Official 2018-2019 Psychiatry Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funtertaining15

Average Wizard
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Since a thread for this cycle hasn't been created yet, I figured I take the initiative and make one.
Current and future doctors/residents all welcome!
Post anything you think may be helpful.
I know it's gotten more competitive but let's do our best.
I'm sure the interview threads will be made eventually, but until then, good luck to everyone.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a DO applicant with above avg COMLEX and no USMLE, I second this question!
What’s a good way to determine how many programs to apply to?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

These are good questions. I can't speak for everyone, but if you look at http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/NRMP-2018-Program-Director-Survey-for-WWW.pdf from the last cycle, it might give an idea on where you fall in terms of PDs inviting and ranking applicants. This should help if you're an DO, IMG, etc., too. 2017 graduates applied to 29-40 schools on average for US grads. Think it was 60-74 for individual applicants, so I guess DO, IMG, etc. If I remember, I believe the associate dean or someone told me the average was 44 last cycle... I could be wrong.
Also, I consider expenses, where I want to live for at least 4 years, etc.
Hopefully some can offer advice on this.
As for me, 40 and no more. Would've done 30 if I were applying 3 years ago.
Also if you have a dean or someone at your school who is helping coordinating 4th year residency applications, they should be able to see if they number you chose is good, based off a general number from your step scores. Or if they know you a bit better and are familiar with previous applicants, they may help if you're worried about how many to apply to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As a DO, I would suggest upwards of 50 to 60 programs with a diverse array of safety, good shot, competitive for your application, and reach programs.

Sorry to say if there is no DO on the roster, you're likely not going to get an interview no matter your scores. I speak from personal experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Last edited:
Hey all,

Reapplicant this time around after getting burned for a couple reasons (applied to two unrelated specialties at the same institutions along with a possible mix-up in letters). I'm in the midst of an intern year and I'm looking for a couple pieces of advice:

- As a reapplicant, can I afford to apply to a relatively small number of programs (20-30ish) since I will have a reduced amount of dedicated interview time?
- Do I have a chance at competitive institutions? Steps are 257/265/pass and I have not had a gap in training due to my intern year, but I am still reapplying after not matching so...
- What are some good "biologic" focused institutions other than the commonly discussed ones (Hopkins, Duke, UPMC, etc).

Thanks!

How are we supposed to know what "safety" and "reaches" are?

I'm a DO, great letters, step 1/2 >240, interesting background and psych ECs. Feel like I'm a good candidate overall. I realize being a DO means automatic NO from a lot of high tier places...but if a place takes DOs what is considered a reach? Are community programs considered safeties?

I've got about 80 programs saved on ERAS, but have no idea if that's too many.

I'm a DO, great letters, step 1/2 >240, interesting background and psych ECs. Feel like I'm a good candidate overall. I realize being a DO means automatic NO from a lot of high tier places...but if a place takes DOs what is considered a reach? Are community programs considered safeties?

Even the 'safeties' and 'reaches' don't know what they are right now.

Sounds like a good profile. Concentrate on the region you're most interested in.

I'd consider the DO reach (removing any residency that has never taken a DO or is moving their class to MD only over the last few years) to be the facility that has only a handful of DOs on an already competitive-looking roster (i.e. school pedigree). It's definitely not as cut and dry with university vs. community. There are definitely community programs out there that I heavily preferred over university because of resource and fit. Location has a strong bearing on "competitiveness" regardless of quality (NYC for instance).

Last edited:
US-IMG, ECFMG Certified, 230+/250+/Pass/2017 Grad; evidence of commitment to the specialty with research and extracurriculars.
I'm applying to ~130-135 programs in 31 different states. Wish me luck lol. It's been tough figuring out which programs to drop, as I want to increase my chances as much as possible. Unfortunately for me, programs who had mostly IMGs 3-4 years ago are now consistently being filled with 100% US-Seniors. It seems that there is also a regional bias for many programs, which might be tough to overcome. Good luck everyone.

US-IMG, ECFMG Certified, 230+/250+/Pass/2017 Grad; evidence of commitment to the specialty with research and extracurriculars.
I'm applying to ~130-135 programs in 31 different states. Wish me luck lol. It's been tough figuring out which programs to drop, as I want to increase my chances as much as possible. Unfortunately for me, programs who had mostly IMGs 3-4 years ago are now consistently being filled with 100% US-Seniors. It seems that there is also a regional bias for many programs, which might be tough to overcome. Good luck everyone.
Good luck!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile

Good luck everyone!!! I hope you all match well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't believe it's already this time again, feels like just yesterday I was finishing my ERAS and now I'm on night float surreptitiously checking SDN. Good luck with everything folks!

