USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As 2018 approaches and people are starting to rev up for their CK studying I figured I would start the 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread.

As always please follow all of the forum / NBME / USMLE etc.. rules and regulations when posting.

My dedicated starts tomorrow, have about 6 weeks to study over the holidays. Hoping for a 250 +, scored a 26x on step 1.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just chiming in here. I too felt the exam was 50/50. There were sections I felt good about but some sections I felt defeated or indecisive. Format wise, I believe the exam was fair. However, like most people, I really didn’t know how I felt. Felt brutal and at the same time completely drained. Hoping all of us get the good news next week and we can all finally relax!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Are people taking it this week getting the scores on 8/29 just like everyone else FROM LAST MONTH? I'm happy for you if you are but I thought it's always 3-4 wednesdays from the date of your exam

Just my two cents, but I wouldn't stress about permit disappearing/staying because mine disappeared on July 31st and that's when my eligibility period ended.

I sat for the exam mid-July, but won't get my scores on August 29th like the rest.
Yeah you’re right. I don’t think it matters!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!
I'm an IMG
Preparing for step2ck. This is my first medical licence exam, I will give step1 later. My exam is in mid-sept. Did Uworld once now going through the incorrects and Uworld explanations and FA.
Took NBME assessments
NBME 6=210
NBME 7=239
Planning to take UWSAs 1&2 in coming weeks
Any advice you guys want to share?

I'm starting to freak out guys. I logged into my NBME account and the permit is still there (no news) but it also says "confirm or reschedule exam" .I can't remember if I had this same option before and it's freaking me out. Anybody has the same thing?

I'm starting to freak out guys. I logged into my NBME account and the permit is still there (no news) but it also says "confirm or reschedule exam" .I can't remember if I had this same option before and it's freaking me out. Anybody has the same thing?
Yeah it’s been there for a few weeks.

Yeah it’s been there for a few weeks.
ufffff !!!! I couldn't remember if that option was also there before. I think we need to get our scores already because I'm starting to get into psycho mode :nailbiting:. Thank you. Have a good day.

anyone have reason to believe august 22nd will be beginning of score release date instead of 29th? i don't wanna wait another week! :O

I don't have my hopes up for that. It would be nice, but I think it's going to be the 29th. Just use the extra week to get extra prayers/meditations/positive vibes/whatever it is you use to hope for the best!

Hi, kind of freaking out here. I am an IMG. My permit says:
Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active.
Does that mean anything? Could I get my score back this Wednesday?

Thanks!

Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active.

Thanks!

The permit thing has been so sketch for years. Don't even pay attention to it. But if you wrote 3+ weeks ago it could theoretically come this week.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
FYI for anyone waiting for scores that are in delay group from July 1st onward. I called NBME 2 weeks ago asked if the Aug. 29th was a no later date or the actual date for score release. I was told Aug. 29th would be day all scores would be released that are delayed at same time as released for Step 1 (11 am EST). Also said that because so many of us will be checking that to be patient as server will be in heavy user so may expect delays on Aug. 29th in being able to login to the server. Just passing along the information I was told...be well SDNers.

Idk if it means anything significant. I took the exam 5 days ago and it says the same thing for me. Good luck!

Thanks!

FYI for anyone waiting for scores that are in delay group from July 1st onward. I called NBME 2 weeks ago asked if the Aug. 29th was a no later date or the actual date for score release. I was told Aug. 29th would be day all scores would be released that are delayed at same time as released for Step 1 (11 am EST). Also said that because so many of us will be checking that to be patient as server will be in heavy user so may expect delays on Aug. 29th in being able to login to the server. Just passing along the information I was told...be well SDNers.

Thanks for the info! I think getting the information from the main source is always the best answer. Otherwise, it is just pure speculation.

Thanks!
I have the same thing appear

my permit is still there...
You mean the full pdf with all the scheduling permit number and stuff?I think we’re just obsessing on this, I don’t think it means anything but maybe is different for Imgs Idk! Best of luck to everyone waiting on the scores!

Yeah so I just took the thing yesterday and my permit is already gone (same "application error" message as those above). It was there this morning. I doubt it means anything.

I think it’s hard to say because everyone comes out of ck feeling it was brutal. These exams are probably along the same difficulty level to help keep it standardized imo. I imagine its not so easy to keep a nice bell curve if some exams are ridiculously easy and others impossible.

Is your permit gone?

Guys no one is getting their score back tomorrow. Everyone has to wait till the 29th. No point worrying about it till next week. Pretty sure this thread is gonna shut down since thousands will be getting their score back.

Is your permit gone?

I have the exact same error message as everyone else and my permit was good until October and also I only wrote 2 weeks ago so there would be no way for me to get it tomorrow. I think I'm probably a good example of that message just meaning you sat for the exam.

Edit: I'm also an IMG

some obvious confusion here. 1. yes, the permit disappearing really is indicative of your score coming that week from everything i’ve seen the last few years, which leads me to 2. the permit disappearing means the entire LINK disappears (i.e. there is no more blue print permit link there at all when it’s time, it’s completely gone). having the error message just means you took the test, not that your permit disappeared. hope that clears it up a bit, no CK scores are coming this week so no sense worrying

Reactions: 2 users
Quick question regarding TB kidna confusing me from OME..

If patient presents symptomatic TB i.e. high suspicion.. then..

Order CXR (do not get PPD because it takes too long?)
--> if positive --> isolate + RIPE?
--> if negative --> get AFB and send home --> if positive --> start RIPE

Can anyone confirm this?

Look at the immunology, some medication side effects. I read the rapid review chapter from first aid Step2ck . Also watched the videos on omed for biostatistics! Good luck
what's a good source for immuno for step 2?

Can someone who is a US MD student who's waiting for CK scores confirm that they get the "Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active." when they click on Print Permit? Seen so many conflicting things about this...

Can someone who is a US MD student who's waiting for CK scores confirm that they get the "Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active." when they click on Print Permit? Seen so many conflicting things about this...

This is exactly how it is for me!

Same here. It has looked like that since I took the exam.

UWSA2-236 6 days out
UWSA1-247 2 days out

Don't know what else to do. I still have that weird feeling that I don't know enough and will get tanked on test day with stuff I don't feel confident in. Any advice?

Whether or not this permit trick works, its well known that anyone who took the test from June 30th to mid-August will receive their score on the 29th. Ergo, some permit trick isn't going to work during an atypical reporting cycle. The release date is the 29th, nothing will change that unless the NBME announces a new round of cruelty. My permit has said this since the 2nd half of July. Doesn't mean anything at this point.

UWSA2-236 6 days out
UWSA1-247 2 days out

Don't know what else to do. I still have that weird feeling that I don't know enough and will get tanked on test day with stuff I don't feel confident in. Any advice?
I went from 215 on UWSA 2 - 4 weeks out to 243 on UWSA 1- 2 days before!
I would suggest to not study anymore tonight, review the autoimmune disease Ab right before leaving for the test(I always used to get them wrong). Relax and trust your self! After the test, I you feel miserable, just remember you’re not alone... Praying for you #yougotthis

Took it yesterday. It was definitely a difficult exam. I can't say it wasn't fair, although there was some random stuff that you couldn't prep for. But UW turned out to be really all you need. I found timing to be pretty good. The stems were a combo of UW-like long stems and NBME-like short stems. Definitely more short stems than really long ones though. I consistently had ~10+ minutes remaining after each block. Fatigue was a big factor; 9 hours of testing is brutal. I don't know why I felt such a big difference between 7 blocks on Step 1 and 8 blocks on Step 2.

Oh, and I had a panic attack during my 2nd block. I had to take an unscheduled break in the middle of a block, literally run outside, and jog around to control my breathing and pray/calm myself. Came back to finish the block on time thankfully. Middle blocks blurred together and were fine, but then I had more breathing issues in the last block. It was probably exacerbated by the fact that the AC stopped working and it was just the fan for the 2nd half of the exam. Can't prepare for that stuff and just gotta roll with the punches. By the end, I was basically the meme with the dog surrounded by fire saying "this is fine." Now the wait begins. Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 6 users
Took it yesterday. It was definitely a difficult exam. I can't say it wasn't fair, although there was some random stuff that you couldn't prep for. But UW turned out to be really all you need. I found timing to be pretty good. The stems were a combo of UW-like long stems and NBME-like short stems. Definitely more short stems than really long ones though. I consistently had ~10+ minutes remaining after each block. Fatigue was a big factor; 9 hours of testing is brutal. I don't know why I felt such a big difference between 7 blocks on Step 1 and 8 blocks on Step 2.

Oh, and I had a panic attack during my 2nd block. I had to take an unscheduled break in the middle of a block, literally run outside, and jog around to control my breathing and pray/calm myself. Came back to finish the block on time thankfully. Middle blocks blurred together and were fine, but then I had more breathing issues in the last block. It was probably exacerbated by the fact that the AC stopped working and it was just the fan for the 2nd half of the exam. Can't prepare for that stuff and just gotta roll with the punches. By the end, I was basically the meme with the dog surrounded by fire saying "this is fine." Now the wait begins. Good luck to you all!
Good luck to you!
Had an asthma attack during the test but got myself together! The closer to the score report day, the more anxious I am

Reactions: 5 users

Good to know someone else had ~10 mins remaining per block. I had the same experience and was nervous that I didn’t pay attention or was too fast.
Oh and I had no AC too. There was just one fan that was facing the other side. I took the practice test for the very same reason and was very comfortable but on the exam day, not so much.
Good luck to all of us!

Hey guys... I'm an IMG.. honestly is 4 full month's enough for exam prep? Got in 220s in step 1...pretty bummed about it....cuz the nbmes showed me a better score...way better score...

Can anyone give honest opinion?

Hey guys... I'm an IMG.. honestly is 4 full month's enough for exam prep? Got in 220s in step 1...pretty bummed about it....cuz the nbmes showed me a better score...way better score...

Can anyone give honest opinion?
4 months are more than enough! Qbank, Qbank, Qbank....Qbank again as the main study tool! I watched all the videos of OMED! Step up to Medicine was a great book but it was to long to finish so I just used it as reference for weak areas. I used first aid step 2ck for rapid review the last week!

I literally just answered this lol. permit disappearing means the entire link to print permit disappears, meaning if you can click a print permit link, yours didn’t disappear. that error message means nothing

For those who have taken the test.. is it true that blocks containing abstracts would have 38 questions?

Or is there a chance that abstract questions are in 40 question blocks as well?

For those who have taken the test.. is it true that blocks containing abstracts would have 38 questions?

Or is there a chance that abstract questions are in 40 question blocks as well?
Correct, abstract blocks will be 38 questions. I had 2 random blocks like that, both 38 questions long.

How do you guys prepare for these abstract questions? is UW enough for these questions, because I have not found any abstract questions yet (in UW)