USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As 2018 approaches and people are starting to rev up for their CK studying I figured I would start the 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread.

As always please follow all of the forum / NBME / USMLE etc.. rules and regulations when posting.

My dedicated starts tomorrow, have about 6 weeks to study over the holidays. Hoping for a 250 +, scored a 26x on step 1.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it depends what kind of test taker you are. NBMEs are curved tough enough that I think for most people they will make enough silly mistakes to bring down their score whereas with UWSA brain fart mistakes or fatigue mistakes don't bring you down as much. If you have a really great day with an NBME you can score super high because the questions are definitely easier, it's just hard for most people to maintain a %90+ through all 4 blocks

That makes sense for sure. Do most people then trust their UW or NBME scores if NBME are higher but not by too much?

Members don't see this ad :)
Took the test today! Everything looked vaguely familiar if not outright familiar and a gimme. Even the experimental ones were things I just had never thought about but were still something you could have seen as a topic in UW or the assessments or the NBMEs had you looked it up on uptodate. I didn't get anything too crazy, but definitely some left of center things. I missed some really easy gimmes due to fatigue and I'm kicking myself over it.

The question styles were super similar to the UW assessments (I would say even shorter) and I would place the difficulty of my test in between UWSA1 and UWSA2 with most blocks leaning towards UWSA2. Having seen the questions I saw, I think knowing UW extremely well and reading the explanations and watching OME could carry anyone to a really good score (270+). I'm just hoping I beat my step 1 score by even two points haha.

Took the test today! Everything looked vaguely familiar if not outright familiar and a gimme. Even the experimental ones were things I just had never thought about but were still something you could have seen as a topic in UW or the assessments or the NBMEs had you looked it up on uptodate. I didn't get anything too crazy, but definitely some left of center things. I missed some really easy gimmes due to fatigue and I'm kicking myself over it.

The question styles were super similar to the UW assessments (I would say even shorter) and I would place the difficulty of my test in between UWSA1 and UWSA2 with most blocks leaning towards UWSA2. Having seen the questions I saw, I think knowing UW extremely well and reading the explanations and watching OME could carry anyone to a really good score (270+). I'm just hoping I beat my step 1 score by even two points haha.
Do you mind if I ask what you scored on step 1? I also took it today and thinking we maybe didn't have the same exam. Mine felt quite out of left field on many questions. Counted about 12 mistakes so far and 6 silly ones I'm hoping doesn't come back to haunt me

I took it last week and I definitely agree with what you're saying. I found UWorld to be quite difficult, even during my 2nd pass, but I took time to learn from it and my test was extremely representative of the qbank and both self assessments. I was pleasantly surprised at how straight forward a majority of my test was.

That being said, a classmate took the test the same day at the same site as me and told me their test was extremely step 1 heavy and had some tough biostats that made their head spin so I know there are some tough questions floating around there. I'm just glad that I didn't see many of them.

Hey everyone. I took UWSA1 yesterday and got a 271, which I was shocked to see. I have 3 study days left before test day. I’m going to do UWSA2 for half of one of those days.

Should I just keep doing UW questions for the other days? I’m only like 60% through my second pass at 85% correct, so clearly not going to finish which sucks, but dedicated was very short. It’s all I’ve been doing basically all year. Or should I abandon it and do anki and OME instead for topics I won’t finish on UW? Anyone with any tips? Can’t help but feel like maybe UWSA1 was just luck so i’m nervous to take UWSA2 lol. Thanks

Iam looking for study partner for step2ck.
Exam in October 1st week..
I live in rockaway park queens,Newyork
If anyone interested please let me know.

I took it last week and I definitely agree with what you're saying. I found UWorld to be quite difficult, even during my 2nd pass, but I took time to learn from it and my test was extremely representative of the qbank and both self assessments. I was pleasantly surprised at how straight forward a majority of my test was.

That being said, a classmate took the test the same day at the same site as me and told me their test was extremely step 1 heavy and had some tough biostats that made their head spin so I know there are some tough questions floating around there. I'm just glad that I didn't see many of them.
Took mine July 17, I definitely had a more left field test.

Uworld 1 pass ~69%. Started off really bad and last like 1k questions i was averaging 75+. UWSA1 was 245 (a lot of dumb mistakes and almost all my 50/50s went wrong). Anyway I felt like UWorld was extremely easy compared to Step II. It was dejavu for me from Step I where I was getting high 230s on NBME, thought Step I was nothing likeUworld of NBME and ended up with a sad 225. I am expecting another sad Step II.

I felt like I had 200 50/50s out of the 315 questions. Maybe I just suck at Step exams, but I'm glad to be done.

My friend who got a 240 on step 1 and 253 on UWSA1 also felt it was super left field and more like Step 1 also, so IDK.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
I'm an IMG from Jordan.
My test is tomorrow and I feel confident until I read most experiences on this thread!
My assessments were reasonable, slightly under my goal though:
USWA1: 254
USWA2: 248 (many stupid mistakes and misread questions, I think I was mentally drained)
NBME 8: 248 (felt it was much easier and shorter than the UWORLD qbank and both USWA)

My step1 score is 240 and I am aiming for a 250+ on the CK.

I think I am well prepared knowledge-wise but I also think I am my own enemy as I tend to make many silly mistakes and actually misread questions (gotta slow up).

Will let you know how it goes tomorrow, wish me luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind if I ask what you scored on step 1? I also took it today and thinking we maybe didn't have the same exam. Mine felt quite out of left field on many questions. Counted about 12 mistakes so far and 6 silly ones I'm hoping doesn't come back to haunt me

My step 1 was a 245

You may be lucky though because if you got a harder test you may have a more lenient curve as more people found the same questions as difficult as you did and more people got those questions wrong, so it could be more forgiving of stupid mistakes.

Hey everyone. I took UWSA1 yesterday and got a 271, which I was shocked to see. I have 3 study days left before test day. I’m going to do UWSA2 for half of one of those days.

Should I just keep doing UW questions for the other days? I’m only like 60% through my second pass at 85% correct, so clearly not going to finish which sucks, but dedicated was very short. It’s all I’ve been doing basically all year. Or should I abandon it and do anki and OME instead for topics I won’t finish on UW? Anyone with any tips? Can’t help but feel like maybe UWSA1 was just luck so i’m nervous to take UWSA2 lol. Thanks
What percentage correct does that correlate with if you don't mind me asking

So as a preface, took step 2 on Monday, and I have 0 advice to give. As to my experience: I am currently in the acceptance phase of grief.
Regrets: 0. There is nothing I would have changed. Reading all of Wikipedia, CDC, FDA, UptoDate, AHA, USPTF, FDKBNDJS, FDHIBDA, JFHDJS would not have further prepared me for this exam. I made up new pathophysiology for **** I've never seen. Reading fantasy books as a kid probably helped me the most on this exam, because it expanded my creativity in making **** up.
Performance: 0. I like to add that I'm historically a pretty good test taker. Aside from Ob, I've been in the 99.9 percentile on all the DO shelves, and mid 90s on the MD psych shelf. I know how to guess and eliminate choices. But holy ****. I literally flipped a coin on 50% of this exam. I don't even know how to look up answers on google. It was that bad for me. I finished each block with 15-20min to spare only because I guessed on so many questions. If this is how NBME and residency programs choose to stratify us, it's a terrible way. Honestly, if I got a 270 on this, I could have just as easily gotten a 190. That's how **** this exam is with a confidence interval of 0-999. I never thought I'd say this, but COMLEX level 2 (aside from OMM and convoluted ethics) was a way better written exam than step 2.
Experience: would not repeat. But I may have no choice if I failed this ****; even then would not repeat. It's as if NBME figured out what we were using to study (Uworld, OME etc), and chose to test us on stuff not on there that are super low yield in clinical practice (from the small 1 yr experience I've had). I'm not sure what the philosophy is behind that, but it seems like crap test writing to me. I've tried every defence mechanism since the exam, from humour, to rationalization, to displacement (srry table). I think its time for suppression. But then again, writing this has made me regressed to the anger stage in grief; after all, who said the stages of grief is linear.
Your experience is not unique. Just took Step 2 this week and it felt like a beating. Some blocks were just full of questions worse than those 20-30% correct questions from UWorld. I'd trust that the curve/statistics will normalize scores and you'll come out fine, so hold out for hope. It's just unfortunate that we put so much time and effort preparing for it to only get put through such a test out of left field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, taking CK on Friday!
So far I've only done UWSA 1 (7/16) and NBME 7 today (7/21)
Got 215 on both...grr. To be fair, UWSA 1 was more to see where I was at...hadn't really studied anything in details, mostly just lots of notes I had yet to cover. Also didn't help that I guessed on 6 on block one b/c I ran out of time (been doing all timed since then lol).
Found out about 7's notoriety for under predicting after the fact... most of the ones I missed were narrowed down to 2.
Anyways, I'm taking USWA 2 Tuesday and we'll see how it goes! Definitely feel I know a lot more since I can finally sit and read/study my own notes.
I'm currently on second pass of Uworld and doing pretty well so far, in the 85th percentile, but plan on at least finishing psych, ob and peds at least before exam day b/c I haven't done peds/ob in over a year and it's been about the same for psych. I did most of the medicine block in finishing first pass last month b/c I didn't use it much during IMED.
Currently using OME notes/quicknotes with my notes I made from MTB, UWORLD and step2secrets.
Good luck to everyone this month :)
Yikes, I just finished USWA and got a 213. Not pushing it back, but guess I'll finish reviewing it and work on finishing the 2nd run of uworld. I do feel that had I done USWA 1 today, it would've been a better score lol. Not letting it get me down b/c I usually score lower on practice tests, but was hoping for at least 230 on it. Definitely need to go over ob/gyn and peds tho:cat:
edit: As I am reviewing, it seems there's a lot narrowing down to 2 choices and picking the other one b/c I overthought it, silly mistakes like CI questions that again, I over thought and the rest are "duh" moments. At some point I kept re-reading questions because I forgot what it asked... will def be going to sleep earlier these next days *sigh*

Last edited:
Please help:
213 on UWSA2 today. Am I safe to take it and at least pass in 2 days?
Took NBME 8 yesterday and got a 213 as well...

Last edited:
Test on Friday. UWSA1 10 days ago- 268; UWSA2 2 days ago- 252.

Is it bad that I'm not planning on doing ANY of the NBMEs? I feel like they would just psych me out. I still have ~200 uworld questions that I want to get through, and I was plannig on using any other time to watch OME videos about weak topics. Is this a good plan or should I do an NBME?

Test on Friday. UWSA1 10 days ago- 268; UWSA2 2 days ago- 252.

Is it bad that I'm not planning on doing ANY of the NBMEs? I feel like they would just psych me out. I still have ~200 uworld questions that I want to get through, and I was plannig on using any other time to watch OME videos about weak topics. Is this a good plan or should I do an NBME?

I didn't do an NBME and don't regret it

Hey guys
I took it yesterday, and I feel like a huge wrecking ball crushed me into mush
I really can’t pinpoint what went wrong, my performance altogether was pitiful.
It felt like I was encountering random questions that I had I no clue about whatsoever. Seriously, no clue.
I had like 10/40 questions of every block answered at random, 20/40 were 50-50 and I could be sure for only about 10/40
Given the fact that 2 days out I got 254 on NBME 8, and my average on nmbes-uwsas is around 250, do I stand a chance of getting more than 240? Cause 240 at that point would sound like a miracle.
I m not exaggerating, I have never felt so uncertain and pessimistic about anything in my life ever before.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys
I took it yesterday, and I feel like a huge wrecking ball crushed me into mush
I really can’t pinpoint what went wrong, my performance altogether was pitiful.
It felt like I was encountering random questions that I had I no clue about whatsoever. Seriously, no clue.
I had like 10/40 questions of every block answered at random, 20/40 were 50-50 and I could be sure for only about 10/40
Given the fact that 2 days out I got 254 on NBME 8, and my average on nmbes-uwsas is around 250, do I stand a chance of getting more than 240? Cause 240 at that point would sound like a miracle.
I m not exaggerating, I have never felt so uncertain and pessimistic about anything in my life ever before.
As I posted a few posts above, I had a similar experience and also had similar scores on practice tests. Just hold out hope for now that your experience is not unique and the curve will normalize things.

Hi guys.
My scheduled exam is on Aug 8. Had these assessments so far:
UWSA 1 today. 246.
NBME 7 2 weeks ago 221
NBME 6 3 weeks ago 241

I've started doing some of the questions from AMBOSS after NBME 7.
Just did a reset on my Uworld.
Sporadically did OME, SU2M before/during Uworld first round.
Should I consider rescheduling or bite the bullet? Thanks for your honest advice.

Took the exam 7/16

NBME 8 - 239 (1 week out)
UWSA 1 - 260 (5 days out)
UWSA 2 - 260 (3 days out)

Felt like the exam went okay but I agree that the questions were very vague, it often felt as though the stems were lacking and there was an abundance of questions for which it felt like there were three correct answers. Hoping for the best... should I expect my score 8/1 or 8/8?

Took the exam 7/16

NBME 8 - 239 (1 week out)
UWSA 1 - 260 (5 days out)
UWSA 2 - 260 (3 days out)

Felt like the exam went okay but I agree that the questions were very vague, it often felt as though the stems were lacking and there was an abundance of questions for which it felt like there were three correct answers. Hoping for the best... should I expect my score 8/1 or 8/8?

Also took the exam 7/16, and I felt like I got crushed. But lots of others seem to feel the same way, so we'll see how it goes. I may be pleasantly surprised by my score. I hope. Unfortunately we probably won't get our results until 8/29: United States Medical Licensing Examination | Announcements

Just got my score from June 29.
By the way, for anyone who has timing issues, I ran out of time and guessed on 40 qs and still passed.
For all those who are still studying, get your timing down and finish the test!
Good luck!

Also took the exam 7/16, and I felt like I got crushed. But lots of others seem to feel the same way, so we'll see how it goes. I may be pleasantly surprised by my score. I hope. Unfortunately we probably won't get our results until 8/29: United States Medical Licensing Examination | Announcements

Ugh, I have the worst timing. Had to wait 8 weeks for my Step 1 score since they were using newer questions. So annoying.

IMG from Ukraine.

Step 2 CK - 273 (Exam Date: 20 Apr 2017)
UWSA 1 = 267 (1,5 mo before)
UWSA 2 = 273 (1,5 w before)
Free 120 = 90.8% (1 week before)

The test was horrible (test-center was in Toulouse, France and it was really bad. Was very noisy, unprofessional staff. Also headphones died during my test and I had to change PC). The test itself was like nothing I saw before (definitely harder than UWSA 1,2). I felt much worse than after Step 1 (score 268). And an interesting point that in my performance profile in Step 1 almost all was with the asterisk, here (in CK) - nothing, and many in borderline performance. I assume this test forgive much more errors than Step 1.
Sorry for grammar (English is not my first language).

Reactions: 5 users
Step 2 CK: 246

UWSA1 (2 Weeks before): 254
UWSA2 (1 week before): 252
Step 1: 240+

So unfortunately I got a score outside my "UWSA average plus minus 5" which was disappointing knowing that they usually predict well and they were on the spot for step 1. I came out of the exam feeling neutral, I got blocks where questions were so easy and blocks where questions were so hard so I guess my exam was curved harshly due to the easy questions. I would say trust your UWSA if you came out of the exam feeling absolutely terrible and all blocks had the same hardness. This is the only time I wished I had a harder exam.

