USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As 2018 approaches and people are starting to rev up for their CK studying I figured I would start the 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread.

As always please follow all of the forum / NBME / USMLE etc.. rules and regulations when posting.

My dedicated starts tomorrow, have about 6 weeks to study over the holidays. Hoping for a 250 +, scored a 26x on step 1.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I have similar stats as you and a month after NBME 7 I took 8 but my score increased by 21 points. So I would recommend taking that in a couple weeks or UW1 to see where you really stand.

Wow 21 points! I'd take half of that right now tbh. I'll be taking UW1 in a few days hopefully I'll do better on that. How did you do on the UWSAs?

I say youre in a good spot right now so it is hard for us to judge before you take at least 3 practice exams. Keep going, knock out UW and take another practice exam. If its still a stagnant score, then do some OME and take another one, then come back! Good luck!

Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it.
I'm planning to finish UW in the next two weeks then take another NBME and see from there.
I really dont want to post pone my exam - I just want to get it all over with. LOL

Any idea on when is the latest you should take CK in order to get your scores in time for start of applications in Sept?
I'm a bit unsure since they are having the Delay in Reporting from June-Aug.

I'm also concerned because I'll need a little leeway time in order to get ECFMG certified which I heard just takes a few days after all your scores are in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow 21 points! I'd take half of that right now tbh. I'll be taking UW1 in a few days hopefully I'll do better on that. How did you do on the UWSAs?
NBME 8 was a 245, UW1 was 257. The tests were a week apart. Prolly going to take UW2 this upcoming weekend.

Honestly just really hammered at my weak spots. Prior to UW1 I finished uworld for a second time. NBME 7 tends to under predict by a lot, so I was expecting a jump.

I thought i’d done uworld thoroughly but ended up getting a 230 on nbme 6. Exam in 4 weeks and I don’t know what else to do

Hey guys! I'm sorry to be that person, but could any of you share your opinion on what an approximate three-digit score for 169/184 (91.8%) correct would translate for a 3 digit score for NBME 6? Thanks!

Hey guys! I'm sorry to be that person, but could any of you share your opinion on what an approximate three-digit score for 169/184 (91.8%) correct would translate for a 3 digit score for NBME 6? Thanks!

I had 21 wrong for a 254. I would say probably low 260s

Reactions: 1 user
I had the same percentage on NBME 6 and it came out as 258

So i suppose no one is going to receive their scores tomorrow. We got one more week of torture folks!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Measurement of Pb levels?

I

I think I remember that question from UW. The homemade whiskey is being brewed in a pot that is giving him lead poisoning. So A measuring serum lead levels is the answer they’re looking for.

The still he used is the source of chronic Pb poisoning.
Pb inhibits ALA synthase (I think) and porphphobilinogen synthesis will be inhibited.
Ruling out AIP.

Can someone please help me with this question? Been reading different responses to it!
What's this from? I searched UW and couldn't find it but couldn't find it in any of the NBME missed questions that I have. I would've picked the lead level.

Last edited:
What's this from? I searched UW and couldn't find it but couldn't find it in any of the NBME missed questions that I have. I would've picked the lead level.

I am fairly certain I remember this question being in the UW question bank. I remember missing it the first time, then almost missing it the second time but remembering what they wanted. Does that mean I truly learned anything? We'll never know LOL.

Pretty sure that q is from NBME 6. Answer is check lead level.
Also, if it is an NBME q, it's copyrighted, so you may want to delete it.

I do, but I just made flash cards from my wrong uworld/nbme questions throughout the year. Haven't tried any pre-made decks.
Cj_cregg, what do you use to make flash cards? I am new to the flash card business, but I want to make my own, any recommend? Is there one that let me add pics from Uworld? thx

I did the NBME subject exams during clerkships and made flash cards from those. Now as I'm prepping for Step 2 I'm doing the full length and making cards from those too. It's been really helpful for me - I performed way better on shelf exams/step 2 (based on practice tests so far) than I did on preclinical exams/step 1.

I use Anki. There are lots of useful threads on SDN about how to best use Anki during medical school if you search for them. You can copy and paste pictures onto Anki cards, and use an image occlusion add-on to block out labels and stuff.

Some people also use quizlet, which I'm not super familiar with.

Thanks for the info! I know this might be a loaded question but what did you do for the shelves? Did you treat them separately from your Uworld during the clerkship?

What's up guys. So I just took my one and only NBME (8) today and kind of baffled at the moment. I'll start with stats.

1st pass UWorld: 65%
2nd pass UWorld (~50% done): 82%
UWorld Self Assessment 1: 252
UWorld Self Assessment 2: 247
NBME 8: 226...

So yeah... my test is in 9 days. I'm not really freaking out. Just thinking what the heck went wrong and wanted to see if anyone had something similar. Thanks!

What's up guys. So I just took my one and only NBME (8) today and kind of baffled at the moment. I'll start with stats.

1st pass UWorld: 65%
2nd pass UWorld (~50% done): 82%
UWorld Self Assessment 1: 252
UWorld Self Assessment 2: 247
NBME 8: 226...

So yeah... my test is in 9 days. I'm not really freaking out. Just thinking what the heck went wrong and wanted to see if anyone had something similar. Thanks!

Everyone's experience is different with step and thats unfortunately the truth. Some have their NBMEs most similar to CK and some have UWSAs more similar to CK so i say it would really depend on how comfortable you feel with the material and if there are some areas you feel you need to improve. Once you improve, just take the free 120 and go for the exam because at some point, you will be stagnant and then your assessments wont hold any weight because the most important ones, you would have taken it too long ago

What NBME is recommended for Step 2 CK?

I'm having so much anxiety... haven't taken any assessments and date of exam is in a month :( Now beating myself about it. I've started studying mid March 2018.

Getting 70-80s in my second round of UW. I sporadically did OME and read a few chapters of Step Up 2 Medicine prior to starting Uworld but figured Uworld was the best way to learn.

I'm keeping the biostats all together -- I want to keep it fresh. I had so much difficulty when I started Step 1 but did the Uworld Biostat Qbank then to guide me.

Any advice?

I'm so worried about not being on time... :(:(:(

IMG here. Step 1 244 (studied for 5-6mos), Passed CS already. Did both last year. Graduated last year too.

When did you take?

Anyone from 6/19 disappear?

6/22 taker here and my permit is still there. Based on last year's thread, last two weeks of June are offset by 1 week due to no scores being released on the week of 7/4. I think our scores will come out on 7/18 :(

I took Step 2 CK on 7/5; I can't stop thinking about how many questions I know I missed. I did not have the same level of focus as I did Step 1, and I'm worried I absolutely bombed it. My whole mindset was thrown off. When should I expect my score?

I took Step 2 CK on 7/5; I can't stop thinking about how many questions I know I missed. I did not have the same level of focus as I did Step 1, and I'm worried I absolutely bombed it. My whole mindset was thrown off. When should I expect my score?

You should expect it 7/26

Hey guys I took my test a couple days back and it was incredibly tough. My nbme and uwsa averages were in the 240s but the exam was just impossible and I already know of around 25 I've missed. I can't stop worrying now, any advice?
Just try to relax and wait. Be happy you’re done with it. Would you say your exam was comparable to NBME or was it more like uworld?

anyone know if the permit disappearing means we passed or just that the scores will come out this week?

to those who have taken their tests already, what study books/videos (besides uworld) do you recommend?

Hey guys I took my test a couple days back and it was incredibly tough. My nbme and uwsa averages were in the 240s but the exam was just impossible and I already know of around 25 I've missed. I can't stop worrying now, any advice?

No advice, but I took it Friday and also thought it was awful. It was definitely the hardest test I’ve ever taken, much more difficult than any of the practice tests. I’ve also been worrying nonstop!

hey guys just wanted to share to calm some nerves for those who are waiting!

Step 1: 255 (6 weeks dedicated)

Step 2 prep-
-Wrapped up IM, gave myself a week to finish 300 remaining UWorld medicine questions (had completed all q except peds), and then reset. Did 1800/2400 Q as a second pass, scoring ~85%.
-Watched all of OME
-Tried to read MTB and stopped after the peds/ob section
-Ultimately gave myself 5 weeks of dedicated with me doing research 2.5 days a week

NBME 7 (4 weeks to test day): 273
UWSA 1 (2 weeks to test day): 272

Real deal: 270

During exam: Hit a section that slaughtered me and had like 10 marked in a row. I mark ones where I'm less than 50% sure. Hit another section right after that which felt horrible too. Did feel a lot less anxious during test day as compared to step 1 but did have some moments (some guy typing like a madmen directly behind me). Finished a majority of sections with 5-15 minutes left but used up every last second on 2-3. Was able to read all questions and answers in entirety.

Post test feels: Felt really ambivalent initially. As I started to remember questions, I started to feel horrible. Counted at least 10 mistakes and could honestly remember maybe 40 questions max. Felt like I blocked out everything else. Really long 2.5 weeks. I historically do much better on practice tests than I do on the real deal, so I am so ridiculously happy and surprised with my score. Like everyone says, trust your practice test scores. You'll feel like crap but it'll be fine.

Did you do your first pass of UW subject wise and the second one on random/mixed mode?

Can someone please explain how the CMS forms correlate to the exam and what's a good score on those forms?

All my CMS (forms 3 and 4) have been in the range of 20-23 (assessment score) which is 78-84 for the subject score.
But what I'm struggling to understand is that a good or bad score?