Official 2018/2019 "Help Me Rank" Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Really going back and forth on my ROL now... particularly the middle. I would like to be in the West to be closer to family now that my sister is pregnant, but I'm afraid the IVs I got in the West are less prestigious and won't open as many doors as the others farther away (interested in academic medicine, 90% sure I want to do GI). So far:

1. UC San Diego
2. Vanderbilt
3. U Chicago
4. Icahn/Mount Sinai
5. Cedars-Sinai
6. Baylor
7. UC Irvine
8. Utah
9. NYU Tisch-Kimmel
10. NYU Trad

I loved UCSD and have no issue ranking it 1 even though I like the programs at Vandy and UChicago slightly better (that X+Y scheduling... hrrghhh). But I'm struggling with where to place Cedars the most, to be honest. I get the impression it is a lower-mid tier IM residency and you'll always be second banana to UCLA, plus the impression I got that many patients aren't even seen/touched by residents due to the high number of private physicians affiliated with Cedars. But I'd also really like to be in LA, at least, more than NYC or Houston. And while I liked the people at UC Irvine, and I thought the program coordinator and program director were awesome, I felt strange vibes from the residents (although they were all exceptionally nice, I ended up getting the impression that it is much more of a workhorse program than the others on my list). Utah I also really enjoyed (TBH, I liked all of the places I ended up interviewing at, so I guess that's a good thing), although I worry what life would be like as a gay man in SLC.

I suppose I'm just really hoping I get my top choice at this point... but you never know.
I think Utah should definitely be above Cedars. Your point about the socially conservative nature of Utah is well taken, but SLC is a fairly liberal/tolerant pocket in the state. I'm not you and can't make any promises, but I think you'll be fine.

But honestly, with the list you've got, lock your top 3-4 in and prepare to go there.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

I think Utah should definitely be above Cedars. Your point about the socially conservative nature of Utah is well taken, but SLC is a fairly liberal/tolerant pocket in the state. I'm not you and can't make any promises, but I think you'll be fine.

But honestly, with the list you've got, lock your top 3-4 in and prepare to go there.

Good luck.

Thank you (and hepatitisCyoulater) for your responses! I had a great interview day at Utah, got great vibes from everyone, and for an outdoorsy person SLC is unparalleled. Honestly, I was only ranking Baylor ahead of it as Baylor also felt good with the benefit of having what I perceived to be a stronger national rep. However, Utah seems to have a great rep as well!

As far as Cedars goes, I felt like proximity to an awesome GI department would give great opportunities for research, and I’d be hoping to do fellowship on the west coast no matter where I go for residency.

Also, do you have any feelings regarding 2-4? I keep waffling on them (currently thinking of moving UChicago above Vandy, and Sinai has shifted between 3 and 4 a few times).

Also, do you have any feelings regarding 2-4? I keep waffling on them (currently thinking of moving UChicago above Vandy, and Sinai has shifted between 3 and 4 a few times).
All I can say is that Sinai was my #2 and UofC #3 (and I matched my #1). I didn't interview at Vandy or UCSD. From a reputation standpoint, Vandy and UofC might have a slight edge among your top 4, but honestly, you can't really go wrong there.

If you want to go back to the socio-cultural issues, I think you're going to be "happier as a gay man" in SD, Chicago or NYC than Nashville. But if being outdoors is important to you, then UCSD and Vandy (and Utah by a mile) are probably probably better options.

Again, you've got a very good problem to have. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I am an IMG US permanent residents with several years of research experiences and want to do cardiology fellowship in the future. Would love to hear some suggestions for my ranking list. Thank you very much in advance. Location is not important to me as long as the training and fellowship placement is good.

They are all categorical except UAB. UAB offered me an ABIM pathway (2 years IM, 2 years Cario + 3 years of protected research). I like research but also want to leave my options open for academic physician/ private practice in the future.

