Official 2019-2020 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you live the excitement vicariously every year?

each year I imagine how I felt. The week before, the night before. The email.
So in a way I live via your excitement and have a sense of happiness with everyones achievements. Specially the ones I mentored and helped each year to match to GI.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
each year I imagine how I felt. The week before, the night before. The email.
So in a way I live via your excitement and have a sense of happiness with everyones achievements. Specially the ones I mentored and helped each year to match to GI.

Thoughtful for you to help out through this process, again and again, the SDN expert posters are the unsung heroes of the match system.

Reactions: 3 users
Thoughtful for you to help out through this process, again and again, the SDN expert posters are the unsung heroes of the match system.
Any year and anytime. 1 more day. Very excited for y'all

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone in the match. Regardless of what happens, know that you have already achieved tremendous success in your professional lives, and if you have gotten this far you have bright futures and a fulfilling, high paying job in IM waiting for you, whether that is in GI or not. If you do not match, know this is competitive- I am blown away at the quality of applicants we interview and match every successive year- but it is a process, you must play by house rules. But if this is what will really make you happy there are ways in that will demand fealty- research, time, effort- decide if this is worth it for you. If it is, know you're entering a wonderful field full of some fantastic people and cool things to do and learn about. Congrats for getting this far, and to continued success tomorrow. Now that your on your way, give back to this group if you found it useful- if you didn't, still give back so that others might!

Reactions: 1 users
Let’s hear the good news

Reactions: 1 user
Matched at my #8. Incredibly thankful as i had a rank list of 8

Reactions: 4 users
Matched #3.
Stats
AMG, current PGY 3 at a low end of top tier residency program
No Chief year
Step 1:220s
Step 2: 250s
Step 3: 210s
3 GI letters from internationally known faculty
Multiple leadership roles in GME
8 publications, 2 first author. 1 in high impact journal. No orals. Tons of case reports.

applied to 40. Recieved 14 invites. Went to 11 interviews. Ranked 10 programs.

for the future me who will read this at some point and wonder what it took to get there.

Matched at my #1 from the program I got a phone call. Life is good!

Hi all,
Thank God I matched this time! at number #4. 8 Interviews.
Third time applying. I Finished residency 4 years ago, community program. Chief. Step 1 210, Step 2 233 Step 3 226. All first attempt.

First time: I applied after residency: had 13 posters no manuscripts. 2 IV, Didn't match.

Worked as an academic hospitalist for 3 years for J1 waiver.

Second time: last year. 20 posters. 3 Manuscripts. 2 pending. Three strong letters from internationaly known ppl. Had 6 interviews. Did not match

Third time: 11 manuscripts, 6 -7 original research, some in good journals... Three strong letters from internationaly known ppl. Had 8 Interviews. Matched #4. Thank God. Very happy. FYI, I matched at the best of 8, but ranked lower for family reasons.

I hope this helps anyone in similar position, IMG, community. Poor step 1 score. Hospital medicine work.

Tips:
1. As everybody knows do as much research and publications as possible. Some has to be first author, good original research. But volume also matters. As long as you have few of good quality!

2. Connections, connections, connections. To be frank only 2 - 3 interviews came without any connections.

3. If GI is your passion keep trying, have faith. Always have plan B.

Congratulations to all who matched!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
Third time applying. I Finished residency 4 years ago, community program. Chief. Step 1 210, Step 2 233 Step 3 226. All first attempt.

First time: I applied after residency: had 13 posters no manuscripts. 2 IV, Didn't match.

Second time: last year. 20 posters. 3 Manuscripts. 2 pending. Three strong letters from internationaly known ppl. Had 6 interviews. Did not match

Third time: 11 manuscripts, 6 -7 original research, some in good journals... Three strong letters from internationaly known ppl. Had 8 Interviews. Matched #4. Thank God. Very happy. FYI, I matched at the best of 8, but ranked lower for family reasons.

I hope this helps anyone in similar position, IMG, community. Poor step 1 score. Hospital medicine work.

