Official 2018-2019 Hematology/Oncology fellowship application season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does such a thing exist in IM? Never heard of it.

Yes some community programs have this

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, some programs have PGY3 residents acting as either co-chief or may sometimes be one of the 2 chief resident which is different from the PGY4 resident who dedicates 1 year to the program.

Yeah, the program attached to my medical school also has 3rd year chief residents. There aren’t any PGY-4s at all here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the program attached to my medical school also has 3rd year chief residents. There aren’t any PGY-4s at all here.
Weird. Learn something new every day.

As to the original question, it will be pretty obvious that you're a PGY4 chief. You're worried about nothing.

Let's keep the threat pertinent guys, what do you guys think about programs "not participating" or "incomplete registration" on ERAS? Do these programs typically take only internal applicants? Seems like a headache to do an application process outside of ERAS.

upload_2018-7-12_16-31-40.png

When I assign documents to programs in CA, it shows above message. But I did answer the question. Anyone meet the same issue?
What should I do for this?

Let's keep the threat pertinent guys, what do you guys think about programs "not participating" or "incomplete registration" on ERAS? Do these programs typically take only internal applicants? Seems like a headache to do an application process outside of ERAS.
It just means that their PC or PD hasn’t pushed the right button yet. Probably because they’re busy keeping all the new fellows from killing BMT patients right now. Relax.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else get a UNC decline letter this morning? 7/16/18.

Looks like the earliest interview invite from the previous year was on 7/18 (Texas Tech)

Members don't see this ad :)
Any movement?
Nope. You should all probably start looking into hospitalist positions now.

But seriously...apps have been available for about 36 hours now. I'm sure a few people (homers or 290+ HMS kids) have gotten some interviews. Likewise, a few "autoreject" emails have gone out.

But the bulk of the bidness is coming in a week or 6.

Reactions: 1 users
stay positive guys all of us are soon gonna be swamped with interviews.

Just after submitting my ERAS application, I found out that I have a provisionally accepted first-author publication in a decent journal. This was included in my application as "submitted".
As someone with few publications, I feel this could enhance my publication. How do you suggest I proceed? Is it best to email programs individually with this update or wait until this publication is accepted and i have a PMID?
Thank you

Just after submitting my ERAS application, I found out that I have a provisionally accepted first-author publication in a decent journal. This was included in my application as "submitted".
As someone with few publications, I feel this could enhance my publication. How do you suggest I proceed? Is it best to email programs individually with this update or wait until this publication is accepted and i have a PMID?
Thank you

Talk about it during interviews.

One of my LORs is stil not submitted and unfortunately it is my Heme/Onc letter. I'm kind of freaking out at this point. I already spoke to the letter writer a few days ago and was assured it would be submitted "tomorrow" (which was yesterday) but still no letter. Do I just keep waiting? Do I ask another writer at this late stage? I feel it would be too much pressure to basically ask someone to write a letter in a day or two. I'm surprised and disappointed at this situation. Advice?

One of my LORs is stil not submitted and unfortunately it is my Heme/Onc letter. I'm kind of freaking out at this point. I already spoke to the letter writer a few days ago and was assured it would be submitted "tomorrow" (which was yesterday) but still no letter. Do I just keep waiting? Do I ask another writer at this late stage? I feel it would be too much pressure to basically ask someone to write a letter in a day or two. I'm surprised and disappointed at this situation. Advice?

I’m waiting on one letter to clear And one letter to be submitted by the end of the week.

Everyone else I know (n = 2) is waiting on their last letter. It is what it is

I’m waiting on one letter to clear And one letter to be submitted by the end of the week.

Everyone else I know (n = 2) is waiting on their last letter. It is what it is
Thanks for this, good to know I'm not the only one.

Does anyone have an efficient way to see which programs require a fourth letter of recommendation? I've noticed a few require a 4th letter (i.e. Rush) but it's not always readily available information on the individual fellowship websites. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Did anyone receive an email from Moffitt to verify visa status?
- IMG need VISA

Did anyone receive an email from Moffitt to verify visa status?
- IMG need VISA

I just received an email that said my application was complete and my application was forwarded to the review committee.

Nothing complete about my application, my two hem Onc letters are in EFDO purgatory

I received an email from Mofitt that one of a million things are missing from my application. From process of elimination I've concluded it's my LORs. Interesting that someone else got forwarded to the review committee without them.

Just received he acknowledgment email from university of Michigan

FWIW back two years ago first program I heard from was 7/25 followed By another week of waiting before more trickled in. Last IV came in early September. Get used to waiting

Got a Yale interview today, 7/18/19.

Reactions: 2 users
Great going!!

Hope to get some in coming weeks. Being IMG is tough!!

Reactions: 1 user
According to the PD survey on the NRMP website, only ~11% of programs send out invites in July. My advice is to focus on something else for now.

Should we post like previous years that state the location of the interview and the date the interview was offered? Same thing for rejections?

Interview invite: UTSW - 7/20 American grad

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Interview Invitations/Rejections
(Please bold the new IVs added to keep track of changes)

Invitations
Yale 7/18***
UT Southwestern 7/20***

Rejections
University of North Carolina: 7/16

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

Are there any programs that offer pre-match positions?

Invitations
Yale 7/18***, 7/18*
UT Southwestern 7/20***
BIDMC 7/20*

Rejections

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

nterview Invitations/Rejections

Invitations
Yale 7/18***, 7/18*
MD Anderson 7/19***
UT Southwestern 7/20***
BIDMC 7/20*

Rejections

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

Invitations
Yale 7/18***, 7/18*
MD Anderson 7/19***
UT Southwestern 7/20***
BIDMC 7/20*

Rejections
Medical College of Georgia: 7/23

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

Invitations
Yale 7/18***, 7/18*
MD Anderson 7/19***
UT Southwestern 7/20***
BIDMC 7/20*
VCU 7/23***

Rejections
Medical College of Georgia: 7/23

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

I got a not-right-now-but-we'll-keep-your-name-on-file from MCG, which I'm assuming is as good as a rejection. Did they also outright rejections as well?

Invitations
Yale 7/18***, 7/18*
MD Anderson 7/19***
UT Southwestern 7/20***
BIDMC 7/20*
VCU 7/23***

Rejections
Medical College of Georgia: 7/23**

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

I got a not-right-now-but-we'll-keep-your-name-on-file from MCG, which I'm assuming is as good as a rejection. Did they also outright rejections as well?

Yep I got an outright rejection, I think

we could not offer you an opportunity to interview with us at this time.

However, we will keep your name and information on file, and in the event that we do not meet our interview quota for this season, we will contact you about your willingness to interview then. In the interim, we would highly encourage you to continue to pursue other opportunities that become available

Last edited:

Invitations
Yale 7/18***, 7/18*
MD Anderson 7/19***
UT Southwestern 7/20***
BIDMC 7/20*
VCU 7/23*** (#3 today)

Rejections

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

2nd rejection, medical college of Georgia

Invitations
Yale 7/18***, 7/18*
MD Anderson 7/19***
UT Southwestern 7/20***
BIDMC 7/20*
VCU 7/23***
Medical College of Georgia 7/23*

Rejections

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa