USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As 2018 approaches and people are starting to rev up for their CK studying I figured I would start the 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread.

As always please follow all of the forum / NBME / USMLE etc.. rules and regulations when posting.

My dedicated starts tomorrow, have about 6 weeks to study over the holidays. Hoping for a 250 +, scored a 26x on step 1.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the input! And good luck to you as well! If you don't mind, do you mind sharing how you do on the USWA 2? It just seemed a lot harder than the first one!
I just got rocked by UWSA 2. Got a 226. Can't delay though. I'm just gonna go ahead and try to get my confidence up and take it in 5 days. May God help me..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Took CK mid-June, got score about a month ago. Had about 4 weeks of dedicated (took NBME 6 a few weeks before I started).
Used OME and UWorld throughout clerkship year. I did a research year between 3rd and 4th year, so my test was about one year after finishing rotations. Finished approximately half of UWorld during dedicated (~82%).

Step 1: 260+

NBME 6 (~7 weeks): 245
UWSA1 (3 weeks): 253
NBME 7 (2 weeks): 260
NBME 8 (1 week): 271
UWSA2 (4 days): 261

Step 2 CK: 270+

Good luck everyone! Try not to worry too much post-exam. It never feels good.

Took CK mid-June, got score about a month ago. Had about 4 weeks of dedicated (took NBME 6 a few weeks before I started).
Used OME and UWorld throughout clerkship year. I did a research year between 3rd and 4th year, so my test was about one year after finishing rotations. Finished approximately half of UWorld during dedicated (~82%).

Step 1: 260+

NBME 6 (~7 weeks): 245
UWSA1 (3 weeks): 253
NBME 7 (2 weeks): 260
NBME 8 (1 week): 271
UWSA2 (4 days): 261

Step 2 CK: 270+

Good luck everyone! Try not to worry too much post-exam. It never feels good.

Congratulations on the score and all the hard work throughout the year. That's how you get a score like this.

“Fewer than 31 days and more than 5 days before (but not including) the first day of the scheduled test date”

By first day do they mean test day? So if your exam is next Friday the 24th...would the last day to change be Aug 19th or Aug 20th?

I felt the exam was mostly guessing but I also was running out of time on every block so the questions didn’t feel much shorter, I always had extra time on assessments. I’m sure a lot of that was me trying to reason my way through the exam. I honestly cant remember feeling like I “nailed” any Qs.

Edit: now that I think about it the real deal felt like UW but those wtf ambiguous UW questions where you can’t choose between two very probable choices, except a whole exam full of them instead of a few sprinkled in lol

YUP. This is exactly how I felt, too. I feel better now reading what you all thought on this page. Totally with you guys... what the F?! It was not like UWSA2... the stems were not long and convoluted. But they were just vague and weird. So many ethics questions where multiple answers could be right and there is no way to prepare for those. SO much immunology (agree with another poster on this page). Holy hell with the immuno from step1...why? I felt like my exam had a ton of obscure stuff tested - random peds, rare concepts/diseases...not a lot of the "bread and butter medicine". I even had 4 EKGs, none of which were "easy". And 4 of those questions where you had to move the stethoscope around which wasted so much time. I had to cold guess on MANY questions (especially the drug ads). The drug ads were way longer on the real exam than what they show in uworld.

The question stems on the exam were so much shorter than uworld, and often I knew what they were getting at/the answer, but then when I read the answers.... they were awful. The answers felt like a quiz/puzzle in and of themselves. Which made for an awful exhausting exam. The answers were cryptic, vague, describing the answer. So I could get it down to two and then picked one and moved on. Awful. Really frustrated by the end of it. And I remember a bunch of easy questions I should have gotten right, but chose the wrong answer due to time and exhaustion. I'm saying a hail mary at this point. I'm praying that I end up with an OK score and that it is normal to feel this way after the exam given everyone else's responses. I feel so frustrated and defeated- trying to ignore it for the next month and stay positive.

Reactions: 5 users
YUP. This is exactly how I felt, too. I feel better now reading what you all thought on this page. Totally with you guys... what the F?! It was not like UWSA2... the stems were not long and convoluted. But they were just vague and weird. So many ethics questions where multiple answers could be right and there is no way to prepare for those. SO much immunology (agree with another poster on this page). Holy hell with the immuno from step1...why? I felt like my exam had a ton of obscure stuff tested - random peds, rare concepts/diseases...not a lot of the "bread and butter medicine". I even had 4 EKGs, none of which were "easy". And 4 of those questions where you had to move the stethoscope around which wasted so much time. I had to cold guess on MANY questions (especially the drug ads). The drug ads were way longer on the real exam than what they show in uworld.

The question stems on the exam were so much shorter than uworld, and often I knew what they were getting at/the answer, but then when I read the answers.... they were awful. The answers felt like a quiz/puzzle in and of themselves. Which made for an awful exhausting exam. The answers were cryptic, vague, describing the answer. So I could get it down to two and then picked one and moved on. Awful. Really frustrated by the end of it. And I remember a bunch of easy questions I should have gotten right, but chose the wrong answer due to time and exhaustion. I'm saying a hail mary at this point. I'm praying that I end up with an OK score and that it is normal to feel this way after the exam given everyone else's responses. I feel so frustrated and defeated- trying to ignore it for the next month and stay positive.

I also got a number of easy questions wrong because I was rushing after spending so much time trying to decipher questions. One of them I even looked at a few days before the exam and was really kicking myself about it. Yes to the drug ads/articles being wayyyy longer than UW, there was one whole set that not only took up so much time to read but the questions were so vague and worded cryptically I had no idea what they wanted from me. Fully felt like another language. I straight up picked “C” for that whole 3 question article set before timing out of the block lol
These are also all things I never experienced on nbmes or UWSAs or step 1

I took Step 2CK 3 hours ago, after leaving the test center I honestly felt like crap:(. Have a feeling that I failed for sure, literally bombed it!
My UWSA2= 215 x 4 weeks out
UWSA1= 243 x 2 days out.
But why do I feel like literally guessed a lot of questions, left the test center crying....
Anyone feels like me after step 2CK? I know every experience if different but I honestly feel so sad right now!:cryi:

I took Step 2CK 3 hours ago, after leaving the test center I honestly felt like crap:(. Have a feeling that I failed for sure, literally bombed it!
UWSA1= 243 x 2 days out.
But why do I feel like literally guessed a lot of questions, left the test center crying....
Anyone feels like me after step 2CK? I know every experience if different but I honestly feel so sad right now!:cryi:

This is exactly how I felt! I took the exam 3 days ago. And I can already remember about 15 questions that I got wrong. 15 easy ones that I would have gotten right, if it were any other day. :(

We have the same UWSA scores! I took UWSA1 two months ago and got 245. UWSA 1.5 months ago and got 222. My NBME 8 on that same day was a 203. Crazy! I then rescheduled my test to August 13th.

Hoping for just a pass at this point. This 1 month wait is killing me.

This is exactly how I felt! I took the exam 3 days ago. And I can already remember about 15 questions that I got wrong. 15 easy ones that I would have gotten right, if it were any other day. :(

We have the same UWSA scores! I took UWSA1 two months ago and got 245. UWSA 1.5 months ago and got 222. My NBME 8 on that same day was a 203. Crazy! I then rescheduled my test to August 13th.

Hoping for just a pass at this point. This 1 month wait is killing me.
Yep same here!
Would be happy with a bare minimum pass right now!! A lot of my answers were Hail Mary...

I wonder based on your experience if OME is still the go to source? Too late for me now....too deep now....but I feel like OME is very much "bread and butter". Just curious if others felt like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder based on your experience if OME is still the go to source? Too late for me now....too deep now....but I feel like OME is very much "bread and butter". Just curious if others felt like this.

Imo and what you’ll find elsewhere UW is still the main resource. I don’t have a score yet but I think beyond giving useful info it also teaches you how to have the instinct to make a best guess on questions which is the way to go with ck.
I also used MTB which I found useful on the exam but also so that I had a foundation and wasn’t going into UW blind

I tried OME and found it too time consuming and too simplistic but honestly whatever helps you make your way through UW is best.

Took CK yesterday, im glad to heard other people felt the same way. Hit a 260 on SA2 but I gave up a bunch of easy ass questions yesterday due to running out of time and exhaustion. I feel like **** honestly. Also I was kicking myself for one of those chemo side effect questions, literally never would have guessed it is 1 million years. SO much immunology, so many random ethics questions where there is no clear answer and I wouldn't have read it in a book or learned it ever.

Last edited:
Same, it was a morally depressing exam - especially once I kept missing the paired questions and knowing you missed the last question :(

Took CK yesterday, im glad to heard other people felt the same way. Hit a 260 on SA2 but I gave up a bunch of easy ass questions yesterday due to running out of time and exhaustion. I feel like **** honestly. Also I was kicking myself for one of those chemo side effect questions, literally never would have guessed it is 1 million years. SO much immunology, so many random ethics questions where there is no clear answer and I wouldn't have read it in a book or learned it ever.

Anything you could do for the immuno?

UWSA1= 243 x 2 days out.
Be strong! I took on july 2nd. My scores weren't too different from yours. The wide range of scores I had was definitely terrifying for me but you got this! If I get my scores before you I will post them! Trust the process.

Anyone else notice the UWSA percentile to score conversion is different than what the USMLE percentile predicted grades are (if that makes any sense)?

Anyone else notice the UWSA percentile to score conversion is different than what the USMLE percentile predicted grades are (if that makes any sense)?

Like how for UWSA2 a 237 (or something like that, I dont have access to it anymore) if 50th per and in real life 242 is 50th per?
I noticed and was confused by that

Anything you could do for the immuno?

Honestly no. Which is what sucks. It’s not even step 1 knowledge. I looked up not one, but two, of the questions I had when I got out and the only primary sources are actual publications in Jama and nature and even they were debating between my two answers I was between.

Be strong! I took on july 2nd. My scores weren't too different from yours. The wide range of scores I had was definitely terrifying for me but you got this! If I get my scores before you I will post them! Trust the process.
Thank you trying not to think about it. Hopefully this will end up fine. I can’t get over the fact that I missed so many easy ones and felt like I guessed a whole lot!!

Thank you trying not to think about it. Hopefully this will end up fine. I can’t get over the fact that I missed so many easy ones and felt like I guessed a whole lot!!

I wouldn’t worry too much (obviously we all can’t help worrying to some degree). The way you feel is how everyone on here has felt for as long as I’ve been seeing ck experiences.

For the one's missing the "easy" questions. Does Uworld cover it? I guess it's only natural to miss these because of fatigue.

I wouldn’t worry too much (obviously we all can’t help worrying to some degree). The way you feel is how everyone on here has felt for as long as I’ve been seeing ck experiences.
Thank you for writing me back! It helps to know that other people feel the same. I only need this to be Ecfmg certified and apply this year! Praying praying praying...

UWSA1= 243 x 2 days out.
You're not alone! It's not only hard, but really exhausting to take CK. I took my CK at end of June, and cried as well as I walked out of the center. I not only guessed on a bunch, but ran out of time on 40 qs total, that I had to randomly guess without seeing the question stem, due to pure fatigue. I felt so depressed... thought I failed for sure, but at the end day, I passed! However, I did score a few points lower than my lowest UWSA score. So hang in there and try to stop thinking about the exam!

You're not alone! It's not only hard, but really exhausting to take CK. I took my CK at end of June, and cried as well as I walked out of the center. I not only guessed on a bunch, but ran out of time on 40 qs total, that I had to randomly guess without seeing the question stem, due to pure fatigue. I felt so depressed... thought I failed for sure, but at the end day, I passed! However, I did score a few points lower than my lowest UWSA score. So hang in there and try to stop thinking about the exam!

Wow, serious??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any advice if you're a week out?

Took CK today. Pretty much echo everything people have said in this thread. So much random vagueness that it hurts my head to think about. It is so uncomfortable to have to make 50/50 guesses all the time. Practice scores for me were decent, so I am just hoping that it all works out in the end! Keep strong everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
I feel so much learned helplessness with these exams. At best I can get a general feeling that I’m probably going to pass or do ok but there’s so much vagueness with how they are scored I can’t help but feel a large part of it is chance or out of my hands. Not sure if that makes sense but it frustrates me to no end

Took CK today. Pretty much echo everything people have said in this thread. So much random vagueness that it hurts my head to think about. It is so uncomfortable to have to make 50/50 guesses all the time. Practice scores for me were decent, so I am just hoping that it all works out in the end! Keep strong everyone.

I'd say if you can get it down to 50/50 that's a good sign from some of the experiences I've read.

Thank you . I am an IMG and work full time too, right know I was accepted for a clinical rotation and I will try to get my mind off...

Tougher the exam more generous the curve, does anyone know how much truth this statement holds? Because I had a very very tough exam

Tougher the exam more generous the curve, does anyone know how much truth this statement holds? Because I had a very very tough exam

I think it’s hard to say because everyone comes out of ck feeling it was brutal. These exams are probably along the same difficulty level to help keep it standardized imo. I imagine its not so easy to keep a nice bell curve if some exams are ridiculously easy and others impossible.

I hope they do really think that!
Anyone who is waiting on results, please post about your experience and scores when you get them! Hope nobody have to re-experience this again

Any advice a week out?
Focus definitely on your weak areas. The last week I literally reviewed every note that I took from Uworld +OME on 1.75 speed. Take the free 120 questions on the USMLE website as well. Before the test day eat well and sleep well (which I couldn’t do and it screwed on the test day). I wish you the best of luck on this long marathon

Focus definitely on your weak areas. The last week I literally reviewed every note that I took from Uworld +OME on 1.75 speed. Take the free 120 questions on the USMLE website as well. Before the test day eat well and sleep well (which I couldn’t do and it screwed on the test day). I wish you the best of luck on this long marathon

Thank you very much! Wish you all the best on the results!!!!

Also, I just noted today that my permit is not available! I am sure it means nothing though...

M permit goes through September so don't know what this all means ...
Me neither. I am literally terrified and anxious about the results. It does say: print the scheduling permit, but when I click on it says permit not available! I have no idea what this means. My eligibility period ends on August 31!!

Just my two cents, but I wouldn't stress about permit disappearing/staying because mine disappeared on July 31st and that's when my eligibility period ended.

I sat for the exam mid-July, but won't get my scores on August 29th like the rest.