USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

Discussion in 'Step II' started by Qester, Dec 13, 2017.

1. gigabyte237

wrote today.it was hell but i can remember most of the questions. it feels like a truck just hit me. whoever started that rhetoric" uworld only is enough" needs prayers and scourging.

DocSpy332 likes this.
  2. DocSpy332

Medical Student
    yes of course!
    nbme 6 (baseline 10w out) :225
    nbme 7 (6w out) :215
    uwsa 1 (6w out) :247
    nbme 8 (2.5w out) :243
    uwsa 2 (1.5w out) :260s (however thats not a true score bc I cheated in some qs-found it so hard that I was desperate :p )
    uw% :77%

graduatedoc230 likes this.
  3. Doc2b82

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    do you mind sharing what made you thing uworld wasnt enough? I am about to take the test in 3 weeks or so....got any last minute tips? what did you feel might have helped you more in terms of prep. TIA

4. AugustMay

Congrats everyone! Some amazing scores on this board. I was a different student who was really just hoping to pass the exam. I just wanted to encourage others out there really struggling in their preparation for Step 2CK. I took NBME 8 one week before my exam and got a 200. I just got my score today and got a 231. Not an amazing score, but I was just so happy to have passed the exam. You can do it!

I heard the UWSA's are better predictors but I didn't take any.. stay away from the NBME's! My confidence was completely crushed after NBME 8.

5. gigabyte237

seriously ,i cant name a single qbank which will help you grade risk factors in order of importance. revise endocrino from uw3 pay attention to the use of lispro and glargine insuln. orthopedics from amboss. biostatistics and ethics from uw3. this will get you,easy points in the exam.

Northerncardinal likes this.
  6. emxlauis

NBME's = 230, 240, 250
    UWSA = 240, 250

real score = 250's

Thank you everyone for your tips. I probably still will have a difficult time matching given that my step1 is 50 points lower (personal problems). Even though it is not an impressive score, im still very happy that I can prove to myself I can do about average

#2056 emxlauis, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  7. Wipp

question for the ones who recently wrote step2ck - how is the question style compared to uworld and nbme? more like uworld (long questions stems w lots of information) or like nbme (very short questions)

imo uworld and nbme are totally different and require different strategies...

Doc2b82 likes this.
  8. Doc2b82

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    curious to know this as well

9. graduatedoc230

I had mixed question stems. Many questions were only 2 to 3 liners. Psychiatry questions are almost the same length as given in Uworld. I personally think it's just the vagueness of the questions that delays your answer selection otherwise the exam is pretty close to uworld, uwsas and nbme. It's a blend of all.

FriendlyFH likes this.
  10. Wipp

THX - I agree, vagueness is worse than long stems. 2 liners usually take me longer than long stems...

FriendlyFH likes this.
  11. FriendlyFH

FriendlyFH Arf medicine
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Totally agree. For me there was one question where it's just two liner and a picture of magnified....very unclean...round...body part....and four very closely related things that could happen to that place....and as you guys know the resolution of image on the test is a joke so I had to full screen it....and for about a min I was like this and it was a soft guess.
    6f26c09a42fb09b28b816dbc6b4bae25.gif

#2061 FriendlyFH, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  12. DocSpy332

Medical Student
    Definitely more like uw. NBMEs were not even close for me.
    I will agree that you may have some short questions but the majority is more like uw ( long stems) while I also got some (not many) really long questions. I also agree that psych questions are almost the same like in uw.
    Indeed the problem is the vagueness. I personally had a lot of 50-50 choices and many questions where I knew the answer but I eventually couldn't find my answer in the choices :(

Wipp likes this.
  13. pmartinezmd

Hello, Im new in this forum, as a member, but ive been reading your threats from a long time. I took my step 2 ck on 10/23 and cant wait for the results to arrive! Im so nervous, I cried after I came out of the test because i feel that I failed big time. I dont remember my UWSA score, but i know i did not pass. I took the UWSA2 10 days before my test and got a 220. Which made me feel really good at the time considering that i thought i failed big time while i was taking it! Right now i just wish I go to sleep and wake up and have my test scores in the email. Hope everybody is doing fine. BTW i got 2 blocks where I had 3 questions from studies... plus more biostats question in the same block! Cant barely recall any question.... is this a general feeling??.. Can I expect my score on the 7 (3 Wednesdays after the test) or the 14?

14. vacterl

Medical Student
    It's pretty common feeling I guess, I got a relatively high score, after I feel like I failed for sure in step1, I am waiting for my ck now, have the same feeling again. That's the curse of the real deal, you can't escape it I guess.
    You should expect your results on 4th wed

15. pmartinezmd

Thanks for the reply. Good luck to you too! I hope we pass! may God help us!

