USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As 2018 approaches and people are starting to rev up for their CK studying I figured I would start the 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread.

As always please follow all of the forum / NBME / USMLE etc.. rules and regulations when posting.

My dedicated starts tomorrow, have about 6 weeks to study over the holidays. Hoping for a 250 +, scored a 26x on step 1.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First time poster here. US IMG
Step1: 218
UWSA1: 241 3 weeks out
NBME 6: 190..2 weeks out. dont know what happened..
Free 120: 83%

UW 1st pass: random 60%.. still 20% to go...

Taking nbme 8 tomorrow..
My test is on Sept 24..
Hopefully ill get a good score to boost up my confidence for UWSA2

Any thoughts/advice???

Hey Golfdoctor, I am currently in the same boat after Nbme 6. That's pretty impressive that your jumped so many points. I wish you great success on your exam in a few days.

If you dont mind me asking....what did you do between Nbme 6 and now?

:)
I got score right now step 2ck 251!
Congratulations!!!

Step 2ck Exam test date 8/28/18.
At 8:29am today, I got an email from Ecfmg that my scores were out!
Step 2ck score= 221. I am happy and I thank God I passed. it’s a good/decent enough score for me. Could have been better but i’ll Take it this time around :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations!!!

At 8:29am today, I got the email my scores were out!
Step 2ck score= 221. I am happy and I thank God I passed. it’s a good or decent enough score for me. Could have been better but i’ll Take it this time around :)
Congratulations!!You did it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Golfdoctor, I am currently in the same boat after Nbme 6. That's pretty impressive that your jumped so many points. I wish you great success on your exam in a few days.

The UWSA tests are slept on. Definitely do your best to thoroughly go through your remaining Uworld q bank. But the uwsa tests are golden. Take them early enough (now!!!) and go through your our right/wrong questions thoroughly!!! You will not be disappointed!!!

Last edited:
Congratulations!!!

Step 2ck score= 221. I am happy and I thank God I passed. it’s a good/decent enough score for me. Could have been better but i’ll Take it this time around :)
Did you do that step 3 trick

Congratulations!!!

Congrats! Would you mind sharing your assessment scores? My exam is in 2 weeks!

Hey there!! Honestly I dont know what happened in nbme6. I got like 40 qs wrong which was like a 70%. The curve on that exam is tough. But what I did was the following.

My weakest areas were Nervous System, Cardio, and obgyn. So I did uworld on those subjects tutor mode for a couple of days. It is hard because you get a lot of qs wrong. But you have to remember that Uworld is a learning tool.
Two days before I took Nbme 8 I kept doing random blocks in uworld and saw onlinemeded for my weak areas.
I did a couple of blocks of biostats, and reviewed psych pharm and side effect/treatment, and substance abuse.

I also spent a little more time on neuro. Spinal cord lesions, dementia, and ortho-nerve lesions.

My advice:
Before assesements review the following.
Screening
Post exposure prophilaxis
HIV
TB
STDS (genital Ulcers)
Urinary Incontinence
Murmur disease
Auto- antibodies in rheum.
Psych drugs and side effects
Dementia and Mood disorders.

I hope this helps you. Im taking Uwsa 2 tomorrow so ill be reviewing these today.

Good luck my friend!!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! Would you mind sharing your assessment scores? My exam is in 2 weeks!

My personal experience/Opinion: My step 2ck UWSA scores were bad. UWSA 1= 215; UWSA 2= 203. I got questions wrong I felt I had no business failing. Reading a book/re-doing the Uworld qbank in a short amount of time (4weeks) to my exam was a no go for me. I was also tired/burnt out/ very anxious too. my Uworld q bank was 91% complete my score average was 67%. I stopped doing my q bank at this point.

I decided to review my jottings and prior UWSA tests (questions& answers) thoroughly (I did not have time to do this as thoroughly as I could have). I tried to understand why 1 answer was right and why the others were wrong. I also Paid again to re-do the uwsa tests (this was within 2 weeks to my actual test date). Also, the uwsa tests are comprehensive enough in terms of the amount of concepts you can review by thoroughly reviewing. (I.e after you have done enough preparation..studying etc)

I did not completely finish each test but I was scoring greater than 70% -74% on each block. I did this to make sure, I was actively reviewing and understanding my jottings & uwsa tests.

Uptodate was a good resource for reviewing some concepts I needed more clarity on. It was precise, easy to understand and straight to the point

Also starting a new job at the E.D Dept as an E.D tech before i took my exam did not help matters even though I was grateful for the opportunity o_O ;)

My personal experience/Opinion: My step 2ck UWSA scores were bad. UWSA 1= 215; UWSA 2= 203. I got questions wrong I felt I had no business failing. Reading a book/re-doing the Uworld qbank in a short amount of time (4weeks) to my exam was a no go for me. I was also tired/burnt out/ very anxious too. my Uworld q bank was 91% complete my score average was 67%. I stopped doing my q bank at this point.

I decided to review my jottings and prior UWSA tests (questions& answers) thoroughly (I did not have time to do this as thoroughly as I could have). I tried to understand why 1 answer was right and why the others were wrong. I also Paid again to re-do the uwsa tests (this was within 2 weeks to my actual test date). Also, the uwsa tests are comprehensive enough in terms of the amount of concepts you can review by thoroughly reviewing. (I.e after you have done enough preparation..studying etc)

I did not completely finish each test but I was scoring greater than 70% -74% on each block. I did this to make sure, I was actively reviewing and understanding my jottings & uwsa tests.

Uptodate was a good resource for reviewing some concepts I needed more clarity on. It was precise, easy to understand and straight to the point

Also starting a new job at the E.D Dept as an E.D tech before i took my exam did not help matters even though I was grateful for the opportunity o_O ;)
Congrats on finally being done with CK.

May I ask, what do you do as an E.D tech? Im not applying for this years match and I would like to get a jon in somethin medical related.

This helped me while I agonized over my score, so I wanted to return the favor -

Step 1 254
School's NBME CCSE >250
UWSA 1 265
NBME 7 245
NBME 8 249
UWSA 2 255
Actual: 260

Thought the test was awful, worse than nbmes and UWSAs, so I was prepping my booty for a much worse score. I am very pleased to say the least!

I'd rec uworld with note taking. Focus on risk factors, most common sequelae/comorbidities, and measures for improving mortality. My biostatistics questions were harder than what I encountered on step 1, but YMMV.

Good luck and happy studying/ERAS season everybody!

As an E.D Tech at my job I play the role of nursing supporting I.e i get to put in IV lines, Draw blood, perform EKGs, perform Urinary Caths, Assist in Stroke/Cardiac Code Situations by performing the all the prior things i’ve Listed and CPR, etc.

Additional things include, setting the patient up in their assigned E.D room for O2 therapy and BP, Pulse Ox, EKG-monitoring on the monitors in the patient’s room, the nurses and Physician stations. Assisting patients with caring for patients who are too sick/unable to control/handle certain activities of daily living :)

Got my score today, took the exam 08/24.

Step 1: 245
NBME 6 (6 weeks before): 230
UWSA 1 (5 weeks before): 255
NBME 8 (3 weeks before): 230
UWSA 2 (1 week before): 244

Step 2 CK: 244

The 1 point drop from step 1 isn't ideal, but given that I felt like I guessed on half of the exam I'm more than happy with it. Had about 6 weeks during easy electives but only really studied for 2.5-3 (had step 2 CS in the middle of it and just didn't have motivation to study). It felt like it was much harder than the NBMEs (didn't like these at all, just vague questions) or UWSAs. UWSA 2 seems to be pretty predictive.

Last edited:
Long time Lurker.

Background:
- Peruvian IMG , YOG 2016
- Step 1: 251 (09/27/17)
- Step 2ck: 252 (08/28/18)

Time of Prep: 9- 10 months

Assessment (weeks before test)
- NBME 4: 231-238 (30 wrong/184q) (6-7 weeks)
- NBME 6: 256 (5 weeks)
- NBME 7: 243 (3 1/2 weeks) *hardest
- UWSA1: 262 (3 weeks)
- NBME 8: 241 (2 weeks 1/2)
- Free 120q: 91%
- UWSA 2: 248 (1 day)

Real deal: 252

Study material:
  • UWorld x 2
    • First --> Wised mode. End %: 82%
    • Second --> Random mode. End %: 95%
  • MTB 2 & MTB 3ck
  • Uptodate
  • OnlineMeded: Free online videos (all)
Recommendations:
  • Most important resource is Uworld. I made my own notes and make a huge file with some MTB information and all the uworld notes.
  • MTB is ok but I think not necessary. Is too much superficial for the step 2ck
  • Uptodate: used it for almost every doubt regarding management/diagnostic steps to assess acurracy and further knowledege of uworld
  • OnlineMeded: great resource. I consider that all the videos of Dystin Williams explain in an easy way a good aproach of almost all topics that are relevant for the step 2ck. Even there are some information that is inacurate, in terms of contradiction, focus on the information provided in UWorld and UPTD.
  • Day test: I think that the test is brutal. 9 hours of test is insane, and most of the questions are long with multiple images and X-rays. I finished almost every block with no time remaining to check my marks (around 3-5 for each block). I take breaks in every block (5-5-10-15-5-10-10). I was sure of my answer in almost 30-50%, I had 2 options in my mind in 40% of my questions, and the last 10% I didn't know and I made an educated guess. Do not understimate this test, even your chance to have a great score are higher comparing with step 1, you must be prepared, specially with the timing.
Conclusion: Recalling the words of Dr. Turco, you have a bless mind and hard work can overcome everything but don't understimate the boards.

Last edited:
Long time Lurker.

Background:
- Peruvian IMG , YOG 2016
- Step 1: 251 (09/27/17)
- Step 2ck: 252 (08/28/18)

Time of Prep: 9- 10 months

Assessment (weeks before test)
- NBME 4: 231-238 (30 wrong/184q) (6-7 weeks)
- NBME 6: 256 (5 weeks)
- NBME 7: 243 (3 1/2 weeks) *hardest
- UWSA1: 262 (3 weeks)
- NBME 8: 241 (2 weeks 1/2)
- UWSA 2: 248 (1 day)

Real deal: 252

Study material:
  • UWorld x 2
    • First --> Wised mode. End %: 82%
    • Second --> Random mode. End %: 95%
  • MTB 2 & MTB 3ck
  • Uptodate
  • OnlineMeded: Free online videos (all)
Recommendations:
  • Most important resource is Uworld. I made my own notes and make a huge file with some MTB information and all the uworld notes.
  • MTB is ok but I think not necessary. Is too much superficial for the step 2ck
  • Uptodate: used it for almost every doubt regarding management/diagnostic steps to assess acurracy and further knowledege of uworld
  • OnlineMeded: great resource. I consider that all the videos of Dystin Williams explain in an easy way a good aproach of almost all topics that are relevant for the step 2ck. Even there are some information that is inacurate, in terms of contradiction, focus on the information provided in UWorld and UPTD.
  • Day test: I think that the test is brutal. 9 hours of test is insane, and most of the questions are long with multiple images and X-rays. I finished almost every block with no time remaining to check my marks (around 3-5 for each block). I take breaks in every block (5-5-10-15-5-10-10). I was sure of my answer in almost 30-50%, I had 2 options in my mind in 40% of my questions, and the last 10% I didn't know and I made an educated guess. Do not understimate this test, even your chance to have a great score are higher comparing with step 1, you must be prepared, specially with the timing.
Conclusion: Recalling the words of Dr. Turco, you have a bless mind and hard work can overcome everything but don't understimate the boards.
Congrats now time for ceviche

Adding since this thread was helpful for me when I was studying!

