Official 2019-2020 Infectious Diseases Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MSK stands for ?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviews:
7/15: Beaumont, UVA
7/16: Northwestern, UMass, Stanford, Tufts, Rutgers, Tulane, U Illinois Chicago
7/18: Henry Ford, U Wisconsin, Medical College of Wisconsin, U Colorado, Penn State
7/19: Vanderbilt, UIC (2), SUNY Downstate, USC (South Carolina), UNM
7/20: NIH
7/22: UT Houston, Einstein Montefiore, Yale, East Carolina U, Stanford (2), Beaumont, Spectrum, U Rochester
7/23: U Chicago, Zucker, Yale (2), DMC, UTMB, UPMC
7/24: MGH/BWH, U Chicago (2), Medical College of Georgia, St Louis U, Rush Univ, U South Florida
7/25: U Utah, Baylor, Temple, Mount Sinai, UWashington, Duke, UNC
7/26: Georgetown/Wash Hosp Cntr, Emory, Ascension St. John, UPMC (2), UCSF, Jackson Memorial (U Miami), Wake Forest, Tulane (2)
7/28: UCSD (2)
7/29 : LSU-New Orleans, MUSC, LAC-USC, Indiana U, GW, Arizona, DMC (2), UCLA
7/30: Mayo Rochester, Thomas Jefferson, Johns Hopkins, U Maryland, UCLA (2), MSK, Mount Sinai (2)
7/31: NYU
8/1: NYU (2), UPenn
8/2: Beth Israel Deaconess, MSK (2), WashU
8/5: Brown

Rejections:
7/26: UCSD

(2) = 2nd round invite
(3) = 3rd round invite
& etc

Interviews:
7/18: Henry Ford, U Wisconsin, Medical College of Wisconsin, U Colorado, Penn State
7/22: UT Houston, Einstein Montefiore, Yale, East Carolina U, Stanford (2), Beaumont, Spectrum, U Rochester
7/24: MGH/BWH, U Chicago (2), Medical College of Georgia, St Louis U, Rush Univ, U South Florida
7/26: Georgetown/Wash Hosp Cntr, Emory, Ascension St. John, UPMC (2), UCSF, Jackson Memorial (U Miami), Wake Forest, Tulane (2)
7/30: Mayo Rochester, Thomas Jefferson, Johns Hopkins, U Maryland, UCLA (2), MSK, Mount Sinai (2)
8/5: Brown, Georgetown U

Rejections:

(2) = 2nd round invite
(3) = 3rd round invite
& etc

Interviews:
8/5: Brown, Georgetown U, Mayo Rochester (2)

Rejections:

(2) = 2nd round invite
(3) = 3rd round invite
& etc

Interviews:
8/5: Brown, Georgetown U, Mayo Rochester (2), OHSU

Rejections:

(2) = 2nd round invite
(3) = 3rd round invite
& etc

Hello all, have any of you applied to ID/Critical Care? I was wondering if you had some insight on the programs that offer that track, which ones are the best ones? I know the programs who offer them, I am just looking to see if you knew anything about them (beyond the website). Also, do you guys know if it is customary to do an ID fellowship and then do a one-year critical care year in the same place? Thanks in advance!

Is anyone else waiting to hear back from programs with confirmation of interview date selection? What is AAMC doing with all our money if they don't even have an integrated platform for interview assignments?

I reached out to the program coordinator of two programs I had pending, they got back to me with my first choice right away.

Is anyone else waiting to hear back from programs with confirmation of interview date selection? What is AAMC doing with all our money if they don't even have an integrated platform for interview assignments?
Why is it that when things aren’t going as fast as THEY want, they ask what is blah, blah doing with our money?
Have you called the fellowship coordinator to see if your interview has been scheduled...or just sitting back and expecting it to pop up when you want?

Yes, I did call them. I'm surprised you're defending this very disorganized way of scheduling interviews. We can do better.
Well when I was applying, ERAS was really just a vehicle for the application...invites were handled directly with the program...got invites on my personal email and communicated with the FC...plus it’s fellowship and the number of dates for interviews were a lot fewer that many times it was an option of 1-3 dates.
Frankly seems to me that it would be easier not to have eras as a middleman

Yes, I did call them. I'm surprised you're defending this very disorganized way of scheduling interviews. We can do better.
Some programs use ERAS for scheduling and some use email or other scheduling systems. It doesn’t seem all that disorganized. If you’ve been invited by a program whether through ERAS or otherwise, it can’t hurt to contact the program coordinator if there are any issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
In 2019, if the applications are centralized and the match is centralized, scheduling should all be centralized, too.