Im getting a little flustered! I took my exam on June 26th and the website still says score report not available. Anyone else still not seeing their report?

Just got my score from June 29.
By the way, for anyone who has timing issues, I ran out of time and guessed on 40 qs and still passed.
For all those who are still studying, get your timing down and finish the test!
Good luck!
hey congratulations :) can you please share your score? did you drop score from assessment exams?

Took mine 6/25 , Do student. Studied for 2 weeks dedicated , 2 weeks during my radiology rotation. The exam felt rougher than uwsa2.
Step1-228
Comlex1- 659
Uwsa1-242
Uwsa2-240
Nbme 8- 213
Step 2- 233
Level2-?????
Not gonna lie , disappointed in below avg score but better than failing. I’m hoping to get into anesthesia or EM.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Took mine 6/25 , Do student. Studied for 2 weeks dedicated , 2 weeks during my radiology rotation. The exam felt rougher than uwsa2.
Step1-228
Comlex1- 659
Uwsa1-242
Uwsa2-240
Nbme 8- 213
Step 2- 233
Level2-?????
Not gonna lie , disappointed in below avg score but better than failing. I’m hoping to get into anesthesia or EM.

How long before the test did you take UWSA2 and NBME 8 if you don't mind asking?

hey yall need some advice because I'm neurotic and crazy ( but arent we all ?)
Uwsa1:242 (4weeks ago)
Uwsa2:240 (6 days out)
Free120:83% (1wkago)
Nbme 8:213 (2wks ago)-wtf?
-so my question is yall think im have a good shot at getting 245-250? or should i push it back?
-im taking it on the 25th...

Step1-228
Comlex1- 659
Uwsa1-242
Uwsa2-240
Nbme 8- 213
Step 2- 233
Level2-?????
Congratulations you passed it :)

Hi guys! Again a lurker here.
Gave it on 6/29. Got my score today.

This thread was really helpful and prepared me to expect a **** feeling after the exam but still not be demotivated for the score. That is exactly what happened. I came out of the exam feeling like 'okay, I screwed up'. I was still hoping that I will score decent as I knew the general theme reading all the experiences here. But there are always exceptions and I feared I would be the one who felt like **** and actually scored ****. (There is no escaping this feeling). In the end, trust your efforts and all the hours you have put in.

I did Uworld x 1.5. CMS latest forms. Went through all the Uworld tables 3-4 times.

My assessments' timeline:

NBME 6: 247 (6 weeks before)
NBME 7: 211 (4 weeks before) I hated this exam. I would still recommend this one. Completely throws you off, but in the end you put in more because of it
UWSA1: 257
UWSA2: 247
(Both on the same day 10 days before the exam)
NBME 8: 245 + FRED (86%) (5 days before)

Real deal: 256 :)

Good luck!

Did uWorld once through and half of my incorrects a second time. Made my own Anki deck and did it daily.

UWSA 1 - 268
UWSA 2 - 260
Step 2CK (6/30 sitting) - 271

Ok to anyone who walks out of the Step 2 exam thinking they failed can you just tell your brain to stfu there's about N=100000+ experiences of almost EVERYONE feeling this way leaving Step 2. You're going to hit your UWSA so why even worry until the day you get your score. There's nothing you can do and this has just become the typical exam experience. Go out and celebrate. Chances are you passed if your assessments were decent.

Step 1-256 Step 2-276

Uwsa1-271, uwsa2-266, nbme 8-278

Felt horrible after the exam. Remembered 40 definite wrongs, 15 of them being very stupid mistakes. Probably missed way more than 40 though. Trust your practice tests. Just did uworld x2 and first aid.