Tips:
1. As everybody knows do as much research and publications as possible. Some has to be first author, good original research. But volume also matters. As long as you have few of good quality!

2. Connections, connections, connections. To be frank only 2 - 3 interviews came without any connections.

Also has 20 or so posters

Matched #3!
AMG, top 10-15 academic IM residency, no chief year. Step 1: 250s, step 2: 270s, step 3: 250s. Had 3 non-GI manuscripts and 1 GI first author manuscript in mid-tier journal, 1 submitted first author at time of application. 5 posters at DDW and ACG in residency. 3 GI letter writers. Applied to 28, received 14 interviews, interviewed at 7 and ranked 7.

Advice/comments:
- I feel like the interviews I received were all over the place, no rhyme or reason to many. Got some reaches and didn't get many presumed locks.
- As others have said, connections are essential. Many division chairs specifically mentioned my letter writers who had connections to their program.
- I reached out to several programs to convey my interest and received an interview from 2 out of 3 after doing this.
- I went in fairly general with my career goals, however, I would highly advise defining a subspecialty interest in GI, particularly for academic centers. I think my lack of a subspecialty interest threw some interviewers off.
- I sent a letter of intent to my #1 and a letter of interest to #2-4 (stating I would be honored to match). I think these were taken well overall.

Appreciate all of the input from these threads and hope this helps others. Congrats to all that matched this year and good luck for those applying next cycle!

Matched at my #1 choice at an amazing program. I’m beyond shocked and over the moon with excitement! I have been a long time stalker of the thread and just wanted to thank everyone for all your advice and support! Congrats to everyone that matched!

Hi all,

Tips:

Congratulations!!
I was in a similar situation. IMG, chief, applied after a 3 year hiatus working as hospitalist. Got 5 IVs, Matched at # 3. The only big achievement is I matched on H1.

Curious to know if you matched for a J1 position?

Congratulations!!
I was in a similar situation. IMG, chief, applied after a 3 year hiatus working as hospitalist. Got 5 IVs, Matched at # 3. The only big achievement is I matched on H1.

Curious to know if you matched for a J1 position?

nice job. Not many places give H1B. Great job and thanks for your input

Matched #3!
AMG, top 10-15 academic IM residency, no chief year. Step 1: 250s, step 2: 270s, step 3: 250s. Had 3 non-GI manuscripts and 1 GI first author manuscript in mid-tier journal, 1 submitted first author at time of application. 5 posters at DDW and ACG in residency. 3 GI letter writers. Applied to 28, received 14 interviews, interviewed at 7 and ranked 7.

Advice/comments:
- I feel like the interviews I received were all over the place, no rhyme or reason to many. Got some reaches and didn't get many presumed locks.
- As others have said, connections are essential. Many division chairs specifically mentioned my letter writers who had connections to their program.
- I reached out to several programs to convey my interest and received an interview from 2 out of 3 after doing this.
- I went in fairly general with my career goals, however, I would highly advise defining a subspecialty interest in GI, particularly for academic centers. I think my lack of a subspecialty interest threw some interviewers off.
- I sent a letter of intent to my #1 and a letter of interest to #2-4 (stating I would be honored to match). I think these were taken well overall.

Appreciate all of the input from these threads and hope this helps others. Congrats to all that matched this year and good luck for those applying next cycle!

well written advice. Good job. All the best.

I am so proud of my SDN family. Great job y’all.

Matched #3!
Moving across country but hey, it’s better than not matching!! Thanks everyone for the advice, glad it all worked out. Congrats to those who matched and Good luck to those trying again!

Heard there are a few unmatched spots being cook county and emory.

Matched to my #1. Applied to 40. Interviewed at 9.
Step 1: 230s. Step 2: 250s. Step 3: 230s.
3rd year AMG at strong tier program. Had three strong letters from lesser known GI faculty. Had a handful of abstracts and couple of posters/orals at ACG/DDW. Two pubs, one which was not GI and none 1st author.

Advice:
- Your residency's rep makes a huge difference. My resume wasn't the strongest but my residency is taxing and I'm glad it's reputation is known.
- Interviews themselves make a big difference. Once you get that shot, just kill it. I was aggressive during my interviews about my passion for GI and I know my interviewers got the message loud and clear. Don't just walk through the interview process and be happy to be there. This is a common mistake.
- For those who don't feel they have the goods (pubs, scores), you still have a great chance if you make headlines at national conferences despite pubs. Be creative in other ways to show your GI worth such as participating in big time GI related fundraiser events, article interviews, video endoscopy reviews, etc. Every little bit helps.
- Reach out to programs before and after interviews! Keep a constant line of communication without crossing the awkward line, you know what that line is. Don't be timid! This is a life changing event and you have to go get it.
- Lastly, for all my folks wanting to go private and still saying academic, there's no need. Be real and praise academics for what it brings to the community at the same time.

Matched to my #1. Applied to 120. Interviewed at 6.
Step 1: 240s. Step 2: 240s. No attempts
3rd year IMG at low tier University program. J1 Visa. 2 letters from GI, one from IM one from world renowned faculty.
10 publications. 25-30 abstracts/posters. 3 Orals

Advice
-Start working on research from Day 1 of residency
-Do as many research projects as possible, dont be stuck on doing first author only research (Number of projects do matter)
-Make connections at conferences and through research
-Reach out to everyone
-Be a strong resident at your own program
-Ask mentors to reach out to your top choice
-Be smart about which program is achievable and where you should put all your energy
-Be serious during interviews and prepare the most commonly asked questions well( Why GI, Why our program, What do you want to do in GI etc etc)
-As I am an IMG, I looked at programs which had history of taking IMGs
-Stay positive and work hard, some one will notice whatever work you are putting in

Also during the interview process, I was more of a lurker as the programs I interviewed were posted before I could do anything

Would be more active in the future

Congratulations to everyone who matched.

Matched to my #1. Applied to 40. Interviewed at 9.
Step 1: 230s. Step 2: 250s. Step 3: 230s.
3rd year AMG at strong tier program. Had three strong letters from lesser known GI faculty. Had a handful of abstracts and couple of posters/orals at ACG/DDW. Two pubs, one which was not GI and none 1st author.

Advice:
- Your residency's rep makes a huge difference. My resume wasn't the strongest but my residency is taxing and I'm glad it's reputation is known.
- Interviews themselves make a big difference. Once you get that shot, just kill it. I was aggressive during my interviews about my passion for GI and I know my interviewers got the message loud and clear. Don't just walk through the interview process and be happy to be there. This is a common mistake.
- For those who don't feel they have the goods (pubs, scores), you still have a great chance if you make headlines at national conferences despite pubs. Be creative in other ways to show your GI worth such as participating in big time GI related fundraiser events, article interviews, video endoscopy reviews, etc. Every little bit helps.
- Reach out to programs before and after interviews! Keep a constant line of communication without crossing the awkward line, you know what that line is. Don't be timid! This is a life changing event and you have to go get it.
- Lastly, for all my folks wanting to go private and still saying academic, there's no need. Be real and praise academics for what it brings to the community at the same time.

I told you so. So happy for you

Didn’t match. I’m an IMG on a J1. What are my options if I want to reapply next year?

Matched on second attempt.
IMG requiring J1 visa
Step scores in 240s
Residency from middle tier university program
First time applied as a third year resident, strong LORs (one from an internationally known faculty), 8 publications (mostly case reports and review articles), several DDW / ACG posters, no oral presentation, recieved total of 9 invites, interviewed at 8 and unfortunately did not match.

Second time applying, went for a chief year in a different university program other than my primary residency program, total 20 publications by the time of application (1 CGH, 2 GIE, 1 endoscopy and 1 EIO), also had 1 oral DDW presentation. Strong LORs from 2 internationally known faculty. Received a total of 15 invites, interviewed at 12 and matched at #1 choice (low tier program, ranked high due to family and relieved that won't have to do long distance). Super happy to be in the GI club.

