USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As 2018 approaches and people are starting to rev up for their CK studying I figured I would start the 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread.

As always please follow all of the forum / NBME / USMLE etc.. rules and regulations when posting.

My dedicated starts tomorrow, have about 6 weeks to study over the holidays. Hoping for a 250 +, scored a 26x on step 1.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Went from a 253 on UWSA1 to a 246 on UWSA2. Step 1 was a 245 and I just need to score higher than that on the actual Step 2. I'm 3 days out (with one day planned to not study). Just feeling bummed.
You are almost done...Be confident! Get some r&r and then go kill it on test day

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my CK score recently and would like to share my experience so everyone can be reassured that it'll all work out.

nbme8: 185 (8 weeks out) - before really studying, just wanted a baseline. was pretty worried at this stage.
Uwsa1: 208 (4 weeks out) - still pretty worried, but for some reason i just didn't care much
Uwsa2: 228 (2 weeks out) - felt a little better, but still not where i wanted to be
nbme7: 215 (10 days before) - was freaking out, but honestly i just wanted to get this thing over and done with
nbme6: 220 (3 days before) - was in acceptance that I might not score that well on the exam, just decided to give it a go
free 120: 85% (2 days before) - felt satisfied, thought I could do decent on the exam. honestly these questions were much easier than the real thing.
CK: >240 - was happy with the score because of my blunders on the exam and poor pre-test prediction (nbme & uworld).

Test prep:
i studied periodically 2-3 hrs every day for about 5 weeks, with rests on the weekend. Basically I did uworld questions, watched OME and because i was on my rotations didnt have a dedicated time to study, just whenever the residents/attendings let me go. I was also getting pretty tired of studying so somedays I would go home, try to study but then end up on youtube. my goal was just to do 40 Qs and as long as I learned a few things a day I was fine with it. Some days weren't very productive, but honestly I just didn't care as much as I did for step 1.

Test day:
Test day was terrible, i thought 55-65% of the questions on each block were straightforward, stumbled on the 4th block, left maybe 5-7 answers unfilled. Every block I would basically run out of time, had maybe 1-2 questions i just randomly guessed on. during the breaks, I would check my answers, this psyched me out, but i forged on, couldn't do much at that time. After the exam I was pretty exhausted, felt like crap, rememberd at least 25-30 questions that I know i got wrong (changing from correct to incorrect), subtracted maybe 2 from every block that i guessed randomly on, and 5 from block 4. My estimated incorrect was at least 50,and potentially up to 70 wrong. was preparing to study for ck again, but told myself to just chill-out and wait for the actual results.

Score day:
Received my score, was pleasantly surprised to get above the average. Not sure what miraculous event happened but it did.

Moral of the study:
Go with your gut on every question, don't spend too much time on 1 question (2 minutes MAX), and chill out after the exam, even if you think you failed... I honestly thought i was going to fail.

Reactions: 11 users
Got my CK score recently and would like to share my experience so everyone can be reassured that it'll all work out.

nbme8: 185 (8 weeks out) - before really studying, just wanted a baseline. was pretty worried at this stage.
Uwsa1: 208 (4 weeks out) - still pretty worried, but for some reason i just didn't care much
Uwsa2: 228 (2 weeks out) - felt a little better, but still not where i wanted to be
nbme7: 215 (10 days before) - was freaking out, but honestly i just wanted to get this thing over and done with
nbme6: 220 (3 days before) - was in acceptance that I might not score that well on the exam, just decided to give it a go
free 120: 85% (2 days before) - felt satisfied, thought I could do decent on the exam. honestly these questions were much easier than the real thing.
CK: >240 - was happy with the score because of my blunders on the exam and poor pre-test prediction (nbme & uworld).

Test prep:
i studied periodically 2-3 hrs every day for about 5 weeks, with rests on the weekend. Basically I did uworld questions, watched OME and because i was on my rotations didnt have a dedicated time to study, just whenever the residents/attendings let me go. I was also getting pretty tired of studying so somedays I would go home, try to study but then end up on youtube. my goal was just to do 40 Qs and as long as I learned a few things a day I was fine with it. Some days weren't very productive, but honestly I just didn't care as much as I did for step 1.

Test day:
Test day was terrible, i thought 55-65% of the questions on each block were straightforward, stumbled on the 4th block, left maybe 5-7 answers unfilled. Every block I would basically run out of time, had maybe 1-2 questions i just randomly guessed on. during the breaks, I would check my answers, this psyched me out, but i forged on, couldn't do much at that time. After the exam I was pretty exhausted, felt like crap, rememberd at least 25-30 questions that I know i got wrong (changing from correct to incorrect), subtracted maybe 2 from every block that i guessed randomly on, and 5 from block 4. My estimated incorrect was at least 50,and potentially up to 70 wrong. was preparing to study for ck again, but told myself to just chill-out and wait for the actual results.

Score day:
Received my score, was pleasantly surprised to get above the average. Not sure what miraculous event happened but it did.

Moral of the study:
Go with your gut on every question, don't spend too much time on 1 question (2 minutes MAX), and chill out after the exam, even if you think you failed... I honestly thought i was going to fail.

Thanks for this! What was your step 1 if you don't mind sharing?

Test prep:

Test day:

Score day:

Moral of the study:
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS. Had a very similar exam day experience. This post gives me hope!!!!

Went from a 253 on UWSA1 to a 246 on UWSA2. Step 1 was a 245 and I just need to score higher than that on the actual Step 2. I'm 3 days out (with one day planned to not study). Just feeling bummed.

I can relate to this, I'm writing soon as well and got almost the exact same on UWSA2 (247) and I thought alot of the topics were not as high yield and felt my percent correct and general efforts deserved higher. I've also been stalking these forums and seen a number of people score close to their UWSA1. Regardless both of your UWSA scores are awesome and I would be proud and go into it confident.

Took the test today. Wow. Hands down, most difficult test I have ever taken. Echoing what other people have said, there were just so many challenging 50:50 questions. I had at least 2-3 “WTF” questions per block where I had zero idea what the stem was even getting at. I usually mark questions liberally.. but I marked about 20/40 per section on average. For perspective, on UWSA sections I would mark usually around 12. I’m hoping I just got a very challenging form. The fatigue was a real factor. I was just out of energy by the end. Didn’t end up having time for lunch, kept taking 7 minute breaks just to try to refresh and gather myself. I don’t usually have to think so hard on so many questions. The drug ads with 3 questions were horrific. My god those are awful.

Feeling like a major dog turd right now but I’m hoping it will turn out alright... :/

Reactions: 6 users
I took NBME 6 five days ago and got a 217 (31 ish mistakes, about half were silly). I'm trying to take this thing by next month, goal is anywhere between 240-250. I've gone through UW once along with my incorrects. Making my way through my weaker topics in OME and MTB. Planning to go through UW once more while reviewing notes. What do you guys think? Doable? Any other advice?

I can relate to this, I'm writing soon as well and got almost the exact same on UWSA2 (247) and I thought alot of the topics were not as high yield and felt my percent correct and general efforts deserved higher. I've also been stalking these forums and seen a number of people score close to their UWSA1. Regardless both of your UWSA scores are awesome and I would be proud and go into it confident.
I am thinking of taking uwsa2 first so I dont lose confidence by dropping scores lol. Do you guys think it’s a good idea? Or should I stick to uwsa1 ——> uwsa2

Members don't see this ad :)
I am thinking of taking uwsa2 first so I dont lose confidence by dropping scores lol. Do you guys think it’s a good idea? Or should I stick to uwsa1 ——> uwsa2
I think you should take a different approach. Doesn’t matter which you take first IMO. I went in order. But have more confidence in yourself. Really use these tests as a tool to get better versus attempting to satisfy yourself with a 3-digit number. I don’t mean to sound brash, but I think having more confidence could help (I know, easier said than done before test day).

I improved on my scores from UWSA1 > UWSA2 > CK because I utilized the tests as a tool to improve and learn. Don’t worry about making mistakes or dropping in scores. Now is the time to screw up and learn from it. Keep working hard! It will all pay off when you get that score back.

Best of luck

Reactions: 3 users
So as a preface, took step 2 on Monday, and I have 0 advice to give. As to my experience: I am currently in the acceptance phase of grief.
Regrets: 0. There is nothing I would have changed. Reading all of Wikipedia, CDC, FDA, UptoDate, AHA, USPTF, FDKBNDJS, FDHIBDA, JFHDJS would not have further prepared me for this exam. I made up new pathophysiology for **** I've never seen. Reading fantasy books as a kid probably helped me the most on this exam, because it expanded my creativity in making **** up.
Performance: 0. I like to add that I'm historically a pretty good test taker. Aside from Ob, I've been in the 99.9 percentile on all the DO shelves, and mid 90s on the MD psych shelf. I know how to guess and eliminate choices. But holy ****. I literally flipped a coin on 50% of this exam. I don't even know how to look up answers on google. It was that bad for me. I finished each block with 15-20min to spare only because I guessed on so many questions. If this is how NBME and residency programs choose to stratify us, it's a terrible way. Honestly, if I got a 270 on this, I could have just as easily gotten a 190. That's how **** this exam is with a confidence interval of 0-999. I never thought I'd say this, but COMLEX level 2 (aside from OMM and convoluted ethics) was a way better written exam than step 2.
Experience: would not repeat. But I may have no choice if I failed this ****; even then would not repeat. It's as if NBME figured out what we were using to study (Uworld, OME etc), and chose to test us on stuff not on there that are super low yield in clinical practice (from the small 1 yr experience I've had). I'm not sure what the philosophy is behind that, but it seems like crap test writing to me. I've tried every defence mechanism since the exam, from humour, to rationalization, to displacement (srry table). I think its time for suppression. But then again, writing this has made me regressed to the anger stage in grief; after all, who said the stages of grief is linear.

Reactions: 8 users
So as a preface, took step 2 on Monday, and I have 0 advice to give. As to my experience: I am currently in the acceptance phase of grief.
Regrets: 0. There is nothing I would have changed. Reading all of Wikipedia, CDC, FDA, UptoDate, AHA, USPTF, FDKBNDJS, FDHIBDA, JFHDJS would not have further prepared me for this exam. I made up new pathophysiology for **** I've never seen. Reading fantasy books as a kid probably helped me the most on this exam, because it expanded my creativity in making **** up.
Performance: 0. I like to add that I'm historically a pretty good test taker. Aside from Ob, I've been in the 99.9 percentile on all the DO shelves, and mid 90s on the MD psych shelf. I know how to guess and eliminate choices. But holy ****. I literally flipped a coin on 50% of this exam. I don't even know how to look up answers on google. It was that bad for me. I finished each block with 15-20min to spare only because I guessed on so many questions. If this is how NBME and residency programs choose to stratify us, it's a terrible way. Honestly, if I got a 270 on this, I could have just as easily gotten a 190. That's how **** this exam is with a confidence interval of 0-999. I never thought I'd say this, but COMLEX level 2 (aside from OMM and convoluted ethics) was a way better written exam than step 2.
Experience: would not repeat. But I may have no choice if I failed this ****; even then would not repeat. It's as if NBME figured out what we were using to study (Uworld, OME etc), and chose to test us on stuff not on there that are super low yield in clinical practice (from the small 1 yr experience I've had). I'm not sure what the philosophy is behind that, but it seems like crap test writing to me. I've tried every defence mechanism since the exam, from humour, to rationalization, to displacement (srry table). I think its time for suppression. But then again, writing this has made me regressed to the anger stage in grief; after all, who said the stages of grief is linear.

Historically if you look through everything on this thread this is such a common experience. You need to start using some intellectualization and see a few things:
1) The exam is curved based off the pool of questions given to various exam takers where I suspect questions are graded differently.
2)We all use the same sources and learn the same crap from Uworld, OME, Rotations etc. The pretest probability is extremely high that if you were freaking out over this question, so was every single person who either got the same exam or question on their test.
3)We ALL use assessment tools like UWSA and NBME to test our medical knowledge before going into an exam. If you score well that means you know your stuff and if you don't score well that means you have things to work out. Miraculously we all score around that when we get our final results.
4) My Fair Game theory. There are a bunch of experimental/flop questions and some fair questions in the exam. The experimental/flop questions are meant to throw you off your game. You have to make sure you get the questions right that were fair game. For example, if you scored well on the NBME/UWSA chances are it shows you have good medical knowledge. You will get these "fair" questions correct compared to other medical students. If you get every "fair" question correct you will score around the average. If you get every "fair" question wrong you will score below the average or fail. If you get every "fair" question correct AND their ridiculous flop/experimental questions you will do extremely well.
5)Who knows how many fair questions they can throw in the exam. Maybe there's only 10 or 20 "fair" questions and the rest is all experimental and it's all meant to throw you off your game and see how you handle when things don't work out...kind of like medicine. This would easily explain the multitude of experiences you see. Some people comment the exam was very straight forward. Well they probably had a bunch of "fair" questions and some people comment that the exam was ridiculous and couldn't recognize a single lick of information on the entire exam. The individual with the exam with many "fair" questions will easily leave the test feeling like they did well to see they scored average or below average. Well...that's probably because there were more questions they needed to get correctly and an increase chance of error due to fatigue. The individual with the "experimental" test can end up doing well because they might have correctly answered the few questions they needed to get correct.

Last edited:

I think they are both useful assessments and it doesn't really matter which is first. However if someone does have a bad experience with UWSA2 or drops a few I think it is tougher and the average is lower so they shouldn't freak out. I've seen lots of people on here improve from UWSA1 to UWSA2 or still score very well on both even if UWSA2 is a bit lower. I wouldn't really worry about it, I don't think it's like an NBME 7 where a ton of people experience a massive drop or anything crazy.

Reactions: 1 user
Do we have any actual confirmation that the experimental questions are hard? I'm afraid we've assumed that as a comfort measure, but the fact that its an experimental question has no bearing on the difficulty of the question. Just means its new and they're collecting data on it. An easy "what's the diagnosis" question on CHF can be just as experimental as a difficult WTF question.

Reactions: 2 users
Maaan, why does this whole process have to be so stressful lol

I don't think there's another single profession out there where you can put in and insane amount of hours of work cover loads of material and go into an exam and still feel like you failed.

Reactions: 4 users
I took NBME 6 five days ago and got a 217 (31 ish mistakes, about half were silly). I'm trying to take this thing by next month, goal is anywhere between 240-250. I've gone through UW once along with my incorrects. Making my way through my weaker topics in OME and MTB. Planning to go through UW once more while reviewing notes. What do you guys think? Doable? Any other advice?
Yea, it's definitely doable.

has anyone tried the Amboss qbank?

I'm two weeks from my exam, 240 on UWSA 1, constantly getting 80% on my UW second pass (Yes i know...bias!)...a friend recommended the Amboss qbank to me so I did a couple blocks of the Intermediate and hard difficultly level and I got OWNED!

I know I shouldn't have tried a new resource so close to the exam but my curiosity got the better of me...and now...I'm freaking out!

Hey, I am pretty interested in Amboss. I am still awaiting my step 2 score. What are your thoughts on using this for a study resource for 4th year or do you think stick with a 1yr subscription to Uworld? Asking in the context of learning the material not so much as a study resource for step 3. Good luck on your exam.

Hey everyone, I just started M3 year. Will probably be taking Step 2 CK in a little over a year or so. I scored a 231 on Step 1 and am looking to get a high score on Step 2 to sort of make up for it a bit. Are there any things you all would recommend? I know that for Step 1, establishing a good foundation for the preclinical years helps quite a bit, does studying hard for and doing well on shelf exams have the same effect on Step 2?

has anyone tried the Amboss qbank?

I'm two weeks from my exam, 240 on UWSA 1, constantly getting 80% on my UW second pass (Yes i know...bias!)...a friend recommended the Amboss qbank to me so I did a couple blocks of the Intermediate and hard difficultly level and I got OWNED!

I know I shouldn't have tried a new resource so close to the exam but my curiosity got the better of me...and now...I'm freaking out!

Don't worry about it. I've tried amboss as well and did a number of questions. It's the hard difficulty man lol so obviously it's gonna be tough. Stick the tried and trusted UW

Hey, I am pretty interested in Amboss. I am still awaiting my step 2 score. What are your thoughts on using this for a study resource for 4th year or do you think stick with a 1yr subscription to Uworld? Asking in the context of learning the material not so much as a study resource for step 3. Good luck on your exam.

UW. I have done some of the amboss bank and it's solid, but there are questions with blatant errors that I couldn't believe, like telling you the literal opposite of the correct answer. Supplement with readings from UTD or whatever books and you'll be good

Step 1 - 230

UWSA 2 (1 week before) - 253
Uworld correct - 0%

Actual - 255

Never did any other practice tests.
Never did OME
Never did Step up to medicine
Never did any Uworld questions.

I did read through Uworld explanations. So basically I would submit blocks empty and just read the explanation and why that answer was correct without doing the questions. As short as dedicated is (3 weeks), I calculated it would take 6 x 11 hour days just to complete Uworld (not counting reading explanations). That is almost a week wasted without gaining any knowledge.

Honestly how helpful is it to continue to practice your test taking ability. We've taken so many tests up to this point. So instead I would read explanation after explanation of Uworld for 3 weeks straight till it was memorized.

Also I did terrible during third year.

I love this, thanks for sharing!

I don't mean to make light of your grief, but I am screaming at this write-up!!!

I bet you did excellent. You sound like a smart guy. Can't wait for three weeks from now to compare your reactions.

