments for heme-onc spots, they are not binding on my part and I will still apply to Farber, Memorial, Hopkins, and NCI when the time comes. My main priorities are: 1) supportive IM program with quality training, 2) ability to match at Farber/Memorial/Hopkins/NCI, and 3) living in a city that is reasonable for a busy, stressed intern.

I broke it up into tiers to reflect my own current thoughts, not as a general comment on prestige or rigor.

Tier 1: absolutely set on Hopkins.
1) Hopkins - simply feels like the right place. My number 1 choice from essentially every perspective.

Tier 2: I can imagine moving these programs around quite a bit. I am especially not set on 6-9.
2) UCSF - Everyone was incredibly nice, and the clinical and basic science apparatus are obviously fantastic. SF is remarkably expensive though, and even though I appreciate the experience that comes with 3 hospitals, having to learn so many systems as an intern also intimidates me a bit. I am considering moving UCSF lower for these reasons - would this be a mistake?
3) Yale (heme-onc spot commitment): Simply loved Yale - the people, culture, program directors. I had a really good feeling during the interview process here. It's maybe smaller than some of the other places I interviewed at, but there is no shortage of fantastic science. That being said, I am wondering why so many people usually rank Yale lower than some of the other programs I have on my list.
4) Cornell (heme-onc spot commitment): Wonderful program leadership and heme-onc is excellent. I don't know if living in NYC is worth the extra difficulty and stress.
5) Duke: I didn't expect to like this place as much as I did, but the program director was phenomenal. Beautiful hospital. Considering moving this up above Cornell.
6) Columbia: Inspirational camaraderie amongst the house staff, but same as Cornell - not sure if NYC is a good idea for me.
7) Mayo (heme-onc spot commitment): I loved the culture. The PSTP leadership is wonderful, and the translational commitment is really inspiring. A few concerns about living there.
8) Michigan (heme-onc spot commitment): Amazing, amazing science and wonderful PSTP leadership - considering moving up. Simply ranked lower maybe due to location, though Ann Arbor is a nice college town.
9) Wash U (heme-onc spot commitment): Same as Michigan - just great science and committed leadership. Might move up a spot or two, but simply ranked lower due to location.

Tier 3: Set on these two programs at the end of my list.
10) My home institution - leaving name off. I love my home institution, but I just feel a deep personal need to go see someplace else and can't imagine ranking it higher.
11) U of Chicago (heme-onc spot commitment): Absolutely nothing wrong with this place. Beautiful hospital and high-quality science. Just didn't get the feeling it was for me.
Hey - Im a fellow PSTP applicant this year (Cards). Im also ranking Hopkins #1, so hopefully we end up in the same spot! Just wanted give my mindset re: guaranteed fellowship spot and would be interested in how you are approaching it. Essentially, I don't place any significant value in guaranteed spots as a lot can change in the course of a couple of years (PIs leave, etc). While, it won't be all that difficult to end up wherever you want for fellowship given the caliber of programs listed. There are a few places where I do think they do a great job supporting fellows to faculty positions but I still don't view a significant hindrance going elsewhere first. Anyway, good luck!

Hi, all. Long-time lurker.

MSTP applicant going into heme-onc. I applied to a range of PSTPs as well as categorical programs that didn't have a formal PSTP. My long-term interest is academia, primarily running a basic science lab.

Programs where I have a guaranteed heme-onc spot were I to match are indicated - even though I have commitments for heme-onc spots, they are not binding on my part and I will still apply to Farber, Memorial, Hopkins, and NCI when the time comes. My main priorities are: 1) supportive IM program with quality training, 2) ability to match at Farber/Memorial/Hopkins/NCI, and 3) living in a city that is reasonable for a busy, stressed intern.

I broke it up into tiers to reflect my own current thoughts, not as a general comment on prestige or rigor.

Tier 1: absolutely set on Hopkins.
1) Hopkins - simply feels like the right place. My number 1 choice from essentially every perspective.

Tier 2: I can imagine moving these programs around quite a bit. I am especially not set on 6-9.
2) UCSF - Everyone was incredibly nice, and the clinical and basic science apparatus are obviously fantastic. SF is remarkably expensive though, and even though I appreciate the experience that comes with 3 hospitals, having to learn so many systems as an intern also intimidates me a bit. I am considering moving UCSF lower for these reasons - would this be a mistake?
3) Yale (heme-onc spot commitment): Simply loved Yale - the people, culture, program directors. I had a really good feeling during the interview process here. It's maybe smaller than some of the other places I interviewed at, but there is no shortage of fantastic science. That being said, I am wondering why so many people usually rank Yale lower than some of the other programs I have on my list.
4) Cornell (heme-onc spot commitment): Wonderful program leadership and heme-onc is excellent. I don't know if living in NYC is worth the extra difficulty and stress.
5) Duke: I didn't expect to like this place as much as I did, but the program director was phenomenal. Beautiful hospital. Considering moving this up above Cornell.
6) Columbia: Inspirational camaraderie amongst the house staff, but same as Cornell - not sure if NYC is a good idea for me.
7) Mayo (heme-onc spot commitment): I loved the culture. The PSTP leadership is wonderful, and the translational commitment is really inspiring. A few concerns about living there.
8) Michigan (heme-onc spot commitment): Amazing, amazing science and wonderful PSTP leadership - considering moving up. Simply ranked lower maybe due to location, though Ann Arbor is a nice college town.
9) Wash U (heme-onc spot commitment): Same as Michigan - just great science and committed leadership. Might move up a spot or two, but simply ranked lower due to location.

Tier 3: Set on these two programs at the end of my list.
10) My home institution - leaving name off. I love my home institution, but I just feel a deep personal need to go see someplace else and can't imagine ranking it higher.
11) U of Chicago (heme-onc spot commitment): Absolutely nothing wrong with this place. Beautiful hospital and high-quality science. Just didn't get the feeling it was for me.

UCSF-If your only reservation is learning multiple systems, you're there to learn medicine and eventually you'll figure it out. I don't think I've ever heard someone regret a big time program because of learning multiple systems. Though despite it's name, you may be at a disadvantage applying to east coast hem/onc programs.
Yale-I'm one who'd usually rank it lower. When I applied not too long ago, yale wasn't very well regarded, it's come up in recent years seemingly aided by a more academic/research push. Also their fellowship programs aren't anything special compared to other IM programs of similar caliber, so maybe that's something to do with it as well.

Location is very subjective, be disregarding that. I'd be inclined to do hopkins, duke, columbia/cornell (MSKCC connection), after that it's up to you. Certainly Mich/WashU over mayo.

my list looks pretty different from you guys' haha but anyway could you help me rank these three programs in terms of rep and likely access to fellowship down the line (prob gonna be a hospitalist/do gim but who knows)

1. boise vamc / uw boise, idaho (they used to be a part of the uw main residency but now they're their own program)
2. st. joseph's denver, colorado (theyre partnered w nat jewish now so that's probably helpful if i fall in love with pulm/crit?)
3. kaiser hawaii (brand new program, soft ties to uh/jabsom... very very good salary/vacation/benefits package lol)

pretty different locations lol but please ignore that

Hey y'all!
I'm applying to IM and I have no idea how to rank these 3:

Lenox hill
Staten island university hospital
Medical city fort worth.

I'm interested in doing GI later down the line - all 3 programs have GI fellowships which I'm told is important for someone that wants to do GI.

While I think lenox hill and SIUH are better programs than Medical city, I can't help but wonder if I'll have any time to do research in the NY programs due to all the scut work.
Any input would be great!

Having some trouble organizing part of my list. Specifically, does anybody have any thoughts on Columbia vs. Northwestern? Interested in cardiology for fellowship, and have family/friends in both cities.

I’m struggling with ranking my top two. I’m between Washu and Mayo. I loved both programs on interview day - Mayo slightly more. They both have great research opportunities/mentorship/funding/schedule and didactics/education. I’m interested in Heme Onc fellowship and they both have great fellowship programs, clinical exposure to heme onc, and great match list (especially to top programs and west coast). I want to be able to match back to California for fellowship.

Mayo: pros - connections, lighter schedule (4+4 with two months of research per year), lots of educational funds for books, exams, conferences, 6-8 Heme onc spots for Mayo IM (not including fast track).
Cons- Rochester (nothing to do and Minneapolis is 1.5 hrs away), more of a hassle to fly out of since the airport is so small and Minneapolis is a drive away, clinical training and ED experience may be weaker, not as many organ transplant patients I think, no VA.

WashU: pros - high IM ranking, connections, schedule is heaving during inpatient month but light on consults and outpatient (4+2+2 with 3 months of research before 3rd year), stronger clinical training and VA experience, slightly better west coast heme onc match, St. Louis is more interesting and has better food, has a major airport so flights to CA should be easier and cheaper, more diverse pt population.
Cons - busier so research may be a little harder to do then at Mayo but I think the schedule should still make it doable, WashU heme onc takes only 1-2 of Washu IM (not including fast track).

Please let me know if I missed anything regarding both of these programs.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I’m an interview season lurker and looking for some guidance on a few programs. I am interested in IM primary care programs and am torn how to rank the NYC ones I interviewed at. Current career goals include academic primary care, Med Ed, and maybe residency leadership down the road.

#1 - set in stone due to location, it is a similar quality program to the NYC programs

#2 - NYU

#3 - Cornell

#4 - Mt. Sinai Icahn

I am not totally set on that order for 2-4, however it is what I am currently thinking. I really enjoyed the enthusiasm and curriculum for Primary Care at NYU, however doing the majority of my inpatient training at Bellevue is definitely intimidating. Cornell and Sinai are probably slightly more “chill” comparatively but obviously still hard work. I also prefer the location of Cornell and Sinai, plus they have guaranteed subsidized housing which NYU does not. Any thoughts? I feel like it is really hard to judge the differences between primary care tracks...

Having some trouble organizing part of my list. Specifically, does anybody have any thoughts on Columbia vs. Northwestern? Interested in cardiology for fellowship, and have family/friends in both cities.

Columbia is a cardiac powerhouse and many fellow stay, but NW is solid too, match well from both. Go with gut, otherwise columbia>NW.

I’m struggling with ranking my top two. I’m between Washu and Mayo. I loved both programs on interview day - Mayo slightly more. They both have great research opportunities/mentorship/funding/schedule and didactics/education. I’m interested in Heme Onc fellowship and they both have great fellowship programs, clinical exposure to heme onc, and great match list (especially to top programs and west coast). I want to be able to match back to California for fellowship.

Mayo: pros - connections, lighter schedule (4+4 with two months of research per year), lots of educational funds for books, exams, conferences, 6-8 Heme onc spots for Mayo IM (not including fast track).
Cons- Rochester (nothing to do and Minneapolis is 1.5 hrs away), more of a hassle to fly out of since the airport is so small and Minneapolis is a drive away, clinical training and ED experience may be weaker, not as many organ transplant patients I think, no VA.

WashU: pros - high IM ranking, connections, schedule is heaving during inpatient month but light on consults and outpatient (4+2+2 with 3 months of research before 3rd year), stronger clinical training and VA experience, slightly better west coast heme onc match, St. Louis is more interesting and has better food, has a major airport so flights to CA should be easier and cheaper, more diverse pt population.
Cons - busier so research may be a little harder to do then at Mayo but I think the schedule should still make it doable, WashU heme onc takes only 1-2 of Washu IM (not including fast track).

Please let me know if I missed anything regarding both of these programs.

WashU>Mayo, research months aren't a big deal and 1-2 spots for hem-onc is irrelevant if you wanna go CA for fellowship.

Hi everyone. I’m an interview season lurker and looking for some guidance on a few programs. I am interested in IM primary care programs and am torn how to rank the NYC ones I interviewed at. Current career goals include academic primary care, Med Ed, and maybe residency leadership down the road.

#1 - set in stone due to location, it is a similar quality program to the NYC programs

#2 - NYU

#3 - Cornell

#4 - Mt. Sinai Icahn

I am not totally set on that order for 2-4, however it is what I am currently thinking. I really enjoyed the enthusiasm and curriculum for Primary Care at NYU, however doing the majority of my inpatient training at Bellevue is definitely intimidating. Cornell and Sinai are probably slightly more “chill” comparatively but obviously still hard work. I also prefer the location of Cornell and Sinai, plus they have guaranteed subsidized housing which NYU does not. Any thoughts? I feel like it is really hard to judge the differences between primary care tracks...

You're correct, PC tracks are hard to discern and in the end won't make a huge difference, go with whichever felt best, can't go wrong with any of them.

I am an IMG applying for IM. I am hoping for GI or Heme/Onc post residency. I need help ranking these programs

Icahn Queens Hospital Medical Center
Kent Hospital/Warwick RI
MacNeal Hospital-Berwyn Il
HCA/GME Orlando
DMC/Sinai Grace
Overlook Hospital-Summit
Flushing Hospital

Hello,

Please help me rank these programs, pursuing GI. My preliminary order. No geographic preference. Thank you.

Case
Tufts
Maryland
George Washington
Utah

you! Appreciate the thoughts, especially re: UCSF - I still have it as #2 on my list, though I'm going to have to look at housing and see just how feasible SF would be.
It's really, really tough. It likely would have been #1 on my list if it weren't for the housing issue.

Hi everyone. I am a visa requiring img applying for IM. I am interested in a fellowship maybe cardio or GI. I would really appreciate if you guys can help me with the ranking of the following programs.

Cooper university
Uconn
Methodist Houston
University of texas- Houston
Kansas university medical center
University of Oklahoma
SUNY Upstate medical center
St lukes- roosevelt
Cook county
Alleghany
St Elizabeth Boston
Yale/Bridgeport
Maimonides

Thanks!

Hi everyone. I am a visa requiring img applying for IM. I am interested in a fellowship maybe cardio or GI. I would really appreciate if you guys can help me with the ranking of the following programs.

Cooper university
Uconn
Methodist Houston
University of Oklahoma
St lukes- roosevelt
Cook county
Alleghany
St Elizabeth Boston
Yale/Bridgeport
Maimonides

Thanks!
Seems like a pretty random order. Cooper at the top?

Seems like a pretty random order. Cooper at the top?
Sorry it’s a random order. Although cooper is still second on my tentative list.

Uconn
Cooper university
Methodist Houston
St lukes roosevelt
Cook county
Yale/Bridgeport
University of Oklahoma
Alleghany
St Elizabeth Boston
Maimonides

Hello,

Please help me rank these programs, pursuing GI. My preliminary order. No geographic preference. Thank you.

Case
Tufts
Maryland
George Washington
Utah

Only program I can comment on here would be Utah. Even if you fell that far on your list I think you would be in a good position.

Anybody have any insight?
I don't have a lot of real insight on most of those programs, but as someone who is also planning on GI I think you are in a good spot looking at Louisville. They churn out GI fellows with regularity and are a real hidden gem.

@GastriqueGraffin I'm hoping to match into GI after residency. Pretty uncertain about the top of my rank list at this point but here's the programs will make the top 7: USC, UAB, Louisville, UT Houston, Baylor Scott White, Utah, U of AZ-PHX.

Prioritizing a solid residency that will help me reach my goal of matching GI. Would be nice to be in a good place for a family of 3 soon to be 4.

I spent better part of yesterday morning looking at places, and it's far more difficult than even NYC, where I can pretty easily find reasonable places next to Columbia and Cornell.

Because you've thought about this decision before, may I ask a follow-up - do you think it would be reasonable to put these places above UCSF almost solely based on the cost of living: Columbia, Cornell, Duke, and Yale? Goal is heme-onc with a predominantly basic science lab career.
None of those places are going to limit your future compared to UCSF so I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

@GastriqueGraffin I'm hoping to match into GI after residency. Pretty uncertain about the top of my rank list at this point but here's the programs will make the top 7: USC, UAB, Louisville, UT Houston, Baylor Scott White, Utah, U of AZ-PHX.

Prioritizing a solid residency that will help me reach my goal of matching GI. Would be nice to be in a good place for a family of 3 soon to be 4.

You're in a good spot with those programs if you want to do GI. You can't really go wrong, because at the end of the day, you control how good of an application you have (research is the biggest selling point of the whole process). None of those programs will close any doors (maybe AZ-Phx will if you are an average applicant). A few things to keep in mind:

Fellowships are very regional. Doing residency at USC and getting solid letters puts you in good standing for GI fellowship not only at USC, but for a number of southern california programs, as they all tend to interview any solid candidate from the southern california area from academic centers. UAB, in my opinion, is a very underrated IM program. I have had multiple friends go there who have matched into great fellowships across the southeast and east coast, and met a lot of their residents on the GI interview trail. I think they have had a 100% match list for all fellowships over the last few years. Utah is a great place as well, and you'd probably get solid west coast interviews coming from there. All in all, I would keep in mind WHERE you and your family want you to do fellowship, as the fellowship match (especially GI) and fellowship interviews are extremely regional.

I am currently a chief resident at a major IM program who just matched GI and looked at a few of those programs for GI, and UAB, USC, Baylor and Utah are awesome. UT Houston is good but those fellows get worked to the bone. Dont know much about Louisville, but im sure its good, although may be a little geographically limiting unless you are just a killer applicant.