Congratulations to everyone out there who matched. For those of you who didn't, double up your passion and attack your CV from all aspect. Good quality research is always important (quality and quantity). Connections are essential, can get you matched even if you have nothing on your CV.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi all,

Matched at #2. Still wallowing in excitement, disbelief and shock!!
IMG. Community prog residency, no chief year, Steps in 230s, Green card, Been academic hospitalist since 2017, letters from 2 GI (young faculty) and 2 IM.
Lots of personal research; 17pubs (12 orig research, 5 case reports); only 4 first-author. >10 poster presentations at national conferences, no orals.
No awards. Really no mentors, no connections! Went in to the season with a lot of prayers and hope!!!
Got 5 invites; technically 4 as my "home" prog where I'm hospitalist gave a painfully sham interview.
Grateful to match in a university program with a fantastic and friendly faculty.

While the odds are long, it is doable. Especially for those out of residency like I am, it is tougher. Try to align yourself with supportive mentors which I wish I had- would definitely have made the journey easier a little bit. Although I did not have connections, it's importance cannot be overstated.

Get as many research projects and publications as possible.
Ace your interviews. There will be a few off-guard questions but maintain your composure and reiterate your interest and dedication at every opportunity.

This is the toughest thing I have ever done in my medical career. The application and interview-wait period was traumatic. Above all, stay positive in your pursuit of GI. Work hard and if you believe in prayers; pray hard as well. I am super grateful to have matched in what has turned out to be my only attempt.

Congratulations to everyone who matched. Best wishes to our colleagues who did not. It will work out next time!

Thank you very much to all the contributors. @ShiShiMD Thank you very much for your insights and patience always.

Hi all,

Matched at #2. Still wallowing in excitement, disbelief and shock!!
IMG. Community prog residency, no chief year, Steps in 230s, Green card, Been academic hospitalist since 2017, letters from 2 GI (young faculty) and 2 IM.
Lots of personal research; 17pubs (12 orig research, 5 case reports); only 4 first-author. >10 poster presentations at national conferences, no orals.
No awards. Really no mentors, no connections! Went in to the season with a lot of prayers and hope!!!
Got 5 invites; technically 4 as my "home" prog where I'm hospitalist gave a painfully sham interview.
Grateful to match in a university program with a fantastic and friendly faculty.

While the odds are long, it is doable. Especially for those out of residency like I am, it is tougher. Try to align yourself with supportive mentors which I wish I had- would definitely have made the journey easier a little bit. Although I did not have connections, it's importance cannot be overstated.

Get as many research projects and publications as possible.
Ace your interviews. There will be a few off-guard questions but maintain your composure and reiterate your interest and dedication at every opportunity.

This is the toughest thing I have ever done in my medical career. The application and interview-wait period was traumatic. Above all, stay positive in your pursuit of GI. Work hard and if you believe in prayers; pray hard as well. I am super grateful to have matched in what has turned out to be my only attempt.

Congratulations to everyone who matched. Best wishes to our colleagues who did not. It will work out next time!

Thank you very much to all the contributors. @ShiShiMD Thank you very much for your insights and patience always.
So proud of you and so happy for you. Please come back and contribute for future discussions and also matches.

Hi All, I matched!!! So happy #3 still can’t believe it!!!!
IMG PGY3 from Community 240s, no Chief year, 7publications, 12 abstracts ACG, DDW, ACP. Mostly first author or second.
Letters: one famous GI and one community GI, in addition to 2IM PD and Faculty.
total 8 interviews, matched in university program. I work as hard as I could. No connections, however some interviewers knew my mentor.
Felt that pedigree is the most important factor and who you know, also a lot of politics. However, don’t give up. This forum has showed how people like me can achieve it.

Thank you everyone for your valuable input during every step of the way.

Thank you dear God for being so good to me.

AMG
From borderline upper tier residency (top 20-25, university program)
Step 1: 237, Step 2: 265, Step 3: 242 (all pass first attempt)
One publication (not GI related)
Two poster presentations
One oral presentation at DDW (still writing manuscript, not published yet)
Applied to 24, 11 interviews, went on 8, ranked 7
Matched at #2. Couldn't be happier.