Reactions: 8 users
Can't believe it's already this time again, feels like just yesterday I was finishing my ERAS and now I'm on night float surreptitiously checking SDN. Good luck with everything folks!
Hey, great to see you @Evidence Based Hope residency treats you well :)

Hey, great to see you @Evidence Based Hope residency treats you well :)

You too! Being a doctor is pretty cool tbh.
Note to future applicants: residency is hard, but sometimes you have quiet nights where you're matching Netflix and checking SDN so it's not all bad.

Reactions: 6 users
Note to future applicants: residency is hard, but sometimes you have quiet nights where you're matching Netflix and checking SDN so it's not all bad.
I second this with one correction: as long as you're in a residency that's a good fit for you and has a collegial and supportive culture, even the busiest nights are enjoyable and rewarding.

Residency has been relatively relaxed for me. :) I feel like I'm learning a lot, but not being worked to death to do it. I'm glad I ended up where I did. Future applicants, when you interview consider asking residents how their work life stacks up against what they expected coming in. Mine is "easier" than I expected.

But agree, being a doctor is the coolest thing ever. We have the best job in the world.

Ill echo the above post. If you've got a chilled out group of co-residents who are cool people + attendings who don't take themselves too seriously, working those long nights can actually be fun. It's all about the program and how it suits you personally.

Reactions: 4 users
I second this with one correction: as long as you're in a residency that's a good fit for you and has a collegial and supportive culture, even the busiest nights are enjoyable and rewarding.

Residency has been relatively relaxed for me. :) I feel like I'm learning a lot, but not being worked to death to do it. I'm glad I ended up where I did. Future applicants, when you interview consider asking residents how their work life stacks up against what they expected coming in. Mine is "easier" than I expected.

But agree, being a doctor is the coolest thing ever. We have the best job in the world.

Love this! Completely agree with y'all. My program has been a great fit, but so has the institution as whole. Culture and relationships with other departments is something that's hard to assess during your interview day, but would definitely be worth asking about. I ended up somewhere that also has a great culture in internal medicine, so I've felt really well supported even working 70-80 hours a week on medicine or staying up all night in the ICU. All the departments I've worked in so far view psychosocial issues as important (even if begrudgingly so), so even my non-psych rotations feel slightly less "off-service" than they otherwise would.

Another intern dropping in to say good luck to all the future applicants! There have been a few really bad days, but overall it's been great and I'm also loving residency so far.

I think @Lunzio gave a good summary of what qualifies as a "reach" for DOs.

As for the "safety" side of it...

Obviously any formerly AOA programs (check the websites for programs that are 100% DO). Programs that have a lower % of USMDs on the roster is another sign that they'll consider you more heavily, especially if they have a high % of DOs. New programs are generally "safety" programs as well. There were a couple of programs I applied to that either had no residents yet or only had 1-2 classes. I interviewed at one of them and it actually ended up being #2 on my rank list (fantastic facilities and benefits for residents, community program that felt very geared towards teaching and pretty strong faculty, ended up far surpassing my expectations going in). I also looked for programs that had specifically taken students from my medical school, if I could contact those students to ask for advice I did. The other thing that helps with safety is geographical region. Only 2 of my interviews were from outside of my school's l region and some of the ii's that I did get nearby were not ones I was expecting (seemed like reaches to me).

Caveat to the" low USMD %" is if a program ONLY take IMGs. There are 1 or 2 programs I saw where 95% of their residents were from the same Caribbean school, which meant I didn't bother applying. Another red flag is if there is no "current residents" tab on their website.

Editted to include MDs: most of the same "safety" things apply, but I feel the biggest things to look for are programs within your region. Especially those which have taken several people from your medical school in the past.

Last edited:
Is there like an excel sheet for psych for people applying this year ?

Applying this cycle!

US MD in a northeast med school applying to 20-30 academic programs. 24x Step 1, 25x Step 2, taking CS soon. Honors in 2 clerkships including psych. Psych and IM research. 2 Psych letters, 1 IM letter. Hoping to end up in a big city near the ocean!