Step 1: 238
NBME 6: 203 (baseline)
NBME 7: 207 (after a week of mostly reading with some questions)
~mostly paused for a 4 week rotation...didn't feel that I lost any momentum or knowledge in that time luckily~
UWSA1: 247 (after ~1 week of 120 questions/day)
NBME 8: 233 (with 5 more days of questions)
UWSA2: 245 (5 days before the exam)
Step 2 CK: 247

I didn't re-incorporate additional data that's shown up since pg 13 of this thread when I posted the following, but most of what I read looks to be following the same trend. So take your practices (I agree with someone above who said it's worth it to take the NBME's just for the sake of your nerves), focus on questions, chill. Good luck y'all.

"So far it looks like 11 posters on this thread did better on the real deal than NBME 8, compared to one who did a bit worse. Most of those also had UWSA's within about 10 points of NBME 8. That's a bit reassuring for me. A dean insisted that NBME is more predictive and UWSA tends to overestimate, but my classmates who have taken it recently mostly say UWSA was closer for them."

edit: btw I personally didn't feel like the exam was very hard, felt like a lot of familiar material, there were one or two blocks that I finished 5-7 minutes early, and no blocks felt hard. finishing early is not usually the case for me, certainly not the shelf exams which i always felt like were way more painful than either step 1 or step 2ck (no bathroom breaks!!!!), and on which i always hit average or below average with one exception.

you also have people on here who thought it was torturous and came out with crazy high scores, so i think these perceptions are largely psychological personal, you probably already know how tests tend to make you feel, and this one felt similar to step 1 for me (helped by the fact that I went to the same test center). im not a super anxious person or test taker.

Last edited:
Step 1-256 Step 2-276

Uwsa1-271, uwsa2-266, nbme 8-278

Felt horrible after the exam. Remembered 40 definite wrongs, 15 of them being very stupid mistakes. Probably missed way more than 40 though. Trust your practice tests. Just did uworld x2 and first aid.
Congrats!so proud to have this type of person in medical field!I wish the best ahead of you.Do you think Uworld +CMS+NBME enough to pass 260?

Hi Everyone I've been lurking on SDN since my premed days. Never made an account cause I figured I don't fit in with the super smart ppl here who score super high on exams. Made one today to help the below average students :) I just got my Step 2CK score and I don't have words to express how happy I am.

Started studying in May, but not seriously until June.
Step 1: 222

NBME 6: 198 (4 wks before exam, before really studying)
UWSA 1: 209 (3 wks before exam)
NBME 7: 211 (2-3 wks before exam)
NBME 8: 203 (6 days before exam, was ready to delay my exam at this point. Cried lurked on SDN, studied like a maniac, decided to keep my date and trust myself. I read that NBMEs are not super predictive and that UWSAs aren't as predictive on the lower end.)
Free 120 at exam center: 83% (3 days before exam, read online that anything about 75% meant you are ready to take it.)
UWSA 2: 211 ( 2 days before exam, I was really scared. Still stuck with my exam date, keeping in mind that UWSAs are not predictive with borderline scores.)

Step 2: 233!!!!

I am so happy with my score I could not have asked for anything more. I went through UWorld 1x during third year, reset during my dedicated, and did most of my incorrect questions. I did offline old NBME exams. Used OME, StepUpTo Medicine for topics I struggled with. MTB 1 pass. I always reviewed explanations and why I got things wrong.

Like mentioned before, NBMEs and UWSAs are not predictive when you're scoring borderline. Maybe my environment affected my scores too since its not in the prometric center. Regardless >75% on the Free 120 is really what pushed me to believe in myself and take the exam.

Walked out of the exam thinking I failed, marked 50% of questions. I was able to get to every question but only had 1-2mins to spare per block so couldn't review marked questions. So glad I took my exam and didn't delay because studying more would not have helped me. I honestly had no idea what some of the questions were even asking.

I hope this post helps someone. Good Luck!

Reactions: 7 users