Quick note: Unfortunately, it is much easier to match into GI as an AMG compared to an IMG. So, from an AMG standpoint (and IMG, of course, but some might not apply fully to IMGs) I think these things are vitally important:

1) Find a mentor with research opportunities who will INVEST in you. I am 100% convinced my mentor was the reason I matched (primarily because he put me in a position to succeed. Also, he is not a big name GI doc)
2) After discussing with multiple faculty members involved in the match/interview process (and now after personal experience), all it really takes is one, big project that you OWN (again, likely not the same for IMGs), write up, present, and publish (although mine wasn't published). This is much more important than being second, third, or fourth author on 10+ projects.
3) Ask people to write you letters who know you beyond the hospital. I'm also convinced that programs care more about a letter from an assistant professor that is glowing about an applicant compared to a big name with a standard template word document. I chose to include a letter from a pulm/crit INSTRUCTOR when I could've used a full professor (internationally known). Great experiences with both, but I knew the instructor would right a much more personable letter, and he would stress the things I wanted him to stress (personable, high character, fun to work with, etc). This letter got mentioned at least 4-5 times on the interview trail by interviewers.
4) interview well. if you get an interview, they like you just as much as the other 20-30 people they invited on paper. the interview (IMO) can separate one from many.

Reactions: 5 users
Beyond thrilled! Matched #1 choice. Applied to 32, offered 11, went on 10
No chief year
- From top tier residency
- 4 manuscript publications (one first author)
- Oral presentation, 2 poster presentations
- one case report
- USMLE 1,2,3- 240, 256, 239
Thanks you all for your help!

I wonder what the stats will look like this year. I feel AMG numbers will go up and IMG might go down, anecdotally speaking. I think like many residencies and fellowships, having many AMGs makes a program look much stronger even if their credentials (scores, recs/evals, pubs) are obviously lower.

I wonder what the stats will look like this year. I feel AMG numbers will go up and IMG might go down, anecdotally speaking. I think like many residencies and fellowships, having many AMGs makes a program look much stronger even if their credentials (scores, recs/evals, pubs) are obviously lower.

Sad but true

i think it will be around the same. Maybe more US and Canadian Internationally trained.
But the stats should be the same.

I can only speak about my program and the programs that rotate in our institution for various rotations and I can clearly state this: Every Program I knew ranked based on a scoring system comprised of scholarly activity, professionalism, commitment to the field by having various mentors at different institutions and being amiable , not visa or where you graduated medical school from.

5 programs I know. Strong programs. All of the Chairs, Chief of Department, Dean of Medicine , FD/PD are FMG not even US IMGs.

it has always been 30-35% IMG 65-70% AMG.

but let see when the stats come. I might be wrong.

Hi everyone congratulations to all that matched!

I will be applying next year for the first time. Just looking for some advice, and chances of matching.

Step 1 230s, step 230s, step 3 220s all first attempt
Currently at a university affiliated residency program
IMG
Currently have about 8 case reports and about 5 retrospective studies and working on a systematic review

Still planning to do more research until submitting my application. What are my chances of matching?

I will be applying next year for the first time. Just looking for some advice, and chances of matching.

IMG
Currently have about 8 case reports and about 5 retrospective studies and working on a systematic review

Still planning to do more research until submitting my application. What are my chances of matching?

I think you have a decent chance.
You need apply very broadly, like more than 100 program. If cheif year is an option I would do it. You have good number of publiy but keep pushing, the more the better.
Have plan B ready, specially if you are on J1 Visa.

Good Luck!

IMG

I think you have a decent chance.
You need apply very broadly, like more than 100 program. If cheif year is an option I would do it. You have good number of publiy but keep pushing, the more the better.
Have plan B ready, specially if you are on J1 Visa.

Good Luck!

Yes if on J1 keep on publishing and making connections. You have decent chance as stated but the visa might be an issue for some programs.