Anyone applying for the AOA NMS match as well as NRMP, it looks like there are only a handful of programs participating in it this year.

Anyone applying for the AOA NMS match as well as NRMP, it looks like there are only a handful of programs participating in it this year.
yep...no interviews though. it was probably a waste of my time

Applying this cycle!

US MD in a northeast med school applying to 20-30 academic programs. 24x Step 1, 25x Step 2, taking CS soon. Honors in 2 clerkships including psych. Psych and IM research. 2 Psych letters, 1 IM letter. Hoping to end up in a big city near the ocean!

As long as you have a demonstrated interest in psych (which it seems like you do), seems like you're in the top 5-10% of psych applicants. You should get interviews at most of the programs you apply to, and shouldn't have any trouble ending up in a coastal city if that's what you want! 30 programs is almost certainly overkill for you.

FWIW I had a very similar application to you (lower Step 1, better Step 2, Northeast med school, middle of the pack clerkship grades, demonstrated psych interest), got interviews at most of the "big-name" Northeast academic programs, and matched at my #1.

As long as you have a demonstrated interest in psych (which it seems like you do), seems like you're in the top 5-10% of psych applicants. You should get interviews at most of the programs you apply to, and shouldn't have any trouble ending up in a coastal city if that's what you want! 30 programs is almost certainly overkill for you.

FWIW I had a very similar application to you (lower Step 1, better Step 2, Northeast med school, middle of the pack clerkship grades, demonstrated psych interest), got interviews at most of the "big-name" Northeast academic programs, and matched at my #1.

That’s very reassuring to hear in the 3 days leading to ERAS submission. Thanks bud! Maybe I’ll see you in the coming months!

Hey all! New to the thread. Just curious if anyone has come across any psych residency application requirements that deviate from the standard (3 LORS, ERAS app, board scores, mpse, transcript, and PS). I have yet to find any but I'm told they exist.

Hey all! New to the thread. Just curious if anyone has come across any psych residency application requirements that deviate from the standard (3 LORS, ERAS app, board scores, mpse, transcript, and PS). I have yet to find any but I'm told they exist.

- Stanford requires 4 clinical letters of recommendation and they can only be from IM, surgery, pediatrics or psych.

- UNC Chapel Hill requires emailed copies of all published journal articles and abstracts.

- Stanford requires 4 clinical letters of recommendation and they can only be from IM, surgery, pediatrics or psych.

- UNC Chapel Hill requires emailed copies of all published journal articles and abstracts.
UNC's website says that but last year they didn't actually seem to care. They definitely interviewed me without that and I'm assuming ranked me given post interview communication.

Anyone did already submit ERAS? I just did. Good luck to you all!

Anyone did already submit ERAS? I just did. Good luck to you all!
tumblr_inline_mtx8rx9wHl1s8athv.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to share the 2018-2019 psych application spreadsheet:

goo.gl/E4bzRV

Last edited:
Applied. Fingers crossed. Hoping this year is better than last.

Good luck everyone!

I would second the comments about residency. There are certainly some downsides, but residency >>>>>>>>> medical school in my opinion. Not everything has been great, but I absolutely love the work. You're in for an interesting and fun ride!

Wow! How does this compare to last year?

Fairly similar, as I recall. I'm predicting the plateau will be a bit lower, though. Hoping that a lot of those who have applied psych because it was seen as easy to match into in the past will have gotten the word that they're wasting their time (and mine!)

Only 2 of my interviews were from outside of my school's l region

Is there any good advice for people who have had a geographically uniform childhood, undergrad and medical school experience but are wanting to try a new location out for residency? I've heard that doing away rotations can be useful, but I question the believability of saying that my away rotation in Philadelphia shows my interest in living in New York, for example. It seems like an away rotation could explain an interest in staying at that program, or maybe the same city, but not really the geographic region.

Anyone else notice there submission date change after adding the NRMP number on ERAS?

Is there any good advice for people who have had a geographically uniform childhood, undergrad and medical school experience but are wanting to try a new location out for residency? I've heard that doing away rotations can be useful, but I question the believability of saying that my away rotation in Philadelphia shows my interest in living in New York, for example. It seems like an away rotation could explain an interest in staying at that program, or maybe the same city, but not really the geographic region.

Away rotations ideally at the institution(s) you’re interested in matching to and perhaps a brief (4-5 sentence) e-mail to the PD to let them know that you’re interested.