1. Hopkins Olser (Categorical and Primary)
2. Hopkins Bayview (Categorical and Primary)
3. UAB ABIM pathway
4. Montefiore Moses Weiler
5. Rush
6. Rutgers New Jersey
7. SUNY UPSTATE
8. Bridgeport
9. Jacobi (Categorical and Primary)
10. Rochester
11. Cook
12. SUNY downstate (Categorical and Primary)
13. Hackensack
14. JFK/Palm Beach.
15. SIU
16. St Vincent in MA
17. Danbury
18. Florida Hospital

Thank you very much!
Why Bridgeport above Jacobi? I would maybe place Jacobi at #7 or #8.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you (and hepatitisCyoulater) for your responses! I had a great interview day at Utah, got great vibes from everyone, and for an outdoorsy person SLC is unparalleled. Honestly, I was only ranking Baylor ahead of it as Baylor also felt good with the benefit of having what I perceived to be a stronger national rep. However, Utah seems to have a great rep as well!

As far as Cedars goes, I felt like proximity to an awesome GI department would give great opportunities for research, and I’d be hoping to do fellowship on the west coast no matter where I go for residency.

I agree with gutonc . Keep in mind that UChicago is very research-heavy which is great if that is what you are looking for. Vanderbilt I think has a little better balance of research and clinical, although you will still get good clinical training at UChicago. I would ask yourself how important a research heavy environment is to you, because UChicago is a big part of their experience. Honestly, Im not too familiar with Sinai but I think Vanderbilt and UChicago will be better for fellowship opportunities because their research is stronger. NYC, Chicago and Nashville are all awesome places to live. I think you just gotta go with your gut on this ,and think about where you want to live. Again, you will not go wrong with any of these places.

I thought Bridgeport has very good teaching and training. Their morning report was very impressive when i attended. Jacobi seems to have less learning opportunities bc everybody is very busy?
Both are great programs, I know residents in both programs and they are happy with teaching, but yes Jacobi is very busy. I just know that Jacobi has a great reputation for cardiology match, but if you don't want a program that is very busy then it totally makes sense.

I thought Bridgeport has very good teaching and training. Their morning report was very impressive when i attended. Jacobi seems to have less learning opportunities bc everybody is very busy?

Jacobi is a significantly more reputable program than Bridgeport, in a pretty significantly better location (much closer to city)

Please help me rank: George Washington, University of Cincinnati, MCW, and CCF

Please help me rank: George Washington, University of Cincinnati, MCW, and CCF

All depends on what you want to do, where you want to be etc. Think about where you want to do fellowship/practice. Cincinnati has that unique long block schedule, does that appeal to you or not? Do you want to live in a big city like DC? Cleveland Clinic is probably the biggest name, if you are not sure where you want to do fellowship or practice. MCW is a strong program but may limit you to just midwestern fellowship programs.

Thoughts? US Grad. Planning to pursue hem/onc but still open to other subspecialties. Priorities are reputation, fellowship opportunities, strong teaching, research.

1. OHSU
2. OSU
3. URochester
4. CCF
5. GWU
6. Mayo FL
7. Cincy
8-13 academic community programs

Last edited:
Thoughts? US Grad. Planning to pursue hem/onc but still open to other subspecialties. Priorities are reputation, fellowship opportunities, strong teaching, research.

1. OHSU
2. OSU
3. URochester
4. CCF
5. GWU
6. Mayo FL
7. Cincy
8-13 academic community programs

I would rank these the same way

This seems reasonable. You know you can always move somewhere else and come back to NYC right? It’s three years and the furthest program on that list is UVM and Hershey - the latter which is like maximum 2 hours away
Thanks for the reply! You are totally right. It is not that long a time or far of a distance. But I wanted to know if there is that much of a difference between them academically. In that case I'd just stay closer to home. I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I’m a DO student from the NYC/Long Island area. My 1-3 are set but I’m thinking about my 4-6. It’s up between Stony Brook, Downstate and Mount Sinai Beth Israel. Each has their drawbacks, Stony’s is their location, DS’ is their scut work and MSBI’s is the transforming/downsizing process.

My dream has always been to stay in NYC. I did enjoy my interview time at Stony and DS, I thought all the residents were really nice and both programs seemed great. I absolutely loved MSBI’s residents and leadership. They spoke more about their transformation and informed us that the move to the new hospital wouldn’t be coming until 2023 (after our residency would be done). The PD assured us that the program will still have a strong presence in the current facility and new one. My heart is telling me to rank MSBI above DS and Stony but I’m just a tad bit nervous on how their changes may impact me when it’s time to graduate and go on to fellowships or jobs. If anyone has any thoughts or advice I would really appreciate it! Good luck to everyone and I hope we all get one of our top choices!

