Official 2019-2020 Endocrinology fellowship match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drkhan.endo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, it's almost time for the applications to go in. Who's applying for endo this year ? Have the spots gone down since last year?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, it's almost time for the applications to go in. Who's applying for endo this year ? Have the spots gone down since last year?

I’m applying as well. I'm making the last edits to ERAS and my personal statement this weekend.

No clue about the number of spots--I guess when NRMP opens we'll get a better sense of how many are offered this cycle at least on a program by program basis.

Good luck to all!

I'm in! How many programs are you all applying to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying!! Have my app almost ready.
Limited by geographic area so won't be applying to that many programs (still thinking how many would be a safe thing so don't have a number yet)

I have about ~35 programs listed. I'm limited geographically too. How many endocrine faculty letters do you guys have?
Do we mention electives and observerships we did prior to residency in the ERAS CV or no? One of my seniors said not to and just mention relevant experience acquired during residency (eg: away electives)

Last edited:
Also my personal statement is less than a page long. Hope that's okay

There's a new endocrinology program in New Jersey which got approved after the match in December 2018, so that's 2 more spots. Not sure if they managed to fill and start their first fellows this month. Otherwise endocrinology completely filled last year I think?

There's a new endocrinology program in New Jersey which got approved after the match in December 2018, so that's 2 more spots. Not sure if they managed to fill and start their first fellows this month. Otherwise endocrinology completely filled last year I think?
No it didn’t

What are the thoughts about programs that include VA training in addition to the main hospital sites? Is it more experience or more nuisance?

What are the thoughts about programs that include VA training in addition to the main hospital sites? Is it more experience or more nuisance?

I have no idea. They do use a different EMR

Which one is that?

Not specific to Endo, but VA rotations/clinics offer a great deal of trainee autonomy. The downside is that they also often have much less support/backup.

I loved my residency and fellowship clinics at the VA. But I don't think I could be FT staff there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it bad to apply to 2 different programs (geriatrics and endo) at one university each having the same training program administrator/coordinator but different PD

Last year 306 of 326 positions filled. There were 363 applicants, of which 57 went unmatched - total of a 84.3% match rate, which is not significantly changed from prior. Presumably most of the remaining 20 positions were filled by some of the unmatched applicants, so it was a total match rate of ~90% (being about ~10% more applicants than the total # of spots).

Not specific to Endo, but VA rotations/clinics offer a great deal of trainee autonomy. The downside is that they also often have much less support/backup.

I loved my residency and fellowship clinics at the VA. But I don't think I could be FT staff there.

That's true. The other issue I think depends on proximity of the VA to the main university centers. Next door or <10-15 min drive away is not the end of the world. If it is any further, that would seem frustrating.

On a side note, does it matter if your application is submitted up to a week after ERAS opening? Still waiting on a LOR to be uploaded. Surely programs wait a few days before offering interviews.

That's true. The other issue I think depends on proximity of the VA to the main university centers. Next door or <10-15 min drive away is not the end of the world. If it is any further, that would seem frustrating.

On a side note, does it matter if your application is submitted up to a week after ERAS opening? Still waiting on a LOR to be uploaded. Surely programs wait a few days before offering interviews.
I submitted mine a week or two after ERAS opened due to the same reason a few years ago. Didn't seem to matter.

I already have 3 LoRs uploaded but 4th one is going to take a while. Should I just apply with 3 for now? Can I add a 4th LoR at a later date?

I'm running into the same issue with my LOR, 2 out of 4 have been uploaded, one has been released, and one is still in "processing 4 days later". The other 2 were supposedly just sent in. I applied to 20 programs. Is there anyway to tell which programs are really competitive and which ones are not? I mean other than the obvious namesake---i.e Vanderbilt/Duke.... I'm coming from a small community hospital IM program, but I am a bit older and do have a strong background in research/teaching.

I'm running into the same issue with my LOR, 2 out of 4 have been uploaded, one has been released, and one is still in "processing 4 days later". The other 2 were supposedly just sent in. I applied to 20 programs. Is there anyway to tell which programs are really competitive and which ones are not? I mean other than the obvious namesake---i.e Vanderbilt/Duke.... I'm coming from a small community hospital IM program, but I am a bit older and do have a strong background in research/teaching.
I wouldn’t say Vanderbilt is competitive . Duke...well, it’s Duke.

Depends on what is your area of interest...thyroid? Bone? Adrenal?
Just because a university has a name doesn’t necessarily make it competitive for every specialty...sure Harvard, Mayo, CCF, will be competitive ,but a name isn’t always going to give you the best training.

Last edited:
ok, so if Vandy is not "competitive", then what is? I mean how do you find out, I've looked through some of the match stats and based on that, telling who filled and who didn't. As far as the places I want to go, they all filled. Any advice on how many programs would you say is enough to ensure the highest likelihood of matching??