Looking for opinions on chances for next cycle:

AMG MD. US citizen. Upcoming chief year at mid-tier university institution in South.
Multiple other leadership roles and residency awards.
Step 1: 230s, Step 2: 230s and pass, Step 3: 220s
15 pubs (5 as first author) ranging from case reports to meta-analyses. Only 3 of those are non-GI.
3 DDW posters. 10 ACG posters. 2 ACP/SGIM posters. 2 posters at other conferences.
GIE blog post.
Planning to get LORs from two well-known GI's and another not as well known. Total 4 LORs including PD.

If you can hold a 10 min interview conversation without cursing you will match. Fantatstic app.

• Haha

AMG MD. US citizen. Upcoming chief year at mid-tier university institution in South.
15 pubs (5 as first author) ranging from case reports to meta-analyses. Only 3 of those are non-GI.
3 DDW posters. 10 ACG posters. 2 ACP/SGIM posters. 2 posters at other conferences.
GIE blog post.
Planning to get LORs from two well-known GI's and another not as well known. Total 4 LORs including PD.

apply broadly. At least 40 programs with varying levels of prestige

GIE blog post.
If you apply somewhat broadly you have about 100% chance of matching.

GIE blog post.

Be professional and show you have strong interpersonal and communication skills in your interviews and you will match. Apply to all the programs you can afford.

Be professional and show you have strong interpersonal and communication skills in your interviews and you will match. Apply to all the programs you can afford.

Agreed
Apply broadly. Be professional and show interest. Otherwise you have an excellent CV.

I have seen a program saying that they will not rank 2 AMG good applicants because they didn't show interest and fellows didn't like them. I am sure they matched somewhere else, the idea though is to be curious, professional, and show interest.

Good Luck!

IMG (PGY3) --Matched in my 7th choice (non-in house mid-tier university program) ,but still happy...
PGY3 Mid tier University program with reputation for being IMG friendly but in a high volume tertiary care center with access to research..mid tier in house fellowship...
270/270/250
Abstracts:Multiple orals and 15+ posters in DDW (matters the most) / ACG and AASLD..
Publications: 7 published 3 accepted 5 submitted and multiple ongoing manuscripts
Immigration status: Greencard
Application/Interview info: applied to 85 programs had 22 invites . was able to go to 17..cancelled 5 due to scheduling conflicts
My top 3 choices were high pedigree brand name programs that sparingly take imgs...my 4-6 choices were more img friendly so was surprised I did not end up there..
Thoughts
-1) It's competitive as hell..Specially for an img not from a high pedigree program...
-2)Pedigree is the bane of our existence ..
-3) Lot's of politics... Programs communicate with each other about applicants all the time.. A large part of the match is decided before the match..
-4)the above 3 points are not under your control for most part ..
-5) If you are an img work extremely hard and publish...you should look like an early career research faculty on your cv..
-6) Apply to GI only if you badly want it because of point number 5. The time I spend in the lab or writing stuff up or doing stats could have been spent in a much more fun way...
-7) have a mentor to advocate for you and be smart about where you have him call...Ideally it should be someone who knows people... this is how you navigate point number 3... Who would have thought getting x GI is like an election campaign ehh
-8) practice interviewing and make sure you are liked...sounds cliched .. but there are pitfalls.. If you are a pgy3 odds are that you were on call the day before interview and took a red eye to get there and feel like punching everyone around you due to sleep deprivation... somehow still smile and appear interested etc... given how competitive it is programs are actively looking for reasons to not rank you rather than the reverse...
-9) Regardless of what you do there will be stuff not in your control... In my top choice everyone liked me except one dude who for some reason hated me with the bottom of his heart... I came to know about this post match day that everyone else wanted me there ,but that guy had the veto power...these things will happen...
-10)As an img matching x gi (particularly outside home institute) is a big deal... No wonder most imgs x gi emerge as leaders... also a reason why img friendly gi programs have more abstracts in DDW and win the GI jeopardy year after year..

Last edited: