Official 2018-2019 Hematology/Oncology Academic Job Search

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MLN0128

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here we go~~ Let's get together to share information!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a first year fellow and I think I would like to stay in academia at least for the foreseeable future after completing my fellowship. I'm a foreign medical graduate on a J1 visa and would like to have a contract signed by early 3rd year. I like the place I'm training at and the city and would be happy to stay on as faculty. I know they had hired their own fellows before but people from this year's graduating class of fellows who were considering staying have since found jobs elsewhere. I think its because have a new division director and have not hired anyone ever since he/she came on board. I've worked with the new director in clinic and made it obvious where my interests lie. At what point in my training should I have a conversation with them about a job offer? My current plan is to publish a paper, hopefully have my ASCO abstract accepted as poster this year and take point on a couple of IITs before I ask to be considered for a position here but I wasn't sure if that would be too late.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice how to prepare for the academic job search, specifically for third year fellows?

Any advice how to prepare for the academic job search, specifically for third year fellows?
Find a place you want to go.
Find out if they are recruiting in your area.
Send them a CV and cover letter anyway.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

Bonus if you have faculty with ties somewhere.