Step 1: 247

NBME shelves during clerkships- 79 average
First pass of UW during clerkships, second pass during dedicated 75% correct
USMLErx after finished UW- 50% completed, 75% correct

UWSA1 (prior to dedicated): 238
NBME 8: 230
UWSA2 (1 week out): 252

Step 2: 256

Reactions: 3 users
Hey there!! Honestly I dont know what happened in nbme6. I got like 40 qs wrong which was like a 70%. The curve on that exam is tough. But what I did was the following.

My weakest areas were Nervous System, Cardio, and obgyn. So I did uworld on those subjects tutor mode for a couple of days. It is hard because you get a lot of qs wrong. But you have to remember that Uworld is a learning tool.
Two days before I took Nbme 8 I kept doing random blocks in uworld and saw onlinemeded for my weak areas.
I did a couple of blocks of biostats, and reviewed psych pharm and side effect/treatment, and substance abuse.

I also spent a little more time on neuro. Spinal cord lesions, dementia, and ortho-nerve lesions.

My advice:
Before assesements review the following.
Screening
Post exposure prophilaxis
HIV
TB
STDS (genital Ulcers)
Urinary Incontinence
Murmur disease
Auto- antibodies in rheum.
Psych drugs and side effects
Dementia and Mood disorders.

I hope this helps you. Im taking Uwsa 2 tomorrow so ill be reviewing these today.

Good luck my friend!!

Yes. Nbme 6 was weird. I got an average of 70-73% as well. But what I find interesting about your analysis is that NEURO, CARDIO and Renal are my weakest areas too. So I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I havent spent dedicated time to each individually but I have focused more on the explanations during my random blocks. But I will take your advice and do some system based blocks on my weak areas.
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!

Is is reasonable to say that the 9/5 people who took CK will get their scores next Wednesday? I need my darn score for ERAS lol. Congrats to everyone else who made it!

Hey Guys since I benefit very much from here ı want to share my experience!
I am an IMG (YOG2008) working in a university hospitol as a plastic surgeon in my country .Step 1 244
Preperation time for CK 3 months
Uworld q bank one time%75
Kaplan qbank one time%68
Master of board 2ck
UWSA1 265 4w
UWSA2 252 2w
Kaplan self assesment 1 %72
Kaplan self assesment 2 %77
Free %90
I didnt do NBME
Real Deal 251 (UWSA2 most predicted for me)
Now Im preaparing for step 2 CS Appreciate for your valuable advice guys what should I do for this exam?

Last edited:
Hey Guys since I benefit very much from here ı want to share my experience!
I am an IMG (YOG2008) working in a university hospitol as a plastic surgeon in my country .Step 1 244
Preperation time for CK 3 months
Uworld q bank one time%75
Kaplan qbank one time%68
Master of board 2ck
UWSA1 265 4w
UWSA2 252 2w
Kaplan self assesment 1 %72
Kaplan self assesment 2 %77
Free %90
I didnt do NBME
Real Deal 251 (UWSA2 most predicted for me)
Now Im preaparing for step 2 CS Appreciate for your valuable advice guys what should I do for this exam?
Planning on trying to match into plastics here? Also, read First Aid for Step 2 CS and try to practice as much as you can

Actually planning for a fellowship ! Hope I can! Do you think first aid cs sufficient? Thank you very much for reply

I thought first aid CS was sufficient. Read the entire book once or twice and practice some cases and you should be fine. Good luck!

I mean I took mine later and expect mine next week

For people who take CK on a Monday, are scores released the 3rd or 4th Wednesday after? I took mine Mon 9/17 and don't know if the expected date for scores would be 10/3 or 10/10. Thanks

Actually planning for a fellowship ! Hope I can! Do you think first aid cs sufficient? Thank you very much for reply

FA is enough, but u gotta practice with a partner dont study alone. Make sure u time urself and practice typing notes. Remember if you fail one component you fail the whole thing.

For people who take CK on a Monday, are scores released the 3rd or 4th Wednesday after? I took mine Mon 9/17 and don't know if the expected date for scores would be 10/3 or 10/10. Thanks
I’ll let you know next Wednesday. I took mine a week before you