I like diabetes and lipid metabolism, but have publications on adrenals. I have 1 Endo LOR currently and am rotating with 2 endocrinologists next month and I am going to ask for a LOR from them and they're aware and everything, so I was just gonna like physically mail it to my really really hopeful places, and possibly ask the two attendings to "make a call"?? (they're both from one of the institutes)

I already have 3 LoRs uploaded but 4th one is going to take a while. Should I just apply with 3 for now? Can I add a 4th LoR at a later date?

How long will the 4th take? Do you already have PD letter?

Would you not add on ERAS any in-progress IRB approved research work, since it isn't published yet or completed?

How long will the 4th take? Do you already have PD letter?

I don't know. I think he may upload it either this weekend or the next.
I already have literally everything set up except that LoR. I would really prefer to submit before 15th deadline.

I don't know. I think he may upload it either this weekend or the next.
I already have literally everything set up except that LoR. I would really prefer to submit before 15th deadline.

Just submit it then. I'm still waiting for my PD letter upload.

I like diabetes and lipid metabolism, but have publications on adrenals. I have 1 Endo LOR currently and am rotating with 2 endocrinologists next month and I am going to ask for a LOR from them and they're aware and everything, so I was just gonna like physically mail it to my really really hopeful places, and possibly ask the two attendings to "make a call"?? (they're both from one of the institutes)

For diabetes, you will be fine at most clinical endo programs, may not get as much exposure at more research oriented places unless heavy in diabetes research ( have a friend that was fellow at the Brigham and she said that she was weaker at DM more than anything else since they got a lot of zebras for example)..BI will be strong in diabetes since the fellows rotate at Joslin. It can help to see if programs have dedicated diabetes clinics, which can give you more opportunity to see complex dm pts.

Lipids is a little harder since at many places this is done by cards, but the usual suspects have lipid clinics run by endo...Mayo, Hopkins...Houston and Penn? I think have lipids focus and research for endo. I would imagine NIH would have some lipids as well, but may be more cards there.

I wouldn’t hard copy that to programs but just upload to ERAS when available.

Having them call a place you are interested in to give a good word can always be helpful, especially if they know each other...and endo is a small world, especially academia, so they m/l will know each other.

I’m more thyroid and bone, so hard for me to say what’s competitive for dm and lipids. Look to see where research is coming from, where leaders in the field are and those m/l are the competitive programs...but for the most part, endocrine fellowship programs are at universities so you can get decent research opportunities if you want and can see a breadth of patients to a point.

You can add it as a project you're doing. It won't be worth that much, but it will be something to discuss during interviews.

Would this be best said under the 'experience' tab and not 'publication'? The latter seems a bit presumptuous.

If someone has any list of endo programs with their reviews, please share.

How important are USMLE Step Scores and medical school performance?
I tanked those and ended up in a low tier residency. AMG.

How important are USMLE Step Scores and medical school performance?
I tanked those and ended up in a low tier residency. AMG.
I think its unrealistic to think that USLME scores won't be looked at---I suppose some programs have SOME filter. However, in this stage of the game, we are all residents with letters of support from our PD. Therefore, at THIS stage, I would think LOR and research/QI projects would hold more weight.

Can anyone comment on the differences between Temple and Jefferson for endo? Is one program more known for certain things or better regarded?

Can anyone comment on the differences between Temple and Jefferson for endo? Is one program more known for certain things or better regarded?
Temple only has one fellow a year I think.
Temple is a safety net hospital that is very busy...Jeff is where the insured pts go...
Out of the phily programs, UPenn’s endo program is probably the most recognized...

Temple only has one fellow a year I think.
Temple is a safety net hospital that is very busy...Jeff is where the insured pts go...
Out of the phily programs, UPenn’s endo program is probably the most recognized...
I see, thank you for the info!

Okay to submit with letters submitted but still processing right? We can assign them after the application is submitted? My PD letter and 1 endocrinology letter are pending, 2 letters are processed/available...

Which few programs do you all hope to hear back from?

Is there a chance that we get interviews tomorrow? Just nervous.,

The average program will get a couple hundred applications this coming week. They have to decide on 20-30 people to interview.

I mean, there's a chance some of those interviews will go out tomorrow - to say, home candidates. That's probably about it.

On last year's thread, there were some that went out on day 1. I think Emory was on of those programs?

Reactions: 1 user
The average program will get a couple hundred applications this coming week. They have to decide on 20-30 people to interview.

I mean, there's a chance some of those interviews will go out tomorrow - to say, home candidates. That's probably about it.

On the NRMP data it said the average program gets around ~119 apps and interviews ~20. With that information I may tack on a few more programs hah.