Hey guys, taking CK on Friday!
So far I've only done UWSA 1 (7/16) and NBME 7 today (7/21)
Got 215 on both...grr. To be fair, UWSA 1 was more to see where I was at...hadn't really studied anything in details, mostly just lots of notes I had yet to cover. Also didn't help that I guessed on 6 on block one b/c I ran out of time (been doing all timed since then lol).
Found out about 7's notoriety for under predicting after the fact... most of the ones I missed were narrowed down to 2.
Anyways, I'm taking USWA 2 Tuesday and we'll see how it goes! Definitely feel I know a lot more since I can finally sit and read/study my own notes.
I'm currently on second pass of Uworld and doing pretty well so far, in the 85th percentile, but plan on at least finishing psych, ob and peds at least before exam day b/c I haven't done peds/ob in over a year and it's been about the same for psych. I did most of the medicine block in finishing first pass last month b/c I didn't use it much during IMED.
Currently using OME notes/quicknotes with my notes I made from MTB, UWORLD and step2secrets.
Good luck to everyone this month :)

Last edited:
Do we have any actual confirmation that the experimental questions are hard? I'm afraid we've assumed that as a comfort measure, but the fact that its an experimental question has no bearing on the difficulty of the question. Just means its new and they're collecting data on it. An easy "what's the diagnosis" question on CHF can be just as experimental as a difficult WTF question.
No there isn’t any confirmation of that. You are correct it’s a comfort theory for those who find comfort in it. Your assessment is correct because each question needs to be assessed and validated before “live” use.

so my permit disappeared so im guessing 6/25 to 6/30 is getting their scores back this week.

Hey guys,

I scored 251 on my UWSA1 last week.

I did the UW SIM2 yesterday (2 days before exam - test is tomorrow) and scored a 196, only to realise that I was given a Step1 SIM to do (I was wondering why so much of the test was step 1 based). Felt awful until I just realised that it was the wrong test awhile ago.

Havent done any NBMEs and was wondering if I should buy myself more time, and sit the test later? Do a few NBMEs and the correct UWSA2 to give me a better idea of where I am at. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Aren't our scores delayed till like end of august? It's unbelievable that I took my CS exam a week after CK and I'll get my CS score first.
Yeah supposedly but nothing is really definite about that statement specifically in my opinion. Last year they got them back in 4wks-ish.

May be just wishful thinking but let's hope….

"Necessary modifications to the test item pool will result in a delay in reporting for some examinees who test beginning the week of June 30, 2018. The target date for reporting Step 2 CK scores for most examinees testing the week of June 30 through mid-August will be Wednesday, August 29, 2018."

Test is on Friday. UWSA1 last Sunday- 268. UWSA2 today- 252. I felt like UWSA 2 was extremely difficult, and I had a ton of things marked. Do a lot of people have this big of a drop between the two tests? Should I feel confident if my goal is like a 244?

Test is on Friday. UWSA1 last Sunday- 268. UWSA2 today- 252. I felt like UWSA 2 was extremely difficult, and I had a ton of things marked. Do a lot of people have this big of a drop between the two tests? Should I feel confident if my goal is like a 244?

Yeah, sounds like you're doing pretty well and will reach your goal if not much better. Don't stress too much!

Hey guys,

I scored 251 on my UWSA1 last week.

I did the UW SIM2 yesterday (2 days before exam - test is tomorrow) and scored a 196, only to realise that I was given a Step1 SIM to do (I was wondering why so much of the test was step 1 based). Felt awful until I just realised that it was the wrong test awhile ago.

Havent done any NBMEs and was wondering if I should buy myself more time, and sit the test later? Do a few NBMEs and the correct UWSA2 to give me a better idea of where I am at. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Maybe do 1 NBME if you really want to see how you do, or even do the Free 120 questions. Step 1 and CK are pretty different in terms of questions asked and it seems like you did well on UWSA1. Your real score shouldn't be too different.

Oddly enough, I have scored higher on my NBME exams than UWSA. Anyone else feel like the NBME are ridiculously easy whereas UWSA are difficult but scaled much better?

Oddly enough, I have scored higher on my NBME exams than UWSA. Anyone else feel like the NBME are ridiculously easy whereas UWSA are difficult but scaled much better?

I think it depends what kind of test taker you are. NBMEs are curved tough enough that I think for most people they will make enough silly mistakes to bring down their score whereas with UWSA brain fart mistakes or fatigue mistakes don't bring you down as much. If you have a really great day with an NBME you can score super high because the questions are definitely easier, it's just hard for most people to maintain a %90+ through all 4 blocks

Took NBME 7, got a 209!!! Test this week, should I delay?
Depends on your other assessment scores. If this is an outlier and others have been way better, then proceed with confidence. If not, then I'd delay. UWSAs are more predictive now, if you did well on those then you're good.

Depends on your other assessment scores. If this is an outlier and others have been way better, then proceed with confidence. If not, then I'd delay. UWSAs are more predictive now, if you did well on those then you're good.

Thanks, I'm gonna take UW2 and see where I'm at

Took the exam on the 29th of June. Permit disappeared today (eligibility period till the 30th of July). Expecting my result this Wednesday.