#2065 pmartinezmd, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    vacterl likes this.
  16. DocSpy332

Medical Student
    I think that the results come out the third week, after your exam, on Wednsday (which is not always the third Wednsday after your exam).
    I dont know whether it is a general feeling or not, what I know is that I have literally no idea how I did (eg I will not be surprised if someone says to me that I failed, while I would also not be surprised if I receive a 250s... that's a kinda weird feeling that I didnt have after step 1..)

vacterl and pmartinezmd like this.
  17. doctordoctormd1

5+ Year Member

Has anyone recently taken step 2 but IWA website is still allowing to extend the test window? Is this normal?

18. vacterl

Medical Student
    I was wondering what's this permit thing? How is that supposed to related to your score release?
    Kindly help please

19. pmartinezmd

The feeling is so mutual! Thanks. Ill keep you guys updated when I get the scores! Good luck in your journey

vacterl likes this.
  20. .hematoma.

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I want to provide a follow up, since I was freaking out thinking that I failed. I got in the 250s, so trust your practice tests folks.

APA 32, DocSpy332 and vacterl like this.
  21. pmartinezmd

Congratulations, great scores!!!... When did you take your exams????

22. .hematoma.

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    October 12

23. pmartinezmd

my scheduling permit dissapeard today.... and i took my test on 10/23/18... do you think it means that Ill get my results this weds?

#2073 pmartinezmd, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  24. vacterl

Medical Student
    I sat down for mine at 15th oct. Permit is still there ???

25. Wipp

UWSA 1: 252
    NBME 6: 228
    NBME 7: 220
    NBME 8: 228
    UWSA 2: 250
    Uworld 1st turn 64%
    Uworld 2nd turn 93%

Exam in 3 days...

Anyone who had a similar experience with that huge UW to NBME difference?

26. Questionarius

Are you a USMD? I took mine the same day as you but there’s still a link to my scheduling permit. Does that mean I failed?

P.S. When I click on the link it says “Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active.”

27. pmartinezmd

I’m an IMG, I’m not sure what it means, last Friday it said what yours says now... and i think it’s still too early. Also. My scheduling permit expired on the 10/31... so I’m not sure if it disappeared because of that.... but again... on 11/1 was there...

28. pmartinezmd

Im not sure what it means... can someone please help and elaborate a little of what this could mean. Thanks

vacterl likes this.
  29. Questionarius

In that case, I think it’s probably because your permit expired. I’ve never heard of someone getting a USMLE score sooner than 3 weeks after their test.

30. pmartinezmd

Thanks... I guess I will have to wait until Wednesday to see

31. vacterl

Medical Student
    It's gone now

32. Questionarius

Are you a US MD?

33. vacterl

Medical Student
    Nope

34. pmartinezmd

wish you all the best.... tomorrow Ill let you know if i received the score... for now I think mine disappeared because it expired.

35. pmartinezmd

Hello!!! Any good news??? I did not received my scores today

36. vacterl

Medical Student
    Step1 248
    Nbme6 (2 months back) 241
    Uwsa1 ( 1months back) 249
    Uwsa2 (3 weeks back) 234
    Worked on my weaknesses instead of repeating everything
    Free120( 1 week back) %88
    Real deal 249
    Just used uw2, did it twice, also 4 tests from cms( weak areas) 300 qs from uw3(weak areas)
    No book used.
    Good luck to everybody.
    I know it's not a super score, but I am happy with it. My advice is keep your confidence up as much as possible. Try not to take exams which is very hard in the end of preparation. Instead choose a easy one to keep your confidence boosted. You will do better in exam. That's what I believe. This way you are not going to doubt yourself too much, and save time

PugsAndHugs likes this.
  37. vacterl

Medical Student
    Hopefully you are gonna get it next week, dont worry

38. GratefulDoc123

Medical Student
    Received my score this morning, figured I'd share my experience since this thread has helped me.

Had just under 4 weeks of dedicated. I only used UW + NBMEs to study. Key for me was studying my butt off throughout 3rd year and doing well on the shelf exams (average of all 7 shelf exams was ~88 raw). Used Uworld HEAVILY throughout the year (about 2x through by my last shelf). Also used OMED throughout the year. Taking all of the NBMEs and reviewing them thoroughly was invaluable. This is a must.