At many programs you will likely be screened out, though, even with these steps; sadly that’s just something you’ll have to deal with.

List of SDN reported dates of interview invites during the 2017-2018 psych cycle:

Alabama:
U. Alabama - (9/15), (9/27), (9/27)
U. South Alabama - (9/15)

Arizona:
U A Tucson - (10/5), (10/6)
U A Phx- (10/9)
Maricopa - (10/16)

Arkansas:

California:
Loma Linda - (9/16), (9/16), (9/17), (9/19)
Harbor-UCLA - (9/20), (9/20), (9/20), (9/21)
UCSD - (9/22), (9/22), (9/29), (9/29)
UCI - (9/25), (9/25), (10/4)
UCSF - (10/05), (10/18)
ARMC- (9/26)
Stanford - (10/02), (10/2), (10/12)
UCDavis - (10/5), (10/5), (10/09)
UCSF-Fresno - (10/5), (10/20)
USC - (10/5), (10/15), (10/16), (10/17)
UC Riverside - (10/2), (10/2)
UCLA SFV - (10/6), (10/6), (10/6)
CPMC San Francisco - (10/10)
San Mateo County - (10/11)
UCLA-Semel - (10/20)
Kaiser Fontana - (10/10), (10/10)

Colorado:
U. Colorado - (9/20)

Connecticut:
University of Connecticut- (9/22)
Institute of Living/Hartford Hospital- (9/22) (10/13)
Yale - (10/5), (10/6) (10/6) (10/23), (10/30)

Florida:
USF - (9/27)
UF - (9/29), (9/29), (9/29)
UCF - (9/20)
U. Miami (Jackson Mem) - (10/5)

Georgia:
Coliseum- (10/12)
Emory- (9/16), (9/21), (9/23), (9/21), (10/19)
Morehouse- (9/27)
MCG - (9/20)

Hawaii:
University of Hawaii - (9/29), (10/4)

Illinois:
Northwestern - (9/18), (9/18), (9/28), (9/29), (10/2)
Lutheran General - (9/19), (9/21), (9/28)
Loyola - (9/20), (9/21), (9/29), (9/25)
University of Illinois (Chicago) - (9/28), (9/28), (9/28), (9/29), (9/28)
University of Illinois (Peoria) - (9/22)
University of Chicago - (9/25), (9/25), (10/20), (10/9)

Indiana:
Indiana University - (9/15), (9/18), (9/19), (9/20), (9/20), (9/20), (9/21), (9/22), (9/22), (9/29)
Community Health Network- (9/19), (9/18) (9/19)

Iowa:
Iowa MEC Program- (9/22)
University of Iowa- (9/21), (9/21), (10/18), (10/18)

Kansas:
KU-Kansas City- (9/22), (9/22), (9/22)

Kentucky:
Louisville - (9/15), (9/15), (9/15), (9/25)
UK- (10/20)

Louisiana:
LSU Baton Rouge- (9/20), (9/25), (9/26)
LSU-Shreveport- (9/26), (9/27)
Tulane University- (9/26)
LSU NOLA - (10/2) (10/6)

Maine:

Maryland:
Johns Hopkins- (9/15), (9/15), (9/15), (9/19), (9/15)
UMD/Sheppard Pratt- (9/25), (9/25), (10/2), (10/10)

Massachusetts:
UMass - (9/21), (9/21), (9/21), (10/3)
BIDMC - (9/21), (9/22), (9/22), (9/22), (9/22)
Brigham - (9/25), (9/25), (9/25), (10/2), (10/2), (10/6), (10/6), (10/10)
Cambridge Health Alliance- (09/27), (9/27), (9/27), (10/2)
Tufts- (9/26), (9/26), (9/26), (10/5), (9/26)
MGH/McLean - (9/29), (10/2), (10/5), (10/5)
St Elizabeth's- (10/6)
BUMC- (10/9)
Harvard South Shore- (10/12)

Michigan:
Henry Ford / Wayne State - (10/2)
Michigan State University - (9/18), (9/18), (9/18)
University of Michigan - (10/1), (10/1), (10/3), (10/16)
Western Michigan - (9/21), (9/25)
Wayne State/DMC - (9/21)

Minnesota:
HCMC - (9/29), (9/29), (9/29), (9/29)
University of Minnesota - (10/6)
Mayo Clinic - (10/16)

Missouri:
UMKC (Missouri- Kansas City)- (10/6)
Missouri (Columbia)- (9/20)
SLU- (9/18), (9/20), (9/20)
Washington University - (9/20), (9/20), (9/22), (9/22), (9/25)

Nebraska:
Creighton University- (9/20), (9/22)

Nevada:

New Hampshire:
Dartmouth - (9/25), (9/25), (9/26), (9/26), (9/26), (9/26)

New Jersey:
Rutgers NJMS - (9/19)

New Mexico:
University of New Mexico - (10/2), (10/2)

New York:
New York University - (9/28) (9/28)
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai - (10/3), (10/19), (10/27)
Mt. Sinai Beth Israel - (10/5), (10/5)
Mt. Sinai St. Lukes - (10/11)
Stony Brook SOM - (9/22)
Albert Einstein - (9/26), (9/29)
SUNY Downstate - (09/27)
NYP-Cornell/Payne Whitney Clinic: (10/02) (10/4) (10/6) (10/6), (10/10)
NYP-Columbia - (10/12),(10/19), (10/19)
NYMC/WMC - (10/3)
University of Rochester -- (10/9)
Hofstra/Northwell/Zucker Hillside -- (10/11), (10/11)

North Carolina:
Carolinas- (9/18), (10/11)
Wake Forest- (9/21), (9/21)
MAHEC Asheville- (9/19)
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - (9/22), (9/22), (9/22), (09/22), (9/22), (9/26), (9/26), (10/02) (10/02), (10/5), (10/5)
Vidant/East Carolina- (9/26), (10/2) (10/3)
Duke - (10/3), (10/21)

North Dakota:

Ohio:
Cleveland Clinic- (9/18), (9/18), (9/18), (9/20), (9/28)
Ohio State - (9/20), (9/22) (9/25)
SUMMA (Akron)- (10/3)
University of Cincinnati - (9/22), (10/10), (10/19)
University Hospitals CMC/CWRU - (9/21), (9/25),(9/28), (9/27), (9/29), (10/6)
Wright State - (9/26)

Oklahoma:
OU-HSC- (9/21), (9/22)

Oregon:
OHSU- (10/11/17), (10/11)

Pennsylvania:
UPenn - (10/13), (10/13), (10/13), (10/13)
Drexel - (10/2)
Geisinger - (9/20)
Temple - (9/20), (9/20)
The Wright Center - (9/21)
Thomas Jefferson - (9/29)
UPMC - (10/5), (10/9), (10/20), (10/20)

Rhode Island:
Brown- (10/3), (10/9), (10/10), (10/10), (10/10), (10/10), (10/31)

South Carolina:
USC Palmetto - (9/25),?(10/3)
USC Greenville - (10/6)
MUSC- (10/9), (10/19)

South Dakota:
Sanford- (9/19)

Tennessee:
Vanderbilt - (9/19), (9/20), (9/20), (9/20),(10/5), (10/10)

Texas:
UTSW- (9/15), (9/15), (9/19), (9/21),?(10/3)
UTSA (9/18), (9/18), (9/18), (9/18)
UT Tyler- (9/19), (9/15), (9/27)
UTMB- (9/20), (9/25), (10/18)
JPS - (9/21), (9/21), (11/20)
Baylor - (9/29)
UT Austin - (10/5), (10/5), (10/6)
UT Houston - (10/20)
TTU Lubbock - (9/27)

Utah:
University of Utah - (9/19), (9/20)

Vermont: (9/26), (9/29)

Virginia:
Carilion Clinic Virginia Tech - (9/21), (9/21)
VCU- (9/18), (10/2)
EVMS- (9/20)
UVA- (10/2), (10/5), (10/5), (10/6)

West Virginia:
WVU- (9/19)

Washington:
University of Washington - (9/25), (10/02)

Washington DC:

Wisconsin:
Medical College of Wisconsin (MKE) - (9/27), (10/7)

How much do programs initially filter by region/do they look at board scores first?

I am a USMD at a Big 10 Midwestern medical school. Step 1: 24x, Step 2: 26x, Pass on CS. No gaps in my training, good letters. I honored Psych, IM, Peds, Sub-I, and most of my advanced electives so far. I applied to some of the big name schools on Saturday b/c my advisor said I was competitive, and didn't focus much on the Midwest because I'd really like to leave (I've been here my whole life). How much will my application be filtered out simply based on region? That worries me a little.