USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

Discussion in 'Step II' started by Qester, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Dr. HWS

Medical Student
    June 20 here and nothing yet. Is your permit still there?

2. Stepbystep86

I wrote on June18. No scores today. I think we will get them next week. My guess is they released scores till June 15th today.

3. salmonsalmon

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Unfortunately

4. gapyearguppy

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Congrats on the huge jump up from Step 1!!

But this makes me slightly nervous as your nbme scores are excellent and your UWSAs are near my goal. I thought they were supposed to be predictive.

5. markymark71990

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Step 1: 244

UWSA 1: 250
    UWSA 2: 247
    Took two NBMEs, 247 and 245.

Step 2 CK score: 247

Practice tests were very predictive

GI Guy, Lostinmedicine2020 and APA 32 like this.
  6. goberdoc1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Congrats!! I am in a similar situation where I need to improve from my step 1 score. What did you do to prepare and how did you improve so much. Partly for me is that I’m a really bad test taker. I appreciate your feedback how to improve.

7. rddn_jk

2+ Year Member

When did you take the practice tests?

8. readingrl

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Complete opposite of the Step 1 experience where I scored much lower than my last few practice tests!
    Step 1: 216
    Step 2 CK: 254
    NBME 7 (2ish weeks out): ~220
    NBME8 (2ish weeks out): ~220
    UWSA1 (1 week out): 253
    Free 120 (1 week out): 82%
    UWSA2 (4 days out): 249

The UWorld exams were obviously much more predictive than the NBMEs. I am so happy with my score.

9. Virgo32

Congratulations. this makes me worried about my score report. I had barely passing score on assessment and I took the real exam. Was your exam so hard? what do you think why your score dropped than your assessment?

10. Virgo32

wow!! Congratulations. was exam hard or like UW? how you felt after an exam?

11. Rodeo clown

My scores are freakishly similar. I take my exam in 2 weeks. Any idea why the huge difference between UWSA and NBME score? CONGRATS on your crazy score jump from step 1 !!!

Lostinmedicine2020 likes this.
  12. mikemedman19

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!! What was your study plan?

You are my only hope readingrl... take my Step 2 Friday and my scores are almost identical to yours... please oh please let me get a score around you

13. markymark71990

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I only studied for about 3 weeks, so i spread them out over that time. Took the NBMEs first, then USWA

14. NK9

NK9

Took it June 18th but didn't get my score today. Is it safe to assume it'll be released next week?

15. CCmedic3

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Most likely. Seems like people up to around June 15th have received their scores

NK9 likes this.
  16. thisisme123

Hey! First time poster, long time lurker. Read this thread almost every day and really gave me peace of mind during my preparation so thought I would give back- might be able to help someone!
    IMG- average smarts but worked hard in med school so scored pretty well in exams!
    Step 1 237

-Oct-NBME 4 (baseline)- 196
    Went through all of uworld as a first pass- 56%. Made notes from UWorld but didn't actually go through them.
    Took some time off for CS.
    Mar- NBME 6-207 (panicked because I thought I had been studying well but apparently not)
    Read my uworld notes (really helped me figure out up from down) and started incorrects. Went through them pretty thoroughly
    Reset qbank
    Early May- UWSA1- 241
    Continued uworld and also did CMS. At some point went through some of Master the Boards but did not find it helpful so stopped.
    Late May-NBME 7- 233 (wasn't too phased as I knew that this was known to under predict)
    Continued uworld now averaging 78% which continued until the end of my 2nd pass. Made sure i really understood everything and was learning. Sometimes would spend an hour on a topic even reading from uptodate just to figure it out (I think this really helped). Considered pushing my exam but felt that it wasn't worth it as I didn't want to get burnt out.
    1 week before exam- NBME 8 239 and UWSA 2 256
    Reviewed my incorrects, flashcards, stats and formulas, FA rapid review.
    Free 120-89% 3 days out
    Continue reviewing small things here and there.

Took exam. Had no problem with time. Was done 10-15 mins early each block and then went over my marked questions. Had 6-10 marked in each block. Was able to narrow down everything to almost 2 answers and then was either able to pick a clear answer, mull over both and pick what I thought was better and for very few questions -I guessed. Felt that it was similar to UWORLD but still required an extra level of thinking. Did have a few odd questions from step 1.

Still came out of the exam very unsure despite not feeling awful! I really felt that it could swing either way.

Final result 259 thanks to God!

Trust your practice tests and work on your weaknesses and a lot of it is about how you study and tackle questions rather than what you know!
    Hope this is clear and helps some of you out there! I'd love to help out if anyone has any questions :)

17. ILoveBasketbll24

2+ Year Member

Waddap,

On and off lurker recent poster. Just wanted to share some of my information for people like me who compulsively check these boards whenever scores are coming out and you're taking standardized tests. Hopefully my experience can offer some solace and insight into the testing process for people getting ready to jump on board.

Background, my Step 1 scores were grossly over predicted by my practice tests. I got over 230 on my UWSA for Step 1 and felt decently coming out of the exam only to hit a freaking 214 on Step 1. During M3 I consistently performed above or at average on shelves and I turned in a strong overall performance using mostly UWorld to study with some various supplements in different blocks. But after having a bad day on Step 1 I was extremely weary of feeling comfortable during my Step 2 study block.

The exam itself on 06/15 is a beast that is impossible to describe/understand until you take it. I was mentally exhausted by Block 3 and by Block 8 I was just trying my best to reason through the correct answers. Extremely vague questions and lots of esoteric questions that could shake you up. I felt decent coming out but after the test the floodgate of horrible questions I remembered open and I high key missed at least 20 questions that I remembered and looked up. I felt horrible and I was convinced that I had failed. That's when I came back on SDN for the first time since med school apps to try to find some solace. Just got my score today:

Step 1:214
    UW 1st Pass (During Clerkships): 68%
    UW 2nd Pass (During 3 Week Study Block Done Tutor and Timed): 78%/82nd Percentile
    UWSA1: 255
    NBME 8: 244
    Step 2 CK: 246

I'm disappointed with my score even because it is almost 10 points lower than my UWSA and I have been performing better percentile wise during M3. That being said I count myself fortunate that I was able to improve as much as I did and that I didn't fail after what felt like a horrible day. Long story short, trust the process and trust your prep. You have this and if you feel like you prepared well you are probably fine.

Good Luck SDN Fam!

Lostinmedicine2020 and mj2323 like this.
  18. Trek92

Medical Student
    Hey everyone, I was a lurker on this thread for quite some time to alleviate my fears about poorer NBME practice scores and correlation to an actual score. I took the test June 15th and got my score back today. Used 6 weeks dedicated study time. Was just above average on most of the shelf exams.
    Step 1: 247
    NBME 6 (6 weeks out, baseline): 218
    UWSA 1 (4 weeks out): 247
    NBME 8 (10 days out): 226, rocked my confidence for a day or two but I recovered.
    UWSA 2 (5 days out): 252
    Actual Step 2 CK: 256

I think this supports the theory that the Uworld assessments are more accurate for step 2, however I think if you’re crushing your NBMEs you’re headed for an even higher score.

19. NGTY1991

Hey thanks everybody! It’s really nice to see people appreciating such a mediocre score when others are scoring so well, nonetheless there’s nothing I would have done differently and am happy with whatever I got.

The reason my score dropped I would say is mainly due to test anxiety. I had scary moments of my brain telling me I’ll fail so I probably had psyched myself out. If you guys are confident then please trust your assessment scores! I know my stuff but sometimes things are the way they are.

Good luck everyone!

gapyearguppy and drwatson1575 like this.
  20. KVBane

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    US DO Student:
    Step 1: 237

5/12/2018 - NBME 6 - 252
    5/24/2018 - NBME 7 - 222
    5/26/2018 - USIM 1 - 251
    6/01/2018 - USIM 2 - 250
    6/06/2018 - NBME 8 - 258

Real Deal: 6/11/2018 - 258

Like all of you I thought I did awful. During every break I would sit on my phone on uptodate and see the mistakes I made. By the end of the exam I was tired, and was rushing, and I genuinely thought I couldn't care less what happens, because I'll never be a doctor. But trust your practice exams, trust the work you did (UWorld x 1.8, Anki, and a little bit of OME, and First Aid, but mainly Uworld), and trust in yourself.

You all did fantastic, and I look forward to seeing you all as colleagues in the immediate future.

21. mikemedman19

Fellow DO here... please please please let my score be like yours!

Step 1: 250
    UWSA1: 252
    NBME 8: 242
    UWSA2: 256

UW first pass: 75-76%
    UW second pass: 85-86%

Step 2: ???

Take it this Friday... really nervous as my prep seemed really unorganized/ demotivating. Just want above average for IM.

22. RadiologyIsRad

Medical Student
    Hey everyone.

I took the exam on Monday 7/9. I left feeling like I had been totally beaten. My last block was my hardest one, so that might be why I felt that way. However reading people's experiences on this thread has made me feel a little better. It sounds like several people leave feeling they got crushed and end up with good scores. Looking back there were probably two blocks that stand out in my mind as very, very difficult, having up to 10 or more where I either had no clue whatsoever, or could only eliminate one or two answer choices, and then a few others that I could narrow down to one or two. There were also a couple blocks where there were maybe 3 or 4 questions that I had serious trouble with. The rest of the blocks felt decent, but definitely not easy.

Step 1: 224

Several CMS exams - weeks leading up to Step 2 CK - subject exam scores ranged from 75-86 (usually 78-82)
    UWSA1 - 6/23/18 - 244
    NBME7 - 6/29/18 - 230
    UWSA2 - 7/1/18 - 254
    NBME8 - 7/4/18 - 230
    NBME6 - 7/7/18 - 258

Step 2 CK 7/9/18 -- ???

In addition to what I posted above, for preparation I watched all of the OME videos a second time (this started during my last couple rotations). I made a schedule to ensure that I could watch all of them (a few per day) on 1.5 times the speed and finish well before my actual test date. I went through UWorld a second time (after using it the first time throughout my clerkships). I also completed all the missed questions until I had gotten everything correct. I did several of the CMS for each subject, and when I was having difficulty justifying the right answer to a question I had gotten wrong, I attempted to find an article (they were commonly from the AAFP Journal) that supported an answer. I felt that reviewing the literature to support an answer helped me gain confidence in in the topic. Those article are commonly pretty thorough overviews for those topics, and while I don't suggest you try and read all of them (obviously), if you're struggling with a topic they seem like a good way to thoroughly review the information you would need for step 2 for a particular topic without going into a crazy amount of detail.

Only time will tell how my score turns out. However, I appreciated everyone who posted about their experience on test day. It made me feel better that I did not leave confident that I had "crushed" step 2. I felt that sharing my experience might help someone else feel better after walking out of that difficult exam. I am anxious because my step 1 score was below average and I want to go into diagnostic radiology. I worked very hard to try and improve my score from step 1, and my self-assessment scores were all over the map. I've got my fingers crossed for a good score. Wish me luck!

#772 RadiologyIsRad, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  23. Enzymaticdegradation

Congratulations on the huge jump. You are the MVP! Good luck!

24. AngelOfDeath

Medical Student
    274, pretty ****ing pumped!

sahell, APA 32, Ashantua and 6 others like this.
  25. delimitedtab

2+ Year Member

Congrats! What did your practice tests look like?

AngelOfDeath and PSYCH2019 like this.
  26. MightBeACylon439

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    UWSA1-257
    UWSA2-245

CK results today- 242
    Not as high as I wanted, but im going anesthesia and that is more than sufficient of a score.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  27. AngelOfDeath

Medical Student
    273 on UWSA1, 274 on UWSA2, so safe to say they were pretty predictive. Only took 2 weeks of dedicated but studied my ass off during my last rotation. I'd say keeping up with my anki deck all year was the biggest thing for me. Made it so much easier when I went back to review OBGYN and **** like that I hadn't done in nearly a year.

gapyearguppy and delimitedtab like this.
  28. gapyearguppy

2+ Year Member

Thank you for sharing that, and congratulations that is an awesome score!

How did you do on your shelf exams during the year, if you don't mind me asking.

29. AngelOfDeath

Medical Student
    Mostly high 80s or low 90s

30. goberdoc1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Any suggestions on how to prepare for the health main, prevention, and survilence section. Also, for the pharm, intervention, management. Last, how about biostats. Thanks for your guidance.

31. HouseTargaryen34

Medical Student
    Random logistical question for people who have already taken the test:
    Is the total exam length 7 or 8 - 1 hour blocks?

32. CCmedic3

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Step 2 is 8 sections.. one more than step 1. Typically ends up being 318 questions total since at least one block will have a long abstract, so they give you 2 less questions in that block to make up for the time spent reading.

33. gapyearguppy

2+ Year Member

Should I do the Free 120? Other than percent correlation is there any added benefit? Or is it just that seeing more questions = better score?

34. EReid1

10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Took it yesterday. HORRIBLE experience.

I felt very prepared going into the test. Expected there would definitely be some questions I didn't know... but wow. The questions seemed intentionally vague. Leaving out important physical exam findings, vitals, labs, etc. I found myself guessing. A lot. I honestly am not even sure what I missed... I can think of 6 or 7 easy ones that I threw away. I scored a 229 on step 1 and was really hoping to make a substantial improvement. Freaking the **** out right now and would like to drink bleach. My scores:

NBME8 241 (4 weeks out)

UWSA1 257 (2 weeks out)

NBME7 241 (1 week out)

UWSA2 260 (2 days out)

I have heard people say to "trust your scores" but holy **** I have no idea how I could possibly hope for 240+ guessing on that many questions. It seemed like most of the test wasn't covered in any resource I used.... I used uworld, step 2 secrets, master the boards, and step up to medicine. None of those helped. God help me.

35. RadiologyIsRad

Medical Student
    You and I sound like we are in the same boat! I've had a few days to unwind from it. I took it Monday. But Tuesday and Wednesday following the real exam I was totally demoralized.

I've read several posts on here about people who felt the same way coming out of the exam and ended up with very good scores. I like to think the rough ones are standing out in my mind and that I'm not thinking about all the ones that were gimmes or the ones I was able to narrow down to one or two choices. Just keep your fingers crossed and try to put it out of your mind for the time being. There's nothing we can do about it now.

NK9 likes this.
  36. EReid1

10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    It's good to hear that pretty much everyone felt the same way after that test. I'm hoping to at least hit upper 230's. Anything above that feels like it would be a miracle.

Do you know when we get our scores? I have heard August 29th, which seems late.

37. RadiologyIsRad

Medical Student
    I was told they may do a "question review" thing this time of year where they evaluate new questions, remove old ones, update them, etc. and that it may be a delay from the usual 3-4 weeks wait. I've decided to not expect them any earlier than late August. Although it would be a nice surprise to get them sooner.

quincyfuturemd likes this.
  38. funnybanana

5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I feel terrible at it, too. Took mine about a week ago. At least you had good scores going in...I had a 225 on UWSA1 and a 245 on UWSA2. All I want is a 240+, and I don't think I scored that by any means. I did decent on Step 1 (242), and I really feel like I went down in score. So many multi-part questions where I know I missed either all or part of them. I can count 25-30 questions I know I missed. I've seriously been depressed (and I'm not misusing that word) since my exam...I cannot wait until August 29 for my score..

39. HouseTargaryen34

Medical Student
    Ive taken my last practice test (UW assessment) before my exam this coming week.
    I scored lower (i.e. 243) than I did on my 1st UW assessment (246) and my STEP 1 (247), even though I was doing great on UWORLD blocks.
    Frustrating that it feels like none of the hard work I've put in feels like it's paying off.

I'm saying this because I hope it's a comfort to know that you're not alone.
    I'm mentally preparing myself for defeat and frustration on Monday.

40. IM_DO_2018

Medical Student
    DO student here, been lurking on this thread for a while and figured I'd give back to those who want my $0.02.

Step 1: 248
    NBME 6: 260
    NBME 7: 266
    NBME 8: 259
    UWSA 1: 269
    UWSA 2: 267
    Step 2 CK: 271

Studied hard for shelf exams throughout the year..scored above average but didn't blow them out of the water. PM me for details. Good luck to those waiting for results or studying now. Trust your practice exams.

riley2021, NK9, Ashantua and 7 others like this.
  41. mymembernames

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Anyone know what the percent correct for UWSA 1 or 2 is to score 230 or above?

42. ItsADocsLife

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Right there with you. Constantly getting 80%+ in my 2nd round of UW but ended up with a 240 on UWSA 1. But I have to admit when I reviewed it, the exam seemed a lot easier and I should have scored more. Maybe I was just psyching myself out.
    People say that UWSA 2 is harder. You've managed to score 240+ on it too so I think you should trust your scores believe you'll get 240+ on the real deal.

NK9 and HouseTargaryen34 like this.
  43. HouseTargaryen34

Medical Student
    Thank you for the encouragement! I needed that!
    I agree. UWSA2 was harder and when I looked at several of the blocks on both assessments I realized my frustration was just with the sheer LENGTH of the questions. I got overwhelmed by trying to read fast that I overlooked critical details or (the opposite) tried too hard to make all of the details connect.

Can anyone speak to what the question length was like on the real deal?

The Dayman likes this.
  44. DrPhilster

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Questions were long as hell on the actual thing, whole test was like that and super vague, I think I did pretty poorly unless there's a Godlike curve. Just want to match my step 1 and score 240, oh well we'll see. Only test I did was UWSA1 3 days prior and got 245 on it, but it feels like none of my prep helped me on the actual test yesterday ... :/

45. mymembernames

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do you happen to remember what percent that correlated to on UW SA1 for a 240?

46. Greeneggsandham5

So I just finished the NBME Form 7 with a 70% correct and it gave me a score of 207. I've been consistently getting 70-80% on UWorld, but this score just really confuses me.... Any advice?

mymembernames likes this.
  47. rddn_jk

2+ Year Member

All of the NBMEs have steep curves, 7 is the worst.

48. CCmedic3

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think I got a 238 with 67% right, so probably 68-69% would be 240.

49. FMbound19

So I've been stalking this page for years and I've finally freaked out enough to post for some advice.

I took NBME's 6&7 this week (2 weeks out) and they did not go well at all. I got a 209 on 6 and a 198 :vomit:on 7. This was a bit of a slap in the face as my previous scores have been as follows:
    Shelf exams - national average or higher
    UWorld first pass (during M3) - 60%
    UWSA1 (2mo out) - 220
    UWorld second pass - 72%

I'm aiming for at least a 230/national average since I bombed Step 1 (200 :dead:) and while I'm going into FM I'd still like to get into a good program.

So the big question is whether or not to postpone my exam a week. I know it ultimately depends on the individual but any advice would be probably the greatest thing ever.

50. rddn_jk

2+ Year Member

I take the test tomorrow, so take the advice with a grain of salt. Even though the NBMEs typically underpredict your score, I am concerned that you barely passed on 6. Maybe take UW2 prior to making a decision to reschedule.

What resources do you use besides uworld? I've found that ANKI and OME have been very useful.