UWSA 1 (5 weeks out): 269
    UWSA 2 (4 weeks out): 264
    NBME 6 (3 weeks out): 271
    NBME 7 (2 weeks out): 258
    NBME 8 (1.5 weeks out): 258
    Real thing: 270+

Test day: This test was very difficult. I came out of it feeling as though I under-performed, and was expecting something in the range of my lower practice test scores. I thought there were a number of very vague questions; in fact there were a few were I am almost positive there were 2 answers which were equally correct. My timing was a bit of an issue as well; I finished each section with about 1 minute left. I may have benefited from a harder than average exam, and thus a more generous curve.

gigabyte237, DrDuck2 and PugsAndHugs like this.
  39. rev0

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Go through your uworld incorrects and make flashcards using anki for the knowledge you're missing. repeat this until test date.

40. pmartinezmd

Really happy for you... I think that it’s an excellent score !! Good luck in your future ventures

41. pmartinezmd

I haven’t received my scores yet, I found the test to be very hard... but as I can see in your post, you are doing fine, the UWSA2 for me was harder than the 1. Do as much uworld as you can. And what I was really grateful to do the day before the test was doing a rapid review that it was at the end of first aid for step 1 and review some stuff that I got to use on test day! Just pray and stay positive thru the test and you will be fine. Good luck

42. PugsAndHugs

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Congratulations! Question, if you finished Uworld x2 before dedicated, then what did you do during dedicated?

43. GratefulDoc123

Medical Student
    So I did them again, but I paid more attention to the answer explanations and tried to pick up something new from each question, even if it was a question that I remembered. I almost always did Uworld on tutor mode. One thing I failed to mention is that I also used AMBOSS. I thought that AMBOSS had many excellent board-style questions, but I noticed that some of the questions tested minutiae that I knew was not going to be tested by the NBME. So instead, I used the "learning cards," which is a feature of AMBOSS that I found to be incredible. I also experimented with a few review books towards the end of my studying. I first tried Master the Boards, but actually did not find it helpful. I then tried First Aid for Step2 CK, which I thought was excellent and wished I had perused it earlier in my studying.

PugsAndHugs likes this.
  44. DBT342

hey..congrats to those who got their scores this week!

I did uwsa2 today and found it very hard compared to uwsa1. I missed about 4 - 5 questions due to time issues. I dont usually have any time issues with uworld per say. I can usually finish uworld blocks with 15-20 mins left.

Did uwsa1 last month: 267
    uwsa2: 253 :(
    nbme 8 (also done today): 258

Exam in a week. what do u guys think?? Did u also find uwsa2 hard and how is it compared to the real deal?
    Aiming for a 260+..what else can I do in the last few days guyz?

45. Haris kazman

Depemds on the gap between uwsa1 and 2..i had a 1 month gap and got the same score as uwsa1.and yeah uwsa2 qs are confusing as compared to uwsa1 which are straightforward

46. Safa10

I never did anki. And I think I don’t have time to do it now . Only10 days

47. Safa10

Thanks. I hope my score improves

48. Wipp

Definitely, I couldn‘t agree more...
    UWSA2 was a good deal harder that UWSA1 but having taken the real thing just today my impression was that the real exam was closest to UWSA2 in terms of question design.

A lot of question where they gave you a very typical vignette - for example for a classic vignette that screams ovarian teratoma - then you look at the answer choices and it‘s just not there and you‘re like wtf???

DBT342 likes this.
  49. DBT342

congrats on getting done mate!

uwsa2 really freaked me out! I realized i was spending more time on questions in the beginning of the block as i was stuck between 2 options in some questions and had to figure out points in ruling in/out those options.which took time and this made me rush on the later questions. I hope this doesn't happen on the exam day.

btw which systems were heavily tested on ur exam? and how did you manage the breaks in between.

Wipp likes this.
  50. Wipp

- Really a ton of OBGYN questions (i felt more than in nbme and uwsa) - majority ob complications - for example i had to quite similar cases of umbilical cord prolapse...

- GI was also pretty heavy (all sorts of abdominal pain and and bloody bowel movements

- surprisingly little cardio and psych

- quite a lot of biostats - i had 3 pharmacologic study abstracts which are damn time consuming

this was just my impression... maybe that is because i lost most of the time on these topics...

you will face the challenge of vague and ambivalent questions a lot, at this point it is important to force yourself to move on - i made it a rule for myself if i was after 1.5-2mins still not able to decide for an answer i moved on

i managed the timing as follows: 2 blocks, 10mins break, 2 blocks 20mins break, then every block 10mins - idk how it will be for you but i wouldn‘t expect to save too much time from being done early in a block (in step one i had 15mins left after most blocks)

hope that helps...

DBT342 likes this.