In 2019, if the applications are centralized and the match is centralized, scheduling should all be centralized, too.
You know there are specialties that are not in the match and it’s only been 4 -5 years where the match for fellowship has been centralized...and even then different specialties have different match days.

Does anyone have a good deal of familiarity with the New York and Philadelphia programs?

It’s getting a little difficult to schedule my interviews and I may be forced to drop a few but was hoping to find out a little bit more about each of the programs ahead of time regarding their reputation in the area before making any major decisions.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into NYU vs. Mount Sinai and Temple vs. Thomas Jefferson in regards to their ID programs.

Interviews:
8/6: Case Western

Rejections:
8/6: MGH/BWH

(2) = 2nd round invite
(3) = 3rd round invite
& etc

Does anyone have a good deal of familiarity with the New York and Philadelphia programs?

It’s getting a little difficult to schedule my interviews and I may be forced to drop a few but was hoping to find out a little bit more about each of the programs ahead of time regarding their reputation in the area before making any major decisions.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into NYU vs. Mount Sinai and Temple vs. Thomas Jefferson in regards to their ID programs.
Temple is a safety net hospitalist and now with HUH closing, even more so...

The population is underserved and high immigrant pop so then pathology there is quite diversified and you will see all sorts of crazy things ( was a hospitalist there before fellowship)...Jeff has a higher socioeconomic pop so not as crazy as temple...probably have better research opportunities at Jeff.

Have you heard from Cornell or Columbia?

Temple is a safety net hospitalist and now with HUH closing, even more so...

The population is underserved and high immigrant pop so then pathology there is quite diversified and you will see all sorts of crazy things ( was a hospitalist there before fellowship)...Jeff has a higher socioeconomic pop so not as crazy as temple...probably have better research opportunities at Jeff.

Thank you. That was very helpful.

Interviews:
8/7: Ohio State, Albert Einstein Philadelphia

Rejections:

(2) = 2nd round invite
(3) = 3rd round invite
& etc

Interviews:
8/7: Ohio State, Albert Einstein Philadelphia, Dartmouth

Rejections:

(2) = 2nd round invite
(3) = 3rd round invite
& etc

Does anyone have some insight on Case Western vs Ohio State? Please let me know

Did anyone go on their first interview yet ? If so, please share the experience, questions asked during the interview etc... Thanks.

Interviews:
7/23: U Chicago, Zucker, Yale, DMC, UTMB, UPMC
7/28: UCSD
7/30: Mayo Rochester, Thomas Jefferson, Johns Hopkins, U Maryland, UCLA (2), MSK, Mount Sinai
8/7: Ohio State, Albert Einstein Philadelphia, Dartmouth
8/8: NYPH/Cornell

Rejections:

(2) = 2nd round invite
(3) = 3rd round invite
& etc

Interviews:
7/30: Mayo Rochester, Thomas Jefferson, Johns Hopkins, U Maryland, UCLA (2), MSK, Mount Sinai
8/7: Ohio State, Albert Einstein Philadelphia, Dartmouth, UC Irvine
8/8: NYPH/Cornell

Rejections:

(2) = 2nd round invite
(3) = 3rd round invite
& etc

Hello all, have any of you applied to ID/Critical Care? I was wondering if you had some insight on the programs that offer that track, which ones are the best ones? I know the programs who offer them, I am just looking to see if you knew anything about them (beyond the website). Also, do you guys know if it is customary to do an ID fellowship and then do a one-year critical care year in the same place? Thanks in advance!

There are many programs that offer a formalized 2 Year ID and into 1 year CCM track at the same institute. I'm sure other programs offer this but it is less formal. Check and ask questions when you interview or before hand. Many programs advertise a CCM track on their website.

MSMC is transplant heavy, but offers otherwise good all around training. It is on the UES of Manhattan. NYU offers a well rounded experience with the ability to rotate at Bellevue one of the cities largest county hospitals. Mt. Sinai I still think sends it fellows to Elmhurst for a "county," experience but I might be wrong. Both are solid programs, depends on what your career goals/focus is.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone of you guys hear back from any of these 5 programs:
UT southwest, Columbia, Cleveland Clinic, Boston University, UC Davis?

Interviews:
8/8: NYPH/Cornell, NYPH/Columbia

Rejections:

(2) = 2nd round invite
(3) = 3rd round invite
& etc

Did anyone of you guys hear back from any of these 5 programs:
UT southwest, Columbia, Cleveland Clinic, Boston University, UC Davis?
BU lacks transplant experience, one month at MGH is not enough! Offers MPH and Addiction Medicine Fship in addition if interested! CCF is excellent in all aspects and have an amazing PD!

Interviews:
8/9: NYPH/Columbia

Rejections:

(2) = 2nd round invite
(3) = 3rd round invite
& etc

Interviews:
8/9: NYPH/Columbia, UT Southwestern

Rejections:

(2) = 2nd round invite
(3) = 3rd round invite
& etc

Do we need California license ? I didn’t get any interviews from California ? Yeah

Interviews:

Rejections:

(2) = 2nd round invite
(3) = 3rd round invite
& etc
Do you have California license or PTAl ? I want to go to California desperately but I didn’t get any IV from there ?

Do you have California license or PTAl ? I want to go to California desperately but I didn’t get any IV from there ?
You don't need PTAL before the acceptance to fellowship.

Interviews:
8/12: Vanderbilt (2)

Rejections:

(2) = 2nd round invite
(3) = 3rd round invite
& etc

Hi,
long time lurker, first time poster using an old high school email lol!

I called the California medical board before applying and was told I don't need the PTAL to apply to california programs this year. They are discontinuing the PTAL in 2020 so having it is just a formality for now. I had even called a few programs in California to confirm and they did inform me that the PTAL wasn't necessary. However, my nerves are getting the best of me!
I've gotten several east coast and midwest interviews yet silence from California programs so far. Do they still expect me to have a PTAL? Should I give them a call?

I was looking at the last ID fellowship forum posts from the 2018 season and it looks like most people got their interviews between 7/15 to 8/15. Is that usually the trend? I'm having a hard time planning interviews due to limited time off for them. If I know I've gotten all the interviews I can get, I will stop waiting and just plan accordingly.

I really appreciate your advice! I love the forums on SDN, they got me through medical school, studying for step 1, residency applications and now this.

Here are my updates to the list:

Interviews:
7/16: Northwestern, UMass, Stanford, Tufts, Rutgers, Tulane, University of Illinois Chicago
7/18: Henry Ford, University of Wisconsin, Medical College of Wisconsin, University of Colorado, Penn State
7/19: Vanderbilt, UIC, SUNY Downstate, USC, UNM
7/22: UT Houston, Einstein Montefiore, Yale, East Carolina University

Hi! I also read here that the PTAL will not longer be required for applicants to CA programs...https://www.erasfellowshipdocuments.org/Instructions/DocumentSubmission/DocumentSubmission

But then inside MyEras there is still the place to upload the PTAL and it still says that CA programs require it...What do you guys think???

I have received multiple CA invites. I am not from CA, nor do I have a PTAL. Should be good!

How many interviews do people plan on going to? Right now, I have 14 and think that may be too many.

How many interviews do people plan on going to? Right now, I have 14 and think that may be too many.
Yeah, I have about 15 invites but I think I will only be going to 10 or less. I am surprised that the interviews are still being sent out but with only limited dates to choose from.

Depending on your credentials, 14 is way too many interviews to go on. ID is still a buyers market. I'd cap it at 10 unless you're in a major Metro area and can easily go to 4-5 invites via Subway (i.e. NYC).

Interviews:
8/12: Vanderbilt (2)
8/16: OHSU (2)

Rejections:

Last edited:
I have 19 invites and I'm still confused about how many I'm gonna actually go to.

I have 19 invites and I'm still confused about how many I'm gonna actually go to.

Well... we need to stop “being confused” and cancel IVs ASAP so other people can get a chance.

Just saying...