University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences vs. Mount Sinai SLR? Interested in Cards.

Hey all would appreciate any input. Goal is academic cardiology with possible sub-specialization. Fellowship placement and rigorous clinical training are high on my list as well as location (NE). Having some trouble with my 2 and 3; definitely loved Jefferson more on interview day than GTown but I feel like GTown has a better national reputation for fellowships. I got a great vibe from Mayo and Jeff and a good vibe from Gtown.

1) Mayo (MN)
2) Georgetown
3) Jefferson
4) Rutgers NJMS
5) Stonybrook
6) Lenox Hill
7) Downstate
8) Drexel
9) UConn
10) Jacobi
11) SLR
12-14) Pennsylvania Hospital/NYU Winthrop/ Wayne State

Interested in cardiology fellowship. Are the following programs at equal level, or is there a clear #1 in terms of strength of program and setting me up for cards.
-UAB
-UF
-Wisconsin
-OSU
-UMinnesota
-Indiana U
-UMD

I probably liked UF most on interview day, but I could see myself at any of those programs. Is UAB significantly better than UF?

Hey guys. I need some advice about the middle of my rank list. Interested in either rheumatology or heme/onc for fellowship. What would you say is the best suited program with this in mind? Would Loma linda set me up better for fellowship more than a community program? What about scripps mercy vs Kaiser LA?

5) Loma Linda
6) Scripps Mercy
7) Kaiser LA

Interested in cardiology fellowship. Are the following programs at equal level, or is there a clear #1 in terms of strength of program and setting me up for cards.
-UAB
-UF
-Wisconsin
-OSU
-UMinnesota
-Indiana U
-UMD

I probably liked UF most on interview day, but I could see myself at any of those programs. Is UAB significantly better than UF?

You are in a good position, cause you got some good programs. All factors aside (location, personal preference), I think that UAB is probably the best on there to get into Cards but its really close. OSU and IU are fairly similar and are both great programs, and Minnesota has an excellent cardiology program. Wisconsin is in that realm too, but I would give the edge to Minnesota. I would actually argue that UF is probably near the bottom of these programs along with UMd (although I would give the edge to UMD), and I would say that UAB is significantly better than UF. Again, UF is not a bad program, and if you work hard and have a good resume, matching cardiology shouldnt be a problem there. I would rank those as UAB> IU = OSU = Minnesota> Wisconsin (only slightly)>UMD>UF. But these are all good places and you would get solid training at all of them.

I know I keep saying this on other threads, but you got to keep in mind where you want to fellowship. UAB will set you up well in the southeast, and even the big dogs like Vanderbilt, Emory, Duke, UNC will give you a look from UAB (not so much from UF unless you are killer). But, if you want to end up in the midwest, residency at IU/OSU/Minnesota will get you looks at Northwestern, UChicago, WashU, Wisconsin, Michigan etc. These places wont really look at you from UAB unless you are just a hell of an applicant. UMD would set you up well for the DC area. Just things to think about. You are going to be fine though

Help please :))
I'd really appreciate some help to rank these programs:
- St. Elizabeth's in Boston
- Swedish Covenant in Chicago
- Mercy Hospital in St. Louis

Or if anyone has some info about any of these places. Thank you!

-UAB
-UF
-Wisconsin
-OSU
-UMinnesota
-Indiana U
-UMD

From a pure program rep standpoint, UF should be closer to the bottom of that list. But it's fine the way it is too.

Hey all would appreciate any input. Goal is academic cardiology with possible sub-specialization. Fellowship placement and rigorous clinical training are high on my list as well as location (NE). Having some trouble with my 2 and 3; definitely loved Jefferson more on interview day than GTown but I feel like GTown has a better national reputation for fellowships. I got a great vibe from Mayo and Jeff and a good vibe from Gtown.

1) Mayo (MN)
2) Georgetown
3) Jefferson
4) Rutgers NJMS
5) Stonybrook
6) Lenox Hill
7) Downstate
8) Drexel
9) UConn
10) Jacobi
11) SLR
12-14) Pennsylvania Hospital/NYU Winthrop/ Wayne State

If you are gung-ho for Cardiology I would give the edge to Jefferson. Georgetown recently had to move/split their cardiology fellowship with Washington Hospital Center. I think the reputation for fellowships is probably pretty similar, you can compare their match lists if you would like. If you got a better vibe from Jeff, why not rank it higher? Unless you would rather be in DC I guess. Mayo is the best on your list by a mile. Mayo would set you up nicely for a career in academic cardiology cause they are all about academic everything. If your goal is cardiology fellowship and academic medicine, then academic/research centers have to be at the top of your list (which they pretty much are already).

If you are gung-ho for Cardiology I would give the edge to Jefferson. Georgetown recently had to move/split their cardiology fellowship with Washington Hospital Center. I think the reputation for fellowships is probably pretty similar, you can compare their match lists if you would like. If you got a better vibe from Jeff, why not rank it higher? Unless you would rather be in DC I guess. Mayo is the best on your list by a mile. Mayo would set you up nicely for a career in academic cardiology cause they are all about academic everything. If your goal is cardiology fellowship and academic medicine, then academic/research centers have to be at the top of your list (which they pretty much are already).

This is super off base. You are giving the wrong advice by far.

To me a good cards program allows you the ability to pursue potentially both an academic or a clinical career and has to have good clinical volumes.

Mayo is good but does not offer you a good path to a private practice job if you decide you don’t like academic medicine. You simply cannot get sufficient training in multiple modalities.

The Georgetown/WHC fellowship is considered a powerhouse fellowship and has huge clinical volumes and many leaders in the field. The main TAVR studies were published from there and plenty of research opportunities exist.

The Jeff fellowship has had a lot of problems. They’re decent but their HF program folded and they have reasonable noninvasive volumes but low cath and EP volumes. They are not as strong as WHC.

To me a good cards program allows you the ability to pursue potentially both an academic or a clinical career and has to have good clinical volumes.

Mayo is good but does not offer you a good path to a private practice job if you decide you don’t like academic medicine. You simply cannot get sufficient training in multiple modalities.

The Georgetown/WHC fellowship is considered a powerhouse fellowship and has huge clinical volumes and many leaders in the field. The main TAVR studies were published from there and plenty of research opportunities exist.

The Jeff fellowship has had a lot of problems. They’re decent but their HF program folded and they have reasonable noninvasive volumes but low cath and EP volumes. They are not as strong as WHC.

Look, All I know is what my cardiology colleagues tell me. Physicians can be biased, bitter people with inaccurate opinions of institutions. I am not a Cardiologist. You may be absolutely right in this case, Gtown/WHC may be a great place to train in Cardiology. I also didnt say anything about the Jeff fellowship, I dont know anything about their cardiology fellowship and nor do my colleagues. These were only my own thoughts from my own conversations with cardiologists, I did not intend to mislead anybody. I encourage anybody on this forum to do their own research and make their own conclusions as well.

Hello all! Future fellowship interest- undecided which one.
Cooper university vs St lukes Roosevelt or Cook county?

Hi, I would like some input about my rank list. I'm considering renal/endo fellowship, and location is less important to me. How is this order in terms of program strength? Also I'm wondering where USC fits in with respect to the other programs. My mentors are not familiar with the west coast. Thanks!

2. Wake Forest
3. U of Rochester
4. Wisconsin
5. Indiana
? USC+LAC

Hey everyone. Any thoughts about UConn vs UMass?
Considering reputation, clinical exposure, fellowship match(undecided/ maybe heme-onc), location(Hartford vs Worcester), COL.

Last edited:
UF vs MCW?
Don't care about location, more interested in clinical training and fellowship

Hey all, Please help me with this list, DO student going for IM interested in pursing either Rheum or Cards in the future (undecided). I am from the Baltimore area.

1.Christiana (This will be my number 1)
2.Sinai hospital of Baltimore
3.SUNY downstate
4.Greater Baltimore Medical Center (community program, no fellowships)
5. St. Josephs (Patterson NJ community program but has in-house cards program)

Thanks!!

I am really struggling on how to rank UTMB vs UConn. I am interested in fellowship and having some hard time deciding which one has a better reputation overall. I don't mind the location.

I am really struggling on how to rank UTMB vs UConn. I am interested in fellowship and having some hard time deciding which one has a better reputation overall. I don't mind the location.
Uconn has a solid reputation in the northeast and their fellowship match is arguably better than utmb

Can someone tell me which program is better between Richmond University Medical Center VS LIJ forest hills? Want a fellowship in Hemonc

Last minute still unable to decide between Mississippi and Vermont for my #2 spot. MIssissippi is going to have far better clinical diversity in pathology (Vermont said they only have 3 sickle cell patients in the entire state and they know all of the patients by name) for example. Both match decently into Heme/Onc which is what I am interested in pursuing a fellowship in. In addition cost of living would be better in Mississippi and my money would take me further, for example I could buy a house in Mississippi but would be priced out of VT. I enjoyed the environment and people Vermont better than the brief exposure I had to Mississippi so i'm having a tough time deciding. Any thoughts?
I'd do Vermont for quality of living. I'd have to be paid 3x more to live in MS. You can always go to a different region for fellowship for a more diverse patient population.

Had the same question. Ended up ranking UTMB over UConn. UTMB is more laidback, it is on the beach, and their fellowship match rate is really good ( specially in the South). I also don’t like snow/ cold weather. Having said all of that, UConn likely has a better reputation overall, specially in the NE. Both programs are mid tier Univ programs that should set you up well for fellowships if you put the effort, based on their track record. I would choose based on gut feeling and location.

Had the same question. Ended up ranking UTMB over UConn. UTMB is more laidback, it is on the beach, and their fellowship match rate is really good ( specially in the South). I also don’t like snow/ cold weather. Having said all of that, UConn likely has a better reputation overall, specially in the NE. Both programs are mid tier Univ programs that should set you up well for fellowships if you put the effort, based on their track record. I would choose based on gut feeling and location.

Yeah. That 100% fellowship rate was tempting. I ended up ranking UConn above UTMB, likely secondary to my bias on staying in NE for fellowship. I also like the city more. I guess you can't go wrong on this one.

Hey everyone, I’m a DO student from the NYC/Long Island area. My 1-3 are set but I’m thinking about my 4-6. It’s up between Stony Brook, Downstate and Mount Sinai Beth Israel. Each has their drawbacks, Stony’s is their location, DS’ is their scut work and MSBI’s is the transforming/downsizing process.

My dream has always been to stay in NYC. I did enjoy my interview time at Stony and DS, I thought all the residents were really nice and both programs seemed great. I absolutely loved MSBI’s residents and leadership. They spoke more about their transformation and informed us that the move to the new hospital wouldn’t be coming until 2023 (after our residency would be done). The PD assured us that the program will still have a strong presence in the current facility and new one. My heart is telling me to rank MSBI above DS and Stony but I’m just a tad bit nervous on how their changes may impact me when it’s time to graduate and go on to fellowships or jobs. If anyone has any thoughts or advice I would really appreciate it! Good luck to everyone and I hope we all get one of our top choices!

Stonybrook > the other 2

While I wholeheartedly agree about the Georgetown/Washington Hospital cardiology program being very strong, for IM Mayo will open up the most doors to match into cardiology. In addition, their 4+4 schedule is less rigorous clinically but certainly gives you a lot of time for research-related activities for fellowship application.

Hi, I would like some input about my rank list. I'm considering renal/endo fellowship, and location is less important to me. How is this order in terms of program strength? Also I'm wondering where USC fits in with respect to the other programs. My mentors are not familiar with the west coast. Thanks!

2. Wake Forest
3. U of Rochester
4. Wisconsin
5. Indiana
? USC+LAC

Rochester/Wisconsin > Indiana > Wake Forest (not taking location into account). USC is ~ Indiana although Cali >> everywhere else in terms of weather.

UF vs MCW?
Don't care about location, more interested in clinical training and fellowship

UF